STARTING 22 FOR 2023 - TOUGH DECISIONS TO BE MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

balta still back, Tarrant deeper, Gibcus with more development and be tried in a few different roles especially with five person bench

I think think this is a chance to get experimental with Gibcus.

The thing is Brown and banks could get a run to so chance to try a few different things especially with the guts more sured up with hopper and Taranto

Can't drop broad. That's ridiculous

cray GIF

Unless someone really bashes the door down over the preseason, here is where I see round 1 starting.
B: Short Tarrant Grimes
HB: D. Rioli Balta Vlastuin
C: McIntosh Hopper Pickett
HF: Martin Reiwoldt Graham
F: Cumberland Lynch Bolton
R: Nankervis Taranto Prestia

Int: Cotchin, Baker, Broad, Gibcus SUB: MJR

EMER Georgie/Sonsie/Stack/Ross/Soldo/Miller (any of these players could easily be in the team)

This team is stacked and is cherry ripe for another flag. There are up to 10 very unlucky players that will miss round 1.

Can we move on from Georgie. He should be told that he is starting VFL and wont be looked at until he is consistently one of the better players over a number of weeks.

That is not a contradiction to moving on from George as I dont think that he is good enough to be one of the VFL bests.

Prestia is too short for centre. I imagine Taranto takes that spot and provides an option for defence. Prestia takes the roving role one would think
Prestia won a B&F in the centre in a premiership year and is arguably the best 2 way runner midfielder in the competition.
He is not too short

Huge competition for spots. Just about the only guy who is a walk-up start is Lynch.
Yep the contest between Bolton and Castagna for half forward role is gonna be tense

Here is my team

JR Lynch MRJ

Cumberland Dusty Gibcus

McIntosh Taranto Bolton

Rioli Balta Vlastuin

Grimes Tarrant Brown

Followers Nankervis Hopper Prestia.

Bench: Pickett, Sonsie, Graham, Broad, Baker

HugoSmith, Broad and others could easily sneek in as I am speculating on Brown etc.. a bit. Banks, and Stack could explode and I have not got a spot for Short yet

Dusty and Taranto can switch between Centre and CHF.

I have forgot Cotch to, he goes ahead of Baker. I have forgot Miller, not sure where to put him in yet

Last edited:
Richmond Round 1, 2023

B:
Dylan Grimes, Robbie Tarrant, Nathan Broad
HB: Nick Vlastuin, Noah Balta, Liam Baker
C: Kamdyn McIntosh, Trent Cotchin, Marlion Pickett
HF: Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt, Shai Bolton
F: Noah Cumberland, Tom Lynch, Maurice Rioli Jr.
R: Toby Nankervis, Dion Prestia, Tim Taranto
Int: Ben Miller, Daniel Rioli, Jacob Hopper, Jack Graham, Jayden Short

emg/ Ivan Soldo, Joshua Gibcus, Jack Ross, Tyler Sonsie

This team looks solid, with Ross/Sonsie to take over from Cotchin/Prestia whenever rests are needed. Possible that Cotchin regresses enough that one of Ross/Sonsie just take over entirely, but on 2022 form I have him Cotch just ahead.

The main question marks or spots up for grabs in 2023:

1. Riewoldt, does he drop off a little more and do we thus perhaps go with just the one key forward in Lynch? This would perhaps hurt us in some ways but make us more mobile at the same time.

2. Miller, I actually didn't mind him as a relief ruck that occasionally went forward. He had an average final against Brisbane but he's young and probably shat himself a bit, he'll get a little better. Honestly feel like he's an upgrade on Soldo who, whilst nice to keep, is a bit of a spud imo. But otherwise his spot is perhaps shaky, it'll be him, Soldo, or Ryan at various stages. But I really like Miller's athleticism, that running goal he kicked against North Melbourne being a prime example, and his kick from the wing into 50 in front of Cumberland in round 23.

