St Kilda President Andrew Bassat tees off on the AFL draft system, specifically father/son and the Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

So the Saints Pres insists that the draft & F/S system is flawed and that is part of the reason why they are always disadvantaged. He also admits they have made a lot of errors that have contributed to their shiteness.

Nek minnut ............... they go out and sign this perennial non-performer to an 8-year deal supposedly at around $1mil per season.

They have out-StKildered themselves yet again !!

Squeal all you like Saint Blunda, you will always be an irrelevance if you keep making stupid decisions like that !!
ok lets break this down

so he signed a 2 year extension on top of his remaining 2 years, with a "trigger" for an extension after that
Hawks are Paying Battle 1.1m next year, I know who I'd rather pay.

besides, who else are we paying?

decision-making advice from Carlton, that's not something anyone is going to accept

ok lets break this down

so he signed a 2 year extension on top of his remaining 2 years, with a "trigger" for an extension after that
Hawks are Paying Battle 1.1m next year, I know who I'd rather pay.

besides, who else are we paying?

decision-making advice from Carlton, that's not something anyone is going to accept

"St Kilda gun forward Max King has locked in his long-term future at the club by signing a new eight-year deal until 2032.

Already contracted until the end of 2026 — when he was due to become a free agent — the 24-year old has added another six years to his contract."

Why the hell was there such an urgent need to offer him another six years on top of the two he was already contracted for ???

Maybe the Saints should be focussing on the output of the player first & foremost.

"St Kilda gun forward Max King has locked in his long-term future at the club by signing a new eight-year deal until 2032.

Already contracted until the end of 2026 — when he was due to become a free agent — the 24-year old has added another six years to his contract."

Why the hell was there such an urgent need to offer him another six years on top of the two he was already contracted for ???

Maybe the Saints should be focussing on the output of the player first & foremost.

Maybe they understand to get a gun key forward moving through the Tassie establishment will be a nightmare.

it's funny as hell watching everyone lose their minds over little old insignificant St Kilda
Bassat is absolutely spot on

The competition expects us to sit down, shut up, take what we are given and say thank you for it

triggered a **** about a club that won 1 premiership in 151 years

No, the competition is just going to keep watching your mob self-implode as they have over the many decades.
you say that like Carlton hasn't just spent the last 20 years being worse than we have

I think a lot of Saints fans are missing some key points here.

What your president said about the F/S rules and the FA compo etc was extremely valid, the vast majority of footy fans do not like the flimsy way they are structured and adjudicated.

The irony being that a week after the public whinge, the Saints are given a first round pick for Battle's FA move. Whilst I am not suggesting they should knock back that deal, it does seem rather hypocritical to be slagging off the system one week and then taking everything with open arms the next.

Today we have King being given a 6-year contract extension on the basis of a rather chequered output across his career thus far, there was no need to extend it because he was already under contract. The best thing the Saints people could have done was given King a "smackdown" and told him to lift his game otherwise he may be traded next year.

This huge contract now makes him virtually untradeable too because no other club would go near him on that crazy money. If King does not fully graduate (and on current form, there is every possibility of that happening), then the Saints are stuck with an under-performing player on huge money that they will not be able to trade unless they absorb $300K-$400K of that salary every year. Again, that would be a really bad situation to find yourselves in.

Someone posted the stats on how many games theSaints win with him in and out of the team, it is not good reading either.

Rewarding a player in such a manner (i.e. big money & big contract) when there has not been the onfield output to deserve it is going to come back and bite them on the clack. Can you imagine what some of the up & coming players like Phillipou & Caminiti will be thinking now ??

"Hey, I have been a way better player and given you way better service than him, I want that sort of money now too".

No-one would begrudge those guys for asking for a huge payrise because quite clearly, onfield they have earnt it .......... King hasn't earnt a thing !!

So this comes back to my point about creating a good club culture, rewarding poor performance is going to have an adverse effect on that with the potential to derail any real progress within the club.

If you continually make bad, poor or shortsighted business decisions, how are you ever going to break the cycle you are always in ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What your president said about the F/S rules and the FA compo etc was extremely valid, the vast majority of footy fans do not like the flimsy way they are structured and adjudicated.

The irony being that a week after the public whinge, the Saints are given a first round pick for Battle's FA move. Whilst I am not suggesting they should knock back that deal, it does seem rather hypocritical to be slagging off the system one week and then taking everything with open arms the next.

