Remove this Banner Ad

B Saad Zerk-Thatcher Francis
HB McKeena Hurley Redman
C Shiel McGrath Cutler
HF Smith Stringer Langford
F Fantasia Mckernan Tipungwuti
R: Phillips Heppell Merrett
IC: Parish, Snelling, Ridley, Guelfi

Definitely a best 22 player, but if Ridley keeps up his form, it’s bloody tough comp for a spot back there with him, Gleeson, Francis, Saad, Redman and possibly McKenna.
He's the only player listed there that can play on mediums and smalls
Gleeson isn't a lock. Saad, Redman, McKenna and McGrath if they are playing back are all in front.
Nah. He's a lock because he can play mediums and smalls. Only other guy on our list who can do that is Ridley and Marty is streets ahead defensively.

Just re watching a bit of Thursdays game i think Ham has to be picked over Zaharakis, Langford and probably Cutler aswell. 1 of those other 3 play aswell. Cutler and Ham the leading wingmen for me. Ham just has the outside polish we need and can setup play. Cutler has the penetration and genuine line breaking, territory gaining ability required.

Make Langford and esp Zacka earn their round 1 place. If Heppell doesnt get up then fair enough one will be required or Hibberd.

He's the only player listed there that can play on mediums and smalls

Nah. He's a lock because he can play mediums and smalls. Only other guy on our list who can do that is Ridley and Marty is streets ahead defensively.

What medium can Redman not play on and what smalls is Gleeson playing on?

I doubt that Gleeson is considered a best 22 player because of his 1v1 defending.

His best footy has been played in a third tall role when he started floating in as a third man a at a contest. That's what sets him apart from the competition (i.e. Ridley and Redman).

He's also very highly regarded for his ability to set play up. I reckon it was a training video with Kelly this year that he mentions it.

So far this year it's Ridley 1 v Gleeson 0. I'm not saying that puts Ridley in front of Gleeson but what would the ledger have to look like before Ridley goes past him? What about Redman?

It's only a matter of time.

Just re watching a bit of Thursdays game i think Ham has to be picked over Zaharakis, Langford and probably Cutler aswell. 1 of those other 3 play aswell. Cutler and Ham the leading wingmen for me. Ham just has the outside polish we need and can setup play. Cutler has the penetration and genuine line breaking, territory gaining ability required.

Make Langford and esp Zacka earn their round 1 place. If Heppell doesnt get up then fair enough one will be required or Hibberd.

Zaka played half forward and was pretty good.

Round 1 isn’t everything, Hooker and Heppell hopefully right by round 2-3. Ambrose round 5-6. Daniher 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Redman BZT Francis
Ridley Hurley Saad
Merrett Parish Ham
Stringer McKernan Smith
Fantasia Laverde Tipungwuti
Phillips McGrath Shiel
Zaharakis Langford Gleeson McKenna

Have to see how Cutler plays in the Geelong prac match.

Round 1 isn’t everything, Hooker and Heppell hopefully right by round 2-3. Ambrose round 5-6. Daniher 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Redman BZT Francis
Ridley Hurley Saad
Merrett Parish Ham
Stringer McKernan Smith
Fantasia Laverde Tipungwuti
Phillips McGrath Shiel
Zaharakis Langford Gleeson McKenna

Have to see how Cutler plays in the Geelong prac match.
Add Townsend. We need his intent and presence.

Townsend likely adds the 'shit where is he?' not dissimilar to the days of Dean Wallis. Above the shoulders is where we can upset opposition to our advantage and the bloke doesn't mind a goal. Getting him to start might just be the making of why we recruited him.

Townsend likely adds the 'shit where is he?' not dissimilar to the days of Dean Wallis. Above the shoulders is where we can upset opposition to our advantage and the bloke doesn't mind a goal. Getting him to start might just be the making of why we recruited him.
Yeah Townsend must play

Yeah, when he plays supporters will be "shit, is he near the ball?"

Yeah Townsend must play
Whose place does he take? Not, Walla, Fanta, Smith, Parish or Laverde at this stage. And not Langford either after the other night. And not McKenna if he goes forward.

Whose place does he take? Not, Walla, Fanta, Smith, Parish or Laverde at this stage. And not Langford either after the other night. And not McKenna if he goes forward.
He’s not best 22 imo. Great depth player, but there are too many in front of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What medium can Redman not play on and what smalls is Gleeson playing on?

I doubt that Gleeson is considered a best 22 player because of his 1v1 defending.

