Review Cats bounce the Roos by 40 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I still see MOC getting the nod as the sub for his versatility. In finals you want to be able to cover an injury. I don't see the club going for the "tactical sub" stuff or using the 23rd list spot to invest senior experience into a rookie.

Hes too out of form now.
At the start of the year i would have said yes but hes struggling in the 2s now (someone like knevitt is outperforming him) so it wont happen.
With a fully fit 22 it will push a few out-you will find the finals sub will probably be tuohy or rohan (could be bowes too due to versatility but his form should keep him in the 22).

BORIS332 iv been rooting for Hardie to get a game this year, and I honestly and still thought he should of got a chance to play , even at the time we lost all those games when our midfield was getting spanked... but unfortunately for you and myself Hardie won't get a game for Geelong this year and won't be on our list next season 😞
Given his VFL year he may well get picked up by another club anyway, and good on him.

8) This Cat has one hand on the Rising Star award

The Telstra AFL Rising Star award has become a race in two, with North's George Wardlaw and Geelong's Ollie Dempsey surging into favouritism after front-runners Harley Reid and Sam Darcy were ruled out with suspension. But after facing off on Saturday, Dempsey might have nudged ahead in the battle for the title with a standout performance that included three goals and seven score involvements from 18 disposals. His opportunistic forward craft was on full display, snatching the ball out of Roo Aiden Corr's hands on the goal line to dribble through his first major for the day, before kicking a brilliant mid-air goal from nothing for his second. Nick Watson, Caleb Windsor, Darcy Wilson and Colby McKercher, among others, are in the mix for the award, but the high-flying Cat is going to be hard to stop from here. - Alison O'Connor

No question Mannagh is a good player but since he's been in Miers has put in his 2 worst performances for the year statistically with one of the 3 still being pretty good.

I think the reality is that by playing Mannagh you get the same thing Miers beings but maybe 50% more because you're playing 2 in the 1 role. So it’s a question of using that position to get another 50% of a type you like or 100% of some other structural option.

Bang on the door as much as you want I don't think it's that clear cut.
You think Miers output has diminished since Mannagh has been in the team?

19.5 disposals
0.5 goals
1 goal assist
6.3 score involvements

Are his averages over the past month. Brought down by the Bulldogs game where everyone was dreadful i.e you couldn't really read anything into it. Take that game out and Miers has gone at 21 disposals, 1 goal assist, 0.7 goals and 8 score involvements per game since Mannagh was integrated - which are right in line with his season averages (in fact for SIs it is higher).

You think Miers output has diminished since Mannagh has been in the team?

19.5 disposals
0.5 goals
1 goal assist
6.3 score involvements

Are his averages over the past month. Brought down by the Bulldogs game where everyone was dreadful i.e you couldn't really read anything into it. Take that game out and Miers has gone at 21 disposals, 1 goal assist, 0.7 goals and 8 score involvements per game since Mannagh was integrated - which are right in line with his season averages (in fact for SIs it is higher).
I dunno, I could be wrong but I think his impact isn't as high. This is more gut feel watching than measurement. I could be wrong

I dunno, I could be wrong but I think his impact isn't as high. This is more gut feel watching than measurement. I could be wrong
Ah fair enough, I was more looking at the statistical output element. The Dogs game that brought things down, I think he simply would've had a shocker with or without Mannagh.

From my perspective Miers dry spell was actually a little before Mannagh came into the side. Through our losing streak, more or less.

His impact from the last 2 seasons has definitely dropped off, not sure if thats just because of his positioning or if his GA numbers are down because our forwards have either dropped easy marks or butchered so many shots at goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His impact from the last 2 seasons has definitely dropped off, not sure if thats just because of his positioning or if his GA numbers are down because our forwards have either dropped easy marks or butchered so many shots at goal.

I think Miers isn’t particularly good in the wet which is part of it very recently (since Mannagh started getting games). I also think teams respect his impact now which might be another part. On the flip side I do think we are giving up a few too many kgs around the ball which is why Danger/Stewart are so important.

