Squad for NAB Cup Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the reason I actually prefer him as a loose man down back - I trust him a lot more kicking over a mark than I do in a contest (his two shanks last weekend notwithstanding :p)
Yep :thumbsu:

He's definitely best suited to a role down back.

How good is it to have a fit and healthy list!!:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Also, what has happened with Johnston? I thought he looked certain to push first 22 at the start of pre season, but he has barely played and he isn't injured... Anyone have a clue what is going on:confused:

Love the squad too, Jenkins and Tambo would be the ones I hope we see early in the season though.

Agree with u Baccs, so nice to finally have our squad managed properly.
Jenkins from what ive been told still needs some development time. Expect him to play a bit in the SANFL.
Tambo and Johnston i spoke of in another thread, maybe Sando is playing with them, they both seem fragile mentally.

For the people asking about Johnston (he grew up in my hometown) I have heard that he came back home for a 50th but was seen at our local pub off tap. His attitude has always been a prob, still puzzled we gave up 2 picks for him.

Yeah, I very much disagree, but its been done to death in other threads.

I only really repeated it, because apparently if criticism isnt posted in every thread, AFGM is going to repeatedly comment on it. :p

While disagreeing on Crouch, I must say I was surprised/disappointed at just how conservative the selection was.

Douglas in trouble I reckon, especially if we play well in the GF.

Possession is nine tenths of the law.

And seeing as he picks the wrong option six tenths of the time and slips over or gets smothered the other four tenths of the time I'm tipping he'll get one tenth of the B&V votes that Neil gave him in 2010.

He stopped player after Round 17 IIRC

yeah it was around that time, i meant before he got injured. totally forgot the injury though.

What?!

At the first hint of physical pressure he panics, rushes his disposal so that he doesn't get hurt and turns it over.

He's a time and space player. Needs both in vast quantities in order to flourish.

The NAB Cup is his ideal environment.

Have to strongly disagree on this one mate. His lack of composure under pressure is evident, but I dont think it's related to a lack of courage, or fear of the contest.

For the people asking about Johnston (he grew up in my hometown) I have heard that he came back home for a 50th but was seen at our local pub off tap. His attitude has always been a prob, still puzzled we gave up 2 picks for him.

My memory is pretty bad, but I thought we only gave up Armstrong for Johnston and thought we did pretty well considering the position we were in.

Have to strongly disagree on this one mate. His lack of composure under pressure is evident, but I dont think it's related to a lack of courage, or fear of the contest.

What would cause this then?

My memory is pretty bad, but I thought we only gave up Armstrong for Johnston and thought we did pretty well considering the position we were in.

We actually gave up Armstrong plus two picks (35 and 68) for Johnston. It was a three way deal, with 35 and 68 going to St. Kilda who passed Tommy Walsh on to Sydney.

That said, we got pick 68 in the first place by trading pick 24 for picks 27, 31 and 68, so it was a bit convoluted all around :p

We actually gave up Armstrong plus two picks (35 and 68) for Johnston. It was a three way deal, with 35 and 68 going to St. Kilda who passed Tommy Walsh on to Sydney.

That said, we got pick 68 in the first place by trading pick 24 for picks 27, 31 and 68, so it was a bit convoluted all around :p

Thanks Stabby. Forgot about those, but if Sydney weren't willing to give up anything else for Armstrong, then I guess our hands were pretty much tied. Considering I get the feeling we probably would've taken Kerridge at 24 if we still had it anyway, I don't think we did too bad. :eek:

What would cause this then?

I think it's just human nature. He's forced to make a quick decision under pressure, and his instinct is often poor. Some people are more adept at thinking quickly than others just as some can run faster, or jump higher. While fear or contact may impact the ability to make that decision in some player's cases I dont think that is the case with Reilly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What?!

At the first hint of physical pressure he panics, rushes his disposal so that he doesn't get hurt and turns it over.

He's a time and space player. Needs both in vast quantities in order to flourish.

The NAB Cup is his ideal environment.

Pretty much what Ad76 has already said - you are making a completely irrational link between his execution of skills under pressure with a lack of courage and 'not wanting to get hurt'.

Not disputing that he can burn the ball occassionally (though I think this is overstated at times also - cue the stat geeks), but that's another topic. The observation was that he does not shirk a physical contest when it's his turn to 'go'.

