State of umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL House is a PR firm managed by lawyers with an end goal of making a shitload of cash for those with fancy job titles. I absolutely believe they have hackneyed plans to change narratives and alter perceptions. Whether they're good enough plans or not is a separate issue.

Fully with you in regards to there not being moments of reflection let alone shame, and it's all because they only care about the end product (the games on any given weekend) in terms of how much cash it makes them. Everything else is secondary.
Nothing else needs to be said. A very accurate description of what most of us know. The only addition I would make is fudged, corrupt. That can be thrown in to.

The umpires are so confused (or incompetent). That was 100% holding the ball against Xerri just before 3/4 time. The mid-year rule change has simply confused them to the point that it's borderline unwatchable now.

The crowd don't know what to expect... the commentators don't know what to expect... And - more importantly - the players don't know what to expect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laura Kane in the coming days, presumably:
It was a confusing situation, and the umpire has made a mistake there in not calling for a ball-up immediately when May is first tackled. Because the correct call was not made initially, and the umpire failed to call 'play on' to communicate that he hadn't in fact called for a ball-up despite the objective indicators that it could have been paid, this has caused the Melbourne players in the vicinity to be confused and not realise the tackle is still happening, which meant that Ford did actually infringe because continuing to apply the tackle in such circumstances is quite dangerous, and as you can see was the direct cause of May making head-high contact to the ground because he wouldn't have been in a position to play for that free kick if Ford hadn't continued to tackle him. So the dangerous tackle call against Ford was correct...

Our protected zone has been reduced to about a 20cm circle around the player
Multiple infringements. There was one where three Melbourne players ran through the zone just before half time and not a peep from any of the four umpires. But there were several other occasions when 50 ought to have been paid (including at least one against North).

I hate the tiggy touchwood 50s but if other teams get them and they are clearly there I don't understand why we rarely get them.

And don't get me started on advantage.

Dangerous tackle, just like the Logies, has now turned into a best actor award, these fakers should be fined or suspended if repeat offenders, it's Aussie Rules ffs, not friggin Soccer
I reckon if you go down holding your head for a dangerous tackle free it should be a compulsory concussion test. That will soon stop it.

Stephen may called for staging for that free kick where he faked being a dangerous tackle

And media saying HTB was not paid correctly at all tonight

I bet you Laura Kane will say its fine
That's really weak by may. I hope Melksham punches him in the nose now as it's pretty obvious May isn't half as tough as he pretends to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

State of umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Back