Star Wars Star Wars - General Discussion / Legends / Comics

Remove this Banner Ad

Need Andor back to right the ship.
The next Star Wars movie really should be anything Gilroy wants to do. But since Disney insists on it revolving around the Jedi and the Force it was never gonna happen.

Too bad cause him doing a post ROS film with Jedi as secondary characters leading into a Rey film in 2027 directed by someone other than the Ms. Marvel showrunner would’ve a good start. She might surprise me, though.

The Mando films could’ve just gone straight to D+ but they’ll probably make good bank on them so fair enough.

TESB ruined Star Wars! Woke agenda including a black character. Lazy writing with Luke just jumping off a ledge to escape. And Vader being his father is a HUGE plot hole!! FB_IMG_1719304501811.jpg

Star Wars has always been entertainment to me, albeit one that has taken up more space in my DVD and book shelves than others. I grew up in a time (twice) when you didn't think you would see any more on the big screen. That I was disappointed in the PT didn't crush me, it just didn't hold the same continuing appeal as the OT. I'm happy to consume it all in the knowledge that some will disappoint (TROS, BOBF, Mandalorian later seasons) but there will always be something top shelf along the way (R1, TLJ, Andor). If you view screen content now as we used to view the EU, you will roll with the highs and the lows.

This is pretty much me, though I’ve enjoyed everything released by Disney on some level. I’ve loved Star Wars from the moment I saw Luke Skywalker and the droids on The Muppet Show as a kid. I went through a major crisis in my fandom with the prequels but once I learned to stop worrying and realise Star Wars is not and never has been perfect, I was able to relax and find ways to engage with almost everything. That’s not to say I love everything, but I just prefer to focus on the things I do enjoy rather than fret about the stuff I don’t. As I said, I don’t really read the novels or comics, but love all the behind the scenes material. I’m hoping one day we will get an in-depth history of these last 10 years and the Disney acquisition. There would be some interesting stories I’m sure.

TESB ruined Star Wars! Woke agenda including a black character. Lazy writing with Luke just jumping off a ledge to escape. And Vader being his father is a HUGE plot hole!! View attachment 2030057

I read about this a few months ago. I always knew that Empire had its detractors when it was first released but I’d never really seen anything on this level.

I actually have a friend who’s a major fan of the first movie but HATES everything else. He hates that Vader is Luke’s father. Hates Obi-Wan was replaced by a talking frog who sounds like Grover (though he admits the puppet is well made in ESB at least). He despises Return of the Jedi and has only watched a few of the other movies.

He still has his collection of action figures from the first film though and watches Harmy’s despecialized edition once a year on 25 May.

I think the problem is the fans started feeling like they owned SW. There was a lot of fans who made fan fiction, fan shorts, cosplay, building the Falcon/etc, and probably contributed to EU in some way. Also starting up things like Wookiepedia.

Just like that image SM posted above, those fans felt like they owned SW and objected to the direction TESB took the story, so went ballistic. Same happened with the PT and ST and everything else really.

And obviously then when you have tens/hundreds of millions of fans who all feel like they own SW, then you're going to get divisions...multi-divisions.

Even I for instance....i feel like I want SW to be darker, focus at least equally on the Sith/Empire, make them formidable, etc, and get frustrated when I don't see that in an array of SW media.

The next Star Wars movie really should be anything Gilroy wants to do. But since Disney insists on it revolving around the Jedi and the Force it was never gonna happen.

Too bad cause him doing a post ROS film with Jedi as secondary characters leading into a Rey film in 2027 directed by someone other than the Ms. Marvel showrunner would’ve a good start. She might surprise me, though.

The Mando films could’ve just gone straight to D+ but they’ll probably make good bank on them so fair enough.
I sometimes wonder how it would have looked if Disney had taken a different approach to its slate of films. Some of it is hindsight, some of it was obvious at the time.

The second standalone film never should have been Solo, he was just too iconic a character and I don’t think people were interested in a new version after having recently seeing Harrison Ford back in the role. They should have followed up TLJ with a film showing the fall of Coruscsnt, an X-Wing movie with no Jedi. It could have also offered some background into how the Empire fled and became the foundation of the First Order. I reckon it would have been popular with fans and maybe stunted some of the backlash rather than letting it grow.

That might have given them the confidence to stick with Trevorrow, or at least not cave and produce such a bland attempt to appease everybody that pleased nobody TROS.

Then an Old Republic or Dawn of the Jedi style film that allows all the Jedi boss fights they dream of doing.

