Stanley as number 1 ruckman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, you wait until you read what I'd be suggesting in a trade. I don't think Freo will be able to keep him in the offseason because he is just about ready to break out, but he is contracted so it makes things more interesting.

From Meek's perspective I don't think he will see a chance at the first ruck role with Luke Jackson coming across and will take an offer elsewhere.

He needs to work on his post tap blocking but he has added marking around the ground to his weapons this season. I think Freo have adequate cover in Meek for Sean Darcy if he isn't available, let's just say that.
Wait... what?

Yeah, you wait until you read what I'd be suggesting in a trade. I don't think Freo will be able to keep him in the offseason because he is just about ready to break out, but he is contracted so it makes things more interesting.

From Meek's perspective I don't think he will see a chance at the first ruck role with Luke Jackson coming across and will take an offer elsewhere.

He needs to work on his post tap blocking but he has added marking around the ground to his weapons this season. I think Freo have adequate cover in Meek for Sean Darcy if he isn't available, let's just say that.

You had me until you said luke jackson is coming across. That made me laugh.

You had me until you said luke jackson is coming across. That made me laugh.
Threw that one in for a bit of spice.

It's in Geelong's interest if Jackson does want to go to Freo because Meek will be very cheap, not a lot of room for him on the list.

Conversely if no players are coming to Freo and no cap space or draft capital is needed then extracting Meek under contract will be a nightmare.

I think he will be a real asset for any club he plays for next year and beyond, he has been improving year on year and was keeping Darcy honest for a spot, aside from his injury he was arguably going to keep him out of the side early last year.

He is getting fitter and stronger and adding forward craft to his game, but he is a ruck.

Probably not surprising to many that Stanley would be one of top roasted players at the club - good Stanley is an asset, but he then throws in frustrating Stanley games as we saw in the first quarter on Monday

So far this season Stanley is averaging a career high disposal county, and sitting around the mark we've seen from him in recent seasons in terms of average hitouts which keeps him a couple of rungs below the top rucks in the league

69CDD73A-CFB1-4329-985E-47A6DB5F94FB.jpeg

But as we've long discussed with rucks & hitout stats, the raw numbers don't necessary tell the full story - the below stat may be a bit of a surprise to some, that Stanley is top 10 for hitout to advantage percentage rate

1650423440032.png

Full breakdown here

D49F8629-729B-48D7-A179-83128BF8A572.png

As for the question of number one ruck: who else? Conway would be snapped in half, Neale plays as a tall forward and I don’t know about his ruck ability.

There is no one good move as no 1 ruck.

Conway is the guy but he is a) injured and b) not ready yet.

Threw that one in for a bit of spice.

It's in Geelong's interest if Jackson does want to go to Freo because Meek will be very cheap, not a lot of room for him on the list.

Conversely if no players are coming to Freo and no cap space or draft capital is needed then extracting Meek under contract will be a nightmare.

I think he will be a real asset for any club he plays for next year and beyond, he has been improving year on year and was keeping Darcy honest for a spot, aside from his injury he was arguably going to keep him out of the side early last year.

He is getting fitter and stronger and adding forward craft to his game, but he is a ruck.

I would love to get meek but he wont be cheap as he is contracted and freo will want to keep him as backup i dont see you letting him come here. It probably only happens if neale goes the other way to freo and id like to keep neale. But if meek can somehow be had for a R3 id do it.

I don't see the problem. He killed it in the hitouts on Monday.
If you are a mid and you know your ruck has a massive advantage get to space so he can hit it to you.
Not stand next to your opponent on the inside of the contest like our mids did on Monday.
Wasn't his fault.

If you are a mid and you know your ruck has a massive advantage get to space so he can hit it to you.
Not stand next to your opponent on the inside of the contest like our mids did on Monday.
Wasn't his fault.

It was his ‘pea heart’ that caused those hit outs not to go where they needed to go. Didn’t you know that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played the same this week as he did last week.
Last week: His pea heart cost us the game
This week: Great game.
I've never seen us lose a game purely because of Stanley.
But I've seen us lose because we failed to pick him.
Delusional.

How anyone can watch this guy just aimlessly hit the ball forward and think he's any good is beyond me.

Stanley and Ceglar are both signed for next season. And we have Neale, Tsap and Conway. We are not going to recruit another ruck next season.
I’ve never been a big Stanley fan but I think his season has been pretty good this year. He’s really minimised his mistakes, keeps competing throughout the game and has really improved his follow up work.
Hopefully some of the young rucks can develop over the next couple of years with some support from Stanley and Ceglar. It’s certainly not perfect but our ruck system is vastly improved that it was.
We have some direction with older and developing rucks and a ruck coach in JJ. Shows that the club is taking the position more seriously let’s hope one of the young rucks can be a consistently good afl player.

That's what all rucks do except NicNat when he's not injured and on song.
Sure. The other rucks don't play with vertigo though. Stanley timing is so far off I'm surprised he doesn't fall over putting on pants.

Sure. The other rucks don't play with vertigo though. Stanley timing is so far off I'm surprised he doesn't fall over putting on pants.
Maybe I have a love affair with him but I don't often see him getting destroyed in hitouts very often.
Gawn, Grundy are obviously better around the ground and up forward.
But it's unrealistic to expect we have an AA in every single position.
The team that wins the grand final most years usually has noone special in the ruck.

Maybe I have a love affair with him but I don't often see him getting destroyed in hitouts very often.
Gawn, Grundy are obviously better around the ground and up forward.
But it's unrealistic to expect we have an AA in every single position.
The team that wins the grand final most years usually has noone special in the ruck.
So you agree he's noone special and we've lost so much time by playing him again and again.

Of course he's noone special. But he's good enough.
Good enough for a ruck is all that's needed.
Certainly better than noone, a tactic we've tried that has cost us.
He ain't good enough. He's a spud and the best tactic we have is to recruit better and put time into someone who doesn't have vertigo.

He ain't good enough. He's a spud and the best tactic we have is to recruit better and put time into someone who doesn't have vertigo.
If you think he's not good enough then yeah that's what we have to do.
For me, apart from Max Gawn last year I'm not seeing any world beaters in the ruck winning flags.
They're about the same as Stanley.

Wasn't his fault.
Last week he frequently hit it to opposition mids. Nothing to do with being a pea heart. When you have a ruck against non rucks, you should have a massive advantage. Freo last night V Carlton took advantage of that advantage, last week we didn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stanley as number 1 ruckman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back