Toast Steve Johnson- Overtakes Brownless and becomes 3rd most prolific Cats goalkicker

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't know how I missed posting this last week because I've had my eye on this potential milestone of Stevie's for a few weeks now.

Steve Johnson is ONE GOAL behind Billy Brownless in Geelong's all-time goal kicking champion table. He currently sits on 440 career goals, with Billy on 441. Stevie will have taken around 50 more games to equal BB's total, if he does indeed do that this weekend, but he's had a fantastic few years playing as a midfielder, so perhaps that is as good an excuse as any!

Apparently SJ has been giving BB a bit of stick as this milestone approaches, and there was a recent tweet from SJ to the AFL footy show to warn BB that he was almost there.
"@ AFLFootyShow I'm not counting... BUT I think I'm only 1 behind FAT. #chompiscoming"

Billy got his own back though as, on the Sunday Footy Show yesterday, he highlighted all of Stevie's missed attempts in Saturday's Bulldogs game. :D

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2015-07-20/taylor-on-sunday-footy-show

Harry Taylor said that SJ just reminded him in the recovery spa the previous evening that he, SJ, is the number 1 player in the comp for goal assists. Ever! Billy said SJ had also told him that fact the previous night at the LOTI. :D

I don't know how I missed posting this last week because I've had my eye on this potential milestone of Stevie's for a few weeks now.

Steve Johnson is ONE GOAL behind Billy Brownless in Geelong's all-time goal kicking champion table. He currently sits on 440 career goals, with Billy on 441. Stevie will have taken around 50 more games to equal BB's total, if he does indeed do that this weekend, but he's had a fantastic few years playing as a midfielder, so perhaps that is as good an excuse as any!

Apparently SJ has been giving BB a bit of stick as this milestone approaches, and there was a recent tweet from SJ to the AFL footy show to warn BB that he was almost there.
"@ AFLFootyShow I'm not counting... BUT I think I'm only 1 behind FAT. #chompiscoming"

Billy got his own back though as, on the Sunday Footy Show yesterday, he highlighted all of Stevie's missed attempts in Saturday's Bulldogs game. :D

Harry Taylor said that SJ just reminded him in the recovery spa the previous evening that he, SJ, is the number 1 player in the comp for goal assists. Ever! Billy said SJ had also told him that fact the previous night at the LOTI. :D

Have you got the numbers for his goal assists and where others rank?

One of the worst passages of play I've seen.

Good teams don't do that.
If he'd taken one or two steps less, he'd have kicked that. It was a tremendous effort by Crameri to reach it and another it, too. 9.5 times out of 10, we'd have nailed that.
Kersto did the right thing by dishing it off to SJ, as well- it was definitely kickable.

Kersten's handball cost that goal as much as anything.
Do you think that was a bad error, CE? I can imagine SJ would've been demanding it as he "raced" past, Kersten would have looked, assessed, seen that SJ could've received the ball and kicked with his next step, as he was (IMO) far enough separated from his opponent. SJ took an extra couple of steps, just to make sure... and the rest is history.

Well yes, but SJ made just a mini-fumble, and that was enough delay to allow Crameri to get there.

Do you think that was a bad error, CE? I can imagine SJ would've been demanding it as he "raced" past, Kersten would have looked, assessed, seen that SJ could've received the ball and kicked with his next step, as he was (IMO) far enough separated from his opponent. SJ took an extra couple of steps, just to make sure... and the rest is history.
Handball just had to be goal side of SJ and it was a slam dunk.

SJ's error(s) consequential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is SJ the most underappreciated superstar of the last 20 years?

Absolute legend.
The problem, Hinkley29, is that Stevie J is not the Messiah. He's just a very naughty boy! ;)

He's certainly divided opinions, hasn't he? There are those that love him, those that hate his off-play actions, those that want to crucify him for those high-risk plays of his and those who absolutely love his uniqueness.

I must admit that I am eagerly anticipating his probable coaching career. Imagine all the high-risk moves he will make. ;) or is he willing to gamble with individual play but not willing to gamble with a team?

My money's on him being a gambler. :)

Can't be true. Being the professionals that Basil and Watson are it would have been mentioned during the game. If they new someone from the red team never washed his hat since he was 8, they'd be all over this!*.

*or maybe not, please check for sarcasm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Steve Johnson- Overtakes Brownless and becomes 3rd most prolific Cats goalkicker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back