News Stevo's Draft Selections - Carlton Pick 12 - Daniel Talia

Remove this Banner Ad

Icke is quoted in that article as saying we will pick the best available players with picks 12 and 43.

Considering we've lost a forward, why wouldn't we draft a replacement and pick Andrew Moore instead of Black?

As much as you want a tall forward, a medium marking half forward is another position that we need to be fill.

Andrew Moore or Brad Sheppard would be a better fit for Carlton than Talia because they address another pressing need.

Moore looks fearless like Robinson and a better contested mark than Panos and Black.

AM isn't far off them for size with his brother the Richmond tall defender who has played on Fevola.

Drafting a Max Rooke wouldn't hurt.

Sheppard's pace and run would be dynamite on a wing and off half back on our home ground.

If you're picking from players with just as much skill, but more pace, run and versatility, Tapscott's body type doesn't really appeal and lend itself to modern and hard running football. Rich and Ziebell can obviously play and kick, but Yarran, Hill and Hartlett are very good kicks and better athletes.

You're thinking pre-season draft, dude.

Thanks mate, I knew it didnt look right. Had a major drama with our plumbing last night, ended up with a dude crawling around under my house yelling commands up at me, flush dunny number 1, empty bath, empty laundry tub, flush upstairs dunny.. I finally got to bed at 4:00 this morning. I dont think my brain is functional today :eek:

I'm not sold from that video, looks like a good athlete but not big enough for a KPP.

Also turns the ball over alot, has a high ball drop when he kicks and the kicks that went to his team mates were more his team mates running well to position.

Seemed to panic a little bit with handball under pressure.

But hey I'm just playing devils advocate because I think we need to improve on our footskills out of the backline, especially from kickouts!

Gotta agree with you there knackers, That video is pretty average at best. His kicking style is suspect, his handballing style is not that great. Doesn't have that great a presence and some of his kicking was just kick and hope. Multiply that by ten and you have afl, so i would say he is a fair way from playing afl yet. I personally wouldn't be upset if we don't pick him. On the othe rhand I would love to see black picked up by us, Great below his knees, takes a strong mark and kicks on both feet, quick and more presence.That's only going by the videos i have seen.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50939/aaron+black+highlights/default.aspx#VideoPlayerB

Kane Lucas thanks. :thumbsu:

I'm guessing that Stevens has probably watched as many TAC Cup games as I have this year. ;) :)

Unless Stevens is a Carlton supporter, he couldn't tell his arse from our list.

It's the easy thing to pencil in Talia after we lost our last game due to Bradshaw and Brown kicking goals.

Yet we were without Waite, Austin and Jamison

All you have to be is tall to go Carlton in a phantom draft. :rolleyes:

You don't have to have more elite qualities than poor qualities and be a gun talent to be a player we need.

Jon Ralph's article article in the little paper is a cut and paste job of an Emma Quayle article on GC17's 17 year olds.

:thumbsdown:

Weren't you on the Tapscott bandwagon not long ago?

If so, what made you change your mind?

Weren't you on the Tapscott bandwagon not long ago?

If so, what made you change your mind?
I'm on the bandwagon of anyone who can play and offer something to our 22.

I don't have favourites.

I would like all of them in Navy Blue.

Supporters get too attached to the big names and a type of players because they want to fill a need.

We need a good footballer, not a good KPP.

If it's a weak draft, it's best to pick the best available and back yourself in to find a good player. There is no need to draft for need if it's a reach and the KPP aren't as talented as the mids.

Especially after we signed Henderson who is said to be better and harder than any KPP in this draft.

Andrew Moore looks the goods TG. Got some class about him.
And he's a very good athlete.

Versatile midfielder/forward who is very capable overhead. Wins his own footy consistently and makes good decisions. Vic Metro U18 representative in 2009. Topped the running vertical jump with 85cm at Draft Camp. 2.97secs for 20m and 14.1 beep test all very impressive performances. Averaged 20 disposals at 74% efficiency for the Eastern Ranges this year. From Yarra Valley Grammar.
If Moore doesn't get past Essendon and Melbourne, we should still get a good player.

Essendon and Melbourne might want a marking half forward.

I'd like Lucas, Sheppard or Melksham ahead of Black.

We'd take the best kick and the player who is harder at the ball if they're hard to split.