Today we have King being given a 6-year contract extension on the basis of a rather chequered output across his career thus far, there was no need to extend it because he was already under contract. The best thing the Saints people could have done was given King a "smackdown" and told him to lift his game otherwise he may be traded next year.

This huge contract now makes him virtually untradeable too because no other club would go near him on that crazy money. If King does not fully graduate (and on current form, there is every possibility of that happening), then the Saints are stuck with an under-performing player on huge money that they will not be able to trade unless they absorb $300K-$400K of that salary every year. Again, that would be a really bad situation to find yourselves in.

Someone posted the stats on how many games theSaints win with him in and out of the team, it is not good reading either.

Rewarding a player in such a manner (i.e. big money & big contract) when there has not been the onfield output to deserve it is going to come back and bite them on the clack. Can you imagine what some of the up & coming players like Phillipou & Caminiti will be thinking now ??

"Hey, I have been a way better player and given you way better service than him, I want that sort of money now too".

No-one would begrudge those guys for asking for a huge payrise because quite clearly, onfield they have earnt it .......... King hasn't earnt a thing !!

So this comes back to my point about creating a good club culture, rewarding poor performance is going to have an adverse effect on that with the potential to derail any real progress within the club.

If you continually make bad, poor or shortsighted business decisions, how are you ever going to break the cycle you are always in ??

Amazing reading. Shame all is just trash.

When Carlton play in consecutive grand finals, then you can consider them on par with St Kilda.

On a par ??

You have been in the competition since 1897 yet have bugger all to show for it.

Playing in a couple of losing grand finals is all St. Kilda have to brag about, goddam laughing stock of the competition.

For the thousandth time, FA compensation is not the problem. How thick do you need to be to have not understood this by now?

It's almost like key forwards take time. Curnow didn't do anything until his 7th season.

Win a second premiership. :peace:
Since Carlton weren't allowed to cheat anymore, they've been the worst performing team in the competition. But please, continue enjoying your glorious premierships from when the Ottoman Empire still existed.

For the thousandth time, FA compensation is not the problem. How thick do you need to be to have not understood this by now?

It's almost like key forwards take time. Curnow didn't do anything until his 7th season.

Since Carlton weren't allowed to cheat anymore, they've been the worst performing team in the competition. But please, continue enjoying your glorious premierships from when the Ottoman Empire still existed.

(a) FA compensation is a major part of the problem even if you don't think it is, every club after the compo pick gets penalised in the draft order even though they have done nothing wrong - its rubbish !!

(b) Curnow was out injured for two years with an orthopaedic bungle, as for key forwards taking time, King was drafted in 2018 so its not like he hasn't had ample time to find some consistent evidence of his application & ability

(c) your mob saluted for the one & only time in 1966, since then, the Ottoman Empire have saluted a mere eight (8) times which is something you can only dream about, I understand your envy

irony, we've watched club after club take F/S, Academy/NGA, and FA, quite often affecting the players we've had to choose from (as most clubs), and watched our highly rated NGA player (McKenzie) go to another club whilst, your own club campaigned against rule changes being introduced this year because of self-interest, you only have to see how many Lions fans are arguing to realise self-interest rules this issue. But little ole St Kilda gets a small over-compensation and now we are being hypocritical because of it, give me a break.
I notice you never mentioned Perryman or Cumming, Band 1 and Band 2 same result, the only difference is they made finals and we didn't. Like most, it's the outrage because it's St Kilda and quite frankly Saints fans could not give a hoot what others think, McKay with Pick 3 last year got 1/2 the ire we are copping.

I mean we did lose a player another club is paying a minimum $850x6 and came 3rd in the B&F, even you wouldn't be happy if any of your top 10 B&F players left on the same coin with a pick in the 20's+

the Max King tirade has nothing to do with compensation AT ALL, says NOTHING about culture or any of the other drivel you sprouted, and everything about how ridiculous the salary cap floor is that a club low on the ladder has to seriously overpay players to meet it.

