Storm/NRL/News Ltd. sign contract to Stay in Melb......

Remove this Banner Ad

Ms.Storm

Premiership Player
Dec 29, 2000
The GraveYard Olympic Park.Melb.
Other Teams
Melb. Storm
:D :D

The best news I have had for ages......

The only time I did not listen to *AFL* Tonight with my *favourite* commentators Healy & Hookes and apparently Chris Johns was on for, yes wait......*a whole 15 minutes* and he confirmed that Storm/News Ltd. and NRL have signed a contract for 5 years for Storm to play in Melb......

Let's hope this keeps on happening every 5 years until I win Tattlotto and take over that club and we will be here FOREVER!

Originally posted by Ms.Storm

The best news I have had for ages......

The only time I did not listen to *AFL* Tonight with my *favourite* commentators Healy & Hookes and apparently Chris Johns was on for, yes wait......*a whole 15 minutes* and he confirmed that Storm/News Ltd. and NRL have signed a contract for 5 years for Storm to play in Melb......

Let's hope this keeps on happening every 5 years until I win Tattlotto and take over that club and we will be here FOREVER!

i heard that he was going to be on, so i tuned in via the webstream they've got, and yes, he was on for quite a while (7 minutes actually), but was cut in pieces by david hookes, who argued that melbourne would follow a rugby union team a lot more than a league team, he claimed that adelaide, perth and melbourne already have a domestic competition, and would follow a code with an international flavour. and used the adelaide rams as an example of a failed league attempt to buy into AFL heartland.

Chris Johns didnt do the code any favours, he seemed nervous and was frequently lost for words when hookesy posed a hypothetical. he didnt get much support from gerard healy either.
healy claimed that only expats were going to games, and johns really didnt dispute it, rather just avoided the comment.
Johns' argument revolved around the fact that the australian rugby league competition was better than any other league competition in the world, and if i was a typical melbournian, i would hardly be convinced by that argument as that really denegrates the international standing of the sport. the same could be said for the AFL, and at the moment, union.

Johns did quash the rumour that the storm will relocate from melbourne though.

Great Stuff

Fantastic news Ms. Storm! :cool: :cool: :) :)

Hopefully the Storm are here to stay. It seems that the NRL are willing to put some faith in the Storm. Let's hope they up the promotion of the code down there. Perhaps the first state of origin game could be played down there next year or something....

i reckon if the storm relocate, the NRL can forget about ever being a national competition. i reckon there should be 3 SOO's all going to extra time, one played in sydney, brisbane and melborne (though the decider player in either sydney or brizzie)
the 3rd SOO should not go to extra time if it is a dead rubber.

even though chris johns was at the height of the demolition during the super league era, i think he is actually doing the game some good now by persisting down there

Nicko...

Chris Johns wasn't nervous, but very very angry with Hookes....because just recently on Fox on Back Page, Hookes said that Storm were a failure in Melb. and that he wanted Union here, and when questioned about do they (3aw) ever talk about other sports than afl, Hookes admitted they had not spoken about the Storm for 8 weeks and the reply was that was it a Sports Show or an AFL Show.....

That's one of the reasons why Johns was angry, but also prior to Johns coming on the show, Hookes said he wanted the Storm out.

Lets face it these 2 so called *afl spruikers* (mind you I go to afl games so I am not bias) must be genuinely worried about any other sort of code encroaching on afl down here.....its the biggest joke in history here with the way afl is treated as if its God and so precious.....aren';t we allowed to know about other sports?

These 2 definately must get money under the table from the afl....just have too.!

Re: Re: Storm/NRL/News Ltd. sign contract to Stay in Melb......

Originally posted by nicko18

i heard that he was going to be on, so i tuned in via the webstream they've got, and yes, he was on for quite a while (7 minutes actually), but was cut in pieces by david hookes, who argued that melbourne would follow a rugby union team a lot more than a league team, he claimed that adelaide, perth and melbourne already have a domestic competition, and would follow a code with an international flavour. and used the adelaide rams as an example of a failed league attempt to buy into AFL heartland.

