Star Trek General Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Realised that while we have various threads for different Star Trek shows, there isn't a general thread for proposed shows, movies, in development etc. For example, I thought after the end of Discovery and Picard, there was just Strange New Worlds left, along with the proposed Section 31 movie featuring Michelle Yeoh, but apparently Starfleet Academy is quite advanced with Holly Hunter signed on and Paul Giamatti to play the first season's big bad.

There's also talk of Simon Kinberg directing a prequel intended as an origin story for the main timeline, as well as the fourth and final Kelvin timeline movie.

Post your Star Trek news and rumours here.

Nice work Jack, was thinking about this the other day that there should be a ST equivalent.

Still plugging away at my first watch of each series. Have watched TOS, Voyager, DS9, Picard and halfway through Enterprise.

Starfleet Academy and Section 31 both sound good with SFA looking to have a solid cast.

Giamatti is such a coup, twice nominated for an Academy Award, apparently he was a fan of Star Trek so keen to sign on. Holly Hunter and Michelle Yeoh both Oscar winners. Star Trek has always looked to have solid casting but never before have they been able to attract already known high-quality talent.

No word yet on whether Starfleet Academy is set in the Discovery era (which could then include Tilly in her new role) or earlier.

Nice work Jack, was thinking about this the other day that there should be a ST equivalent.

Still plugging away at my first watch of each series. Have watched TOS, Voyager, DS9, Picard and halfway through Enterprise.

Starfleet Academy and Section 31 both sound good with SFA looking to have a solid cast.
No TNG?

Love Trek.

Probably watched DS9 the most, followed by Voyager(will never forgive them though for killing a season long Year from Hell story arch)
For some reason TNG was always not as enjoyable, personal preference I guess.
TOS is a struggle if we are honest.
Enterprise grew into a good show just before they canned it.
Discovery also grew into a good show once they realised it was better suited into a far flung future.
Picard was awesome for its last season, the other two meh.
Strange New Worlds is awesome classic episodic trek with an over arching story.
Prodigy is fun.
Lower Decks is a laugh.

It did occur to me that given the high volume of concurrent shows ST had even just a year or so ago, we're very quickly down to really only two - SNW and Lower Decks. I really thought they'd have announced a spin-off to Picard by now as that seemed quite a popular notion.

It did occur to me that given the high volume of concurrent shows ST had even just a year or so ago, we're very quickly down to really only two - SNW and Lower Decks. I really thought they'd have announced a spin-off to Picard by now as that seemed quite a popular notion.
Three - SNW, Lower Decks, and Prodigy.

Like Marvel and Star Wars, it does seem like a conscious step back. Probably best to only have one or two live action shows at any one time. With SNW and Starfleet Academy, maybe they are holding off on a Picard spin-off until SNW wraps up.

I also think Star Trek and Star Wars should embrace the streaming movie or mini series...less big budget than a blockbuster movie, but more contained, tight storytelling. Section 31 will be Star Trek's first shot at this.

The last public comment I can find regarding show timelines and the potential for a Legacy spin-off was back in March. The CBS president makes it clear Alex Kurtzman has been tasked with developing the how and when of releasing new shows. Of course, the counter to this is, if you wait too long, people might start to forget about the likes of Raffi and Picard's son (not Seven, of course, her profile will always remain). Sometimes it pays to strike while the iron is hot.

"Star Trek remains one of the most important franchises for Paramount Global, and Paramount+ specifically," Cheeks told Vulture. "There's so much great opportunity with the franchise, and it's really about the cadence and the timeline of it. We don't want to offer up all these amazing premium drama series at once. We want to time it out appropriately. Luckily, we have this incredible partner in Alex Kurtzman, and we all work together to sort of manage long-range planning across many years, to figure out what's the right cadence for dropping new Star Trek series. So there's a lot we're focused on, but it should not suggest to you [a scaling back]. There is a tremendous amount of focus and prioritizing of the Star Trek franchise."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starfleet Academy confirmed for the Discovery era with Robert Picardo and Tig Notaro joining Paul Giamatti and Holly Hunter in the main cast, with Tilly and Admiral Vance signed on as guest stars.
Tilly? Really? The worst character in the entire Discovery universe?

Starfleet Academy confirmed for the Discovery era with Robert Picardo and Tig Notaro joining Paul Giamatti and Holly Hunter in the main cast, with Tilly and Admiral Vance signed on as guest stars.
Sounds like Discovery is a good chance to lose its position as worst ever Star Trek to Acadmey. Actors are good but don't see how this concept will work in the awful Discovery future universe

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have never been much of a Trekky but I did enjoy some of older the movies back in the day. I also kinda liked The Orville even though that isn't Trek. How's the new Star Trek trilogy they released recently?

I think I'll give Strange New Worlds a chance. I've watched episode 1 and enjoyed it, just never went back to it.

I have never been much of a Trekky but I did enjoy some of older the movies back in the day. I also kinda liked The Orville even though that isn't Trek. How's the new Star Trek trilogy they released recently?

I think I'll give Strange New Worlds a chance. I've watched episode 1 and enjoyed it, just never went back to it.
SNW is great - the best Trek since TNG.

I also really enjoyed watching Lower Decks. It's a pity the next season will be the last.

Sounds like Discovery is a good chance to lose its position as worst ever Star Trek to Acadmey. Actors are good but don't see how this concept will work in the awful Discovery future universe

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
You don't see how a show about Starfleet Academy could work in an era where Starfleet is rebuilding itself? That's a severe lack of imagination.

Pretty surprised with that decision, but I guess they're counting on Picardo carrying it somewhat.

Trek's best time travel stories ranked. Some odd choices in there, but the top 3 is probably right, though I would have number 1 at 3 and find it hard to split the other two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Star Trek General Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back