Carlton made shizen decisions for 20 years, the difference is St Kilda didn't get handed $2 million, didn't get handed the season-opening game, and didn't get handed 8 Friday night games for finishing last for a wooden spoon.

irony, we've watched club after club take F/S, Academy/NGA, and FA, quite often affecting the players we've had to choose from (as most clubs), and watched our highly rated NGA player (McKenzie) go to another club whilst, your own club campaigned against rule changes being introduced this year because of self-interest, you only have to see how many Lions fans are arguing to realise self-interest rules this issue. But little ole St Kilda gets a small over-compensation and now we are being hypocritical because of it, give me a break.
I notice you never mentioned Perryman or Cumming, Band 1 and Band 2 same result, the only difference is they made finals and we didn't. Like most, it's the outrage because it's St Kilda and quite frankly Saints fans could not give a hoot what others think, McKay with Pick 3 last year got 1/2 the ire we are copping.

I mean we did lose a player another club is paying a minimum $850x6 and came 3rd in the B&F, even you wouldn't be happy if any of your top 10 B&F players left on the same coin with a pick in the 20's+

the Max King tirade has nothing to do with compensation AT ALL, says NOTHING about culture or any of the other drivel you sprouted, and everything about how ridiculous the salary cap floor is that a club low on the ladder has to seriously overpay players to meet it.

Carlton made shizen decisions for 20 years, the difference is St Kilda didn't get handed $2 million, didn't get handed the season-opening game, and didn't get handed 8 Friday night games for finishing last for a wooden spoon.

I'm not picking on the Saints purely because they got a good deal for Battle leaving, its the bloody system that is wrong. I just found it rather ironic that your Pres got on his soapbox and had a big sook about that (and a range of things around the draft) and then .... nek minnut.

FA compo should be scrapped, not applied through a secret herbs & spices formula, every goddam year they hand out a grossly inflated pick for a player that is not worth that much.

You are right, the McKay pick last year was a farce and reinforces my view that the FA compo should be scrapped.

Your club can hand out inflated contracts all they like, you have to deal with them when they go pear-shaped. If that happened at the Blues, I'd be livid. Quite clearly, you and all your nuffie Saints mates don't understand club culture because you have never had one.

Yes, I know you will cite McKay & Curnow for the length of their contracts (which I don't fully agree with) but they are both Coleman medallists, they have some runs on the board.

St Kilda didn't get handed $2 million ?? FMD .............. I'll go and look up some numbers and get back to you on that.

Opening round ?? See, that's what happens when you get your ship in order, once again, you Saints nimrods are looking at everything from the wrong end.

I'm not picking on the Saints purely because they got a good deal for Battle leaving, its the bloody system that is wrong. I just found it rather ironic that your Pres got on his soapbox and had a big sook about that (and a range of things around the draft) and then .... nek minnut.

FA compo should be scrapped, not applied through a secret herbs & spices formula, every goddam year they hand out a grossly inflated pick for a player that is not worth that much.

You are right, the McKay pick last year was a farce and reinforces my view that the FA compo should be scrapped.

Your club can hand out inflated contracts all they like, you have to deal with them when they go pear-shaped. If that happened at the Blues, I'd be livid. Quite clearly, you and all your nuffie Saints mates don't understand club culture because you have never had one.

Yes, I know you will cite McKay & Curnow for the length of their contracts (which I don't fully agree with) but they are both Coleman medallists, they have some runs on the board.

St Kilda didn't get handed $2 million ?? FMD .............. I'll go and look up some numbers and get back to you on that.

Opening round ?? See, that's what happens when you get your ship in order, once again, you Saints nimrods are looking at everything from the wrong end.

Carlton getting their ship in order? And you expect people to take you seriously 🤣 was it not long ago half their fan base were threatening to throw in their membership

ah found it
$2Mill that the Bloos never paid back, on top of cash advances to keep the club afloat

Didn't you pay Martin over $1m?
and don't bother with the annual distributions until you can break down the numbers and tell me the "handout" portion

ship together!!

haha we played in the 4 previous season-opening games, but didn't host a single one
Blues finished last 2006
2007 - opening round
2007 season, blues 2nd last Richmond last
2008 - Opening round and on and on for a decade

and look, I didn't have to resort to calling you names or insulting your fan base.

I have no issue saying my club has been poor the last 10 years, but pretending Carlton got themselves out of their salary cap plight without AFL assistance is hogwash and deserved the raft of very favorable fixtures on merit is pure fantasy

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda President Andrew Bassat tees off on the AFL draft system, specifically father/son and the Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back