Then it would have been time to take a break, focus on the small screen. The Mandalorian should have been the only TV show for a while (let’s be honest, they don’t entirely feel special at the moment). Kenobi and Boba Fett should have been mini series in between seasons.

Andor I wouldn’t change but I wouldn’t have made Ashoka or Skeleton Crew. I reckon Dr Aphra is ripe for a TV show with plenty of nostalgia mixed in.

Anyway, I might only think about it occasionally but I clearly think a little too much about it :tearsofjoy:

I sometimes wonder how it would have looked if Disney had taken a different approach to its slate of films. Some of it is hindsight, some of it was obvious at the time.

The second standalone film never should have been Solo, he was just too iconic a character and I don’t think people were interested in a new version after having recently seeing Harrison Ford back in the role. They should have followed up TLJ with a film showing the fall of Coruscsnt, an X-Wing movie with no Jedi. It could have also offered some background into how the Empire fled and became the foundation of the First Order. I reckon it would have been popular with fans and maybe stunted some of the backlash rather than letting it grow.

That might have given them the confidence to stick with Trevorrow, or at least not cave and produce such a bland attempt to appease everybody that pleased nobody TROS.

Then an Old Republic or Dawn of the Jedi style film that allows all the Jedi boss fights they dream of doing.

Then it would have been time to take a break, focus on the small screen. The Mandalorian should have been the only TV show for a while (let’s be honest, they don’t entirely feel special at the moment). Kenobi and Boba Fett should have been mini series in between seasons.

Andor I wouldn’t change but I wouldn’t have made Ashoka or Skeleton Crew. I reckon Dr Aphra is ripe for a TV show with plenty of nostalgia mixed in.

Anyway, I might only think about it occasionally but I clearly think a little too much about it :tearsofjoy:

As much as I love Solo (it’s actually my favourite Star Wars movie since 1980) you’re probably right. I think Lucasfilm got carried away with the fact that Solo was the most popular character next to Vader.

Though, I’d also assume a major reason Solo was prioritised was because it was Lucas himself who began developing movie before he sold to Disney. He was also the person who originally hired Kasdan to write it and map out the basic ideas.

IMO though there were several reasons Solo failed to ignite the box office (though it still made almost half a billion $ so it actually didn’t do too bad - despite the perception).
1) The marketing was terrible
2) There were significant and highly publicised issues with its production - including complete change of director and major reshoots and restructuring of the film itself
3) released hot on the heals of TLJ fallout.
4) released within weeks of other major tentpole releases but with a lot less fanfare and marketing.

I still contend that had Solo been released at Christmas that year, like the other films had been, it would have had much more impact at the box office. I’m still baffled by Iger’s irrational push to have it released in May when Star Wars had pretty much owned December and January the previous 3 years.

Last edited:

For me it would’ve been adapting Legacy of the Force into a trilogy to start with but if off the table…

Arndt is given more time, movies are released over 2016, 19, and 22 instead. All written by him, a coherent narrative.

Rogue One still happens, but 2017.

VIII rewrite to adjust Carrie Fisher RIP.

Kenobi for 2018. Think it could’ve worked okay as a film. But a better arc for Reva and Ron Howard’s helping hand.

Mando to kick off D+.

Boba Fett like you said but borrow from novels. Same with Solo/Lando, combine into series. No Ahsoka or Skeleton Crew like you said either, it’s overkill.

2025 onwards go into post TROS. Tony Gilroy film to kick off.

Let guys like Godzilla Minus One director make a film if they want and stay outta their way.

But man it’s easy to say all this shit in hindsight.

I have my issues with Disney SW but I’ve made my peace. As time has passed it is really TROS that bothers me the most. It is worse than the prequels IMO.

Edit: Like your suggestion a lot about Dr. Aphra.

And instead of the Acolyte I think a Plagueis series would’ve been sweet.

For me it would’ve been adapting Legacy of the Force into a trilogy to start with but if off the table…

Arndt is given more time, movies are released over 2016, 19, and 22 instead. All written by him, a coherent narrative.

Rogue One still happens, but 2017.

VIII rewrite to adjust Carrie Fisher RIP.

Kenobi for 2018. Think it could’ve worked okay as a film. But a better arc for Reva and Ron Howard’s helping hand.

Mando to kick off D+.

Boba Fett like you said but borrow from novels. Same with Solo/Lando, combine into series. No Ahsoka or Skeleton Crew like you said either, it’s overkill.

