Opinion Stringer theory. NO ESSENDON SUPPORTERS.

Is the Stringer situation beyond repair? Now in its correct thread, even if nobody asked for it.

• The club clearly want him out the door.

Votes: 102 34.7%
  • This was just a shot across Jakes bow as a means of motivating him. He's going nowhere.

Votes: 49 16.7%
  • The club is clearly a rabble. Sack Macca!

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • This is just the first play in massive trade that we are not yet privy to.

Votes: 19 6.5%
  • This is a game of blink and Jake and Conners just blinked.

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Its time to move on a negotiate the best deal we can.

Votes: 36 12.2%
  • I felt sad for Jake on that stage with Conners pulling his strings.

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • To lose 1 CEO may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose 4 looks like carelessness.

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • The Jack 'Armageddon Option' Watts Option.

Votes: 12 4.1%
  • We've warned you about creating polls Norm! Yet for shame you persist.

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • You really don't create enough polls Norm.

Votes: 32 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two thoughts:

1: There is no correlation between success at the trade table and actual success. We overpaid so much for Tom Boyd at the trade table and we know how that worked out. High draft picks bust, mid range draft picks become Z.Merrett or Mclean or Daniel, sometimes you even uncover Dahl and JJ in the same rookie draft. Careers are ruined by attitudes and personal failings or are cut short by injury. What we actually receive for Stringer is almost inconsequential in many senses because we've already (currently) lost having 2015 Stringer in our forward line for the next 10 years. Chances are that a measly hit-or-miss draft pick won't ever provide compensation for our loss. What is more important and more crucial to success is attitude, culture and character, as evidenced by our Glorious Premiership and Richmond's triumph. If Stringer's presence is the antithesis of the attitude we need, we are better off losing him for nothing. Clubs lose great players for nothing all the time. It's a loss, but not a big loss in the grand scheme of things - Griffen, Libba's knee, going back the Hawks stuffed consecutive high picks on Ellis, Thorp and Dowler and still managed a dynasty when those guys should have been at their peak. What happens at the trade table can be an extension of culture - there's no point showing the 17 other clubs that we are open for business at any price that gets set.

2: If we wanted Stringer out at all costs, then Essendon boxed us in perfectly and we should have dealt early. The fact that we didn't deal means we are either genuinely happy to have him back, or we were bluffing. Either way you gotta cop the consequences of your decisions - if we were bluffing and we lost then so be in. I think it's time now to move on from trading with Essendon either way. If we were bluffing, we need to facilitate a trade with Geelong or another club, even if we have to sell him for unders. If we bluffed, Essendon called it. So we recoup whatever we can from this investment gone bad and work with Geelong for something as palatable as possible. Or, if we are actually not forcing Jake out at all costs, we need to accept that he's deflated his value to a point where we can't offload him and he's now worth basically nothing. We need to get cracking on welcoming him back and getting him on the right path. A path that would see us offering him a new contract at the end of 2018. That should be our goal.

We said we would only trade him if the deal was right. Sadly, the deal isn't right. If we were bluffing, we need to cop the consequences and throw ourselves and our resources into Jake's rehabilitation. If we really must get rid of him fire-sale style to preserve our culture and attitude, then so be it (shame about the failed bluff) and we get on the phone to Geelong.

Last edited:
Two thoughts:

