Squad for NAB Cup Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the doubt? Looking at the list for the MMC GF there is only 1 player outside the 22 who is likely to come in (Jaensch), plus Rutten & Douglas who are being rested due to injury.

What changes do you consider likely?

I think Sando is giving Doughty one final chance to nail a spot for R1 ;) Jaensch will come in for him

*** This is what i hope anyway :confused:

You are right with the others its Shaw v Otten and

Wright v Callinan although i would love both these guys to play. Sando reckons douglas is best 22 easily however?

Hendo will have to play well. He has got the tools would be great if he can put it togethor.

Our defence looks a little brittle without the ever reliable Truck Rutten, especially against the "big man" forward power of the Eagles....cerainly going to be a big test for Talia and Shaw. We must effectively "tag" Kerr to win it IMO!!

Our defence looks a little brittle without the ever reliable Truck Rutten, especially against the "big man" forward power of the Eagles....cerainly going to be a big test for Talia and Shaw. We must effectively "tag" Kerr to win it IMO!!

Yeah, I'm less worries this week about our defense than I was last. The Eagles are without Kennedy, Lynch and LeCras, leaving key forward duties to Darling who's more of a third tall and their 3 ruckman. Ruckman can be dangerous due to their height, but more often than not lack the instincts to be truly damaging when used as the full time focal points.

Douglas in trouble I reckon, especially if we play well in the GF.

Possession is nine tenths of the law.

And seeing as he picks the wrong option six tenths of the time and slips over or gets smothered the other four tenths of the time I'm tipping he'll get one tenth of the B&V votes that Neil gave him in 2010.

would be amazingly confused if jaensch isnt a starter for round 1. was one of our best near the end of last season and seemed to keep it up in his preseason appearances
He stopped player after Round 17 IIRC

Douglas is in no trouble at all. Stop trolling Carl.

Here's a quote from the AFC website, regarding Douglas:
Douglas missed the Club’s round three NAB Cup win over Collingwood because of soreness and Sanderson said the in-form midfielder was disappointed to miss out again this week.

“Dougy was really close. He’s disappointed, but we just felt there was no point in taking risks with players, who we could expose to injury,” Sanderson said.

“It was a tough call because he’s been one of our best performed players throughout the summer and he’s certainly in our best 22. I’m sure he’ll be in our calculations for round one.
http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/130736/default.aspx

Jaensch on the other hand...

I had him in my 19 "definites", so I'm as curious about this one as everyone else on the board.

Aren't they Emergencies? I thought we were back to full season rules in that regard...
Definitely substitutes:
Matt Jaensch, Sam Kerridge and Tom Lynch will start the Grand Final as substitutes.

The three substitutes can be reset at half-time after the AFL decided to allow teams to play 25 players in the final round of the NAB Cup rather than 22 players initially proposed.
http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/130736/default.aspx

A nice looking squad. However, I'm shocked about Jaensch. Would have thought he would've been infront of even Bernie after the week he had. I too like to think they're giving Doughty 1 last chance to impress.

The Shaw selection makes sense. They probably figure they gain more out of giving Shaw a run in a high intencity game than risk Rutten for nothing.

Like it or hate it, Reilly is in Sando's best 22 people. Experience counts for something aswell as a mature body.

This is the Wright vs Callinan showdown. Wright gets a head start because he's already on the senior list. Wingnut would know this. Expect him to have a blinder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Jaensch -
I would've thought he was a definite for round 1 too, especially as he's taken most of the kick ins. Maybe its just rotation as he has played all the pre-season games, whereas Doughty and Stiffy have missed one. Its those medical scientists confusing us! Maybe the plan is he just plays the last 3 quarters??

Lynch - surprised he's been subbd so much over pre season as he seems a nice lead up foil with Tip and Walker, and surround those 3 with Porp and 2 rovers. One of them , as others also think is Wright v Callinan.

Other than that its about what I expected.

We has one spot free to upgrade a free rookie due to only doughty being on our veterans list.

Re: Jaensch

Way I look at it these three will be subbed with another three meaning 6 players will only get half a game, and assuming Rutten an Douglas will come in means at least 1 of the 6 will be in the round 1 game. I would say its rotation nothing more. All three are still in the race for round 1 in my view.

Ah, interesting, cheers for that Vader. Makes sense really, I thought it was a bit tough of the AFL to trim it to 22 for what is still only a glorified trial game. One of the great things about the NAB Cup (I know there aren't many:eek:), is that the extended interchange's allow clubs to trial younger players who might otherwise not get a game.

I wonder whether the club will use these substitutes as a bit of a try out for 3 of the spots. Ie play Henderson for the first half, Lynch for the second. Doughty/Reilly for the first half, Jaensch for the second, with a similar deal for Kerridge.

Given this is how the rules are working, I guess our 22 isn't as set as it would have been with the original format.

This is the Wright vs Callinan showdown. Wright gets a head start because he's already on the senior list. Wingnut would know this. Expect him to have a blinder.

I'm not so sure it is, I think a small forward combo of Porplyzia, Wright and Callinan could be quite effective, especially considering Sando's focus on ensuring that we know how to play tough, scrappy, messy type footy, the type that is commonly seen in finals and it is these types of players who tend to excel, especially if they've got a couple of big targets to work off of.

