St Kilda has Gary Ayres in mix

Remove this Banner Ad

As I recall it Dunstall was acting CEO. Dunstall and Brereton - who I think was Director of Football at the time - and a third person were appointed to make a recommendation to the board. 2 to 1 for Clarkson with Brereton going for Ayres.

Think Wallace was in the frame for awhile too but Richmond offered him more dosh and a longer term so he grabbed that post.

Yep, that's how I recall it as well.

Dermie wanted Ayres - now what does that tell you about Dermie? Probably nothing that you didn't know already! ;)

Don't like the guy either but he gets the blame for things that were not his fault, Ablett has since confessed he was a drug addict for one thing while Hocking was selfish near the end.

He was unlucky in 95 and 97.

Ayres...pffft...too many Cat legends left when he was in charge.
More importantly, I really couldn't stand seeing that ugly big head on commercial tv again, let alone up beside some of those saint players like Reiwoldt and Milne.
Oh wait- yes, I hope he gets the job!

Seems he has become a far better people manager, coach, and has amazing credentials at Port. If he is wanting to be an AFL career coach, deserves another shot. Good luck to him. Has Hinkley pulled himself out of contention??

Dermie wanted Ayres - now what does that tell you about Dermie? Probably nothing that you didn't know already! ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Then Dermie lied on the panel show he appeared on then, because he said at the time he didn't want Ayres coaching (Maybe he was covering his own ass. I mean Dermie will do anything to make himself look good).

---------------------------------------------------------------------

If what Ammo man said is right, then Dunstall didn't want Ayres as coach of Hawthorn. He too was a premiership team-mate of Ayres.

What does that say about Ayres?

Yea I was never a fan of Gary Ayres, but I must admit. When he took over he did clean out the club and we did go close in 1997, if it wasnt for fixturing and weather we could have been the 1997 premiers. And lets be honest Adelaides 1997 and 1998 flags were won in years where there wasnt a lot of depth in the competition and everyone else fell down around them. But you have to be there to win it and thats what Adelaide did. As the same with Sydney in 2005 and nearly going back to back. So to be honest he probably does deserve another chance. I would personally like to see him as an assistant coach first for a year or two and maybe have a crack at a lower club like Port Adelaide, Brisbane, etc. I do think the footy public has gone a bit harsh on him although he does have himself to blame for leaving Geelong for money. Foolish move. As was Malcolm Blights.

You could probably make a case, that defends Ayres' time at Geelong, along these lines.

Before Geelong could be successful again, the club needed to be totally cleaned out. It needed to be stripped right back to the bare bones, where the only way was up. It had to have a re-birth as an almost entirely different entity. Ayres had a big hand in this process.

Frank, Bomber, Cookie were then able to start afresh, recreating the "New Geelong."

If this is in fact part of the story, then Ayres did his bit.

FORMER AFL coach Gary Ayres was informed over the weekend that he was no longer in the race for the St Kilda coaching position despite being within the final six.

It is likely that one of Scott Watters, Robert Harvey or Ken Hinkley will be handed the job in the coming days.
Source: footballnation.com.au

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, wouldn't this be a shock move. However, i doubt that the Saints will go after Gary Ayres, and if they did, they would be making a pretty bad move. I think Ayres is a good coach, but he's not good enough to coach in the AFL.

Well, wouldn't this be a shock move. However, i doubt that the Saints will go after Gary Ayres, and if they did, they would be making a pretty bad move. I think Ayres is a good coach, but he's not good enough to coach in the AFL.
Um! Seems they did. But he didn't make the final cut. See above.;)

You could probably make a case, that defends Ayres' time at Geelong, along these lines.

Before Geelong could be successful again, the club needed to be totally cleaned out. It needed to be stripped right back to the bare bones, where the only way was up. It had to have a re-birth as an almost entirely different entity. Ayres had a big hand in this process.

Frank, Bomber, Cookie were then able to start afresh, recreating the "New Geelong."

If this is in fact part of the story, then Ayres did his bit.

So, going by your logic, should Chris Scott "clean out" the club, retire all our 30-year-olds, focus totally on youth, and have us near the bottom of the ladder for a few years, until someone else comes in, and builds a superteam?

That's ridiculous. I like what Scotty is attempting to do, keep the veterans, but intergrate youth at the same time, so that when these players CHOOSE to retire (something they weren't given the choice of under Ayres), then there are players ready to step into the breach.

Ayres could have done this too. He could have kept Ablett, Couch, Bairstow and Brownless around, to help the young players, until the young guys (who have became today's stars) could pick up the slack themselves. Also, players like those four are OWED the right to retire on their own terms. They weren't holding players back.

I put to you that Geelong could have won the flag two years earlier, if the players had had veterans back in the day to fast-track their development. Part of the reason Allan Christensen has been such a gun is probably partly to do with the veteran players fast-tracking his and other's development.