3. Cumberland/MRJ, I reckon we'll see a little movement with these spots, depending on form we might see a bit more of Judson Clarke over the course of the year, and/or Sydney Stack if he gets another go (and I very much hope he does). I think Cumberland will probably drop off a tiny bit, his initial numbers were pretty crazy, but I do like him. I'm bullish on MRJ now, I reckon he'll explode a little, ala Daniel Rioli from 2016 to 2017. My only fear with Maurice is his kicking, compared to the premier smalls he can barely kick over a jam tin. Can you imagine Maurice swooping on a ball and snapping it with power from 40 metres all at speed, like Charlie Cameron did to us at the start of that last quarter? (heck, that was a lucky moment too, bounced off about 20 different things/players before falling into his hands, and he just boomed the shit out of it across his body, man, he only does that shit at the Gabba...) But yeah, would love to see Maurice get a little more power in his legs and kicking.

The rest is probably pretty set. Obviously Gibcus in for any defender when needed but presently not in our best side if we think we're trying to contend for the flag in 2023.

B: Baker, Tarrant, Grimes
HB: Vlastuin, Balta, Rioli
C: SHORT, Prestia, Pickett
HF: Bolton, Cumberland, Rioli Jr
F: Riewoldt, Lynch, Martin
R: Nankervis, Taranto, Hopper
BENCH: Stack, Ross, Broad, Sonsie, Miller/ Ryan

EMG: Cotchin, McIntosh, Gibcus, Ralphsmith

Only real changes i've made is the GWS boys starting mids and Short as an attacking Winger. We've improved our midfield out of sight, with Grimes back dunno how Short can fit into a bulging backline that needs to squeeze in Gibcus, Miller and Broad. Our gameplan for a long time hasn't really included wingers as attacking weapons there's been too much focus on defensive running. I reckon Shorty can be that loose man on the fat side who takes the switch runs his measure and bombs the ball in long and fast to our forwards. Miller/ Ryan will be a good 5th interchange depending who has the best preseason.

There's always injuries but right now I can't find a spot for Cotchin best 23 since he's mid or nothing. I can't find Graham or Soldo best 27 either. There's always some improver so hopefully Clarke, Banks, Brown, Bauer, etc lift.
Can't believe you have Stack and Sonsie in ahead of Cotch and KMac, Graham would also be the 1st EMG

has anyone been delisted yet
Not yet…There’s an inkling that Syd will be de-listed and then re-rookied…
I’m hoping they just promote him, cos I could see a lower club pulling a Greenwood on us…

A lot of people writing off Broad, I’d love to know why… thought he was amazing this year and don’t see him slowing down.
Broad is one of those guys that doesn't get the kudos he deserves. A hard nut who just goes about his job. A definite "Richmond man". May not be flashy, but is a definite best 22.

I think it's great that there are a lot of Best 22's being put forward here. Shows that we all believe there will be some fierce competition for spots next season. We weren't far off it this year, where we really suffered with injuries. Of course JR and Cotch are getting on, but Cotch showed late in the season that he is still the true leader of the group, and if we use him wisely he should still provide great value on the field. The introduction of the 2 mids should ensure we don't get smashed in the middle, which was happening especially when Dion was injured. Dion has been our barometer, and when he's flying we can beat anybody. TT and JH now ease the pressure that has been on him. That and the natural progression and improvement of the younger guys should stand us in good stead. It looks like we have that depth that we had in our premiership years, where if someone went down another stepped into their role without missing a beat. The experience our younger brigade got this year, including a final, will stand us in good stead. I'm more positive now than I was for 2021 and 2022. The next wave of dominance is just around the corner. As Big Kev used to say..."I'm excited!".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's great that there are a lot of Best 22's being put forward here. Shows that we all believe there will be some fierce competition for spots next season. We weren't far off it this year, where we really suffered with injuries. Of course JR and Cotch are getting on, but Cotch showed late in the season that he is still the true leader of the group, and if we use him wisely he should still provide great value on the field. The introduction of the 2 mids should ensure we don't get smashed in the middle, which was happening especially when Dion was injured. Dion has been our barometer, and when he's flying we can beat anybody. TT and JH now ease the pressure that has been on him. That and the natural progression and improvement of the younger guys should stand us in good stead. It looks like we have that depth that we had in our premiership years, where if someone went down another stepped into their role without missing a beat. The experience our younger brigade got this year, including a final, will stand us in good stead. I'm more positive now than I was for 2021 and 2022. The next wave of dominance is just around the corner. As Big Kev used to say..."I'm excited!".
Agreed we have a lot to be excited about and our team does appear to be stronger than in previous years but this needs to be tempered with the knowledge that the opposition is now considerably stronger than in the past as most teams have learnt from us the art of building a competitive list

Last edited:
Not yet…There’s an inkling that Syd will be de-listed and then re-rookied…
I’m hoping they just promote him, cos I could see a lower club pulling a Greenwood on us…

CCJ has lost his housemate JHF so he needs a new housemate. Dont know if he got along with JHF but they share the same philosophy of ONE year playing senior football at a club and then off you go.

