State of umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

I refer back to the post I made about times in the past year where Collingwood were hanging onto leads in the last minute of games where they suddenly decide to put the whistle away when the opposition are making their last charge. All in Melbourne against interstate or a smaller Melbourne club.

Completely amateur hour.
I don’t think it is an afl conspiracy, though they still have their stupid weekly directives. I think it is part time umpires shitting themselves in the key moments because they get intimidated by the crowd. Individual bias, even within games (a player mouths off or plays for a free) is definitely a factor for some umpires too (see Fisher). They need to be trained and paid on a full time basis. It is absolute amateur hour that they don’t.

The fundamental problem is that the game is over-governed. The 'umpires department' is simply a device to amend the rules according to the whims of AFL officials, resulting in rule changes 'by interpretation'. In such an environment it's small wonder umpires second guess themselves and produce these howlers.

As far as I know, the AFL is the only elite collision sport in the world where the rules are amended by 'interpretation'.

Just give the umpires the rule book and evaluate their performance against what the laws of the game require, and not assess umpires against their compliance with whatever fashion statement emerges from AFL House.

Tom Morris thinking that the throwing rule was somehow contingent on prior opportunity.

Muppet.
Yeah and two of the greatest players (and coach) to ever lace them up just looked at him like the squib little germ he is..

Tom Morris thinking that the throwing rule was somehow contingent on prior opportunity.

Muppet.
That twitter account "Has the umpire made yet another blunder" seems to think the same.

I understand that the rule allows for a player to make a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball in a legitimate manner, however, that should not allow obvious throws. It is also conveniently ignored by umpires on selected occasions, where players are sometimes pinged even when they do get a fist to the ball.

The state of umpiring is deplorable. It's chaos with inconsistency and obvious favouritism and it's high time the AFL step in to enforce integrity. If they choose to not do so then Sport Integrity Australia must intervene. This garbage cannot continue.

If the tables had been turned and North were lifted to victory over Collingwood yesterday the stands would have erupted into a near riot and the media would be going nuts. So far, only Bartel, Matthews and Ralph have stood up and pointed out the glaring anomalies. The rest need to join in the chorus or admit that they are cowardly lackies.

That twitter account "Has the umpire made yet another blunder" seems to think the same.

I understand that the rule allows for a player to make a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball in a legitimate manner, however, that should not allow obvious throws. It is also conveniently ignored by umpires on selected occasions, where players are sometimes pinged even when they do get a fist to the ball.

The state of umpiring is deplorable. It's chaos with inconsistency and obvious favouritism and it's high time the AFL step in to enforce integrity. If they choose to not do so then Sport Integrity Australia must intervene. This garbage cannot continue.

If the tables had been turned and North were lifted to victory over Collingwood yesterday the stands would have erupted into a near riot and the media would be going nuts. So far, only Bartel, Matthews and Ralph have stood up and pointed out the glaring anomalies. The rest need to join in the chorus or admit that they are cowardly lackies.

This is a basic template I've made. It's not perfect but it has most of the scenarios covered.

I get why punters find this confusing but umpires should get the basics right. Discretion calls (what's prior, what's a legitimate attempt etc) are anther thing.

1718583909401.png

This is a basic template I've made. It's not perfect but it has most of the scenarios covered.

I get why punters find this confusing but umpires should get the basics right. Discretion calls (what's prior, what's a legitimate attempt etc) are anther thing.

View attachment 2022142
There is a far simpler version...

Is the umpire Fisher or Stevic?

Was a North Melbourne player involved?

Free kick Collingwood.

The funny part is, Quaynor isn't even being talked. He's just launching the footy 🤣

Stick with the boys club Tommy. They'll look after you.
Right, that was Tom Morris. Now I know who he is.

At least Bartel said (in a carefully moderated manner) what was really going on. He knows that the game is a game.

Right, that was Tom Morris. Now I know who he is.