Chris Johns didnt do the code any favours, he seemed nervous and was frequently lost for words when hookesy posed a hypothetical. he didnt get much support from gerard healy either.
healy claimed that only expats were going to games, and johns really didnt dispute it, rather just avoided the comment.
Johns' argument revolved around the fact that the australian rugby league competition was better than any other league competition in the world, and if i was a typical melbournian, i would hardly be convinced by that argument as that really denegrates the international standing of the sport. the same could be said for the AFL, and at the moment, union.

Johns did quash the rumour that the storm will relocate from melbourne though.

Nicko,
Firstly, these 2 so called * Sports Experts* do a so called sports programme and *LET* afl dominate in its discussions....they DON'T let or give other footy codes including soccer and union any time whatsoever, because they know that the less talk about them, the less interest...and the more bagging they give soccer, league, union, etc. the more it stays in one brain.......that's how it works down here......I get so angry with them....they never encourage other talk....and use the excuse ratings would drop off by talking other football codes........well how about generating interest and not be so insular.....2gb and 2ue do it, and so do the sports stations in Canberra and Q'ld......these 2 stations and a couple in SA are in collaberation with the afl:rolleyes:

Secondly, believe me, if by chance Union got a hold here in Melb........Healy and Hookes would frown down on it also.....its in their nature to bag other than afl......they are like some of the people on the afl board saying that union would be more successful and is better, but once enough interest is generated in Union, they will bag it no end......same thing applies to soccer....even ythough 3aw gave some time to the Soccer WC...at every opportunity they bagged it to death....

If it wasn't for the fact that I listen so I know what they are saying I would NEVER EVER listen to the program again.....

Thank goodness for Ernie Sigley and Stan who give some time to the Storm. and league and union and soccer:D

Re: Re: Re: Storm/NRL/News Ltd. sign contract to Stay in Melb......

Nicko,
Firstly, these 2 so called * Sports Experts* do a so called sports programme and *LET* afl dominate in its discussions....they DON'T let or give other footy codes including soccer and union any time whatsoever, because they know that the less talk about them, the less interest...and the more bagging they give soccer, league, union, etc. the more it stays in one brain.......that's how it works down here......I get so angry with them....they never encourage other talk....and use the excuse ratings would drop off by talking other football codes........well how about generating interest and not be so insular.....2gb and 2ue do it, and so do the sports stations in Canberra and Q'ld......these 2 stations and a couple in SA are in collaberation with the afl:rolleyes:

Secondly, believe me, if by chance Union got a hold here in Melb........Healy and Hookes would frown down on it also.....its in their nature to bag other than afl......they are like some of the people on the afl board saying that union would be more successful and is better, but once enough interest is generated in Union, they will bag it no end......same thing applies to soccer....even ythough 3aw gave some time to the Soccer WC...at every opportunity they bagged it to death....

If it wasn't for the fact that I listen so I know what they are saying I would NEVER EVER listen to the program again.....

Thank goodness for Ernie Sigley and Stan who give some time to the Storm. and league and union and soccer:D

These 2 definately must get money under the table from the afl....just have too.!

if you dont like them, i really cant understand why you listen to them. vote with your feet and listen to another station. i think they have a point about having to heavily favour AFL in their sports show, it does keep ratings up, and a HUGE majority of callers ring and discuss AFL.

up here, 2UE and 2GB both run sports shows. around 1996 i remember 2GB started to talk about other sports besides league, and as a result made huge ground on the 6pm timeslot (2UE has always been in front, but by talking about AFL and Union, they picked up their ratings) 2UE realised this and so changed their sports show from talking league or something (its not what it was called, but something like that) to sports today. they had to in the end, it was the only way to gain the ratings that they lost.
these days both 2GB and 2UE talk about all sports, because they realise the demand is there.

