Play Nice Still no evidence against Melbourne re: tanking

Remove this Banner Ad

You are wrong on almost every count. If the AFL thought it "unthinkable" as you say (which I disagree with) they were more gullible and naive than Chamberlain was when he declared "peace in our time".

Check out the Chicago black socks. Almost 100 years ago, and deliberately throwing games is still remembered with shame.

If you'd abandon your club for doing what they believed was in their long term best interests and best chance to work towards a premiership it doesn't really show much support.

I don't support cheats. If your morals allow you to, that's your problem.

Check out the Chicago black socks. Almost 100 years ago, and deliberately throwing games is still remembered with shame.

Black Sox and that's because it was match-fixing for money, and it was the first major time it had happened in pro sports, and it was the players.

You say tacit approval, I say the didn't believe it was happening because they considered it unthinkable that a club would deliberately loose a sporting contest.

McLean isn't the only reason you were investigated, there were suspicions and allegations before then. That was just the straw that broke the camels back. Other clubs have been investigated, briefly, and nothing was found, Melbourne was investigated, briefly, and enough was found to look further. You say easy target, I think it was that you were the worst at covering it up (possibly because there was a bigger group in on it and for longer, but it'd be impossible to say for sure).

And yes, if Richmond was found to have deliberately lost games, I'd expect us to be hauled over the coals too...I dare say I'd abandon the club because I'd be so ashamed of them.

This is simply not true and I'd ask you to provide a link that proves otherwise. The initial brief investigation into Melbourne came to nothing, as was the case for other clubs that were looked at. it was the McLean interview that prompted the full blown investigation we are witnessing. If you can't provide a link which backs up your claim I'll assume you're pedalling shit.

Whilst it doesn't surprise me to see a Richmond fan brashly talking about charging up the microwave if they were in a similar position, the fact is we haven't yet been found to have deliberately lost games.

All of a sudden the 2009 trade could look something like this:

IN: Cam Pederson

OUT: Brock McLean, Pick 56 (2012), 1st RD 2013, 2nd RD 2013.

You really think the fine was only because of late paperwork?

That's what it says in the article you linked and on SEN they were talking to some yank media personality over there at the time and he confirmed it.

So, on one hand I have the article you linked and Amercian journalists to believe or you...

hmmm, which to believe, what a dilemma

;)

So, the AFL treated you exactly the same way as they did everyone else for the first two times.

Then on the third time, they decided that when you roll it all together it was looking suss and dug further.

Yeah, clearly a conspiracy to get you. :rolleyes:

Roll what together? The current investigation is the only one we've seen to that extent, all because of the McLean interview. Of course the investigation team was ****ed right from the start because McLean immediately changed his tune, that's why they continually threatened everyone they interrogated. AA saw his chance to embarras Vlad, but it failed nad he ended up losing his job. There is no conspiracy.

I know you desperately want the MFC to be charged, but it's just not going to happen. Sorry chump

They seem to think we have forgotten the clapping opposition goals, the singing opposition songs, the boasting of "Yeh, so whatevs, we're getting Scully and Trengove, sucked in hahahahahaha"

I'm guessing you weren't one of the melbourne supporters bragging that his team was tanking?

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/im-proud-that-my-club-is-tanking.615370/page-11#post-26315960

Gotta love people who quote things without reading them.

I've just spent the last couple of minutes going through that thread, the only Melbourne supporter who said he was proud was BBP who created the thread. The vast majority said the exact opposite.

Of course a troll never lets reality get in the way of a good troll :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They seem to think we have forgotten the clapping opposition goals, the singing opposition songs, the boasting of "Yeh, so whatevs, we're getting Scully and Trengove, sucked in hahahahahaha"

That's complete and utter crap. Don't create something in your mind and claim it as reality. I went to some of those games and nothing like that happened at all.

You are full of shite

You really should stop listening to the little voices in your head

I thought it was a pretty reasonable conclusion.

