Stadium Redevelopments

Remove this Banner Ad

I do often stand back when Arsenal v Spurs shit fights break out but this one has always amused me. How do Arsenal not have a major European trophy?? Haha. Crazy.
No idea. They have an Inter-Cities Fairs cup but to me that sounds like an ICC type of trophy. Even we have two European trophies :)

No idea. They have an Inter-Cities Fairs cup but to me that sounds like an ICC type of trophy. Even we have two European trophies :)

It was what the UEFA Cup was before it became the UEFA Cup.

We won it in 1969-70 when it was still the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, then in 1971–72 season it becomes the UEFA Cup......which was won by Tottenham, then Liverpool the following year.

"While the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup is recognised as the predecessor to the UEFA Cup, it was not organised by UEFA. Consequently, UEFA does not consider clubs' records in the Fairs Cup to be part of their European record. However, FIFA does view the competition as a major honour."

So its just one of those quirks of history.

It was what the UEFA Cup was before it became the UEFA Cup.

We won it in 1969-70 when it was still the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, then in 1971–72 season it becomes the UEFA Cup......which was won by Tottenham, then Liverpool the following year.

"While the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup is recognised as the predecessor to the UEFA Cup, it was not organised by UEFA. Consequently, UEFA does not consider clubs' records in the Fairs Cup to be part of their European record. However, FIFA does view the competition as a major honour."

So its just one of those quirks of history.
Of course you'll claim it as a part of your history and rightfully so but to me seems a bit like VFA premierships in that they're not recognised officially despite being a valid achievement. I was just teasing anyway :D

Yeah as i said its just a quirk of history. I'm not bothered either way.

I still get 'Nam like flashbacks to the 2000 UEFA cup final anyway :( that one was painful.

At least in 06' we lost the Champs league to a much better team so can't hate too much.

I said 'one thing'

Anyway, I'm mostly inquisitive to see how West Ham set out the new stadium in terms of pitch - seating distance. Atmosphere has the ability to be Emiratesised given the olympic structure. Only so much can be done to tackle the issue at Stadio Olimpico in Rome:

2057155_full-lnd.jpg

The Olympic stadium was reconfigured for football IIRC so there won't be a big gap between the fans and the pitch.

The Olympic stadium was reconfigured for football IIRC so there won't be a big gap between the fans and the pitch.
I can't recall such an occurence. Besides, they'll still going to be using the stadium for other events (including track/field), so making a permanent alteration to the seating wouldn't be at all possible.

Impressive. No idea how that retractable astro turf thing will work. I see you're trying to out do our Kop. Lolz.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :)

No one will know how the retractable surface will work yet but if it helps generate non-football revenue then that can only be good.

Not sure many will care unless you're Fryer Tuck ;) but these are the 2 finalists for the proposed new 5,000 seat stadium for Forest Green Rovers submitted by rival architecture firms.

Both would be quite nice for a non league side - sure makes for a different picture to the days when we were scrapping away against the drop as a semi professional outfit. :cool:

13606718_1054187154667393_1280458769678196014_n.jpg

Not sure many will care unless you're Fryer Tuck ;) but these are the 2 finalists for the proposed new 5,000 seat stadium for Forest Green Rovers submitted by rival architecture firms.

Both would be quite nice for a non league side - sure makes for a different picture to the days when we were scrapping away against the drop as a semi professional outfit. :cool:

Wasteful spending a premium architectural fee on a 5,000 seater stadium. Like having $500 in your bank account and dropping $450 of it on a few RL polos. Sheer idiocy.

Heaven forbid a mere non league club build an attractive, comfortable stadium for their supporters.

I demand a cow shed on all four sides and a porta cabin selling mouldy veggie (it is FGR after all) pies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does a non-league side manage to build a new stadium, even if it is a small stadium.

Also those pics make the stadium look like a 30-40k stadium. Not a 5k stadium.
They really don't haha. Take a closer look, the seating barely goes back at all.

Blooming heck, Vince's certainly going for it in style. It seems that he is keen and committed, especially after last season. Hope the players share that vision.

If I recall correctly, FGR's average is about 1,500, which is about mid-table on the attendances listing. 5,000 would still be top tier in League Two and lower tier in League One. I'm assuming that there is room to expand the stadium design should they do a Fleetwood and shoot up very quickly (though it should be noted Fleetwood average around 3,300 themselves.)

5000 sounds about right, and with the money Vince is spending on facilities, I think they will be a welcome sight for visiting teams, they might never want to leave (that said, I think better teams on a technical level will dine out on their pitches, so they better improve technically just as much!)

I'm assuming this stadium is more than just a pretty face, what green features does this proposal have? Is it something like that Taiwan stadium where it is mostly solar powered or something? I expect a green tycoon like Vince has that sorted.

Wasteful spending a premium architectural fee on a 5,000 seater stadium. Like having $500 in your bank account and dropping $450 of it on a few RL polos. Sheer idiocy.

It's definitely a lot of money ($100m being the estimated cost for the entire project) though it's important to note the stadium will be the centerpiece of the planned 'Eco Park' that the owner Dale Vince is trying to build.

"The development, dubbed 'Eco Park', will be a 100-acre sports and green technology centre at Junction 13 on the M5.

Located on either side of the A419, half of Eco Park will be dedicated to creating state-of-the-art sporting facilities, including an all-seater stadium, training fields, 4G pitches, multi-disciplinary sporting facilities, as well as a sports science hub.