You only have to go back as far as last weeks match to see a couple of grabs he took going back with the flight. He's just as willing to jump head first into a contest to extract a loose ball, and he shows a good degree of controlled aggression towards his opponents as well.

Courage is not an issue imo.

You only have to go back as far as last weeks match to see a couple of grabs he took going back with the flight. He's just as willing to jump head first into a contest to extract a loose ball, and he shows a good degree of controlled aggression towards his opponents as well.

Courage is not an issue imo.
Compare this to Jaensch who as 21Knights mentioned, squibbed several aerial and ground level contests on Friday night. I'm a fan of MJ but it wasn't a good look.

Compare this to Jaensch who as 21Knights mentioned, squibbed several aerial and ground level contests on Friday night. I'm a fan of MJ but it wasn't a good look.

Yeah - agreed. His disposal is sublime, but would love to see him a bit harder at it. If he can get that part of his game sorted, he would be awesome.

I am surprised Wright is in. Hasn't set the world alight in the preason or i just havent noticed him much. I guess he is in because of his form last year?

Carl, turning it over by foot because of perceived pressure has nothing to do with courage. I seriously have no idea where you got that from. Have you played footy?

Carl, turning it over by foot because of perceived pressure has nothing to do with courage. I seriously have no idea where you got that from. Have you played footy?

I guess if your courageous you arent affected by perceived pressure which means your unlikely to turn the ball over as much as someone with the same skills but who is less courageous and more likely to be affected by perceived pressure.....

Well, you've just proven that you haven't.

Willingness to take a hit is the concern. Reilly isn't so he offloads the ball in a rush, hence the turnovers.

Just a tad.. that's why I've been pumping his tyres all summer. Now I feel a certain sense of vindication. ;):p
Pumping his tyres is the understatement of the decade. Didn't you recently state that Reilly was our third best midfielder? :D You've expelled so much hot air on this subject, you've blown his tyres clean up.

Thompson, Vince, van Berlo, Sloane, Porplyzia and Douglas are all clearly better. Dangerfield even up to the end of last year was arguably better, and he very much appears to have taken a step up since then.

Pumping his tyres is the understatement of the decade. Didn't you recently state that Reilly was our third best midfielder? :D You've expelled so much hot air on this subject, you've blown his tyres clean up.

Thompson, Vince, van Berlo, Sloane, Porplyzia and Douglas are all clearly better. Dangerfield even up to the end of last year was arguably better, and he very much appears to have taken a step up since then.
Statistically, Reilly was our 3rd best player last year, with 418 disposals. Only Thompson & VB had more. On a disposal per game basis he falls to 6th, with Sloane, Vince & Scott Stevens :eek: averaging more.

Those are the facts.

Now, we can put whatever context we like around them. You can argue that he was supposedly tagging some players who made a mess of us from time to time. You can also argue that he played the last few games in defence, rather than in the midfield.

BTW, I think you're stretching it a bit to suggest that Dangerfield had a better finish to the season. In the last 6 games (ie post-NC) Dangerfield had 27, 12, 21, 16, 31 & 15 disposals, for an erratic average of 20.3 disposals per game +/- 7.42 (standard deviation). In the same period, Reilly had 19, 20,20, 22, 25 & 17, for a much more consistent average of 20.5 disposals per game +/- 2.74. There's next to nothing in the average, but Reilly's consistency wins out easily.

That's statistics though. Dangermouse was mainly in the midfield & forward line, Reilly was mainly in defence. We're not exactly comparing apples with apples.

The comparison with Porps is an interesting one. Porps has never spent a lot of time in the midfield, playing mainly in the forward line due to a lack of pace/engine size. Yes, I rate Porps the better player overall, but there's a reasonable case to be made that Reilly is the better midfielder.

Well based on last years performance he was....

No way did Vince / Porps (obviously) / Douglas / Danger have better years than Reilly last year... I think he was on par with VB and easily qualified as our 3rd or 4th best midfielder in 2011....

Its more of an indication of our list than how good Reilly was....

But honestly - based on last year which midfielder outplayed him other than Sloane and Thommo (and possibly VB?)... the guy was 3rd at our club for disposals / 2nd in tackles / 6th in clearances (dougie, vince, sloane, VB were marginally better).

Remove this Banner Ad

Squad for NAB Cup Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back