in melbourne, if the demand from the listeners was enough to warrant sufficient air time for other codes, then they would be out of their mind only to concentrate on AFL. but obviously, the radio listeners only want AFL, with just snippets of other sports to keep them aware.

to suggest that the AFL is bribing the radio station is a serious allegation, we all know what happened with alan jones and john laws, i think your clutching at straws for reasons why they dont cover league, perhaps its just not followed down there?

and chris johns was very nervous, i listened to him, and i heard david hookes on fox sports. hookesy got away with heaps in that interview because johnsy didnt have any facts at hand, so couldnt dispute what he was saying. if he was interviewing me, i couldve thought of heaps of things to bring hooksey down, it was frustrating hearing him get away with such wild claims without johns rebutting.

Re: Re: Storm/NRL/News Ltd. sign contract to Stay in Melb......

he didnt get much support from gerard healy either.
healy claimed that only expats were going to games

What a load of rubbish!
What would Healy know....all afl hearsay...that one.
Of all the people I know who go to Storm games all are Victorian and only 1 ex-pat Kiwi....who's been in Melb. for years!
I would say that nearly half are Vics. and a very similar number also follow afl....

Healy wants to degrade league and its support here in Melb. at every opportunity.....he did have a hang up with league when he first went to Sydney to play with the Swans, because initially, they. the Swans, did get similar treatment to what Storm do here in Melbourne.....but one thing he deliberately forgets is that Storm have been far more successful than the Swans were in Sydney initially drawing only 3,000 games early in the piece....unlike the Storm....
Healy will never debate fairly (as a lot of afl people don't) on this whole issue....they are definately so protective of afl, or worried or something:rolleyes: I just can't work it out:p

Re: Re: Re: Re: Storm/NRL/News Ltd. sign contract to Stay in Melb......

if you dont like them, i really cant understand why you listen to them. vote with your feet and listen to another station. i think they have a point about having to heavily favour AFL in their sports show, it does keep ratings up, and a HUGE majority of callers ring and discuss AFL.

up here, 2UE and 2GB both run sports shows. around 1996 i remember 2GB started to talk about other sports besides league, and as a result made huge ground on the 6pm timeslot (2UE has always been in front, but by talking about AFL and Union, they picked up their ratings) 2UE realised this and so changed their sports show from talking league or something (its not what it was called, but something like that) to sports today. they had to in the end, it was the only way to gain the ratings that they lost.
these days both 2GB and 2UE talk about all sports, because they realise the demand is there.

in melbourne, if the demand from the listeners was enough to warrant sufficient air time for other codes, then they would be out of their mind only to concentrate on AFL. but obviously, the radio listeners only want AFL, with just snippets of other sports to keep them aware.

to suggest that the AFL is bribing the radio station is a serious allegation, we all know what happened with alan jones and john laws, i think your clutching at straws for reasons why they dont cover league, perhaps its just not followed down there?

and chris johns was very nervous, i listened to him, and i heard david hookes on fox sports. hookesy got away with heaps in that interview because johnsy didnt have any facts at hand, so couldnt dispute what he was saying. if he was interviewing me, i couldve thought of heaps of things to bring hooksey down, it was frustrating hearing him get away with such wild claims without johns rebutting.

Nicko,
You talk a lot of **** too!
Of course afl dominates here, but really how many people do really follow afl here as to how many really want to hear other codes as well.....
You have to live here to understand how they operate.

We have a rugby league team down here, as with a couple of soccer teams and basketball teams.....and 3aw don't want to know.......simple as that....

Yes, the afl are very protective of their code.....Demitriou admitted the other day, the same thing and admitted that the afl have paid $100,000's and thousands of dollars to the Telegraph in Sydney to get coverage of news on the swans over there.......so you don't think that they have a vested interest in 3aw to keep srpruiking up afl......its called lining your own pockets.

