Play Nice Still no evidence against Melbourne re: tanking

Remove this Banner Ad

Need I point out:

1. NAB Cup is not the AFL Home and Away season. That is the first major difference.
2. Effectively every club is doing what St. Kilda is doing this NAB Cup. Melbourne were likely the only if not a select few to have allegedly been involved in tanking at all, let alone in that given season.

I could go on forever to point out the differences between allegedly tanking in the AFL season for better and priority draft picks, and as Watters said himself using the NAB cup for player development and then by extension being uncompetitive in the competition.

If I were a Melbourne supporter, I would take the fact that we tanked on the chin, say "it was a calculated risk and a rule that had to be broken" and hope that we could rebuild for a future. You can't fix the problem until you accept it.

And the double standards continue...

1. So because a team is not playing for points it makes a difference, does it? Or does that only apply when there is a PP incentive?
2. The "because everyone else is doing it" excuse is aparently null and void when it comes to tanking. St Kilda is effectively doing the same thing as Melbourne, by "developing" players, etc and the coach not playing on his merits.

I wont cop anything on the chin, because in the end if this goes to court, it will end embarrassingly for the AFL. The whole scandal has been a farce.

And the double standards continue...

1. So because a team is not playing for points it makes a difference, does it? Or does that only apply when there is a PP incentive?
2. The "because everyone else is doing it" excuse is aparently null and void when it comes to tanking. St Kilda is effectively doing the same thing as Melbourne, by "developing" players, etc and the coach not playing on his merits.

I wont cop anything on the chin, because in the end if this goes to court, it will end embarrassingly for the AFL. The whole scandal has been a farce.
If it goes to court everyone loses Syrus, except the lawyers.

I can accept that we tanked and see the reasoning for it, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. That being said there are a lot of parties to be blamed when it comes to tanking being apart of the competition.
This is the reasoning I would like to see. I am not one for punishing Melbourne harshly for a various factors, one being the AFL are idiotic for letting the opportunity present itself happen but also for a lot of other reasons. But surely Melbourne supporters should be saying "yes we tanked, we unfortunately got caught, lets move on", as opposed to the constant bashing of the often repeted lines of the justification and/or irrelevant comparisons and/or chronic denial. If I were a Melbourne supporter the thing I would be most upset about is how careless or otherwise that Melbourne managed to let this information leak. Either Melbourne were the only club in the history of our game to tank or other clubs were a whole lot better at covering up than they were.

There is a strong argument to make that the AFL would do well to spend a chunk of their considerable wealth in having their code rules completely re-drafted to remove the ludicrous amount of ambiguity that is being shown up in recent "scandals".

Whoever initially drew them up, reviewed them and passed them as feasible and workable needs a real kick up the clacker.

Assuming that the AFL does not like the ambiguity. It is not a bug but a design feature.

This is the reasoning I would like to see. I am not one for punishing Melbourne harshly for a various factors, one being the AFL are idiotic for letting the opportunity present itself happen but also for a lot of other reasons. But surely Melbourne supporters should be saying "yes we tanked, we unfortunately got caught, lets move on", as opposed to the constant bashing of the often repeted lines of the justification and/or irrelevant comparisons and/or chronic denial. If I were a Melbourne supporter the thing I would be most upset about is how careless or otherwise that Melbourne managed to let this information leak. Either Melbourne were the only club in the history of our game to tank or other clubs were a whole lot better at covering up than they were.

They were brazen. That is the telling difference here. Some of the Melbourne supporters reasoning is sickening.

They were brazen. That is the telling difference here. Some of the Melbourne supporters reasong is sickening.

So they should be punished because they were less subtle at it? Maybe there was simply more heat on the topic of tanking than when teams before them did it so it seemed like they were more brazen....

Most, when they post on our board, admit that we tanked - I mean, seriously, it was obvious.

You can't blame them for getting fired up by the complete idiots in this thread though.

Oh come on, Melbourne supporters can't honestly be using NAB cup games to justify/defend their tanking investigation ???

The NAB cup is DESIGNED to allow teams to PRACTICE team tactics and give their kids EXPOSURE to AFL match situations. That is why it is a PRACTICE MATCH competition, and anyone that bet's on NAB cup matches are total idiots .......... Most people going to a NAB cup match expect to see their young kids/fringe players fighting it out for a position in their best 22 come rd 1 of the h&a season, and their senior players getting some run in their legs and avoiding injuries. Coaches don't care about the NAB cup format, because it is considerably different to the h&a season (9 point goals anyone :oops:) and, in the past, would prefer to be knocked out early so they could play standard games again.