If you "clean out the list" you had better do a Malcolm Blight in 1997 and win a flag soon after, or cop the fan's wrath.

catman said:
Then Dermie lied on the panel show he appeared on then, because he said at the time he didn't want Ayres coaching (Maybe he was covering his own ass. I mean Dermie will do anything to make himself look good).

sounds like dermie wasn't keen on ayres until he was an alternative to clarkson (that or he was just talking sh*t to avoid recommending anyone)

http://www.hawkheadquarters.com/article.aspx?articleid=1282

TheAge25/6/2004 said:
Hawthorn director Dermott Brereton said last night there was no place at the Hawks for recently departed Adelaide coach Gary Ayres, as a coach or in another football role.

http://www.hawkheadquarters.com/article.aspx?articleid=1540

TheAge13/10/2004 said:
Clarkson is well aware that Hawks football director Dermott Brereton preferred Gary Ayres for the coaching job and argued long and hard for him ahead of the Port Adelaide assistant

at this point it's hard to see st kilda challenging without a significant rebuild over a few years. given that, i wouldn't mind them getting a decent coach. "saints footy" becoming another imitation of geelong circa 2007 would be a big improvement. and it would be great to see riewoldt and goddard playing quality footy.

They are not content to recycle old players now they want to do it with failed coaches
Ayres was- and is a solid gold turkey
Good luck Saints if you start flogging that dead horse

That's ridiculous. I like what Scotty is attempting to do, keep the veterans, but intergrate youth at the same time, so that when these players CHOOSE to retire (something they weren't given the choice of under Ayres), then there are players ready to step into the breach.

Ayres could have done this too. He could have kept Ablett, Couch, Bairstow and Brownless around, to help the young players, until the young guys (who have became today's stars) could pick up the slack themselves. Also, players like those four are OWED the right to retire on their own terms. They weren't holding players back.

I put to you that Geelong could have won the flag two years earlier, if the players had had veterans back in the day to fast-track their development. Part of the reason Allan Christensen has been such a gun is probably partly to do with the veteran players fast-tracking his and other's development.

I'm not sure about that. It's nice for players are sometimes able to retire on their own terms as Cameron Ling has done, but you should never stop the natural evolution of the side to accommodate it.

Players shouldn't be owed a spot on the list when they aren't up to it anymore. Although it was unfortunate for Milburn and especially Mooney, those players being omitted was exactly the right thing to do. Scott picked the team that gave the club the best chance of winning the premiership. You can't be sentimental doing that. The fact is Hawkins single-handedly booted Mooney into retirement, because once his form improved (and kept improving) there could only be one of them selected. It was absolutely the best thing that could have happened for the club.

Regarding the four players you mentioned, they weren't all owed that. Bairstow certainly wasn't. His last game was the 1994 Grand Final and as captain he got annihilated by Dean Kemp. Ablett and Couch should definitely have been managed better, but that doesn't mean that they should have been retained on the list. Brownless was definitely finished, too many injuries and a failure to ever prepare himself properly saw him washed up at age 30.

Back on topic, I'm not sure Ayres would have had anything to do at St.Kilda anyway. His specialty is ignoring youngsters and recycling hacks. Lyon has already gone down that path well and truly.

So, going by your logic, should Chris Scott "clean out" the club, retire all our 30-year-olds, focus totally on youth, and have us near the bottom of the ladder for a few years, until someone else comes in, and builds a superteam?

Mmmmm. Apples and apples? I think not. The whole club had to change from what it was in the 90s in order to be a success. Not so now.

See above.

These guys are not in the same league for success and leadership as our current crop of guns. Ablett the great role model? Brownless the great and steely leader? Couchy the brains of the outfit? Etc, etc.

Having said that, I loved these guys as players, and their final days at the Cattery could have been handled better.

Maybe. I think not. Sanderson, Bluely and few others did mentor the current crop when they were new.

Like who? If the loyal Colbert had stayed? Budda 'the cancer' Hocking? Which players are you be talking about who would have been great role models to any of the guys who have been in our recent flags? The ones you mention above would all have been long gone by the time the 1999/2001 draft arrived. Ablett went in 96, Couch and Brownless in 97, and Bairstow finished in 94.

If you "clean out the list" you had better do a Malcolm Blight in 1997 and win a flag soon after, or cop the fan's wrath.

Yep. Ayres failed badly if you are looking at it from that perspective.

I don't particularity like the guy, and "hate" the Hawks, but I think you can make a case that the club had to hit rock bottom and then start again to become what it now is.

In that case, Gary Ayres did a lot of the dirty work, and strangely played his part in our future success.

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda has Gary Ayres in mix

Remove this Banner Ad

Back