State of umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, don't make her a scapegoat for what are effectively a decades worth of institutional **** ups by people with no idea.
Yep, rules commitee.

Dr Strangelove Movie GIF

She’s not taking accountability for the state of it right now is my point

Just shut up and take it. Keep paying for games and your memberships without a plan to fix or improve.

Trying for us fans to just accept it
Do you really expect Kane (or any other AFL mouthpiece,) to come out and say wtte of "we have ****ed the umpiring situation up beyond all recognition and need a complete overhaul of everything!"

Because that's where its at.

The umps need to be professional and there needs to be open feedback/calling from umps off the ground watching the game on video, who have 5-10 seconds to call a play back for a free or overrule an error in calling a free.

Otherwise we go back to two or three umps and accept alot of calls will be missed by the umpires and that's just part of the game.

So now she refuses to front to the media and she wants us to stop talking about the umpires as its taking up too much of her precious time LOL

Zero accountability
Zero change
Zero transparency
Zero improvement
Zero plan forward
Zero leadership

We will not be allowed to even criticise the game whilst she is at the helm. She's made this a hard rule from now on BTW. So no transparency going forward.

Watch the game get ****ing worse. The umpiring and the state at the game has been its worst it’s ever been. You just want us all to shut up and deal with it, nothing to see here, coz you can’t handle the criticism or fans that pay good money to watch. Weak as bloody piss.

Sack the clown!

Never has someone been so unqualified and over their head in that role.

She thinks she is talking to a bunch of village idiots.

She is taking a giant dump on the game and asking us to make sandwiches out of it and have a picnic.

If Dillon has any sense he sacks the clown, even if she is nothing more than a puppet. She is the same as a coach killer, except she could turn out to be a CEO killer.

Yeah, don't make her a scapegoat for what are effectively a decades worth of institutional **** ups by people with no idea.
She might be a scapegoat, but at least the other clueless clowns didn’t come out and publicly treat AFL fans like a bunch of dribbling morons that should just be happy to take what she gives them. Most of them were smart enough to shut up instead of coming out with absurd statements.

She’s thinks she knows better than the stakeholders she works for, which is the AFL Supporter and fan.

Otherwise we go back to two or three umps and accept alot of calls will be missed by the umpires and that's just part of the game.
I was having a chat to a mate of mine at the dogs game about the potential for AI to umpire a game.

I actually think it would be nigh on impossible for it to do that. Mainly because of so many things being let go, and yet others are over officious.

I mean how much holding goes on in a game? for both sides. each team each player practically every contest. Holding is illegal within the game yet not called because of the vibe of the thing.

I am ok for calls to be missed. completely fine with it.

I would happily have them revert to 3 umpires with no instructions through the ear pieces. And it is fantasy to say that they are not getting instruction because it is absolutely the source of the up tick in delayed calls.

I actually think that in an effort to try and get every infringement right they have fundamentally missed what the most important bit about umpiring is. Consistency.

I would take free kick tallies being in single digits for both sides where the calls were consistently good or bad both ways.

Put the whistles away for longer with less umpires. Only pay clear infringements and let them broadly just get on with it.

how anyone thought that by adding another umpire and the instructions in the ear would somehow land us at a magical land of less interpretation is beyond me.

She might be a scapegoat, but at least the other clueless clowns didn’t come out and publicly treat AFL fans like a bunch of dribbling morons that should just be happy to take what she gives them. Most of them were smart enough to shut up instead of coming out with absurd statements.

She’s thinks she knows better than the stakeholders she works for, which is the AFL Supporter and fan.
She's not making off the cuff statements. Everything would be decided on beforehand by a committee of people in suits. Yes she is on that committee but she's not making this stuff up off her own bat.

She's not making off the cuff statements. Everything would be decided on beforehand by a committee of people in suits. Yes she is on that committee but she's not making this stuff up off her own bat.
That’s why I qualified that she might be the scapegoat.

But at the end of the day the idiotic statements are coming out of her mouth around issues she is meant to be overseeing.

You can’t possibly defend the shitshow, that she is by title in charge of.

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t claim that she is capable but then use the defence that she is just the mouthpiece. If she is just a mouthpiece then it’s probably more proof she shouldn’t be in the role and we just pay someone peanuts to parrot the AFL’s message.

That’s why I qualified that she might be the scapegoat.

But at the end of the day the idiotic statements are coming out of her mouth around issues she is meant to be overseeing.

You can’t possibly defend the shitshow, that she is by title in charge of.

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t claim that she is capable but then use the defence that she is just the mouthpiece. If she is just a mouthpiece then it’s probably more proof she shouldn’t be in the role and we just pay someone peanuts to parrot the AFL’s message.
Reread the third and fourth posts (mine) in this thread.

Again, highlights the haves and have nots in the AFL.

Compare the pair.

If it wasn't for some media disbelief at the unpaid Scott 50, no way Laura Kane comes out with an explanation, however unconvincing it was.

NMFC would have got donuts otherwise.

Because the "unfortunate events" affects one of the big 4, Essendon didn't even need to pick up the phone.

Brad Scott got a call and an apology from the Bighouse as quick as Menzie headed for that goal line.

Pathetic how obvious it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would take free kick tallies being in single digits for both sides where the calls were consistently good or bad both ways.

Put the whistles away for longer with less umpires. Only pay clear infringements and let them broadly just get on with it.
And yet back in the day, there were vastly more free kicks than there are now.

I'll always say the problem isn't the umpires, it's the rules. So many extra things the umpires have to officiate, and so many of them are grey areas or require interpretation - insufficient intent, under pressure, genuine attempt.

Then throw in even more umpires, so the quality dilutes, and no wonder it's a shitshow.

And yet back in the day, there were vastly more free kicks than there are now.

I'll always say the problem isn't the umpires, it's the rules. So many extra things the umpires have to officiate, and so many of them are grey areas or require interpretation - insufficient intent, under pressure, genuine attempt.

Then throw in even more umpires, so the quality dilutes, and no wonder it's a shitshow.

agree.

like most things it is not just one thing.

It is exceedingly hard to keep it straight what the rules are and lets face it some are f***ing ridiculous. Nominating ruckmen? 666 warnings? are they 10 years old out there?

the beauty of it is that it the rules being confusing and the umpires being incompetent are not mutually exclusive. Which is how you get the Leigh fishers of this world.

agree.

like most things it is not just one thing.

It is exceedingly hard to keep it straight what the rules are and lets face it some are f***ing ridiculous. Nominating ruckmen? 666 warnings? are they 10 years old out there?

the beauty of it is that it the rules being confusing and the umpires being incompetent are not mutually exclusive. Which is how you get the Leigh fishers of this world.
I'll agree on 666 but nominating rucks doesn't bother me, tbh.

Firstly, you have to nominate rucks in the centre square (given only rucks are allowed in the circle) but clubs were taking the piss in using a ruck to shepherd while the third man up came in. It was difficult for the umpire to get it right and this was a useful solution.

Other than the occasional slight delay, never more than a couple of seconds, and far shorter than it usually takes players to get up off the ground, what's the problem?

I kinda loved how the AFL called Brad, probably hoping its a private conversation, and then Brad proceeds to share it all on AFL360 lol. I didn't really understand which decisions were correct or not by the end of the discussion because Brad tends to waffle on not saying all that much coherently but sounding like he's very intelligent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back