At least Bartel said (in a carefully moderated manner) what was really going on. He knows that the game is a game.

Sorry mate, it should have said, "quaynor isn't even being tackled"

e.g. Tom Morris' argument makes zero sense. Quaynor is just launching the ball like a cheat...

The AFL mentions themselves that the umpires are being given in ear instructions during games.

It would be amazing if this wasn't being used to alter the outcomes of games in real time.

The AFL isn't the only sport that biases for particular teams due to the potential of making more money.

Not an umpire hater, I think it rarely costs games.

But it's truly never been worse. Never. Makes some neutral games impossible to watch.

The AFL mentions themselves that the umpires are being given in ear instructions during games.

It would be amazing if this wasn't being used to alter the outcomes of games in real time.

The AFL isn't the only sport that biases for particular teams due to the potential of making more money.
Why are they getting so many decisions wrong then? If it wasn't already, the integrity of the game certainly starts to be questioned if this is the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The introduction of the fourth umpire has been a complete failure. It creates confusion everywhere. Who is the controlling umpire.
The AFL needs to address the real issue with the game and that is that the game is too fast to umpire.
The game needs to be slowed down and this can only happen by reducing the interchange bench and number of interchanges.
There are too many players around the ball. The playing area is more crowded than the traffic in China.
The coaches have created this situation and want the rules changed to suit themselves.

Yet the same set of umpires interpreted LDU slipping on his backside and hand balling it away as holding the ball.

How the same set of umpires could all see that as holding the ball, yet let legitimate holding the ball scenarios go, is the real question that has to be asked.

It’s selective umpiring bias. Anyone that doesn’t think these guys umpire without bias, has their head in the sand.

The non 50 metre decision was living proof of it. It’s a close game and the Collingwood fans will go crazy if I pay that, so surprise surprise no call.

They even have time to make the call and stop play and award the 50 yet choose to let the game roll on.

It’s a tough way to lose a game of footy when the umpires interject themselves into the contest like they did after half time.

Yes a good side would probably be able to overcome it, but this is a young group, that is still learning how to win.

The scoreboard says Collingwood won the game, but let’s be honest there is a massive * on that result based on what transpired after half time.

Let’s hope the boys build off it and it doesn’t destroy their confidence, because in the eyes of the majority of footy fans they were ripped off from what would have been a great win for this group.

The fundamental problem is that the game is over-governed. The 'umpires department' is simply a device to amend the rules according to the whims of AFL officials, resulting in rule changes 'by interpretation'. In such an environment it's small wonder umpires second guess themselves and produce these howlers.

As far as I know, the AFL is the only elite collision sport in the world where the rules are amended by 'interpretation'.

Just give the umpires the rule book and evaluate their performance against what the laws of the game require, and not assess umpires against their compliance with whatever fashion statement emerges from AFL House.
Too many chiefs not enough..

Look, I am a johnny come lately to this thread as I know that the disgrace yesterday has been discussed at length. An absolute travesty what Collingwood were allowed to get away with yesterday that cost you guys the win regardless that they whittled down a 54 point lead. In the end, they should be looking at a loss and a dent to their top 4 aspirations and your youngsters celebrating a confidence boosting win over last years premiers.

We had it last year with Dawson getting thumped in the head with 10 seconds to go 20m out directly in front that would have surely given us the win that was not paid. We have had 3 apologies for games where umpiring has directly cost us games late on with the worst being the non goal v sydney that cost us finals last year.

There is absolutely a pattern here, if you are an interstate club or a lower rated vic club playing one of the big Vic cubs, you just get butchered by the umpires. They don't even try to hide it anymore, they are almost cheering on their sides at the end in the close ones. Something really has to change or supporters just get disenfranchised as you just know what will happen when the opportunity presents for the umpires to influence the outcome of these games.

