Storm 1999 vs Swans 2005

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
How does Melbourne's reaction to the Storm winning the 1999 NRL flag compare to how Sydney has embraced the Swans this week? From what I can tell Melbourne was relatively warm but without as much fanfare. It's hard for me to tell cos I was recovering that week from the Roos winning the flag, but I think Sydney has embraced to Swans much more readily.

Marstermind said:
How does Melbourne's reaction to the Storm winning the 1999 NRL flag compare to how Sydney has embraced the Swans this week? From what I can tell Melbourne was relatively warm but without as much fanfare. It's hard for me to tell cos I was recovering that week from the Roos winning the flag, but I think Sydney has embraced to Swans much more readily.

The Storm had been around for how long at that point? A handful of years. Compare this to 23 or so for the Swans.

Not even close but Sydney had a 20 year head start. I can't ever see a similar reaction to Strom winning, even after 20 years. Sydney can pull 70k at SA for a H&A but I couldn't see the Strom ever dragging 25k to a H&A match at the G and that's virtually in the middle of town.

Sydney have proven that they'll jump on board the swans. There are a quite a few parallels between 1996 in 2005, especially in the lead up to the grand final. A win has obviously kicked on into the next week.
Both 96 and 05, had 1 million plus viewers in Sydney. Both had front and back page spreads before the grand final.

The 05 version has obviously had the kick on of extensive media coverage all week culminating in the parade today.

While 96 might have been a novelty and garnered general acceptance, 05 has proven the enormity of the low level support Sydney has outside the 30,000 or so hard core fans.

The difference between Swans in 96 and storm of 99 was that the swans peaked soon after (revenue around $25m in 1998), and maintained it (Revenue in 2004 was $24m). Whereas everybody lost interest in the Storm 2 weeks later. The swans are likely to take another similar step up as in 1996, especially now they have a bigger stadium to full.

Marstermind said:
did you attend the joint tickertape parade where support was fairly even and some melbourne journos even said the storm jerseys outnumbered the roos jerseys?

I'd say the Storm won a flag too early. When you look at the Swans flag, things panned out beautifully, and was timed to perfection. Not only was there 23 years of history behind them, but the '96 Grand Final guaranteed wider awareness of the team. Then you had the finals appearances in 2003 which got the public's attention again, another finals campaign in 2004, before finally getting to the big one in 2005. They didn't just spring out of nowhere.

With the Storm, they had been around a year, people here did not know what the hell rugby league was, and it came as a surprise, and was pretty much a novelty. Sydney have had time to adjust to an unfamiliar sport, whereas Melb didnt

johnnyhoward said:
I'd say the Storm won a flag too early. When you look at the Swans flag, things panned out beautifully, and was timed to perfection. Not only was there 23 years of history behind them, but the '96 Grand Final guaranteed wider awareness of the team. Then you had the finals appearances in 2003 which got the public's attention again, another finals campaign in 2004, before finally getting to the big one in 2005. They didn't just spring out of nowhere.

With the Storm, they had been around a year, people here did not know what the hell rugby league was, and it came as a surprise, and was pretty much a novelty. Sydney have had time to adjust to an unfamiliar sport, whereas Melb didnt
yeah, well said.

also consider that the swans have had a rails run to the top with 2/3rds of the game cheering them home... whereas the storm won their premiership on exactly the same playing field as every other team despite their unique challenges in a hostile city.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

littleduck said:
did you attend the joint tickertape parade where support was fairly even and some melbourne journos even said the storm jerseys outnumbered the roos jerseys?

No, I didn't for the following reason. Did those Melbourne journos, on the unlikely presumption that they are correct, consider that the Roos fans, unlike the Storm fans, would've been to the game, been to the aftermatch and been to the Sunday at Arden St. and therefore didn't need feel as if they needed to attend a parade? Of course not.

littleduck said:
yeah, well said.

also consider that the swans have had a rails run to the top with 2/3rds of the game cheering them home... whereas the storm won their premiership on exactly the same playing field as every other team despite their unique challenges in a hostile city.

The Storm are a failed experiment.Time for a relocation to the Central Coast.

Marstermind said:
No, I didn't for the following reason. Did those Melbourne journos, on the unlikely presumption that they are correct, consider that the Roos fans, unlike the Storm fans, would've been to the game, been to the aftermatch and been to the Sunday at Arden St. and therefore didn't need feel as if they needed to attend a parade? Of course not.
i guess they were just commentating on who turned up to the parade... and not in the business of finding reasons why the fans were split evenly.

littleduck said:
i invite you to read a thread in the 'league' section called "$23 million over 3 yrs to be invested in Melbourne".

It is throwing good money after bad.
How many millions have they blown already to get an average crowd of 8000 after winning a grand final?

Barry Schneider said:
It is throwing good money after bad.
back the bread truck up a bit. its the first serious investment in melbourne and you're pooh poohing it before its happened.

How many millions have they blown already to get an average crowd of 8000 after winning a grand final?
not 1/10th as much as the AFL to get mid/high 20k averages.

Barry Schneider said:
The Storm are a failed experiment.Time for a relocation to the Central Coast.

Failed experiment ??? A premiership in our second year in a one-team city with a bunch of so-called rejects, misfits, no-hopers and hacks? Been competitive every season unlike the true failed experiments? (Adelaide, Western Reds) A Melbourne boy who knows what he's talking about?

Fool.

richmond_gunner said:
Failed experiment ??? A premiership in our second year in a one-team city with a bunch of so-called rejects, misfits, no-hopers and hacks? Been competitive every season unlike the true failed experiments? (Adelaide, Western Reds) A Melbourne boy who knows what he's talking about?

Fool.

That's my point.The team has been successful but no one gives a stuff.Go to the Central Coast where people actually follow the game passionately instead of blowing millions in a city where most people wouldn't know Matt Orford if he bit their nose off.That is why it is a failed experiment.The NRL should give the existing clubs more money to stop players going to England instead.

richmond_gunner said:

Fool.
Crowd and profile-wise it is struggling despite the premiership, which is a pity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Storm 1999 vs Swans 2005

Remove this Banner Ad

Back