Squad for NAB Cup Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

amer

Cancelled
Nov 26, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
They decided not to risk Douglas or Rutten. Knights, Martin and Luke Thompson dropped, while Jaensch, Kerridge and Lynch start as the subs.

3. Brent Reilly
4.Kurt Tippett
5.Scott Thompson
7. Nathan van Berlo
9. Rory Sloane
10. Matthew Jaensch*
11. Michael Doughty
12. Daniel Talia
13. Taylor Walker
14. David Mackay
17. Bernie Vince
18. Graham Johncock
22. Andy Otten
23. Jared Petrenko
24. Sam Jacobs
27. Tom Lynch*
29. Sam Kerridge*
32. Patrick Dangerfield
33. Brodie Smith
34. Sam Shaw
35. Shaun McKernan
37. Ian Callinan
40. Jason Porplyzia
45. Ricky Henderson
47. Matt Wright

They decided not to risk Douglas or Rutten. Knights, Martin and Luke Thompson dropped, while Jaensch, Kerridge and Lynch start as the subs.

3. Brent Reilly
4.Kurt Tippett
5.Scott Thompson
7. Nathan van Berlo
9. Rory Sloane
10. Matthew Jaensch*
11. Michael Doughty
12. Daniel Talia
13. Taylor Walker
14. David Mackay
17. Bernie Vince
18. Graham Johncock
22. Andy Otten
23. Jared Petrenko
24. Sam Jacobs
27. Tom Lynch*
29. Sam Kerridge*
32. Patrick Dangerfield
33. Brodie Smith
34. Sam Shaw
35. Shaun McKernan
37. Ian Callinan
40. Jason Porplyzia
45. Ricky Henderson
47. Matt Wright

A few interesting choices there...

Knights missing out for one..
Jaensch as a sub instead of Doughty, looks liek they have decided Doughty is a round 1 starter, I personally don't like that and it's known I am over the Reilly mistakes, he seems a cert for best 22 though as they are making all the plays through him out of the backline, wish Jaensch was that key man, so much better with the ball in his hands.. Hopefully Reilly proves me wrong now.. Tough for selectors in a few weeks time, hope Knights hits strong SANFL form.

I agree with you adelcrows..

Would prefer Jaensch in for Reilly - agree about his turnovers hurting and just glaring so much, even though I do acknolwedge the very strong things he does.

So possible lineup:

FB: Johncock | Talia | Otten
HB: Doughty | Shaw | Reilly
C: van Berlo | Thompson | Mackay
HF: Vince | Tippett | Petrenko
FF: Porplyzia | Walker | Callinan
Foll: Jacobs | Dangerfield | Sloane

Int: Smith | McKernan | Henderson | Wright

Emg: Jaensch | Lynch | Kerridge

Surprised Shaw made the cut, I always felt that when he had the ball he did not cope all that well the with pressure, however he has amazing potential and playing in this final will do him the world of good.

i like the fire power we have on the bench i think they are all game breakers and will no doubt be used.

Glad wright and Wingnut are in although i don't know how we can squeeze them both in round one.

ADELAIDE
B:
G.Johncock, D.Talia, A.Otten
HB: M.Doughty, S.Shaw, B.Smith
C: B.Reilly, S.Thompson, D.Mackay
HF: B.Vince, K.Tippett, J.Petrenko
F: J.Porplyzia, T.Walker, M.Wright
Foll: S.Jacobs, P.Dangerfield, N.van Berlo
Int: R.Sloane, S.McKernan, I.Callinan, R.Henderson
Emerg: M.Jaensch, T.Lynch, S.Kerridge

WEST COAST
B:
S.Butler, D.Glass, S.Hurn
HB: B.Waters, W.Schofield, A.Selwood
C: M.Rosa, M.Priddis, A Embley
HF: C. Masten, J.Darling, M.Nicoski
F: J. Hill, D. Cox, A.Hams
Foll: N.Naitanui, S.Selwood, D.Kerr
Int: E. Mackenzie, A.Gaff, P.McGinnity, S.Lycett
Emerg: K.Stevens, L.Shuey, G.Weedon

Personally I would have had Lynch in for Henderson. But I guess Henderson is showing he can play virtually anywhere, whereas I dont know how Lynch would do on a wing.

Id also have Jaensch in for Wright or Reilly, so much more creativity in Jaensch.

No real surprises amongst the omissions. Jenkins is the other notable omission, having clearly lost his battle with Lynch & McKernan.

I think it's interesting that Jaensch has been listed as a substitute. Logic says that the 3 subs would be the 3 players to miss out if this were a 22-player team. I had Jaensch as one of the 19 "definites" and I don't recall seeing a R1 team which didn't include him.

The question then arises.. who drops out to make way for Douglas & Rutten? Rutten would replace Shaw (possibly Otten). Douglas would have to replace either Callinan or Wright - whoever is the lesser on Saturday night, I suspect... maybe Henderson?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So just to clarify - Jaensch, Kerridge and Lynch still have a chance to come into the game?

Do the subs get reset at halftime as in previous weeks?

A little dissapointing as those are three guys I would have loved to see in R1.

Yes they do, they are subs not emergencies as some have listed them in the line up. These 3 can be reset after half time as in previous weeks.

Diassapointed to see Jaensch and Lynch as subs. Henderson is obviously rated much hihger at the club than many on this board including myself.

To be fair on Henderson, I was watching the replay of the Collingwood game last night and there was a moment where he was going back with the flight of the ball into a contest and he almost didn't flinch.

Here are the surprises/decisions (for R1) as I see it..
  • Henderson in, Jaensch out.. who saw that one coming?
  • Wright vs Callinan.. to borrow a line from "Highlander", "there can be only ONE".
  • Otten vs Shaw.. one of these will make way for Rutten - but which one?

Rolling through each...

- Hendo did look exceptional against the lions. Provided a lot of drive off half back and, surprisingly (never been sold on this), he was hitting targets everywhere. Only the one game, but it must have impressed the boys at the top.

- Agreed. As you've said before, Callinan would probably only be marginally ahead, given Wright played plenty of footy last year. The audition is still on this weekend you'd think!

- I'd reckon Shaw will get the flick. Applied himself well, there's clearly upside, but his composure has been costly at times. Otten only needs a solid game this weekend to secure the spot in my opinion.

You guys missing Rutten and us Kennedy seems to even out (coincedentally to the same issue).

Should be a great hitout for both teams.

Do you guys know if Sanderson has eluded to which blokes might be subbed out?

For us Embley is a certainty to disappear at half time and I daresay Cox may go out at half time as well.

Hendo? Really? He does have exceptional pace coming out of defence, I guess it's worth a go.

Jaensch better be in our R1 First XXI. Oh well, in Sando we trust. :)

While I could split hairs on one or two selcetions, I think on the whole the selectors got it right. Great to have the 25 as there are still a couple of spots up for grabs in my opinion.

I highly doubt this is an accurate representation of our Round 1 squad. Sando would still be trying different set ups and squads this weekend.
Why the doubt? Looking at the list for the MMC GF there is only 1 player outside the 22 who is likely to come in (Jaensch), plus Rutten & Douglas who are being rested due to injury.

What changes do you consider likely?

Why the doubt? Looking at the list for the MMC GF there is only 1 player outside the 22 who is likely to come in (Jaensch), plus Rutten & Douglas who are being rested due to injury.

What changes do you consider likely?

I think the personnel are correct minus Douglas and Rutten but I don't think the make up of the squad is completely accurate.

But I'm not the coach it's just my hunch. We'll see in a couple weeks!

Remove this Banner Ad

Squad for NAB Cup Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back