State of umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Gas Mislead GIF by Christopher Pindling
In other news the little arrow beside the bowser image points to the side the fuel tank is on.

agree.

like most things it is not just one thing.

It is exceedingly hard to keep it straight what the rules are and lets face it some are f***ing ridiculous. Nominating ruckmen? 666 warnings? are they 10 years old out there?

the beauty of it is that it the rules being confusing and the umpires being incompetent are not mutually exclusive. Which is how you get the Leigh fishers of this world.

There is no coincidence that now Andrew and Laura (who both have no clue about AFL) and all of a sudden the game is Getting worse by the week

Now we cant talk about it, instead of both of them nuffies or the AFL being proactive and improving the game

Its actually immature, let's shut down any conversation and ignore the reality of the situation, I mean our umpiring is in its golden age.

My gosh this is going to get way worse hahaha

what's the problem?
It’s not a problem it’s just stupid.

The rule is no third player up.

It doesn’t need nomination.

Just let the adults who know the rules play the game and if they infringe penalise them.

It Is officiousness for the sake of it.

Andrew Dillon grab on 3LO this afternoon... We are in a golden era regarding the umpires. It has never been better.
I think he was talking about showers.

Again, highlights the haves and have nots in the AFL.

Compare the pair.

If it wasn't for some media disbelief at the unpaid Scott 50, no way Laura Kane comes out with an explanation, however unconvincing it was.

NMFC would have got donuts otherwise.

Because the "unfortunate events" affects one of the big 4, Essendon didn't even need to pick up the phone.

Brad Scott got a call and an apology from the Bighouse as quick as Menzie headed for that goal line.

Pathetic how obvious it is.
I said the exact same thing in a water cooler conversation yesterday. Brad gets a call and we get diddly squat. Double standards everywhere.

Corporate "leaders" are all the same. Personal KPIs based on profits will always override the common good.
Self interest.

It tries the hardest.

And taking people for a ride asking them to basically suspend belief.

**** me.

Once again you guys copped the rough end of the green today. Being a mutual observer, as I barrack for both the Suns and the Kangas, that is a non-biased view. I find it interesting that Laura Kane is on a 2 week holiday in Ibiza in the middle of the season. Don’t ask me how I know, but it’s a long story.

Now let me tell you the story:

Myself and Long D Silva - the guy off Strava with my KOM’s - were out on a spin around the island of Ibiza as I gather quotes for my possible/pending transition. Now LDS (no relation to LDU), being well endowed, hadn’t realised his old fella had slid from beneath his lycra and was brushing his chain. Thankfully, I was able to bring it to his attention before he had a mechanical. Needless to say though, he was a little shaken up. But thankfully, a Good Samaritan by the name of Laura, stopped to render assistance with a puncture repair kit. Once we scrubbed the grease off it though (which obviously came with its own risks), it looked brand new. She whacked a couple of butterfly clips on it to immobilise it, and to her credit, she didn’t flinch. I was able to nurse LDS home as he sat in my slick stream, but he is now laying prostate in his hotel room watching The Leyland Brothers reruns. And I don’t think that's very fair.

Once again you guys copped the rough end of the green today. Being a mutual observer, as I barrack for both the Suns and the Kangas, that is a non-biased view. I find it interesting that Laura Kane is on a 2 week holiday in Ibiza in the middle of the season. Don’t ask me how I know, but it’s a long story.

Now let me tell you the story:

Myself and Long D Silva - the guy off Strava with my KOM’s - were out on a spin around the island of Ibiza as I gather quotes for my possible/pending transition. Now LDS (no relation to LDU), being well endowed, hadn’t realised his old fella had slid from beneath his lycra and was brushing his chain. Thankfully, I was able to bring it to his attention before he had a mechanical. Needless to say though, he was a little shaken up. But thankfully, a Good Samaritan by the name of Laura, stopped to render assistance with a puncture repair kit. Once we scrubbed the grease off it though (which obviously came with its own risks), it looked brand new. She whacked a couple of butterfly clips on it to immobilise it, and to her credit, she didn’t flinch. I was able to nurse LDS home as he sat in my slick stream, but he is now laying prostate in his hotel room watching The Leyland Brothers reruns. And I don’t think that's very fair.
Stay safe Artie!

I admire what Laura has tried to do and reckon that it’s only the stubbornness of the AFL around conceding mistakes happen that has turned it into a debacle.

The major problem is 4 ground umpires lead to too many different opinions and interpretations on game day.

I think they should allow coaches to talk about and query/criticise individual decisions in the post match presser. Ideally an umpire be made available to talk through any controversial calls at the same time before it’s been filtered through the brains trust.

It would be messy at times but at least it would be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The run of play where GC dropped the ball cold in our forward line, cleared it and kicked it out on the full but a mark was paid and then scooped the ball inboard to a running teammate off of the next kick was peak officiating.

The run of play where GC dropped the ball cold in our forward line, cleared it and kicked it out on the full but a mark was paid and then scooped the ball inboard to a running teammate off of the next kick was peak officiating.
It was out on the full. No doubt.

Although I haven't seen a replay.

Just watched the last 1/3 of the game for the first time - that Moyle knee in Powell's back is something that should be looked at.

Moyle's raised knee wasn't for protection, or for the ride, looked designed only to hurt. Extremely dangerous given Powell was at full stretch and Moyle had a run up on him.

I specifically went caveman at this moment.

The solutions are as simple as ever. Make the umpires full time so that they are held to higher standards and it can be seen as an actual career path for prospects, and remove as much grey area and reliance on 'interpretation' from the rules as possible.

****, there's a lot of rule changes that would fundamentally change rucking, tackling, etc that I would accept if it meant the rules were a lot clearer and easier to consistently adjudicate.

Professional umpires would be best, but there's no incentive for either party, unfortunately. The AFL is happy cutting costs and the umpires would prefer to keep their cushy side gigs (which, if that article is correct, they don't need to put loads of effort into) to supplement their professional income.

Professional umpires would be best, but there's no incentive for either party, unfortunately. The AFL is happy cutting costs and the umpires would prefer to keep their cushy side gigs (which, if that article is correct, they don't need to put loads of effort into) to supplement their professional income.

Side gigs like match fixing? ;)

Victory Win GIF by DYD Sports & Betting Brand

Last edited:
The solutions are as simple as ever. Make the umpires full time so that they are held to higher standards and it can be seen as an actual career path for prospects, and remove as much grey area and reliance on 'interpretation' from the rules as possible.

****, there's a lot of rule changes that would fundamentally change rucking, tackling, etc that I would accept if it meant the rules were a lot clearer and easier to consistently adjudicate.

What do you suggest the umpires do from 9-5 every single Monday to Friday for 11 months a year if they went full time?

But your second point is spot on. Not many other sports would acknowledge that umpiring their game is bloody hard, and then seemingly go out of their way to make it harder.

Remove this Banner Ad

State of umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Back