2025 onwards go into post TROS. Tony Gilroy film to kick off.

Let guys like Godzilla Minus One director make a film if they want and stay outta their way.

But man it’s easy to say all this shit in hindsight.

I have my issues with Disney SW but I’ve made my peace. As time has passed it is really TROS that bothers me the most. It is worse than the prequels IMO.

Edit: Like your suggestion a lot about Dr. Aphra.

And instead of the Acolyte I think a Plagueis series would’ve been sweet.
After Rogue 1, everything strictly legacy, like Kenobi, Fett or Solo, should have been a mini series. The big screen should have focused more on the new era or completely original ideas far removed existing timelines. TV shows could have mixed original (Acolyte) with some that took part in an around existing films (Andor).

For all the love Filoni gets, his Mandoverse just doesn't work for me. Mando and Grogu were a great addition, but the moment he started leaning into his own canon, it went off the rails.

After Rogue 1, everything strictly legacy, like Kenobi, Fett or Solo, should have been a mini series. The big screen should have focused more on the new era or completely original ideas far removed existing timelines. TV shows could have mixed original (Acolyte) with some that took part in an around existing films (Andor).

For all the love Filoni gets, his Mandoverse just doesn't work for me. Mando and Grogu were a great addition, but the moment he started leaning into his own canon, it went off the rails.
Yeah fair enough.

I do think the Mando stuff needs to wrap up. No S4, just do the two films, Ahsoka S2 and call it a day. Keep Skeleton Crew to a limited series.

An Andor like show set between either Ep 6 and 7 or after TROS would be good.

I'm skeptical of what the quality of these new films are going to be.

I do think they should give Rian another crack, surely the number of people who'll look at his name attached to another SW project and boycott is way overblown by terminally online weirdos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will also add in terms of Solo, much of it was largely harmless whilst also being largely unnecessary. In my opinion anyway.

I felt the mystique and aura of legendary moments referenced prior (such as Han winning the Falcon from Lando in that game of sabaac, the Kessel Run, liberating Chewie from slavery etc) were better left the imagination than showing. That’s me anyway. Whilst I don’t believe the movie was shit or anything, it was mostly forgettable and I’ve never revisited (or felt like watching again) since the one and only time in the cinema.

I think the Rey movie has potential
I agree, it's going to shape the whole new era in terms of films and books, so there's a lot riding on it. I hope they nail it.

Will also add in terms of Solo, much of it was largely harmless whilst also being largely unnecessary. In my opinion anyway.

I felt the mystique and aura of legendary moments referenced prior (such as Han winning the Falcon from Lando in that game of sabaac, the Kessel Run, liberating Chewie from slavery etc) were better left the imagination than showing. That’s me anyway. Whilst I don’t believe the movie was shit or anything, it was mostly forgettable and I’ve never revisited (or felt like watching again) since the one and only time in the cinema.
Also agree, perfectly fine movie but doesn't really add anything that you weren't aware of, other than the character of Q'ira, I guess, which they haven't followed up on outside of comics mostly, I believe.

Same with Boba Fett, but for different reasons. This time they are adding to the character, but it's not anything I'm that interested in knowing; again, the mystique was better. The only thing that would have worked for me was a prime Boba Fett, a reimagining of The Bounty Hunter Wars.

I think the Rey movie has potential
The Rey movie is not actually happening is it? It's been on and off and on again for ages.

I liked Daisy Ridley in Episode 7 but I can't watch any more Rey-based content post Episodes 8 and 9 and suspect it would be the same for 60-80% of Star Wars fans. It would be a disastrous decision if they proceed with it.

Imagine taking Luke's Legends post-RotJ and plonking it on Rey. It would be the final nail in the TLJ shaped coffin that is modern Star Wars.

The Rey movie is not actually happening is it? It's been on and off and on again for ages.

I liked Daisy Ridley in Episode 7 but I can't watch any more Rey-based content post Episodes 8 and 9 and suspect it would be the same for 60-80% of Star Wars fans. It would be a disastrous decision if they proceed with it.

Imagine taking Luke's Legends post-RotJ and plonking it on Rey. It would be the final nail in the TLJ shaped coffin that is modern Star Wars.

When was it off again? It was announced and it's proceeding.

Skeleton Crew has a release date... December 3. Across the school holidays for the young market, presumably.

Really low key marketing for this is odd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Star Wars Star Wars - General Discussion / Legends / Comics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back