Yes, you are right I should not listen to 3aw, and I sometimes only tape it because they are so unfair to Storm/league and everything else......they admit to it......perhaps you should listen more and maybe you can make a stance about the Johns issue...you also forget they have a cut off button and if you are abusive or make too many good points they won't let you back on or keep you on hold, like I was for over 1/2 and hour............phone no. in Melb. is 9696 1278,... not sure if you can dial that from Sydney though!

Johns wants to keep on good terms with them...as you might have been able to detect from his early response!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Storm/NRL/News Ltd. sign contract to Stay in Melb......

Nicko,
You talk a lot of **** too!
Of course afl dominates here, but really how many people do really follow afl here as to how many really want to hear other codes as well.....
You have to live here to understand how they operate.

We have a rugby league team down here, as with a couple of soccer teams and basketball teams.....and 3aw don't want to know.......simple as that....

Yes, the afl are very protective of their code.....Demitriou admitted the other day, the same thing and admitted that the afl have paid $100,000's and thousands of dollars to the Telegraph in Sydney to get coverage of news on the swans over there.......so you don't think that they have a vested interest in 3aw to keep srpruiking up afl......its called lining your own pockets.

Yes, you are right I should not listen to 3aw, and I sometimes only tape it because they are so unfair to Storm/league and everything else......they admit to it......perhaps you should listen more and maybe you can make a stance about the Johns issue...you also forget they have a cut off button and if you are abusive or make too many good points they won't let you back on or keep you on hold, like I was for over 1/2 and hour............phone no. in Melb. is 9696 1278,... not sure if you can dial that from Sydney though!

Johns wants to keep on good terms with them...as you might have been able to detect from his early response!

i'd hate to think of the bill id rack up if i was on hold for half an hour calling std, but go to their webpage and see if the sports today hosts recieve money from the AFL rather than having a swipe at me next time
3AW are without doubt have the most successful sports show on weekdays, i think its no coincidence that it is heavily AFL orientated, the ratings and the volume of AFL talk go hand in hand.
fact: if the general people of melbourne didnt want to hear that much afl, and wanted other sports, they wouldnt listen to that show.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Storm/NRL/News Ltd. sign contract to Stay in Melb......

what was his early response, as i recall i remember him saying "i was extremely dissappointed with david's comments on fox sports" and that was the first thing he said

Nicko

I have finally worked you out...after such a long time....you should spend your time on the afl board........

I went to a heaps of Demons vs. Swans games in the late 80's and 90's and if there were more than 3 - 4,000 people at their games, I will bare my bum in Bourke St in Melb.....they used to drag us in the gate to get a crowd and for free.....those figures are somewhat rigged!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Nicko

I have finally worked you out...after such a long time....you should spend your time on the afl board........

I went to a heaps of Demons vs. Swans games in the late 80's and 90's and if there were more than 3 - 4,000 people at their games, I will bare my bum in Bourke St in Melb.....they used to drag us in the gate to get a crowd and for free.....those figures are somewhat rigged!

its unbelieveable the rose coloured galsses you wear. just because i have a go at the way the game is being run these days, why do you assume im an AFL supporter. you get so narky if someone says something not very nice about your precious sport. it is sickening. wake up to reality, you probably dont realise the problems because to melbournians, the game is certainly bigger than it was down there 7 years ago. and since you have not followed it for very long, you havent seen the halicon days, and thus are less aware of the slide

Nicho
But I do read rugby league boards and have read up a lot on league's past.

The superleague war has had a big dent in the game and it will take some time to get the supporters back on board, that's if they all ever do.

