Steve Smith as Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

I hated that. No way should he talk like he did before he even spoke to Starc.
Why?

As soon as Smith said that it was over. No more media scrutiny, no more speculating what was happening behind closed doors, or what should happen. Dealt with, with a minimum of fuss.

Why?

As soon as Smith said that it was over. No more media scrutiny, no more speculating what was happening behind closed doors, or what should happen. Dealt with, with a minimum of fuss.
I just think no matter what the issue, big or small, you deal with it internally before speaking to the media.

Im sure starc knows the way the game works though, put out the media fires first then deal with the actual player, do it the other way around with the skipper dead batting the questions and you probably leave more of a mess for the young bowler to deal with as he has the media going right to him for their clickbait headline.

Last edited:
Australia will become known as the biggest bunch of flat track bullies while he is captain. He has no substance, and he has no business being Australian captain. Australian cricket is not in a good place if this is the best we have got.
Why will his captaincy determine whether or not we're "flat track bullies"?

What a weird scenario, if you had have said a few years ago that Smith would be our Test captain and best bat and Mitchell Starc our spearhead, I would have accused you of being quite stoned.

Smith's rise shocked us all. Didn't think he had it in him.

Starc always had the makings of a great bowler. Obviously not quite there yet but a guy who is;
  • Still 25yo
  • Swinging it at 150km/h
  • The worlds ODI MVP (ABDV aside perhaps)
  • Starting to get it together with the red ball
He has superstar written all over him.

I think he's doing alright. One thing I'll give him is he seems to have a grip on when to use the review system and when not to.

Yep, been very hesitant with the DRS which is a good thing. Seems to judge each appeal on its merits and not on the importance to the game (i.e. not blowing hail mary reviews on top batsmasn "just in case").

Personally, I'd like him not to display his disappointment with team mates when they make an error because that leaves him nowhere to go when he drops one himself.

Needs to work on this. Not a good look and something that he will almost certainly improve.

Smith's rise shocked us all. Didn't think he had it in him.

Starc always had the makings of a great bowler. Obviously not quite there yet but a guy who is;
  • Still 25yo
  • Swinging it at 150km/h
  • The worlds ODI MVP (ABDV aside perhaps)
  • Starting to get it together with the red ball
He has superstar written all over him.

Probably the key right there and the part that I missed, I thought we had another Nathan Bracken on our hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UAE was the deadest of dead tracks. He's our second batsman at the moment, but that doesn't mean he's not a flat track bully.

Look, I was as impressed as anyone by that ton in Hobart - but it remains the only time he's ever shown that kind of grit and application. After 4 or 5 years, it's time to stop hanging our hat on that innings.

UAE was a dead track which everyone else failed on..

Spin friendly pitches aren't 'dead pitches'.

Make what excuses you like, a good opener doesn't go to pieces on a lively pitch. Warner craps his pants as soon as the ball starts to seam or swing.

He will always be a second rate Hayden, and Hayden was a second rate opener.

Remove this Banner Ad

Steve Smith as Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back