His best footy has been played in a third tall role when he started floating in as a third man a at a contest. That's what sets him apart from the competition (i.e. Ridley and Redman).

He's also very highly regarded for his ability to set play up. I reckon it was a training video with Kelly this year that he mentions it.

So far this year it's Ridley 1 v Gleeson 0. I'm not saying that puts Ridley in front of Gleeson but what would the ledger have to look like before Ridley goes past him? What about Redman?

It's only a matter of time.
Redman has never really taken a medium, basically ever.

Gleeson played on smalls like Matera, Murphy, Turner, Ronke last year. He rarely takes the best small forward, that's usually Saad, but depending on the set up of the opposition forward line he plays on both.

And no, he's rarely played that "3rd tall" role as most of the time he's played alongside 3 of Hurley/Hooker/Ambrose/Francis/Hartley playing as three talls. He's a flexible defender with great interception skills.

I just don't understand why Essendon fans seemingly underrate him.

Gleeson played on smalls like Matera, Murphy, Turner, Ronke last year. He rarely takes the best small forward, that's usually Saad, but depending on the set up of the opposition forward line he plays on both.

And no, he's rarely played that "3rd tall" role as most of the time he's played alongside 3 of Hurley/Hooker/Ambrose/Francis/Hartley playing as three talls. He's a flexible defender with great interception skills.

I have to (unusually) agree with eth-dog on this. Gleeson has the runs on the board, works really well with Hurley, and with Hooker & Ambrose out I think he's one of the 1st picked in our backline. Ridley is coming along nicely and will feature a fair bit in our senior team this year but Gleeson is still well ahead of him at this stage. We cant fit them all in our round 1 starting 22 - and right now I have Ridley just outside, along with Clarke (how could come in to tag Fyfe), Guelfi, Townsend & Snelling. Most of these guys you can make a case for and some will play as theres still 18 days & another practice match against the Cats before round 1. Right now I have;-

Francis Margaret Redman
Gleeson Hurley Saad
Parish McGrath Ham
Zakka McKernan Smith
Stringer Laverde Tippa

Phillips Shiel Merrett

Bench: Fanta McKenna Langford Cutler

Next in line: Clarke, Ridley, Guelfi, Snelling, Townsend.

If Gleeson is underrated it's probably because he hasn't played a game justifying his reputation since 2017.

By the way what is a medium forward?

I have to (unusually) agree with eth-dog on this. Gleeson has the runs on the board, works really well with Hurley, and with Hooker & Ambrose out I think he's one of the 1st picked in our backline. Ridley is coming along nicely and will feature a fair bit in our senior team this year but Gleeson is still well ahead of him at this stage. We cant fit them all in our round 1 starting 22 - and right now I have Ridley just outside, along with Clarke (how could come in to tag Fyfe), Guelfi, Townsend & Snelling. Most of these guys you can make a case for and some will play as theres still 18 days & another practice match against the Cats before round 1. Right now I have;-

Francis Margaret Redman
Gleeson Hurley Saad
Parish McGrath Ham
Zakka McKernan Smith
Stringer Laverde Tippa

Phillips Shiel Merrett

Bench: Fanta McKenna Langford Cutler

Next in line: Clarke, Ridley, Guelfi, Snelling, Townsend.
I do think Ridley gets a gig round 1. We play 7 defenders usually so he'll play half back in a rotation with the above 6.
If Gleeson is underrated it's probably because he hasn't played a game justifying his reputation since 2017.

What utter bullshit that is. He played some very good football last year.

A medium forward is someone like Gary Rohan, Begley, Tom Lynch, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Ziebell, Caddy, and probably a bunch of others I've forgotten. Not quite smalls, not quite tells.

A medium forward is someone like Gary Rohan, Begley, Tom Lynch, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Ziebell, Caddy, and probably a bunch of others I've forgotten. Not quite smalls, not quite tells.

Stringer, Laverde, Langford would all be 'mediums' as well. They'd all probably have been a KPF size in the 80s.

Stringer, Laverde, Langford would all be 'mediums' as well. They'd all probably have been a KPF size in the 80s.
Yep.

I do think Ridley gets a gig round 1. We play 7 defenders usually so he'll play half back in a rotation with the above 6.

What utter bullshit that is. He played some very good football last year.

He can't really play on a lot of medium forwards, as he simply doesn't have the strength. Membrey, Ziebell, Gunston, Caddy, Rohan, Martin, Laverde, Stringer, De Goey, Dangerfield, etc would simply over power him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back