Stop showing instant replays during live action!

Remove this Banner Ad

Dave Grohl

Rookie
Oct 20, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Why does every TV station think that we prefer seeing action replays instead of live action? Personally I find this incredibly irritating. It’s not as if it’s a one off mistake; they do it several times a quarter, and while sometimes it may be a sideways kick in defence, it’s often a goal or mark inside 50 that is not seen because they’re still showing replays of what happened earlier.

Personally I’d like to only see replays if there’s a break in play. If they underestimate the amount of time they have for a break in play, fine, but as soon as they see play is starting again, cut the replay short and go back to the live action, instead of cutting the live action short to show the replay. We shouldn’t miss a second of the live footage.

Given that this happens more than a dozen times per game, it’s obviously no mistake, so if I’m the only one who prefers to see the actual play ahead of a replay, then ok. I’ll continue to be annoyed, but I’ll wear it.

I want to know if people prefer the current broadcast style or agree with me? If you do, I urge you to complain to the AFL about it via email or phone. Personally I think it’s been going on far too long and is one of several problems with AFL broadcasting that needs to be addressed.

ditto.

and the commentators yapping about the future ,their past days etc or so called theories and meanwhile the game goes on and they IGNORE it .:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I agree whole-heartidely with the foo fighters front man.

Alternatively they could split the screen on one side showing the live action the other showing a replay, or maybe make a little box for the replay or something. That way everyone's a winner.

I really liked it in the Grand Final of 2008 how the screenshots kept cutting away to Tom Harley sitting in the rooms trying to do up his shoelaces while the play was STILL GOING!
It's even better that it made to the DVD of the game.....and the 'directors cut' that Channel 7 flogged off about for so long.

They have all these camera angles at their fingertips, yet somehow can't find the logic to put the periphery stuff in a little screen in the bottom corner and keep showing us the play.

I agree, and it's probably the one thing I'll give Seven the thumbs up for. They've demonstrated it fleetingly, but sometimes they pop up a little box in the bottom right hand corner of the screen - like when Hunt went down in the NAB cup grand final - to show viewers something else that's happening whilst still showing live play.

For instance on the weekend, Bazza tackled some guy holding the ball in the first quarter, they started to show a replay of it while the commentators said Goodes was kicking a goal. I mean, please! I'd rather watch Goodes kicking the goal...

Stephen Milne missed out on goal of the year in about 02 or 03 because Foxtel was showing a slow motion replay of a really blatantly obvious free kick while he kicked the goal.

Then they refused to show a replay of the goal.

You'll just have to take my work for it because there is no footage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stop showing instant replays during live action!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back