27. Ivan Soldo
28. Jason Castanga
29. Tyler Sonsie
30. Sydney Stack
31. Thomson Dow
32. Ryhan Mansell
33. Samson Ryan
34. Riley Collier-Dawkins

I think Gibcus gets a gig because he will improve and offers extra versatility and with a five person bench some experimenting can occur including up the ground. Especially if Balta is mainly back

I also think Sonsie will probably play because he is something a little different with a touch of class with that zip.

It will be interesting to see how Banks, and Brown come on let alone Stack amongst others.

Taranto has extra endurance and Hopper more inside, it really changes our dynamic, probably will change our combination and how we play if five person bench to

I think a lot of players are not as safe as some make out. Vlaustin is not as safe as some think I think and others like Broad, Tarrant, Baker, Short, Graham are not necessarily safe either including the wings. MRJ is in at the moment but nothing could be taken for granted. Even Miller would want to improve as well to ensure he stays in and that is not allowing for injuries. Dusty could play better in the middle with Hopper and/or Taranto in there to. we de-risk Bolton getting injured a little to

Last edited:
FB- Vlastuin Tarrant Grimes

CHB- Rioli Balta Short

W- Macintosh Hopper Pickett

CHF- Martin Riewoldt Bolton

FF- Rioli Jnr Lynch Baker

Ruck- Nankervis Taranto Prestia

Int: Cotchin Cumberland Broad Sonsie Soldo

Emg: Gibcus, Sonsie, Ross, Graham

Clarke, Ryan, Miller, Brown, Banks, Bauer, Ralphsmith all developing to possibly move into seniors late into the season.

Stack, RCD, Dow, Mansell, Castagna all are break glass in case of emergency.

Still would like a developing high potential KPF out of the draft to round out the list.

Depth is now very strong. Top end talent is highly depending on Taranto developing into an A grader and Bolton to continue his rapid growth.

If Martin can play 80/20% fwd/mid then he kicks 50+ goals next year.

Lynch and Martin could easily combine for over 100 goals next year and if Shai and Cumberland can combine for another 80 then we win the flag.

This team is deeper then any of our teams from 2017,2019,2020.

FB: Baker, Tarrant, Grimes
HB: Vlaustin, Balta, Rioli
W: Kmac, Martin, Pickett
HF: Cumbo, Jack, Bolton
FF: MRJ, Lynch, Sonsie
Rucks: Nankervis, Prestia, Hopper
Bench: Taranto, Broad, Short, Cotchin, Miller.

Wow, this is hard.

B: Vlastuin, Grimes, Balta
HB: Baker, Tarrant, Rioli
C: McIntosh, Prestia, Pickett
HF: Bolton, Cumberland, Rioli Jr
F: Riewoldt, Lynch, Martin
R: Nankervis, Taranto, Hopper
Int: Short, Cotchin, Broad, Miller, Sonsie*

*if 5 man bench comes in, otherwise Sonsie comes out

Emergency: Graham, Gibcus, Ross, Soldo

B: Vlastuin, Grimes, Balta
HB: Baker, Tarrant, Rioli
C: McIntosh, Prestia, Pickett
Int: Short, Cotchin, Broad, Miller, Sonsie*

*if 5 man bench comes in, otherwise Sonsie comes out

Emergency: Graham, Gibcus, Ross, Soldo

Prestia is too short for centre. I imagine Taranto takes that spot and provides a option for defence. Prestia takes the roving role one would think

Prestia is too short for centre. I imagine Taranto takes that spot and provides a option for defence. Prestia takes the roving role one would think

Interchangeable really, could even plonk hopper in the middle

I wonder how Sonsie would be feeling, looks like he could be a genuine A-Grade midfielder but now probably behind the pecking order with Taranto and Hopper. I would count him in the gun midfield group as I don't think he produced 1 stinker in every game he played towards the latter part of the season.

No Shane Edwards at CHF :(

B: Baker, Tarrant, Grimes
HB: Vlastuin, Balta, Rioli
C: SHORT, Prestia, Pickett
BENCH: Stack, Ross, Broad, Sonsie, Miller/ Ryan

EMG: Cotchin, McIntosh, Gibcus, Ralphsmith

Only real changes i've made is the GWS boys starting mids and Short as an attacking Winger. We've improved our midfield out of sight, with Grimes back dunno how Short can fit into a bulging backline that needs to squeeze in Gibcus, Miller and Broad. Our gameplan for a long time hasn't really included wingers as attacking weapons there's been too much focus on defensive running. I reckon Shorty can be that loose man on the fat side who takes the switch runs his measure and bombs the ball in long and fast to our forwards. Miller/ Ryan will be a good 5th interchange depending who has the best preseason.

