Strategy and Tactics Timeline

Remove this Banner Ad

Zone setups from kick-ins should be added to this list somewhere, independent of full-ground zones. I'd take a stab at the year being some time in the mid nineties when it was a regular fixture of AFL games.

What? Tsunami football?
it's what Robert Walls called our gameplan at its peak.

For those saying that Geelong only refined that gameplan is rubbish. Geelong invented the handpass style of gameplan in the 60's when Polly played for us. That's why Lou Richards dubbed us as the handbaggers because we used more handball than what other VFL teams did by far. It became synonymous with Geelongs brand.

But what is often forgotten by the media but the acknowledged by the coaches themselves is that the defensive zoning/forward pressure became popular as it was seen as a way to stop Geelongs game plan. Geelong was the best team in the comp then and the gameplan evolved to try and stop us running the ball down the centre corridor with ease.

So much of this relies on execution.

I remember Hawthorn in 2009 (and to an extent 2010) try the forward press. Clear (bad) memories of the ball being clogged up in our forward line with guys like Benny McGlynn and Kennedy, Bateman, Osborne and Cambell Brown as a defensive forward working their arses off across half forward but not having the room to deliver to the forwards or kick goals. They also lacked the pure skill to be able to kick freak goals and put some scoreboard pressure on. Then we'd watch in horror as the opposition rebounded up the other end with ease and kick goals. There are lots of reasons we performed poorly that year, but a contributing factor was our inability to execute that game plan.

Collingwood were able to do it with a plethora of talented and in form HFF types: Didak, Daisy, Blair, Sidebottom, Krakouer. All these guys were contributing regularly. If Cloke kicked a bag it was a bonus.

So to me - it's not about who invents a tactic - it's about who masters it.

I think the Pies do need to get credit for the high rotations, even if Freo had bumped up their rotations before. The Pies clearly took it to another level, and were even drafting different sorts of athletes based on it. Malthouse also introduced the current style of playing up the wings so that you aren't opened up as easily on the turn over. I remember back in 2008 or so their fans complaining about it after us beating them, but obviously there was a lot of thought put in to it and it was a game style that was evolving.

I think the Pies do need to get credit for the high rotations, even if Freo had bumped up their rotations before. The Pies clearly took it to another level, and were even drafting different sorts of athletes based on it. Malthouse also introduced the current style of playing up the wings so that you aren't opened up as easily on the turn over. I remember back in 2008 or so their fans complaining about it after us beating them, but obviously there was a lot of thought put in to it and it was a game style that was evolving.

Malthouse said he got the idea from ice hockey, lots of short powerful burst play then mass subs.

I thought it might be interesting to compile a timeline of when different strategies, tactics and policies appeared in the AFL (and who introduced them). I'm not talking only about the successful ideas either. For example, I remember Hawthorn once playing two ruckmen at the centre bounces. I think it might have been around 1999 when Brett O'Farrell was playing.

Off the top of my head, this is all I can come up with:

* Forward press (Mick Malthouse)

* Clarko's cluster

* Cats introduce "tsumani" corridor football featuring prolific movement of ball at all costs

Early 2000s
* Recruiting athletes thinking that they could be turned into footballers (Haw)

* Playing two ruckmen at centre bounces (Ken Judge)

1998(?)
* Using Trent Ormond-Allen at centre bounce v Spider Everitt (Malcolm Blight)

* The flood (Rodney Eade)

90s (not sure when specifically)
* Using U-shaped forward line so forwards could lead into space (Sheedy)
* Pagan's paddock
* Misc unorthodox stuff that the Dockers did (can't remember exactly)

1980s
* The huddle (Robert Walls)

Can anyone add to/correct this?

Yes, SEE ABOVE

It's like fighting fire with fire....

Gerard Neesham's gamestyle in the early days at Fremantle was a 'chip and draw' style, high possession gameplan that would eventually be commonplace in the AFL. He was ahead of the curve in many ways, his tactics in the WAFL with Claremont were that sort of style, developed from Water Polo and helped them become dominant in the late 80s. But Fremantle in the mid 90s didn't have the players to successfully use it.
Chip and draw requires the chipping to be precise.

I reckon Hawthorn's current gameplan resembles Neesham's except Hawthorn went to the effort of recruiting players who can actually kick.

it's what Robert Walls called our gameplan at its peak.

For those saying that Geelong only refined that gameplan is rubbish. Geelong invented the handpass style of gameplan in the 60's when Polly played for us. That's why Lou Richards dubbed us as the handbaggers because we used more handball than what other VFL teams did by far. It became synonymous with Geelongs brand.

