Play Nice Still no evidence against Melbourne re: tanking

Remove this Banner Ad

Accepting a $500,000 fine with no resistance is an admission of guilt.

No it's not. Would have been more expensive and more detrimental to the club to take it to court and drag it out. Connolly and Bailey were silly, they get suspended which doesn't hurt us and we pay the fine and move on.

Doesn't matter to me. That's what they have claim to have found and I'll go with it.

Is it safe to assume that you're happy to go with the distinction between what Connolly and Bailey have been found guilty of, and what Melbourne have been found guilty of?

So if you were pulled over by a booze bus, breathalyzed and blew way under the legal limit would you accept a loss of licence and a fine? You don't get fined half a mill for doing nothing wrong.

There needs to be a massive clean out at AFL headquarters.

You sound unhappy with the result, i'm sure in time you'll learn to live with it

Is it safe to assume that you're happy to go with the distinction between what Connolly and Bailey have been found guilty of, and what Melbourne have been found guilty of?

What have they been found guilty of? From listening to GM and AD it appears that they weren't found guilty of tanking, they specificially said that Bailey was cleared of any match day tanking.

It's a bloody mess

What have they been found guilty of? From listening to GM and AD it appears that they weren't found guilty of tanking, they specificially said that Bailey was cleared of any match day tanking.

It's a bloody mess

'Prejudicial to the interests of the AFL'.

I didn't mention tanking.

All we have had this week is a series of laughable articles from such literary luminaries as Caroline Wilson, Jon Ralph, Jay Clark, Mark Robinson and other battlers that struggle to string two words together.

All they have given us is crap articles filled with blatant lies, smut and innuendo, quotes from bitter ex players that prove nothing, unnamed sources, vague unproven quotes, unsubstantiated claims, blatant lies, laughable speculation and pure hyperbole.

Show us a paper trail. Show us emails that prove Melbourne threw games.

Show us proof. Show us evidence.

Oh wait - there is none, and there never will be.

Playing players out of position is part of footy. Changing tactics midway through a season is something every coach has a right to do. Putting players in for surgery early is smart, if your team is out of contention.

So to Caroline Wilson and the other media morons who are trying to milk this for all its worth and stick the boot into the MFC at every opportunity - show us something concrete, or please kindly **** off.

Until then, keep frothing at the mouth over this non-story.
Most accurate post of the thread :thumbsu:

'Prejudicial to the interests of the AFL'.

I didn't mention tanking.

I used that term deliberately because the reality of the situation is that is what they did, they AFL can sugar coat it all they want but that is what they're really guilty of. Everyone knows it.

Look, I'm happy that the club won't get any draft penalties however I fully acknowledge that the AFL have made absolute donkeys of themselves and have tried to squirm their way out of the situation to protect themselves (ie AD).

I used that term deliberately because the reality of the situation is that is what they did, they AFL can sugar coat it all they want but that is what they're really guilty of. Everyone knows it.

Look, I'm happy that the club won't get any draft penalties however I fully acknowledge that the AFL have made absolute donkeys of themselves and have tried to squirm their way out of the situation to protect themselves (ie AD).

I completely 110% f***ing agree. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your question was completely irrelevant and has nothing to do with this situation. What has drink driving got to do with this?

Are you joking? That wasn't the point at all. The point is that you are not going to cop a huge penalty when you have done nothing wrong. The AFL's claim that Melbourne are innocent makes no sense when they are being whacked with a $500,000 fine. What makes even less sense is that the Melbourne footy club aren't fighting it one bit. It's bad for their integrity and they seriously need the money.

Are you joking? That wasn't the point at all. The point is that you are not going to cop a huge penalty when you have done nothing wrong. The AFL's claim that Melbourne are innocent makes no sense when they are being whacked with a $500,000 fine. What makes even less sense is that the Melbourne footy club aren't fighting it one bit. It's bad for their integrity and they seriously need the money.

Here, read this article, perhaps this will help

MELBOURNE has been found not guilty of tanking after a forensic seven-month investigation by the AFL.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...-cop-suspensions/story-e6frf9jf-1226580877741

The ancient Spartans used to severely punish thieves who were caught. Not for thieving, but for allowing themselves to be caught.

Same with this. They're not being punished for tanking; they're being punished for allowing themselves to be seen to be tanking. Punished for embarrassing the AFL, and removing the last vestige of plausible deniability. What was the charge again? "Acting in a manner prejudicial to the interests of the AFL". Read between the lines...the punishment is for making Vlad and co out for the incompetent twats they are

So they didn't tank, because there is no concrete evidence of them deliberately losing games for a tangible reward, but somehow there IS evidence that they didn't try as hard as they could to win games, for a tangible reward...which is completely different to tanking. How about a half arsed verdict halfway between guilty and not guilty, guys, how does that work for you? Magical semantics! Case closed! Problem solved! Let's all move on!

Oh, to be there when Melbourne negotiated this deal. I smell the threat of litigation from Melbourne, while the AFL was desperately trying to make it go away while somehow maintaining the illusion of integrity. Too late, guys, the horse has bolted.

A monumental ****-up, an exercise in spin and political expedience, arse-covering of biblical proportions... whatever you want to call it, the elephant in the room is a fat one called Andrew Demetriou with his pants pulled down.

Court would probably cost more than that anyway. Why drag this through the mud for another season? We can find the money, I'm sure.

The ancient Spartans used to severely punish thieves who were caught. Not for thieving, but for allowing themselves to be caught.

Same with this. They're not being punished for tanking; they're being punished for allowing themselves to be seen to be tanking. Punished for embarrassing the AFL, and removing the last vestige of plausible deniability. What was the charge again? "Acting in a manner prejudicial to the interests of the AFL". Read between the lines...the punishment is for making Vlad and co out for the incompetent twats they are

So they didn't tank, because there is no concrete evidence of them deliberately losing games for a tangible reward, but somehow there IS evidence that they didn't try as hard as they could to win games, for a tangible reward...which is completely different to tanking. How about a half arsed verdict halfway between guilty and not guilty, guys, how does that work for you? Magical semantics! Case closed! Problem solved! Let's all move on!

Oh, to be there when Melbourne negotiated this deal. I smell the threat of litigation from Melbourne, while the AFL was desperately trying to make it go away while somehow maintaining the illusion of integrity. Too late, guys, the horse has bolted.

A monumental ****-up, an exercise in spin and political expedience, arse-covering of biblical proportions... whatever you want to call it, the elephant in the room is a fat one called Andrew Demetriou with his pants pulled down.

This man has nailed it.

Close the thread.. The historically accurate summary for everyone is right here.

Too true. That is why the mouthpieces of Melbourne's evidence against them are being punished. Bailey should have said he felt no pressure from above to manipulate results and Connolly shouldn't have said that poor joke (probably) out loud at the meeting.
But they did and the AFL must punish them for providing evidence enough that warranted an investigation.

As if I HAVE to answer your question, pull your finger out of your arse if you have such an inflated opinion of your own ego.

You're a tool. You have posted in this thread numerous times defending Melbourne. But you don't want to answer my question because you don't like the answer.

I'm a supporter of the lenient penalty, if not the way it was arrived at. Doesn't change my belief that Melbourne, and other clubs, tanked. Today served as an unnecessary coda to that unfortunate stain on the game's history, The Tanking Era.

i chose a great thread title didnt i?

it will be relevant forever

Still no evidence after all this time

Melbourne didnt tank. Case closed.

Have a nice day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Still no evidence against Melbourne re: tanking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back