All three of Poprs, Wright and Callinan seem to offer something different to the side and can all rotate through the midfield too, which is important. If we look at Geelong as a bit of a guide to how Sando will want to play, they have always looked to have midfielders who can rotate forward and genuinely have an impact. Their defense on the other hand tends to work more as a unit, with less rotations, which I think makes sense.

A nice looking squad. However, I'm shocked about Jaensch. Would have thought he would've been infront of even Bernie after the week he had. I too like to think they're giving Doughty 1 last chance to impress.
Doughty's position is not in any danger at all. His selection for R1 is 100% secure.
Like it or hate it, Reilly is in Sando's best 22 people. Experience counts for something aswell as a mature body.
Agreed. The same applies to Doughty.
Should be worth the entry fee for this alone.

I'm not so sure it is, I think a small forward combo of Porplyzia, Wright and Callinan could be quite effective, especially considering Sando's focus on ensuring that we know how to play tough, scrappy, messy type footy, the type that is commonly seen in finals and it is these types of players who tend to excel, especially if they've got a couple of big targets to work off of.

All three of Poprs, Wright and Callinan seem to offer something different to the side and can all rotate through the midfield too, which is important. If we look at Geelong as a bit of a guide to how Sando will want to play, they have always looked to have midfielders who can rotate forward and genuinely have an impact. Their defense on the other hand tends to work more as a unit, with less rotations, which I think makes sense.

I think the small forward combo will be Porps, Callinan and Petrenko. With Petrenko's spot in the forward line also being rotated with resting midfielder.

This is the personnel I'd like to see in our forward line.

HF: Lynch Tippett Petrenko/rotating mid
FF: Callinan Walker Porps

They'll probably all move around within that forward structure of course.

I like Wright, but I don't think he fits in the preferred forward line at this stage. Same goes for Knights ATS.

Only shock is Jaensch, and that really depends on how we read the cheet - are the subs the guys who are going to miss out, with this game a real last shot at earning round 1 selection? Or are the 3 subs and 4-5 players on the field all running at equal chances for the same few spots, and the dice roll put these three on the bench?

Rotations, rotations, rotations. The new word we will be hearing plenty of this season. It is going to be a pain in the posterior for DT and SC.

Jaenschy and Lynch are certs to play round 1, both have performed very well so far this season. Still think Jaensch has Doughty's spot in the back half, but if not Doughty then maybe Mackay drops out round 1. Good to see Kerridge gets a start, could be on the fast track to early season games.

Think we are going to be stretched in the backs if the big Cox starts at FF.

PerthNow said:
A change to the AFL's interchange rules for the final week of the pre-season has opened the door for up to six first choice Eagles to return for Saturday's grand final.

West Coast was yesterday advised by the AFL that, for all games this weekend, the three emergency players could be activated after half-time.

At this stage, those named in the emergencies will still get the opportunity to play half a game. I would suggest that Jaensch won't play if we are a) winning/losing by a significant margin or b) no one gets injured. Think it might be our last chance to see Kerridge for a little while.

Rotations, rotations, rotations. The new word we will be hearing plenty of this season. It is going to be a pain in the posterior for DT and SC.

Jaenschy and Lynch are certs to play round 1, both have performed very well so far this season. Still think Jaensch has Doughty's spot in the back half, but if not Doughty then maybe Mackay drops out round 1. Good to see Kerridge gets a start, could be on the fast track to early season games.

Think we are going to be stretched in the backs if the big Cox starts at FF.
I thought Jaensch was a dead cert.. now I'm not so sure. Doughty is a lock, the same goes for Mackay. The surprise is that they've gone with Henderson instead of Jaensch.

Remember the debate earlier, about whether we could fit Johncock, Reilly, Doughty & Jaensch all into the same back line? Turns out we missed one piece of the puzzle. The answer is no, you can't fit Stiffy, Radar, Doughty, Jaensch & Henderson all into the back line - and Jaensch appears most likely to be the odd man out.

Lynch was always in a battle with McKernan for one position. Given that McKernan has been named in the 22, I'd say we know who has won that battle.

I think we should get used to seeing Kerridge listed amongst the emergencies. Don't worry - our blessed run with injuries can't go on forever. His AFL debut will come sooner rather than later.

I thought Jaensch was a dead cert.. now I'm not so sure. Doughty is a lock, the same goes for Mackay. The surprise is that they've gone with Henderson instead of Jaensch.

Remember the debate earlier, about whether we could fit Johncock, Reilly, Doughty & Jaensch all into the same back line? Turns out we missed one piece of the puzzle. The answer is no, you can't fit Stiffy, Radar, Doughty, Jaensch & Henderson all into the back line - and Jaensch appears most likely to be the odd man out.

Lynch was always in a battle with McKernan for one position. Given that McKernan has been named in the 22, I'd say we know who has won that battle.

I think we should get used to seeing Kerridge listed amongst the emergencies. Don't worry - our blessed run with injuries can't go on forever. His AFL debut will come sooner rather than later.

I'd have thought Jaensch was a certainty. Probably need to wait to see how and for who they use the subs before we get to carried away though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Squad for NAB Cup Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back