And lastly the NAB cup is used by the AFL to get some pre-comp publicity going for the h&a season.

Comparing NAB cup games and h&a season games just shows how weak Melbourne's stance is .........

Oh come on, Melbourne supporters can't honestly be using NAB cup games to justify/defend their tanking investigation ???

The NAB cup is DESIGNED to allow teams to PRACTICE team tactics and give their kids EXPOSURE to AFL match situations. That is why it is a PRACTICE MATCH competition, and anyone that bet's on NAB cup matches are total idiots .......... Most people going to a NAB cup match expect to see their young kids/fringe players fighting it out for a position in their best 22 come rd 1 of the h&a season, and their senior players getting some run in their legs and avoiding injuries. Coaches don't care about the NAB cup format, because it is considerably different to the h&a season (9 point goals anyone :oops:) and, in the past, would prefer to be knocked out early so they could play standard games again.

And lastly the NAB cup is used by the AFL to get some pre-comp publicity going for the h&a season.

Comparing NAB cup games and h&a season games just shows how weak Melbourne's stance is .........

Focussing on the fact that one or two supporters have compared NAB Cup and H&A games is a strawman which just demonstrates an intellectually hollow approach to the issue ...........

If the AFL wants to avoid, (yet another), potential world of pain, they would do well to ban gambling on the pre-season competition.

Which, of course, will never happen.

They cant ban gambling but they can certainly decline the betting agencies' advertising and sponsorship dollars.

Wont happen either.

If the AFL wants to avoid, (yet another), potential world of pain, they would do well to ban gambling on the pre-season competition.

Which, of course, will never happen.
Bugger that, just scrap the whole preseason competition, no-one cares about it, the clubs find it a pain in the backside, replace it instead with 3 or 4 practice matches which are for nothing but pride and then straight into the season proper like every other sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bugger that, just scrap the whole preseason competition, no-one cares about it, the clubs find it a pain in the backside, replace it instead with 3 or 4 practice matches which are for nothing but pride and then straight into the season proper like every other sport.

$$$ is the prime reason why the NAB Cup still continues. It's a stupid competition but it won't be going away in the foreseeable future.

Back on topic, though, why am I not surprised that some Melbourne supporters used Watters' comments on the NAB Cup and compared it to Melbourne's tanking during the season proper?

Hey mate, just a word of warning, I suggest you may want to edit your post and add Brisbane into your comment or else the Brisbane nuffy brigade will soon be attacking you

Do you call any poster/s that disagree with you *insert club here* nuffy/nuffies?

Although, I've liked the AFL's approach to this year - with quite a few games being held in regional areas.

$$$ is the prime reason why the NAB Cup still continues. It's a stupid competition but it won't be going away in the foreseeable future.

Back on topic, though, why am I not surprised that some Melbourne supporters used Watters' comments on the NAB Cup and compared it to Melbourne's tanking during the season proper?

If its not shown on FTA the $$$$ will quickly dwindle

Have I called you a nuffy?

Wasn't referring to me in particular, I just found it slightly amusing that you used the terms Freo nuffies in the other thread along with Brisbane nuffies here.

If its not shown on FTA the $$$$ will quickly dwindle

I imagine there's some kind of arrangement to ensure continual FTA broadcast of the NAB Cup. Even blind Freddy (to use that popular term) could see that there is much less integrity in the NAB Cup compared to the actual AFL home and away season and that without FTA broadcast it would be nothing more than a trial comp to whet the appetites of starving AFL fans.

Go one step better and quote Paul Roos, he openly said he couldn't care less about the preseason competition and would never field his strongest side in it because it was a practice match to try out kids and new game plans = Tanking

So why are all the games on Foxtel??:confused:

Sorry, I misspoke. Dunno why I included FTA twice in that last post.

Losing the battle to win the war.

Different battles. The AFL approves of not caring for one battle as much as the other battle. Also, like it or not, there is a relevant and significant distinction between the goals of a NAB Cup match and the goals of a home and away regular season match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Still no evidence against Melbourne re: tanking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back