Anyway as a supporter who likes the north Melbourne footy club, I feel for you guys yesterday - especially the supporters and the younger players. robbed does not even begin to cut it. I will see myself out now.

I find it amusing listening to Collingwood fans calling in to talk back radio saying umpires don't affect the outcome of games.
It's easy to say that when you consistently get the rub of the green.
I'd love to say your time will come to be on the other end of poor decisions causing a loss but we all know that won't happen.

I had the sense that it was going to be an average umpiring game in the first quarter when Sheezel laid a standard htb, which was called, but the umpires paid advantage to the pies. The ball was nearly at the interchange bench before it was recalled.

Look, I am a johnny come lately to this thread as I know that the disgrace yesterday has been discussed at length. An absolute travesty what Collingwood were allowed to get away with yesterday that cost you guys the win regardless that they whittled down a 54 point lead. In the end, they should be looking at a loss and a dent to their top 4 aspirations and your youngsters celebrating a confidence boosting win over last years premiers.

We had it last year with Dawson getting thumped in the head with 10 seconds to go 20m out directly in front that would have surely given us the win that was not paid. We have had 3 apologies for games where umpiring has directly cost us games late on with the worst being the non goal v sydney that cost us finals last year.

There is absolutely a pattern here, if you are an interstate club or a lower rated vic club playing one of the big Vic cubs, you just get butchered by the umpires. They don't even try to hide it anymore, they are almost cheering on their sides at the end in the close ones. Something really has to change or supporters just get disenfranchised as you just know what will happen when the opportunity presents for the umpires to influence the outcome of these games.

Anyway as a supporter who likes the north Melbourne footy club, I feel for you guys yesterday - especially the supporters and the younger players. robbed does not even begin to cut it. I will see myself out now.
It’s funny how Laura Kane made a big song and dance about how they had fixed the review system after Adelaide were robbed of a chance to play finals and not less than 12 months later we yet again have another review fiasco where clear footage of the ball being touched was ignored.

It wasn’t as heartbreaking as what Adelaide went through, but if the AFL are going to come out and tell the world it’s fixed and we will do better, then don’t keep running the review system like a circus.

No apology is going to fix a result, but to use a Denis Paganism, stop pissing down supporters backs and tell them it’s raining.

It’s meant to be a professional sport with mechanisms in place to prevent these instances, yet here we are again discussing a complete **** up. A **** up that wasn’t even 50-50, the vision was conclusive and just ignored.

I find it amusing listening to Collingwood fans calling in to talk back radio saying umpires don't affect the outcome of games.
It's easy to say that when you consistently get the rub of the green.
I'd love to say your time will come to be on the other end of poor decisions causing a loss but we all know that won't happen.
Remember when they were on wrong end of a bad centre bounce against us?
Rules got changed....

Remember when they were on wrong end of a bad centre bounce against us?
Rules got changed....
They all bitched and moaned about the 50 against Freo and by the rules the umpire actually got the call right.

Can you imagine the meltdown they would have if they were on the wrong end of actual wrong decision making like yesterday?

For that umpiring crew to only see 4 infringements after half time when commentators picked out 4 in a 10 minute period shows how farcical that contest became after half time.

It was like two sides playing the same game, but with two very different sets of rules.

I for one hope they lose a big final to a dodgy call. The arrogance they have displayed, will mean not one supporter outside of Collingwood will give two ****s if it happens.

I had the sense that it was going to be an average umpiring game in the first quarter when Sheezel laid a standard htb, which was called, but the umpires paid advantage to the pies. The ball was nearly at the interchange bench before it was recalled.
It was laughable. Just one in a long line of umpiring decisions yesterday that are finally being called out because it was against Collingwood.

Why are they getting so many decisions wrong then? If it wasn't already, the integrity of the game certainly starts to be questioned if this is the case.
I'm suggesting it is why there are so many wrong decisions. I have no inside information but if money is your priority over ethics, then it makes perfect sense to orchestrate outcomes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back