Is Black fast enough and more a third tall than a KPF?

In principle, I can see the case for taking a KPP. But I just don't see it with Talia and I'd be stunned if we took him.

Why would we draft another (primarily) defender who wants to play like a midfielder? What exactly would he bring that we don't already have in Bower, Waite, Austin, and even Henderson (who has arguably proven himself in the backline at AFL level).

And for the people saying he'll be better than Hurley, it's not all about swooping on the lose ball, taking marks in space and putting on the odd running spoil. Where in that highlights package does he use his body to win a one-on-one contest in the back fifty? You know ... the sort of thing you would actually want a 195cm KP defender to do at AFL level? Hell where does he even have an opponent in the entire 6mins of footage?

I hope Port takes him and leaves Butcher to the Dees. Black will be a much better fit for us IMO and if the draft pans out as Stevens suggests I think we'll rue giving Pick 11 to the Dees.

Moore looks incredibly impressive there. Around what pick do you expect him to go? Would pick 12 be jumping the gun in terms of his rating overall by other clubs?

Agreed. First time I've seen footage of Moore and I like what I see. Imagine a guy who can mark like that playing around Henderson, Kreuzer, and Yarran in the future. With Betts and Garlett at his feet.

Stevens has him going to Essendon at 10. I'd be disappointed if that was the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way i see it is that at Pick 12 there will be a combination of great midfield/HFF talent available to us. Lewis Jetta, Jake Melksham, Kane Lucas, Luke Tapscott and Andrew Moore. Not all of these players will be a available but a few will.

I've got a few questions about them...

Luke Tapscott - He's been likened to Paul Chapman, a midfielder-cum-HFF who has an accurate booming kick. I'd like to know what his pace is like and would he get a game in front of Rhys O'Keeffe?

Andrew Moore - What's his kicking for goal and in general play like?

Kane Lucas - What current AFL player(s) could he be compared to?

I live overseas so i can only guage by the vidoes i can find on the net, but looking at the Moore video he is no better that Talia, infact i think Talia is a better prospect, but for those who have followed it a bit more will have knowledge and insight to them both.

Also he is a Moore, and his brother is no good, lets be honest, hope his brother doesn't turn out that same, unless Essendon pick him up :D

Moore video
[YOUTUBE]05rTW6nUIIM[/YOUTUBE]

Moore looks incredibly impressive there. Around what pick do you expect him to go? Would pick 12 be jumping the gun in terms of his rating overall by other clubs?
You should ask Splengilli and Cruiser that question. ;)

Here's some more video footage of Moore.

http://rangesfc.matchvision.com.au/video/?video=271

http://www.afldraftinfo.com/2009/10/andrew-moore-eastern-rangesvic-metro.html

Isn't a good kick on his left and a bit patchy on his right, yet I like the run down tackles, hardness and second efforts more than anything.

AM will at least lock the ball in.

Laid a nice bump on a defender, before diving on the ball and jumping up to snap the goal.

Nice :footy:. :)

The real question is .. if Kane Lucas/Kobi Stevens makes it to #12 ... despite his "best available" policy .. will Wayne Hughes look to selecte them over Black/Talia (which ever is still around after Melbourne at #11?.

Thanks Splendini, how does the kid go, in the vids i seen he seems to be a link up runner through the wings, must be ok to be getting a run in the championships.

He's a little goer, coragoues, great endurance, runs all day and runs to the right places.....evidenced by winning a lot of the footy....his kicking is ok without being elite....has a few aspects of his game that need work but deifinitely one to keep an eye on next year.

Andrew Gaff
Get Gaff...

13191-1925.gif

Gaff_Cover_b.jpg

I'm not sold from that video, looks like a good athlete but not big enough for a KPP.

Also turns the ball over alot, has a high ball drop when he kicks and the kicks that went to his team mates were more his team mates running well to position.

Seemed to panic a little bit with handball under pressure.

But hey I'm just playing devils advocate because I think we need to improve on our footskills out of the backline, especially from kickouts!

were we just watching the same video?
He looked great imo, gets back on his mark quickly, didnt panic under pressure, and he didnt seem to mind hitting a target either, he reminds me of Brendon Goddard, plays like a quarter back

Remove this Banner Ad

News Stevo's Draft Selections - Carlton Pick 12 - Daniel Talia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back