I wonder what Sydney and CCJ will cook for meals.

Sydney has Stengle written all over him

Broad Tarrant Grimes
Rioli Balta Vlastuin
Pickett Taranto Short
Martin Riewoldt Bolton
Rioli Lynch Cumberland

Nankervis
Hopper
Prestia

Cotchin - Baker - Gibcus - Mcintosh - Graham/Sonsie (5 man bench)

EMER: Ross - Ralphsmith Miller

* Cotch to play a selwood bench role for the year

* Graham to play as a run with mid

* Gibcus and Miller to play pivotal roles as both can be swingman and use either end deoending injuries and match ups (both versatile)

* Short, I believe can become a premium winger in the AFL, good tank, elite kick and can assist in both ends and hit the score board.

* Dusty/Bolton to play 70% forward, 30% midfield, swapping with Taranto/Hopper (Both strong in the air and can hit scoreboard)

- I can see this team top 4 and 🤞 a flag in 2023, it is a strong line up, strongest in years 🐯

Broad Tarrant Grimes
Rioli Balta Vlastuin
Pickett Taranto Short
Martin Riewoldt Bolton
Rioli Lynch Cumberland

Nankervis
Hopper
Prestia

* Graham to play as a run with mid, Richmond have lacked a tagger to run with the best. Cripps Neale, Oliver etc all do as they please against us, different dynamoc with our new additions although I still believe a run with is needed and every player needs to make the oppositions best accountable, bumps off the ball, get into them and let them know they are playing the best midfield in the comp 🐯

* Gibcus and Miller to play pivotal roles as both can be swingman and use either end deoending injuries and match ups (both versatile)

* Short, I believe can become a premium winger in the AFL, good tank, elite kick and can assist in both ends and hit the score board.

* Dusty/Bolton to play 70% forward, 30% midfield, swapping with Taranto/Hopper (Both strong in the air and can hit scoreboard)

- I can see this team top 4 and 🤞 a flag in 2023, it is a strong line up, strongest in years 🐯

Broad Tarrant Grimes
Rioli Balta Vlastuin
Pickett Taranto Short
Martin Riewoldt Bolton
Rioli Lynch Cumberland

Nankervis
Hopper
Prestia

* Graham to play as a run with mid

One ruck with a five man bench just won't happen.

R1 Best 22
Vlastuin, Tarrant, Grimes
Rioli, Balta, Baker
KMac, Hopper, Short
Martin, Riewoldt, Bolton
MRJ, Lynch, Cumberland
Nank, Taranto, Prestia
Cotchin, Graham, Broad, Miller, SUB: Pickett

R1 side. B23

Rioli, Balta, Short
KMac, Hopper, Pickett
Martin, Riewoldt, Bolton
MRJ, Lynch, Cumberland
Nank, Taranto, Prestia
Cotchin, Graham, Broad, Baker, Miller

If we rested the veterans?

B22
Vlastuin, Balta, Broad
Rioli, Gibcus, Short
KMac Hopper, Ralphsmith
Martin, Lynch, Bolton
MRJ, Miller, Cumberland
Nank, Taranto, Prestia
Graham, Sonsie, Baker, Soldo, SUB: Ross

B23
Vlastuin, Balta, Broad
Rioli, Gibcus, Short
KMac Hopper, Ralphsmith
Martin, Lynch, Bolton
MRJ, Miler, Cumberland
Nank, Taranto, Prestia
Graham, Sonsie, Ross, Baker, Soldo

Last edited:
R1 Best 22
Rioli, Balta, Baker
KMac, Hopper, Short
Martin, Riewoldt, Bolton
MRJ, Lynch, Cumberland
Nank, Taranto, Prestia
Cotchin, Graham, Broad, Miller, SUB: Pickett

R1 side. B23

Rioli, Balta, Short
KMac, Hopper, Pickett
Martin, Riewoldt, Bolton
MRJ, Lynch, Cumberland
Nank, Taranto, Prestia
Cotchin, Graham, Broad, Baker, Miller

If we rested the veterans?

