Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think unless there's a large influx of players at Monday evening's training session the likelihood is the club will go into recess for a season, not close down altogether.
Yesterday's session I would estimate there were around 10 or so players, not enough.
Tellingly, there were very few supporters there to offer support, only the same old faces.
Most of them were over 70 years of age, probably twenty at best.
To even put a side into the reserve grade competition, you would need around 30-35 players to accommodate for injuries, unavailabilty due to work/family etc (last year Hobart had twenty-six players out with longer-term injuries).
Hobart could top up with players from the Master Rules as what happened last year but the reality is, most of these blokes are over 40 and having to play every second Sunday on top of playing SFL Reserves, you have to be extremely wary of burning these guys out and damaging their own setup and the club is cognisant of that.

I have it on very good authority that the number of player registrations at senior level in Tasmania is down by approximately 250 from this time twelve months ago.
That's a staggering amount.
How many have they lost at junior level?
People may laugh and snicker and lay the boots in to Hobart (and Claremont not long back) but they should also be looking over their shoulder because their club could be next! Won't take much.
So much of what is posted on Bigfooty is so factually incorrect it's actually quite laughable at times and could even be excused for being Betoota Advocate articles.
I could say a LOT more but it is not for public consumption at this time.
I do know that the club were about to sign a high profile coach and his son-in-law (an ex-Tiger) as assistant coach but he tragically died suddenly the same week.
Whilst it's disappointing, it is what it is and the club will eventually regroup and go again.
You’re right if you don’t have atleast 35 there’s no point starting as injuries and unavailability will hit.
I can’t see them coming back as I still think there is a shortage of 100 players a week down South.

They need atleast 35.

I got a feeling they will go ahead with a team and just bank on getting new players each week to fill in.

Will be some massive hidings handed out but I guess we have seen this before.

I've heard AFL Tas are right behind them because it would look downright embarrassing (well if it doesnt already with GL, NN and now Hobart all close to collapse) with three former state league clubs in peril especially with the AFL Team decision coming up.

I've heard AFL Tas are right behind them because it would look downright embarrassing (well if it doesnt already with GL, NN and now Hobart all close to collapse) with three former state league clubs in peril especially with the AFL Team decision coming up.
Well that and the former SFL president and the SFL vice president are Hobart men.

It’s all over for a senior side is the rumor but the decision remains if the have a reserves or go into recess

Well that and the former SFL president and the SFL vice president are Hobart men.

It’s all over for a senior side is the rumor but the decision remains if the have a reserves or go into recess
Just been announced they think they will field a reserves team in 2023 pending training this Wednesday

If you're referring to Russell Young and Callum Upchurch, Young had quite a bit to do with brokering the deal to keep Brighton from going into complete recess by putting a reserves team in the SFL when they had their issues a few years back.
So, even though he's no longer the SFL President, I would tend to think the current people would be following that blueprint as the last thing that comp needs is another club gone out of business completely.
"Yaaaayyy, let's watch Cygnet/Huonville/Lindisfarne battle for the flag every year - how exciting... " 🙄
Upchurch has no affinity with the football club at all and has had no involvement since he stepped down as president about three years ago, in fact it's a battle to get a sentence out of him most of the time since he left.

If you're referring to Russell Young and Callum Upchurch, Young had quite a bit to do with brokering the deal to keep Brighton from going into complete recess by putting a reserves team in the SFL when they had their issues a few years back.
So, even though he's no longer the SFL President, I would tend to think the current people would be following that blueprint as the last thing that comp needs is another club gone out of business completely.
"Yaaaayyy, let's watch Cygnet/Huonville/Lindisfarne battle for the flag every year - how exciting... " 🙄
Upchurch has no affinity with the football club at all and has had no involvement since he stepped down as president about three years ago, in fact it's a battle to get a sentence out of him most of the time since he left.
I don’t disagree with you.
SFL are and have been supporting as much as they can.
Russell I believe has been right behind Munting as you would expect though.

Upchurch interesting one as he’s on the SFL exec with no affiliation

Either way. It seems they have gone from a hopeless situation to a now less hopeless one at least

(Log in to remove this ad.)

🐯MEDIA RELEASE🐯
The Time is Now – Game on at Tigerland

Following the Hobart Football Club’s Call to Arms the club has been buoyed by the level of support the club has received from its community over recent days.

HFC President Josh Munting urged those considering playing Football in 2023 that the time is now, “if you want to play footy and support a proud club to continue, we need you on the training track tomorrow (Wednesday night), 6pm at the TCA Ground”.

Training last night saw AFL Legends Mathew Armstrong and Jay Schulz supporting Club Coach Dylan Huxley in running training.

Pleasingly the club had seven new players at training commit last night and saw over 20 players on the track, following training returning to the TCA Ground.

Munting said of training last night “the feel was fantastic with a number of returning players, as well as a number of new players who are willing to step up and support our club.”

The club is still actively looking to attract new or returning players from the Greater Hobart area to support our club’s rich history.

The Club will provide an indication to the SFL Executive later in the week with Munting optimistic the club would be in a position to field a stand-alone Reserves side, similar to the position taken by the Brighton Football Club in 2019.

The HFC will establish a sub-committee to plan for Season 2024, with the club looking to attract quality Hobart people to rebuild its senior program.

HFC President Josh Munting said "it was fantastic that the players responded to the call out today and that the club has some quality individuals who are prepared to step up and support the rich history of their club".

Training next week will shift to Tuesday and Thursdays, 6pm at the TCA Ground.

For anyone that hasn’t seen it from the Hobart Facebook page.

Remove this Banner Ad

Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back