Star Wars Star Wars - General Discussion / Legends / Comics

Remove this Banner Ad

James Earl Jones's appearance in Big Bang Theory always stuck out to me, randomly enough.

The Convention Conundrum (2014)

James Earl Jones: [looks up from his menu to see Sheldon standing there] Let me guess: you like Star Wars.

Sheldon Cooper: [nods]

James Earl Jones: You know I've been in other movies.

Sheldon Cooper: [nods again]

James Earl Jones: But you don't care about those, do you?

Sheldon Cooper: [shakes his head]

James Earl Jones: [motions Sheldon closer] I have one thing to say to people like you: I like Star Wars too! Care to join me?

Sheldon Cooper: Thank you! My friend Leonard said if I bothered you while you were eating, you'd think I was a creepy stalker.

James Earl Jones: Well, your friend Leonard sounds like a real weenie!

Sheldon Cooper: He is, Mr. Earl Jones, he is!

................................................................................

The 'I like Star Wars too!' part always hit, in a franchise where it feels 99% of the actors and actresses shit on it. Now I don't know if this is truthful or just what the script asked for him, and I don't care. It was still awesome.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Huh? Which actors shit on it?

Neeson brags about the fact he got to play a Jedi, Hamill is a megafan, Christensen and McGregor are essentially still appearing in it, etc.

You know that movie won people's choice award that year? As in, the people chose it?

People dig up these old reviews to prove a point but these things were actually in the minority at the time. The context of fan dissatisfaction is well different to modern situations.

Way to miss the entire point.

Huh? Which actors shit on it?

Neeson brags about the fact he got to play a Jedi, Hamill is a megafan, Christensen and McGregor are essentially still appearing in it, etc.
Ford, Fisher, Portman.

The sequel actors though less so as Disney is a bigger conglomerate than Lucasfilm ever was so the leash is shorter.

Hamill loves the films but has very little interest in the EU so hardly a megafan.

Anthony Daniels loves it though. He's a good one too.

In a general sense too, most of the guest stars of that show usually play up on things and have a dislike or weariness about their popular roles and the attention they get from it like the main characters obsess over - including Hamil - even if it is all pretend of course, that the James Earl Jones one did not.

But as you just said, way to miss the point.

Having a guest star play themselves and actually have pride about their role in a scifi franchise, was a subversion for the shows tropes.

Harrison Ford doesn’t hate Star Wars, he just mostly hates its fans. He’s more indifferent to Star Wars. It was a job. He prefers other roles he’s had. I can respect that.

He’s always been crotchety. If he truly hated Star Wars, he wouldn’t have come back for TROS. He didn’t have to, no one was expecting it.

Last edited:
Ford, Fisher, Portman.

The sequel actors though less so as Disney is a bigger conglomerate than Lucasfilm ever was so the leash is shorter.

Hamill loves the films but has very little interest in the EU so hardly a megafan.

Anthony Daniels loves it though. He's a good one too.

In a general sense too, most of the guest stars of that show usually play up on things and have a dislike or weariness about their popular roles and the attention they get from it like the main characters obsess over - including Hamil - even if it is all pretend of course, that the James Earl Jones one did not.

But as you just said, way to miss the point.

Having a guest star play themselves and actually have pride about their role in a scifi franchise, was a subversion for the shows tropes.

I didn't miss the point. You said 99% of the actors shit on Star wars which is utter rubbish.

Pretty sure JEJ didn't care about the EU either lol..

Harrison Ford doesn’t hate Star Wars, he just mostly hates its fans. He’s more indifferent to Star Wars. It was a job. He prefers other roles he’s had. I can respect that.

He’s always been crotchety. If he truly hated Star Wars, he wouldn’t have back for TROS. He didn’t have to, no one was expecting it.
I've seen a Ford interview from the 80s where he is super passionate about Blade Runner and Indiana Jones, soon as the subject turns to Star Wars there's a very visible shift in his body language to disdain. He says the bare minimum is much more muted language.

I respect that he's a highly professional actor that really brought the character to life and fought for what he believed was best for the character rather that just speaking the lines, but Star Wars became a reluctant job for him, not a passion project. He wasn't even committed to returning for Jedi at the time.

He came back because of money. Lots and lots of money. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
I didn't miss the point. You said 99% of the actors shit on Star wars which is utter rubbish.

Pretty sure JEJ didn't care about the EU either lol..
Good grief I made an exaggeration, if I had of known it would have been taken as literal fact I would have been more careful with my numbers.

Good grief I made an exaggeration, if I had of known it would have been taken as literal fact I would have been more careful with my numbers.

