News Stevo's Draft Selections - Carlton Pick 12 - Daniel Talia

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 11, 2007
History above all others
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers
HERALD Sun football writer Mark Stevens examines the AFL's draft picks, team by team and lists his first-round predictions. STEVO'S FIRST-ROUND PREDICTIONS

1 Melb Jack Trengove

2 Melb Tom Scully

3 Rich Dustin Martin

4 Frem Anthony Morabito

5 NM Ben Cunnington

6 Syd Gary Rohan

7 WC Lewis Jetta

8 Port John Butcher

9 Port Jake Melsham

10 Ess Andrew Moore

11 Melb Aaron Black

12 Carl Daniel Talia

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mark-stevenss-draft-predictions/story-e6frf9jf-1225794866053

[YOUTUBE]Xv8PN_msTcw[/YOUTUBE]

They have him listed as a CHB, but he looks very mobile, and for Waite like.

He looks like a long term prospect from that video. I wouldn't expect anything from him in 2010 or 2011.

He looks like a Waite/bower, but thats the U18s, he would probably be closer to a Garlett if he were in the big league.

Everyone on our board has wanted him for ages and he could potenially be a gun 2/3 tall in the forward line with Hendolenko and krooooooz.

A perfect selection from a "needs" basis IMO.

I'm not sold from that video, looks like a good athlete but not big enough for a KPP.

Also turns the ball over alot, has a high ball drop when he kicks and the kicks that went to his team mates were more his team mates running well to position.

Seemed to panic a little bit with handball under pressure.

But hey I'm just playing devils advocate because I think we need to improve on our footskills out of the backline, especially from kickouts!

I'm not sold from that video, looks like a good athlete but not big enough for a KPP.

Also turns the ball over alot, has a high ball drop when he kicks and the kicks that went to his team mates were more his team mates running well to position.

Seemed to panic a little bit with handball under pressure.

But hey I'm just playing devils advocate because I think we need to improve on our footskills out of the backline, especially from kickouts!

He is 195cm so i'm not sure why that isnt big enough for a potential KPP :S

Taller than Pav/Reiwoldt...just needs time to fill out over the next 3-4 years! You'd have to be wary of Melbourne still maybe taking Talia over Black in the draft as they will take 1 tall surely!

He looks like a Waite/bower, but thats the U18s, he would probably be closer to a Garlett if he were in the big league.

:eek::eek::eek:

The guy is 195cms and has the frame of an absolute beast. sure he has the ability to play small and hit the packs but he can easily be the monster type defender or FF. If you see him up close he is already a big unit with more muscle than any of the other tall metro players. He looks skinny now but once he fills out he will be a certain member of a teams spine for years, not just a small forward or third tall.

The guy is 195cms and has the frame of an absolute beast. sure he has the ability to play small and hit the packs but he can easily be the monster type defender or FF. If you see him up close he is already a big unit with more muscle than any of the other tall metro players. He looks skinny now but once he fills out he will be a certain member of a teams spine for years, not just a small forward or third tall.

Didn't realise he was that tall.

You are clearly more in the know than I.

Would you be happy with Talila?

It sucks that we didn't get the Fev deal done first, Melbourne will no doubt be taking a tall one pick before us!

He looks fine in his own right but he is yet another floater type although probably potentially better than many that we already have.

Looks like a tall wingman at AFL level, to be honest, but we won't have the luxury of putting him there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^^^^The same was said a few years back of Kepler Bradley when he was drafted :eek:

Hopefully Talia turns out a bit better!

Didn't realise he was that tall.

You are clearly more in the know than I.

Would you be happy with Talila?

It sucks that we didn't get the Fev deal done first, Melbourne will no doubt be taking a tall one pick before us!

i would be stoked but i think he will probably be gone by the time we have a pick.
didnt mean to sound like some sort of authority on the draft, i just saw alot of Talia for Vic Metro this year. Hopefully he lasts though, because he is fast, athletic, tall and strong and will be a gun KPP IMO. He is far more athletic and probably a better mark than Hurley, the top defender from last years pool, and his kicking is good but probably let down by decision making.
In short, i think that Talia is that other Jarrad Waite that we have needed for so long, but thats just my opinion.

He is 195cm so i'm not sure why that isnt big enough for a potential KPP :S

Taller than Pav/Reiwoldt...just needs time to fill out over the next 3-4 years! You'd have to be wary of Melbourne still maybe taking Talia over Black in the draft as they will take 1 tall surely!

Didn't realise he was 195cm from that video, happy to be wrong about the KPP comment.

Still though did you watch his kicking and also disposal under pressure?? Wasn't great and we don't need more people missing targets out of the backline.

Not sure what else is in the draft but I don't see Talia as the solution to our problems, rather draft a Key Forward like Carlisle

539953.jpg

Looks like he'll develop into quite a decent unit!

There is a tremendous upside to the 17-year-old.
His versatility allows him to play defence, midfield and attack and his lightly built 194-centimetre frame will develop with time.

Talia was let off the leash in the last game of the national championships and produced a fine performance.

"Swinging from the back to the midfield really let me run and work hard," he said. "It was a real good opportunity to run off my man and get some kicks."

"I think I got a bit more of the ball when I was in the midfield so I was really happy to run the game out and do my best."

http://www.macedonrangestelegraph.c...howcase-effort-boosts-draft-hope/1566593.aspx

Sounds very Waite like :thumbsu:
Exciting prospect but i dont wanna get my hopes up.. anything can happen

But the mail is the Blues, who desperately need a tall defender, will pounce.

FFS...

What we desperately need is a developed tall defender, it's not like we don't have any! They are just still 20-23 and played <50 games. Drafting another shouldn't and won't be our priority.

There is a difference between having young tall defenders and none at all, but it seems only a few get it :confused:

Kane Lucas thanks. :thumbsu:

I'm guessing that Stevens has probably watched as many TAC Cup games as I have this year. ;) :)

Unless Stevens is a Carlton supporter, he couldn't tell his arse from our list.

It's the easy thing to pencil in Talia after we lost our last game due to Bradshaw and Brown kicking goals.

Yet we were without Waite, Austin and Jamison

All you have to be is tall to go Carlton in a phantom draft. :rolleyes:

You don't have to have more elite qualities than poor qualities and be a gun talent to be a player we need.

Jon Ralph's article article in the little paper is a cut and paste job of an Emma Quayle article on GC17's 17 year olds.

:thumbsdown:

If Carlton were lucky enough to have a choice of Lucas, Talia and Tapscott it would be a line- ball decision, Lucas looks ready to go and will be a quality player, Tapscott is very impressive his skills are exceptional and Talia although may need some development, will be a quality tall defender in Sam Fisher mode.

l don't believe we would be disappointed with any of these three if we landed one of them.
l would rank these three in front of Moore, Black, Melshaw and Jetta, however we will see what happens, as Port & Melbourne & Essendon hold the cards as to who remains for us to select.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Stevo's Draft Selections - Carlton Pick 12 - Daniel Talia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back