Stenglein decides

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Braun would be alright. He's pretty much at his peak at the moment. Only thing I don't like is his height (or lack of it) and the fact that he's two years older than Stenglein.

theorangeapple said:
yeh i obviously knew about that. almost a similar scenario with stenglien, except its not for salery cap reasons but that he wants to go home. realistically, stenglien is out of contract, he can leave for nothing. u guys have less barganing power than u think. if he was under contract then yes you could demand alot, but he isnt and has declared he wants to go home.

Honestly,
I think we have plenty of bargaining power, as JR said two clubs want him. he has a preference, perhaps a strong preference. But if push comes to shove, and AFC & WC can't agree he has limited choices: go to melbourne via PS Draft, or move to Freo. At that point he goes to freo imo.

If 2 clubs with an antagonistic relationship like Freo & WC are after the player, a fair deal will be offered by one of them.

After the Nick Stevens incident I would expect his manager to be looking for some sort of assurance that WC were prepared to trade seriously for him.

WC & Freo for that matter usually get things done, and this will get done as well.

jmorg1 said:
I think Braun would be alright. He's pretty much at his peak at the moment. Only thing I don't like is his height (or lack of it) and the fact that he's two years older than Stenglein.

He'll be 27 by the start of next season. He's only 2 years younger than McLeod, Goodwin and Edwards. That hardly seems to fit with our desire to bring in replacements for those guys.

Stiffy_18 said:
Mate they can talk all they want but the fact remains that, last time Stinger was out of contract Adelaide had to fend off a really aggressive WC to keep Stinger and every year since then WC have approached Adelaide during the trade week asking if Stinger is possibly on the table.

WC have been "recruiting" Stinger since the beggining of the year and were not going to take no for an answer. What also helped them is Stinger's situation which is of personal nature and is teh primamry reason he is going back. I said here ages ago that WC have already had "feeler" conversations with AFC about Stinger. The club tried its best to keep him but for a number of personal reasons they couldn't.

WC want him and have wanted him for a long while now and no matter what their supporters say about him now, they will be bragging on about him next year. I am certain that we will get a good deal for him because history will suggest that AFC and WC get the trades done with minimum of fuss.

Now we can debate all we like what he is worth and what he is not. Some of our posters overrate him, the WC posters greatly underrate him. Clubs will most probably come up with a trade that is a win-win and I wouldn't be surprised if its the one of the first deals done during the trade week.
Everything Stiffy_18 said.

yeh, it was weird because it was almost as if they emphasised it or something...the intro into the stenglien leaving the crows began;

"the eagles wont trade young gun south australians beau waters or sam butler for tyson stenglien who has said he wants to join the eagles......then it went to the story".

i get the feeling the eagles are steaming over the thought of waters going home.

Jars458 said:
I think Braun for Stenglein would be more than fair. I rate him as a player.

Perhaps throw in a third round pick or someone such as Johnson as well and we have a deal.
The eagles have already used their third round pick with f/s for Mitch Morton so i does limit the deal if thats what adelaide want

Stiffy_18 said:
We traded Kane Johnson and picks 12, 28, and 44 to Richmond
We got Jason Torney and picks, 2, 18 and 32 from Richmond

We then on traded picks 2 and 18 to Kangaroos for Carey and drafted Jericho with pick 32
This is why we are all hurting with the big ouch!!:eek:

**** said:
He'll be 27 by the start of next season. He's only 2 years younger than McLeod, Goodwin and Edwards. That hardly seems to fit with our desire to bring in replacements for those guys.

Quite right. Braun will not be a consideration, for the very reasons you have listed, although he is currently enjoying a purple patch of form.

Jones is zero chance as well. He's just plain not fair compensation.

Adelaide will target their main need which is a young mid-fielder with the ability to go on with it when the big guns peter out in about 3 years time. That's why they will target Waters from WCE or Schammer from Freo.

Personally, I think Freo would trade Schammer for Stenglein, as they are desperate for a mid-fielder with accountability.

The competition will possibly force WCE to part with Waters.

Adelaide WILL play hard ball on this one after getting egg all over their face with the Carey trade. They have to, after alienating their supporters even further with the public perception of their handling of the coaching appointment.

They need an act of public redemption to regain credibility with their supporters.

theorangeapple said:
yeh, it was weird because it was almost as if they emphasised it or something...the intro into the stenglien leaving the crows began;

"the eagles wont trade young gun south australians beau waters or sam butler for tyson stenglien who has said he wants to join the eagles......then it went to the story".

i get the feeling the eagles are steaming over the thought of waters going home.

it was weird to come out with a statement like that first off. Surprised me a little. i thought it would be somewhere in the report towards the end but wasn't expecting them to say it so bluntly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more I think about it and after reading all the opinion on this thread and others on the same topic I feel that the AFC and WCFC will have difficulty coming to a direct agreement. I sense it could be Freo or some sort of a three-way deal.

OR NOTHING!

Why hasn't Dean Cox been discussed further as an option? Maybe Stenglein and a 2nd or 3rd for Big Dean? WC still have Gardiner, Seaby and Johnson - and accumulate another midfield gun...

The Sarge will lead the AFC into the new, er, decadium...

llosis said:
26 years old.
24/3/1978
Sorry, no dice. Too old.

The AFC is looking for young midfielders to fill the void that we 'missed out' on 2 years ago. Our midfield group have aged and there is no stand-out to fill that gap.

Craigs philosophy?? Fix the backline; build the engine again and and release the 'old boys' forward.;)

Glad to have young Waters aboard.;)

Bresh said:
Why hasn't Dean Cox been discussed further as an option? Maybe Stenglein and a 2nd or 3rd for Big Dean? WC still have Gardiner, Seaby and Johnson - and accumulate another midfield gun...

because he signed a contract with the eagles last week.....

jess-jess said:
because he signed a contract with the eagles last week.....
Well, that throws a spanner in the works doesn't it jessjess ;)

Mad Dog said:
Botton line...I can't see us getting a Cox/seaby/butler/waters..and I know we wouldnt settle for just Braun...so reality is that it will probably end up being a first round pick - unless theres some 3 way deal with another club
Actually I don't mind Braun as a player & reckon he under-rated. Probably wouldn't be willing to straight swap with Stinger, but could be evened up with fringe player or swap of draft picks (say our 3rd for their 2nd round).

theorangeapple said:
yeh i obviously knew about that. almost a similar scenario with stenglien, except its not for salery cap reasons but that he wants to go home. realistically, stenglien is out of contract, he can leave for nothing. u guys have less barganing power than u think. if he was under contract then yes you could demand alot, but he isnt and has declared he wants to go home.
Surely you don't believe that. C'mon, history will tell you that in situations like Stenglein's a fair trade is reached between both parties 99% of the time. What happened last year with Nick Stevens and Jade Rawlings happens once every blue moon

Remove this Banner Ad

Stenglein decides

Remove this Banner Ad

Back