B22
Vlastuin, Balta, Broad
Rioli, Gibcus, Short
KMac Hopper, Ralphsmith
Martin, Lynch, Bolton
MRJ, Miller, Cumberland
Graham, Sonsie, Baker, Soldo, SUB: Ross

B23
Vlastuin, Balta, Broad
Rioli, Gibcus, Short
KMac Hopper, Ralphsmith
Martin, Lynch, Bolton
MRJ, Miler, Cumberland
Graham, Sonsie, Ross, Baker, Soldo
Dude you've left out your onballers Nank, Taranto and Prestia in those final two teams. We ain't going to beat anyone with 19 players lol

A lot of people writing off Broad, I’d love to know why… thought he was amazing this year and don’t see him slowing down.
Was going to post the same thing. WTF

Assuming there are no injuries come round 1, it will be very hard to pick. We almost always have injuries, so it will make it easier to select closer to the date..or at least during the year.

Richmond Round 1, 2023

B:
HB: Nick Vlastuin, Noah Balta, Daniel Rioli
C: Kamdyn McIntosh, Jacob Hopper, Marlion Pickett
HF: Tim Taranto, Jack Riewoldt, Shai Bolton
R: Toby Nankervis, Dion Prestia, Dustin Martin
Int: Trent Cotchin, Ben Miller, Liam Baker, Jayden Short, Jack Graham

EMG:
Sonsie, Ross, Soldo, Ralphsmith

I would actually rather see Dusty start in the guts and then can rest forward. Get him back to his best, in the position he plays his best. We will need him all around the ground with his X factor at every contest. Taranto can be the one that primarily rotates through with lots of midfield minutes, followed by Bolton, Cotchin and Graham, towards the end of the quarters.

Ones to watch on bad form are McIntosh, Pickett, Graham, Miller. If they play a couple bad games, I would immediately bring in Sonsie as the first cab off the rank. Gibcus also deserves a spot to give Tarrant/Grimes a rest when injured. I never want to see Balta forward ever again, and same with Gibcus. Keep them as our 2 defensive pillars.

Really difficult which is pleasing.

Fb: Broad - Tarrant - Grimes
HB: Rioli - Vlaustin - Short
C: McIntosh - Hopper - Pickett
HF: Bolton - Riewoldt - Martin
FF: Rioli - Lynch - Cumberland
Fill: Nankervis - Prestia - Taranto
I/C: Sonsie - Miller - Baker - Cotchin

Soldo and Gibcus/Graham if five on the bench, Miller if four.

Graham and Gibcus are excellent depth but it’ll be interesting to see how much committee view it. Graham being allowed to explore his options is probably pretty instructive, but he will get ample opportunity as no doubt Cotchin will be rested pretty regularly.

I just think Sonsie needs to be in the team - he looks a really exciting talent, and the type that needs to develop at the top level. He’s up to it. Not as sure about Gibcus yet - may need 18 months in and out of the side before he’s physically capable, but no doubt has the talent.

Edit: omg… Balta! I forgot him! It is genuinely so difficult!

Assuming there are no injuries come round 1, it will be very hard to pick. We almost always have injuries, so it will make it easier to select closer to the date..or at least during the year.

Richmond Round 1, 2023

B:

EMG:

I would actually rather see Dusty start in the guts and then can rest forward. Get him back to his best, in the position he plays his best. We will need him all around the ground with his X factor at every contest. Taranto can be the one that primarily rotates through with lots of midfield minutes, followed by Bolton, Cotchin and Graham, towards the end of the quarters.

Ones to watch on bad form are McIntosh, Pickett, Graham, Miller. If they play a couple bad games, I would immediately bring in Sonsie as the first cab off the rank. Gibcus also deserves a spot to give Tarrant/Grimes a rest when injured. I never want to see Balta forward ever again, and same with Gibcus. Keep them as our 2 defensive pillars.
B: Dylan Grimes, Robbie Tarrant, Nathan Broad

EMG:

LOCKED & LOADED

Remove this Banner Ad

STARTING 22 FOR 2023 - TOUGH DECISIONS TO BE MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back