Preview St Kilda Saints vs. Fremantle Dockers, Round 1 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

If you went in with Fyfe, Jackson, Darcy and Tabs as your ruck and tall forwards, with our usual 4 smalls (Schultz, Switta, Freddie, Sonny), then given normal time on ground you would have 3 talls in the forward line less than half the time. Darcy and Jackson won’t do more than 80% time on ground, Fyfe and Tabs maybe 90%. That would give you 3 talls 40% of the time and 2 talls 60% of the time.

If you included Treacy or Amiss into the team and he did 80% game time and you dropped one of the 4 smalls, you would end up with 3 talls in the forward line 80% of the time and 4 talls 20% of the time.
For comparison, Lobb averaged over 97.5% tog across the whole season. Tabs does well over 90 (average tog is impacted by injured games), Logue was also super fit and constantly around 93% for his career.

jackson and tabs should be looking at 95%, Fyfe 90% as full time forwar, and Darcy 80-85. Gives you 70% with 3 talls. Still feels a bit light, especially given Fyfe isnt a true tall.

might have to do an ins and out from the finals teams to see what that looks like.

For comparison, Lobb averaged over 97.5% tog across the whole season. Tabs does well over 90 (average tog is impacted by injured games), Logue was also super fit and constantly around 93% for his career.

jackson and tabs should be looking at 95%, Fyfe 90% as full time forwar, and Darcy 80-85. Gives you 70% with 3 talls. Still feels a bit light, especially given Fyfe isnt a true tall.

might have to do an ins and out from the finals teams to see what that looks like.
Jackson has not done anything close to 80% average in his career so far, although could be expected to do more as he matures.

Tabs had 1 game in 2022 over 90%, although was higher in 2021.

Kicks over 40m have to be marked by the opposition to not be treated as effective. Acres' big issue with his game is that he gets the ball then holds up play before kicking long down the line to a contest.

That's super effective for the stats.

If you kick is 40m+ and it goes to grass, effective. If it goes to hands and is dropped by the opposition, effective.

This rule doesn't just apply to Acres

If we are too tall we need to go to the long bomb. That's where our advantage lies. Taberner, Jackson and Fyfe will win that battle against most defenses.

Fyfe and Jackson do have ground ball skills but they have some things that defenders can expose too. Our best strategy is for them to be marking targets. That leaves one more spot for a kpf which will go to Taberner.

An additional kpf either has to work in a rotation or makes us too tall. Taberner can't rotate, so we need Fyfe/Jackson rotating. That's in addition to any forward time Darcy gets. Not sure what advantage a 4th tall may give us?

In addition, with a Jackson/Fyfe forward stoppage combination we should be looking using that as often as possible. Long bomb to the forward boundaries either marked or taken over the boundary line for a throw in kind of thing.

We may improve our entries but we are setting up for the long bomb.

Am I wrong?

(Taylor: not meant as a direct reply to your post)
does this mean Acres was ahead of his time & just what we need this year? :p

Loving people (not having watched, lately), bagging Fyfe’s kicking. Let’s just run with line that his shots for goal are shite, then we are going to be in for a pleasant surprise. An average of 2 goals + 4 assists, will make me happy, extra and we are in bonus territory and a lot of eggy faces.

Think we have the measure of the Saints in this game, we finally have a pretty balanced team along all lines. Not going to fight over who is in the 22, they all have jobs to do, and I’m confident (after many finger nail chewing seasons), that who ever gets a job, will just go out and do it.

For the record, Pearce is not first selected, ....... Aish is the man.

does this mean Acres was ahead of his time & just what we need this year? :p

'Don't kick it long.' I don't think it would be the most difficult instruction a coach could give a player.

I assume players who are best 22 are doing what the coach is asking them to do. He's also a player we asked for in a trade, and he's played how he could be expected to play. He gets piled on here, but he's a genuine AFL player.

We seem to be considering Hughes as his replacement. Pretty much the closest like for like as we have on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O'Meara may have a minor sprain and should play, I just hope they are conservative as it's a long season.
O'Meara will not be the difference against the Saints. He is the clubs biggest professional besides Fyfe so fitness will not be a problem if we rest him round one. Debuting Johnson would be awesome but the game is being played away so idk how I feel about that.

O'Meara will not be the difference against the Saints. He is the clubs biggest professional besides Fyfe so fitness will not be a problem if we rest him round one. Debuting Johnson would be awesome but the game is being played away so idk how I feel about that.

Johnson could always be the sub and used accordingly

He has the running capacity to be a good sub at this stage

out of curiousity who would you bring in then, or who plays if O'Meara cannot..?!

It's a horrible way to debut though, I'm sure even Mundy spoke out about this with O'Driscoll last year (??)

It's for the team

I don't doubt that Johnson would like to start and he may well do so instead of sub.

As it's tactical then JLo can sub him anytime instead of waiting for a concussion

Alex Pearce went from doing a hammy to playing in the space of half a week

out of curiousity who would you bring in then, or who plays if O'Meara cannot..?!
Aish/Noddy to share center responsibilities and play Henry on the wing. Or we could go balls to the walls and play Jackson in the center. Wouldn't mind Ras getting some game time because he will have limited opportunities this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview St Kilda Saints vs. Fremantle Dockers, Round 1 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back