It's not even 50% who shit on it my dude. Maybe 5-10% tops. And even that's an exagerration. What you did was a bit more than that, it was just wrong. And a really weird angle to take to try to backhandedly praise JEJ. "He didn't hate something he was in, man he's awesome"

It's not even 50% who shit on it my dude. Maybe 5-10% tops. And even that's an exagerration. What you did was a bit more than that, it was just wrong. And a really weird angle to take to try to backhandedly praise JEJ. "He didn't hate something he was in, man he's awesome"
I think of the main cast members it is a lot higher than 5%

OT: Hamil, Fisher, Ford, Guinness, Jones

PT: Christensen, McGregor, Portman, McDiarmid?

ST: Ridley, Boyega, Isaac, Driver

I'd say are main cast members.

The ST are closer to shit territory.

The OT is closer to shit territory.

The PT is about even.

I think of the main cast members it is a lot higher than 5%

OT: Hamil, Fisher, Ford, Guinness, Jones

PT: Christensen, McGregor, Portman, McDiarmid?

ST: Ridley, Boyega, Isaac, Driver

I'd say are main cast members.

The ST are closer to shit territory.

The OT is closer to shit territory.

The PT is about even.

None of the actors you've listed have shat on star wars, thanks for confirming.

Weirdest part of this is you cited JEJ playing a caricature of himself to justify the stance. Might be time to move on.

None of the actors you've listed have shat on star wars, thanks for confirming.

Weirdest part of this is you cited JEJ playing a caricature of himself to justify the stance. Might be time to move on.

Pretty wild to suggest Alex Guinness never disparaged Star Wars...

Rather than see the reasoning that someone was grateful for JEJ and shared something positive from him that made them happy, reflecting on a guy that's played iconic roles in media I love* upon the news of his passing, you got stuck in to the nitty gritty like there's some chip on your shoulder rather than let it go through to the keeper at midnight on a weekday.

If anyone has to move on, I don't think it's me.

*I don't love TBBT, that's more for Star Wars, Conan, Lion King...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen a Ford interview from the 80s where he is super passionate about Blade Runner and Indiana Jones, soon as the subject turns to Star Wars there's a very visible shift in his body language to disdain. He says the bare minimum is much more muted language.

I respect that he's a highly professional actor that really brought the character to life and fought for what he believed was best for the character rather that just speaking the lines, but Star Wars became a reluctant job for him, not a passion project. He wasn't even committed to returning for Jedi at the time.

He came back because of money. Lots and lots of money. Nothing more, nothing less.

He’s always been crotchety. If he truly hated Star Wars, he wouldn’t have come back for TROS. He didn’t have to, no one was expecting it.

He also came back cause he wanted the character to die. Solo just doesn't seem to impress him much.

He wanted it since ROTJ to "give the movie some bottom"

Pretty wild to suggest Alex Guinness never disparaged Star Wars...

Rather than see the reasoning that someone was grateful for JEJ and shared something positive from him that made them happy, reflecting on a guy that's played iconic roles in media I love* upon the news of his passing, you got stuck in to the nitty gritty like there's some chip on your shoulder rather than let it go through to the keeper at midnight on a weekday.

If anyone has to move on, I don't think it's me.

*I don't love TBBT, that's more for Star Wars, Conan, Lion King...

Guiness was skeptical of SW going in but loved the impact it had on kids. Why do you think he came back for TESB and ROTJ? Quit while you're behind.

you're only just realising this now?

How dare someone discuss Star Wars in a Star Wars thread, the utter nerve!

If we're talking chips on shoulders, your obsession with me is quite laughable.

Guiness was skeptical of SW going in but loved the impact it had on kids. Why do you think he came back for TESB and ROTJ? Quit while you're behind.
Lol he literally told a kid to never watch it again

Even if that's a joke...

He came back for money. I think he had a deal to get a percentage of gross. He had to return to get paid.

Is it so shocking to you actors love money? I suppose you think Robert Downey Jr would come back to the MCU for the fun of it and the 100,000,000 dollars was a pleasant bonus that he could take or leave.

Last edited:
There's footage of Guinness being quite positive about Star Wars, Hamill has some good anecdotes, I believe. He didn't wholly get the movie, but he was fine with it. What he hated was that his whole career became defined by this rather than things like Bridge on the River Kwai. Like Ford, he was an actor, it was a job, he was happy to do it, but it's the fans and everything that came after that pissed him off. And fair enough. Being in a great movie doesn't mean you have to become a fanboi for an entire expanded universe.

There's footage of Guinness being quite positive about Star Wars, Hamill has some good anecdotes, I believe. He didn't wholly get the movie, but he was fine with it. What he hated was that his whole career became defined by this rather than things like Bridge on the River Kwai. Like Ford, he was an actor, it was a job, he was happy to do it, but it's the fans and everything that came after that pissed him off. And fair enough. Being in a great movie doesn't mean you have to become a fanboi for an entire expanded universe.
Yeah Guinness struggled with the fame and attention. The above anecdote was because he felt that he was the subject of fixation and doesn't suggest he was shitting on Star Wars. This has been a rather odd hill to die on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Star Wars Star Wars - General Discussion / Legends / Comics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back