The other half of Eco Park will compromise a green technology business park, capable of serving up to 4,000 jobs."

TL, DR - basically seems like the owner wants to turn the club into the Man City of Gloucestershire. :)

How does a non-league side manage to build a new stadium, even if it is a small stadium.

Also those pics make the stadium look like a 30-40k stadium. Not a 5k stadium.

It's definitely starting off as a 5k capacity but with the supposed ability to double in size as the club (hopefully) continues to grow. It's probably also worth mentioning that the club hopes to be a football league club within 5 years (just fell short in the playoff final last season).

As for the finances, our owner's net worth is around the 100m mark last I heard and he has his own green power company which presumably will benefit from this little (expensive) project by helping raise the profile of green energy and conservation. I would assume there will be other investors involved in some capacity as well as potential government funding given it will hopefully create jobs in the area?

Blooming heck, Vince's certainly going for it in style. It seems that he is keen and committed, especially after last season. Hope the players share that vision.

If I recall correctly, FGR's average is about 1,500, which is about mid-table on the attendances listing. 5,000 would still be top tier in League Two and lower tier in League One. I'm assuming that there is room to expand the stadium design should they do a Fleetwood and shoot up very quickly (though it should be noted Fleetwood average around 3,300 themselves.)

5000 sounds about right, and with the money Vince is spending on facilities, I think they will be a welcome sight for visiting teams, they might never want to leave (that said, I think better teams on a technical level will dine out on their pitches, so they better improve technically just as much!)

I'm assuming this stadium is more than just a pretty face, what green features does this proposal have? Is it something like that Taiwan stadium where it is mostly solar powered or something? I expect a green tycoon like Vince has that sorted.

Yup, you're correct mate - seems the designs needed to cater for the possibility of doubling the 5,000 capacity so there is at least a long term consideration given so might be the club's home for years to come (hopefully growing and growing under Vince's ownership).

I don't think any specifics of the stadiums features have been mentioned yet but you could probably assume the solar panels along the roof, a recycled water system and an organic pitch will be the minimum (what the current stadium has).

As for visiting teams wanting to dine out on the pitches, that's fine. They just better like salad and vegan sangas! :D

It's definitely a lot of money ($100m being the estimated cost for the entire project) though it's important to note the stadium will be the centerpiece of the planned 'Eco Park' that the owner Dale Vince is trying to build.

"The development, dubbed 'Eco Park', will be a 100-acre sports and green technology centre at Junction 13 on the M5.

Located on either side of the A419, half of Eco Park will be dedicated to creating state-of-the-art sporting facilities, including an all-seater stadium, training fields, 4G pitches, multi-disciplinary sporting facilities, as well as a sports science hub.

The other half of Eco Park will compromise a green technology business park, capable of serving up to 4,000 jobs."

TL, DR - basically seems like the owner wants to turn the club into the Man City of Gloucestershire. :)

It's definitely starting off as a 5k capacity but with the supposed ability to double in size as the club (hopefully) continues to grow. It's probably also worth mentioning that the club hopes to be a football league club within 5 years (just fell short in the playoff final last season).

As for the finances, our owner's net worth is around the 100m mark last I heard and he has his own green power company which presumably will benefit from this little (expensive) project by helping raise the profile of green energy and conservation. I would assume there will be other investors involved in some capacity as well as potential government funding given it will hopefully create jobs in the area?

Yup, you're correct mate - seems the designs needed to cater for the possibility of doubling the 5,000 capacity so there is at least a long term consideration given so might be the club's home for years to come (hopefully growing and growing under Vince's ownership).

I don't think any specifics of the stadiums features have been mentioned yet but you could probably assume the solar panels along the roof, a recycled water system and an organic pitch will be the minimum (what the current stadium has).

As for visiting teams wanting to dine out on the pitches, that's fine. They just better like salad and vegan sangas! :D

Well, at this rate, I think many PL teams will enjoy coming over, because it's just like a mini veggie version of home. Unless... Mr Vince has the away dressing room all prepared. I mean, that's about the only thing that can be fixed.

I mean, don't you feel at home?

Everton:

325C597800000578-3500167-image-a-30_1458394230691.jpg

Watford:

325C59CF00000578-3500167-image-a-31_1458394264494.jpg

Palace:
325C036800000578-0-image-a-26_1458392160214.jpg

Arsenal seems alright... just hope you don't mind the random cupboard in the middle of the room while giving your talk.

away_dressing_room_3522738b.jpg

Well, at this rate, I think many PL teams will enjoy coming over, because it's just like a mini veggie version of home. Unless... Mr Vince has the away dressing room all prepared. I mean, that's about the only thing that can be fixed.

I mean, don't you feel at home?

Everton:

325C597800000578-3500167-image-a-30_1458394230691.jpg

Watford:

325C59CF00000578-3500167-image-a-31_1458394264494.jpg

Palace:
325C036800000578-0-image-a-26_1458392160214.jpg

Arsenal seems alright... just hope you don't mind the random cupboard in the middle of the room while giving your talk.

away_dressing_room_3522738b.jpg

Funnily enough, that mention of Palace reminded me of a rather messy incident from a few years ago involving one of our Championship rivals for the season ahead in Brighton....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/18/gus-poyet-fuming-excrement-crystal-palace

Needless to say I hope B&HA have renovated their away facilities...or else Rafa and the lads may have a 'crappy' away day. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Stadium Redevelopments

Remove this Banner Ad

Back