You palmed off a perfectly good player in Mclean, had you kept him, you would've won enough games to forfeit a Priority. Hence, you never would've been accused of cheating, ahem, tanking. Him putting you in it on national television was really just drawing attention to a whole concept that would've been avoided had you hung on to him.

I stand by the trade.
OUT: Mclean
IN: World of PAIN

I thought it was a pretty reasonable conclusion.

You palmed off a perfectly good player in Mclean, had you kept him, you would've won enough games to forfeit a Priority. Hence, you never would've been accused of cheating, ahem, tanking. Him putting you in it on national television was really just drawing attention to a whole concept that would've been avoided had you hung on to him.

I stand by the trade.
OUT: Mclean
IN: World of PAIN

Here's another one who's going to be upset when we don't get charged :)

That's what it says in the article you linked and on SEN they were talking to some yank media personality over there at the time and he confirmed it.

So, on one hand I have the article you linked and Amercian journalists to believe or you...

hmmm, which to believe, what a dilemma

;)

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8692304/san-antonio-spurs-sit-4-top-5-scorers-vs-miami-heat

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/30/san-antonio-spurs-nba-sanctions-heat

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/11/30/spurs-fined-250000/

“The result here is dictated by the totality of the facts in this case. The Spurs decided to make four of their top players unavailable for an early-season game that was the team’s only regular-season visit to Miami. The team also did this without informing the Heat, the media, or the league office in a timely way. Under these circumstances, I have concluded that the Spurs did a disservice to the league and our fans.
You think fining the Spurs a quarter of a million dollars was only because of late lodgement of paperwork? The commissioner himself expressed extreme displeasure at them making four of their players unavailable.

I like how you dismiss something as readily as this, but easily buy into the AA failed leadership coup talk as well.

Here's a statement from my original article too:

In a statement, the NBA said the Spurs' action violated league policy "against resting players in manner contrary to the best interests of the NBA."
You talk complete rubbish.

That wasn't for tanking per se, that was more for giving an "F you" to Stern for their schedule by resting their players in a prime time nationally broadcast match. Interestingly the Spurs almost won that game, would have been interesting if they did.

sounds similar to me melbourne almost won the game too....but hey its all hypothetical,, btw only 12 pages to go

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8692304/san-antonio-spurs-sit-4-top-5-scorers-vs-miami-heat

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/30/san-antonio-spurs-nba-sanctions-heat

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/11/30/spurs-fined-250000/

You think fining the Spurs a quarter of a million dollars was only because of late lodgement of paperwork? The commissioner himself expressed extreme displeasure at them making four of their players unavailable.

I like how you dismiss something as readily as this, but easily buy into the AA failed leadership coup talk as well.

Here's a statement from my original article too:

You talk complete rubbish.

I stand by what I heard from experts from the states, they were fined because they pulled the players without telling the league, FFS it's even in the part you just quoted

I stand by what I heard from experts from the states, they were fined because they pulled the players without telling the league, FFS it's even in the part you just quoted

Notice how it says 'also'? What about the reason stated before that sentence?

Notice also what the NBA's statement contained in that last quote?

I'll stand by what reputable news organisations and the NBA and David Stern himself says and back them in over the SEN expert you heard on the radio.

Do you seriously believe that the $250,000 fine was only because of slow paperwork? I find that really interesting.

Notice how it says 'also'? What about the reason stated before that sentence?

Notice also what the NBA's statement contained in that last quote?

I'll stand by what reputable news organisations and the NBA and David Stern himself says and back them in over the SEN expert you heard on the radio.

Do you seriously believe that the $250,000 fine was only because of slow paperwork? I find that really interesting.

We know that they didn't charge them only for resting them, thanks for pointing that out, saves me the trouble of quoting it.

Interesting if true, especially if it is true as claimed that the AFL has vision of Schwabb berating players after a win. That all adds up to a world of pain for the Dees.

Those pesky cameras in the dressing rooms, just ask cuz and richo

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Still no evidence against Melbourne re: tanking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back