Unless the MC is absolutely moronic the chances they drop Mannagh are about 0 %.
And even if they did (which they wont) Tuohy cant play that role so in your scenario they would be dropping him for Rohan not for any of the players you mentioned.

As for the small defender we don't structurally need to cover that role, we have been covering it fine all year without Jed. Given Zuthrie can take smalls, Bowes or Holmes can both roll back as needed and Duncan will clearly be playing back half (as he lacks the speed for the midfield) the defence spots are already filled.

Neither Bews nor MOC will be in the finals side and Tuohy is 50/50.

Jed got the classical late year fill in game that guys like Dahlhaus and Higgins got in their last year, he's nowehere near the finals side.
Upcoming niggles and injuries will determine the finals squads.

The impact is spread across the team. When it’s only Miers playing that link up role, we become predictable and can be pressured into turnovers and get swamped with fast breaks.

This way, the middle ground attacking is very unpredictable, and it’s helping greatly. There will be games where Miers gets off the chain, but not so often. Likewise with our very potent forward line, Jez is kicking less goals, but we have others step up effortlessly to help kick a winning score.

The cats are average …no cups this year! … no more discussion….enjoy lads….
prob right on the overall outcome..

but you'll still jump in before the season's done for sure.

Go Catters

Ah cool, no more of a discussion that no one was having.

Cheers
still fond of laying the boots when it goes wrong... there'll be more before the season ends ... guaratneed to come back

GO CAtters

You absolutely can go into a final with those guys as your small defenders and we will. If we planned to use Bews we would have bought in him post bye to run that structure, we wouldnt have brought Humphries in ahead of him. It's clear what our strategy is even if it might fail.

As for Mannagh he's only at risk if they decide to play both OH and Rohan and it wont affect the small defender issue one iota (ie even if they dropped Mannagh they still wouldnt pick Bews anyway).
We're not there yet.

No doubt Wardlaw hard at it but he had a Disposal Effectiveness rating of 50%

He has no polish whatsoever. It might come with maturity and experience, but his game currently is predominantly him attacking the contest at 100KMH, and that is a great asset to have, don't get me wrong, but you want your mids generally to be able to hit a target.

Look, that might be his role in the end, winning it and distributing it to your better users - Sheezel for example. Speaking of, outside of him none of their midfield can use the ball. They are butchers.

He has no polish whatsoever. It might come with maturity and experience, but his game currently is predominantly him attacking the contest at 100KMH, and that is a great asset to have, don't get me wrong, but you want your mids generally to be able to hit a target.

Look, that might be his role in the end, winning it and distributing it to your better users - Sheezel for example. Speaking of, outside of him none of their midfield can use the ball. They are butchers.
Sheezel had 14 score involvements and North had 16 scoring shots. That is utterly insane. Their next best was Xerri, their ruck, with 8.
Our best was Miers with 8 from 26 scoring shots, then Cameron/OHenry/Dempsey with 7. They just don't have a good enough spread of contributors.

It basically means if we put a hard tag on Sheeze Nuts then they would have had absolutely nothing going forward.

As for polish, North having a few players going at 100% disposal efficiency because of safe sideways kicking but it hurts when they have guys like Wardlaw, who is "one for the future" kicking so poorly, Zurhaar who is their barometer going at 57%.
Contrast with Sheezel doing all the heavy lifting, going at 80% and 25 of his 36 disposals under pressure.
They have probably the best young forward in the comp and do him absolutely no favours by taking so long to get the ball there being indirect, and then butchering the ball on f50 entries if its not Sheezel with ball in hand.

Interesting that the coaches only agreed on 3 players - surely there's no arguments about Stewart & Sheezel

Then surely it's one of Dempsey or Stengle who got votes from both coaches, but curious how the other didn't

1722235418954.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats bounce the Roos by 40 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back