But going back to attendances at games....please post me av. attendance for the last 30 years (each yr) and then we can compare with the last couple of years....aAND Nicho pls. take into consideration that direct broadcasting of games on fta and pay-tv is also starting to take its toll on league and even the afl now..and it will continue to do so.

another death warrant for the game, extending melbourne's contract. what a **** poor crowd they got today, 7654!! that is just shameful, and to think that theyd want to retain such a crowd pulling club, despite recently winning a GF is quite beyond me.

i always wondered why they call it "atmosphere park" haha

holy ****, maybe these pathetic crowds arent restricted to melbourne. the bulldogs (which i understand are leading the competition) only had 7180 rock up. that is absolutely deplorable. there are schoolboy union matches that draw bigger crowd than this, this game is a disgace to this country, and is bringing down our sports loving image. A NATIONAL RUGBy LEAGUE??? more like A NATIONAL DISGRACE

I can see the reasoning behind it. With North Melbourne, St. Kilda and Western Bulldogs all in financial trouble there is a strong chance that at least one AFL team will die inside that time frame. If they do there is the possibility of Storm pickng up converts from angry disgruntled ex-AFL fans.

Originally posted by GH_
another death warrant for the game, extending melbourne's contract. what a **** poor crowd they got today, 7654!! that is just shameful, and to think that theyd want to retain such a crowd pulling club, despite recently winning a GF is quite beyond me.

i always wondered why they call it "atmosphere park" haha

Why don't you do your homework.....you idiot.!

Before you go on.....

Compare the facts and realise that the Storm are struggling with form/injuries on the ground at the moment and live on Ch.9 followed by 2 lives rugby league games into Melb . by Foxtell straight after.

If you think our crowd was poor which it was, and always has been for Sat. a/noons anyway.....then compare 2 of the biggest afl teams in Melb. on Friday Night Rich. vs. Carlton and only 30,000 went.......how poor is that....approx 1/5 of that ffigure went to rugby league......still not too bad.!

These teams have been here in Melb. for over 100 years and yet Storm are a foreign code to an afl bias state and have only been here going into its 5th year.

Have you any brains to work out these sorts of reasons:rolleyes:

Why don't you do your homework.....you idiot.!

Before you go on.....

Compare the facts and realise that the Storm are struggling with form/injuries on the ground at the moment and live on Ch.9 followed by 2 lives rugby league games into Melb . by Foxtell straight after.

If you think our crowd was poor which it was, and always has been for Sat. a/noons anyway.....then compare 2 of the biggest afl teams in Melb. on Friday Night Rich. vs. Carlton and only 30,000 went.......how poor is that....approx 1/5 of that ffigure went to rugby league......still not too bad.!

These teams have been here in Melb. for over 100 years and yet Storm are a foreign code to an afl bias state and have only been here going into its 5th year.

Have you any brains to work out these sorts of reasons:rolleyes:

The crowd was pathetic and so are the Storm.

League is on the downward slide while RU is truly on the rise.

League in Melbourne is a joke and to blame 3AW just shows how little you know about anything.

7600 people is just pathetic. Oh and BTW what were the ratings for the Storm match? If they won their time slot you have a point.

I would be interested to know.

JoffaBoy......You are the joke...not rugby league or the Storm.....I won't ever bother replying to your posts again...its just a waste of time and space.!

AND......as if the crowds in Melb. haven't dropped by over 10% either !!!.....AFL in Melb. is just lucky because they have Colonial Stadium with a roof, otherwise you would be looking at a drop of double that amount due TO OVEREXPOSURE OF AFL ON TV!

Think about it!!

JoffaBoy......You are the joke...not rugby league or the Storm.....I won't ever bother replying to your posts again...its just a waste of time and space.!

AND......as if the crowds in Melb. haven't dropped by over 10% either !!!.....AFL in Melb. is just lucky because they have Colonial Stadium with a roof, otherwise you would be looking at a drop of double that amount due TO OVEREXPOSURE OF AFL ON TV!

Think about it!!

and luckily the last 10 weekends in sydney have been bright and sunny

Remove this Banner Ad

Storm/NRL/News Ltd. sign contract to Stay in Melb......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back