St Kilda v Freo NAB Cup - Unfair

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think that's the case anymore.

Freo are already in negotiation with the AFL to stage the Grand Final should they win which suggests that it's irrelevant who scores the most goals over the course of the competition.

I know people will joke, but the AFL have really put themselves up shit creek if both Port and Fremantle win on the weekend. Should have just played Port at home this week and any potential problems could have been avoided.

I know people will joke, but the AFL have really put themselves up shit creek if both Port and Fremantle win on the weekend. Should have just played Port at home this week and any potential problems could have been avoided.

I agree.

The AFL have cited logistical problems brought about by the staging of the Adelaide Festival.

Would that really have created the chaos that would warrant the game being played in Melbourne instead of Adelaide?

I mean it's hardly the same situation as having a rock concert staged at the actual stadium like in Perth.

I know I'm going to sound like a conspiracy theorist here, but I feel the AFL is going after where the bigger crowd will come from. We all know Port would probably be lucky to draw 20k while the Bulldogs will bring that and then some. The Adelaide Fringe/Festival is just an easy excuse for the AFL. Sure there are more people in town than usual, but even I could ring around tomorrow and find accommodation for the Bulldogs.

I said on the Port board we'd be better off throwing the game and taking the 1 hour flight to Mt.Gambier than having to go back to a Subiaco which could see more 37+ temps... that's only if Freo won of course.

I think you've gone a little early on this one Bart.

I've been impressed with the way he's gone about training and I thought he was one of the best players on the ground in the intra-club but he's hardly set the world on fire in the two NAB Cup games so far.

Let's give him some time to establish himself before we talk him up and ridicule the supporters of his former club because to this point he hasn't proven them wrong.

It's a similar situation to 12 months ago when we picked up Farren Ray and this place was full of Bulldogs supporters who (mostly) thought it was hilarious. As the season went on it turned to anger as they wondered aloud why he couldn't play like that for them. It would be nice to think that history could repeat itself but as I said at this stage we've seen nothing to prove otherwise.

As for the game being scheduled in Melbourne rather than Perth, I've been impressed with the manner in which the Freo supporters have accepted the decision.

I spoke to one of their supporters at the North game and he was happy to be playing over here for that game because of the 6 matches they have at the venue during the season.

However the fact remains that they were entitled to a home game this weekend and do travel 10 times during the regular season (compared to our 6 and Collingwoods 4) so I do feel for them.

Our supporters are fully aware that by rights the game should be played in Perth but we also knew before last weekends game that the ACDC concert was scheduled for Subiaco and the fixture was already set in stone. Win and we'd be playing in a NAB Cup semi-final at Etihad Stadium or lose and it would be a NAB Challenge game in Blacktown.

On the actual game, it appears both teams will be resting senior players and that's something that has become quite common in the 3rd week of the pre-season. My gut feeling is that their players are going to want it more than ours and they'll be playing off in their first ever Grand Final Saturday week.

Sensible poster

I know I'm going to sound like a conspiracy theorist here, but I feel the AFL is going after where the bigger crowd will come from. We all know Port would probably be lucky to draw 20k while the Bulldogs will bring that and then some. The Adelaide Fringe/Festival is just an easy excuse for the AFL. Sure there are more people in town than usual, but even I could ring around tomorrow and find accommodation for the Bulldogs.

I said on the Port board we'd be better off throwing the game and taking the 1 hour flight to Mt.Gambier than having to go back to a Subiaco which could see more 37+ temps... that's only if Freo won of course.

It's interesting because the NAB Cup fixture I have in front of me has Round 3 scheduled for either Etihad Stadium or AAMI Stadium. That's in contrast to the other side of the draw where the AC/DC concert was known and Subiaco was never factored in. I can't understand why the game isn't in Adelaide. I mean it's a different kettle of fish if it was the Grand Final that clashed with the Adelaide Festival but it's not. It's a semi-final that would probably draw 15k.

The NAB Cup crowds over here haven't been that big.

St Kilda vs Collingwood - 29k
Geelong vs North Melbourne - 13k
Hawthorn vs Western Bulldogs - 12k
St Kilda vs Sydney - 11k
North Melbourne vs Fremantle - 8k

We've been pretty lucky so far. As we haven't travelled I'm sure we'll be interstate if we don't win on Saturday. The NAB Cup isn't really a priority for us but if it allows to play at home again that's got to be a good thing.

As for the game being scheduled in Melbourne rather than Perth, I've been impressed with the manner in which the Freo supporters have accepted the decision.

I spoke to one of their supporters at the North game and he was happy to be playing over here for that game because of the 6 matches they have at the venue during the season.
It's a simple decision, really. If we beat you guys at Docklands (and that's a big if) it does more for our young players than any other possible result. Yes, beating the Saints at home would probably give a boost, but nowhere near as much, given Docklands have been somewhat of a bogey ground for a number of years.

If we lose, we return home and have a two week break before round 1.

This game would of been played in Melb regardless of the AC/DC concert. Anyone who thinks otherwise is amazingly ignorant.
The NAB over the last few years might as well be called the VIC cup. The AFL continues to favour VIC teams in this comp, especially small success starved and financially strapped clubs.

Wheres the love for Brisbane!!??

Cop a game in a deluge against the Dogs, travel down to Melbourne, go home, then fly down at the last minute to play the Cats and get out onto the ground for all of five minutes!!

What a magnificent pre-season campaign!

Ridiculous this game was played in Melbourne. As was the case with last nights game. I guess it is the only time of year the AFL can rig something to favour Victorians clubs...... O wait, how many times do Collingwood travel a year?:rolleyes: The sooner Vlad and co are out of there, the better.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ridiculous this game was played in Melbourne. As was the case with last nights game. I guess it is the only time of year the AFL can rig something to favour Victorians clubs...... O wait, how many times do Collingwood travel a year?:rolleyes: The sooner Vlad and co are out of there, the better.:thumbsu:

hahahahaha fremamntle dont deserve anything they suk.
Seriously until thgey show they can make a game of it... they can &*^%$

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda v Freo NAB Cup - Unfair

Remove this Banner Ad

Back