There's always injuries but right now I can't find a spot for Cotchin best 23 since he's mid or nothing. I can't find Graham or Soldo best 27 either. There's always some improver so hopefully Clarke, Banks, Brown, Bauer, etc lift.

Unless someone really bashes the door down over the preseason, here is where I see round 1 starting.
B: Short Tarrant Grimes
HB: D. Rioli Balta Vlastuin
C: McIntosh Hopper Pickett
HF: Martin Reiwoldt Graham
F: Cumberland Lynch Bolton
R: Nankervis Taranto Prestia

Int: Cotchin, Baker, Broad, Gibcus SUB: MJR

EMER Georgie/Sonsie/Stack/Ross/Soldo/Miller (any of these players could easily be in the team)

This team is stacked and is cherry ripe for another flag. There are up to 10 very unlucky players that will miss round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Broad very unlucky. Provides great defence, attack and rebound and can play tall or small.

Would like to see Gibcus take Tarrant's spot because he will be bigger and stronger, is going to be a star and Balta can take the monster forwards. Not too many sides have the need for two big strong backs like those two.

FB- Vlastuin Tarrant Grimes

CHB- Rioli Balta Short

W- Macintosh Hopper Pickett

CHF- Martin Riewoldt Bolton

FF- Rioli Jnr Lynch Baker

Ruck- Nankervis Taranto Prestia

Int: Cotchin Cumberland Broad Sonsie Soldo

Emg: Gibcus, Sonsie, Ross, Graham

Clarke, Ryan, Miller, Brown, Banks, Bauer, Ralphsmith all developing to possibly move into seniors late into the season.

Stack, RCD, Dow, Mansell, Castagna all are break glass in case of emergency.

Still would like a developing high potential KPF out of the draft to round out the list.

Depth is now very strong. Top end talent is highly depending on Taranto developing into an A grader and Bolton to continue his rapid growth.

If Martin can play 80/20% fwd/mid then he kicks 50+ goals next year.

Lynch and Martin could easily combine for over 100 goals next year and if Shai and Cumberland can combine for another 80 then we win the flag.

This team is deeper then any of our teams from 2017,2019,2020.
this is the best one so far and extra points for having soldo on the 5-man bench, unlike the other dopey campaigners posting in here

I just tried to piece together a team. God help the selection committee if everyone is fit and raring to go in round 1. There is a very real chance that some excellent players miss out. Cotchin, KMac, Pickett, Tarrant, Short, Baker, Gibcus, Sonsie, Graham etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if MRJ or/and cumberland were dropped
I wouldn’t be surprised either. But what it will do is create pressure for spots and not just handing out games to players that aren’t in form.

I’d love to see Clarke, Banks and Brown all pushing for senior selection after pre season matches. I think all three of these young fellas are AFL quality and in clarkes case he could be anything.

It’s going to be another very interesting pre season coming up.

Broad very unlucky. Provides great defence, attack and rebound and can play tall or small.

Would like to see Gibcus take Tarrant's spot because he will be bigger and stronger, is going to be a star and Balta can take the monster forwards. Not too many sides have the need for two big strong backs like those two.
balta still back, Tarrant deeper, Gibcus with more development and be tried in a few different roles especially with five person bench

I think think this is a chance to get experimental with Gibcus.

The thing is Brown and banks could get a run to so chance to try a few different things especially with the guts more sured up with hopper and Taranto

I just tried to piece together a team. God help the selection committee if everyone is fit and raring to go in round 1. There is a very real chance that some excellent players miss out. Cotchin, KMac, Pickett, Tarrant, Short, Baker, Gibcus, Sonsie, Graham etc.

I think that’s the thing though. If this year was anything to go by we’re going to get injuries and there’s going to be significant opportunities

Still haven’t heard any announcements from the club on who’s replacing Burge

Time to throw some wild shit about.

How about Gibcus on a half forward flank and Bolton on the wing

rose blooming GIF

Dusty can play CHF now

Remove this Banner Ad

STARTING 22 FOR 2023 - TOUGH DECISIONS TO BE MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back