But what is often forgotten by the media but the acknowledged by the coaches themselves is that the defensive zoning/forward pressure became popular as it was seen as a way to stop Geelongs game plan. Geelong was the best team in the comp then and the gameplan evolved to try and stop us running the ball down the centre corridor with ease.

Geelong may have pioneered it in the VFL but it was a guy called Jack Oatey at the Sturt Football Club in the SANFL that developed the handball run gamestyle - led to them playing grand finals 1965-1970 for 5 flags

I thought it might be interesting to compile a timeline of when different strategies, tactics and policies appeared in the AFL (and who introduced them). I'm not talking only about the successful ideas either. For example, I remember Hawthorn once playing two ruckmen at the centre bounces. I think it might have been around 1999 when Brett O'Farrell was playing.

*Possession football (Hawthorn)

*Interchange madness

* 'Lyon Cage'

* Clarko's cluster

* Kamikaze Football (Geelong)

Mid 2000s
* Stoppage Football (Sydney)

Early 2000s
Note: They were correct, too... They just picked the wrong athletes.

1998(?)
* General wacky shit (Malcolm Blight)

* Pagan's paddock

1980s
* Death of the torp/dropkick

60s/70s
*Handball as an attacking weapon

Can anyone add to/correct this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*Possession football (Hawthorn)

*Interchange madness

* 'Lyon Cage'

* Clarko's cluster

* Kamikaze Football (Geelong)

Mid 2000s
* Stoppage Football (Sydney)

Early 2000s
Note: They were correct, too... They just picked the wrong athletes.

1998(?)
* General wacky shit (Malcolm Blight)

Mid 90s[?]
* I think Terry Wallace got credited with using impact players off the bench like NBA sixth men, although I think Geelong's Paul Lynch might have also been among the first to play that role.

* Pagan's paddock

1980s
* Death of the torp/dropkick

60s/70s
*Handball as an attacking weapon

*Forward Press (Malthouse Version) players would put a defensive zone on their forward line designed to keep the ball close to their forward line so they could kick goals from turnovers. The zone would roll out to the centre as well if the ball got past HF.

* Forward press (lyon version) similar to Clarko's cluster but added the factor of opposition players moving in on the ball carrier as a zone to put them under pressure and create turnovers. Mostly occurred in the midfield.

* Clarko's cluster - defensive zoning of the midfield to stop Geelongs run and carry game.

*Geelong's free running and play on at all costs using the centre corridor to deliver the ball to the forward line before opposition players could flood back and so kick goals. (dubbed Tsunami football by Robert walls).

Mid 2000's
*Flooding - Vlad criticised the Swans for this ugly style but it won them a flag

Early 2000s

*Forward Press (Malthouse Version) players would put a defensive zone on their forward line designed to keep the ball close to their forward line so they could kick goals from turnovers. The zone would roll out to the centre as well if the ball got past HF.

Also involved attacking along the boundary line as the safest strategy.

Who was it who came up with moving players away from set positions? Smells like a Parkin to me.

Geelong may have pioneered it in the VFL but it was a guy called Jack Oatey at the Sturt Football Club in the SANFL that developed the handball run gamestyle - led to them playing grand finals 1965-1970 for 5 flags

When did Oatey pioneer it? Polly Farmer arrived at Geelong in 61, I think.

It wasn't a flood, the tigers got in front and chipped the ball around backwards and sideways, denying Adelaide possesion. Terry Wallace copped a lot of flack for it the week after though.

He shouldn't have - the flak should have fallen upon Craig for not responding to the tactic for half a game.

Connolly introduced it for fremantle in 2006 and they dominated the back half of the season because of it resulting in their highest ever finishing position. It was not a collingwood introduction at all.

Connolly was certainly at the forefront of it - although I think the slight difference was the rotations were structured by the coaches - each player had a certain time period at which they came off and on.

The Malthouse variety was more player driven, with players just bringing themselves off.

It wasn't a flood, the tigers got in front and chipped the ball around backwards and sideways, denying Adelaide possesion. Terry Wallace copped a lot of flack for it the week after though.
Didn't Wallet do something similar at the Doggies when he inflicted Essendon's only loss for the 2000 season? Was right at the end of the year too, when Bomber fans were talking up Essendon gong undefeated. I remember Sheedy was fuming at his press conference and said something along the lines of "If people want to pay to watch that crap they can always go and watch basketball".

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy and Tactics Timeline

Remove this Banner Ad

Back