1: There is no correlation between succeeding at actual trade deals and actual success. We overpaid so much for Tom Boyd at the trade table and we know how that worked out. High draft picks bust, mid range draft picks become Z.Merrett or Mclean or Daniel, sometimes you even uncover Dahl and JJ in the same rookie draft. Careers are ruined by attitudes and personal failings or are cut short by injury. What we actually receive for Stringer is almost consequential in many senses because we've already (currently) lost having 2015 Stringer in our forward line for the next 10 years. Chances are that a measly hit-or-miss draft pick won't ever provide compensation for our loss. What is more important and more crucial to success is attitude, culture and character, as evidenced by our Glorious Premiership and Richmond's triumph. If Stringer's presence is the antithesis of the attitude we need, we are better off losing him for nothing. Clubs lose great players for nothing all the time. It's a loss, but not a big loss in the grand scheme of things. What happens at the trade table can be an extension of culture - there's no point showing the 17 other clubs that we are open for business at any price that gets set.
2: If we wanted Stringer out at all costs, then Essendon boxed us in perfectly and we should have dealt early. The fact that we didn't deal means we are either genuinely happy to have him back, or we were bluffing. Either way you gotta cop the consequences of your decisions - if we were bluffing and we lost then so be in. I think it's time now to move on from trading with Essendon either way. If we were bluffing, we need to facilitate a trade with Geelong or another club, even if we have to sell him for unders. If we bluffed, Essendon called it. So we recoup whatever we can from this investment gone bad and work with Geelong for something as palatable as possible. Or, if we are actually not forcing Jake out at all costs, we need to accept that he's deflated his value to a point where we can't offload him and he's now worth basically nothing. We need to get cracking on welcoming him back and getting him on the right path. A path that would see us offering him a new contract at the end of 2018. That should be our goal.
We said we would only trade him if the deal was right. Sadly, the deal isn't right. If we were bluffing, we need to cop the consequences and throw ourselves and our resources into Jake's rehabilitation. If we really must get rid of him fire-sale style to preserve our culture and attitude, then so be it (shame about the failed bluff) and we get on the phone to Geelong.

Need a love button!

God this makes me happy. I can just picture dodo on the phone to j-mac:

Dodo - "I'm gunna trade 11 to GWS"

JM - "No problems"

D - "You sure?? As soon as I hang up, I'm trading 11. Then it's gone. Forever."

JM - "No worries. Fire away".

D - "I'm not joking. I'll do it. Don't think I'm bluffing. You'll regret it".

JM - "Sweet. Go for it".

D - "I'm hanging up now. Seriously. I'm juuuuuuuust about to hang up. Then I'm calling GWS"

JM - "Cool."

D - "Why don't I do a countdown. Just so theres no confusion. I'm hanging up in 10, 9, 8, 7.......don't make me do it J-Mac. 6, 5. Please J-mac, please! Don't be silly now. Come on. 4, 3.

CLICK

"J-mac??? J-mac???? Are you there??"

McCartney clearly has something up his sleeve. This is awesome.
Judging by the deal we got for Smith I think Dodoro sees enough left in our hand to get the deal done. Dogs baulked at what was a fairly reasonable offer. Now we see who blinks first.

Change of pace: with Stringer looking more and more likely to stay and Cloke and Boyd suffering mental illness (plus maybe Schache if he arrives, not that I want to give credence to useless bigfooty rumours) AND our team having the biggest case of the yips in the AFL... is it time we look at bringing in a sports psychologist, or improving our coverage in this area? I'm not implying we are better or worse than other clubs in this area or that the club is failing, but it is definitely an area that could be bolstered as we assist at least three of our players work through major issues. Love and support is great, but our boys need and deserve as much help as we can give them.

If we dont have a selection of sports psychologists available to players already I'd be stunned....

Two thoughts:

1: There is no correlation between succeeding at actual trade deals and actual success. We overpaid so much for Tom Boyd at the trade table and we know how that worked out. High draft picks bust, mid range draft picks become Z.Merrett or Mclean or Daniel, sometimes you even uncover Dahl and JJ in the same rookie draft. Careers are ruined by attitudes and personal failings or are cut short by injury. What we actually receive for Stringer is almost inconsequential in many senses because we've already (currently) lost having 2015 Stringer in our forward line for the next 10 years. Chances are that a measly hit-or-miss draft pick won't ever provide compensation for our loss. What is more important and more crucial to success is attitude, culture and character, as evidenced by our Glorious Premiership and Richmond's triumph. If Stringer's presence is the antithesis of the attitude we need, we are better off losing him for nothing. Clubs lose great players for nothing all the time. It's a loss, but not a big loss in the grand scheme of things - Griffen, Libba's knee, going back the Hawks stuffed consecutive high picks on Ellis, Thorp and Dowler and still managed a dynasty when those guys should have been at their peak. What happens at the trade table can be an extension of culture - there's no point showing the 17 other clubs that we are open for business at any price that gets set.

Good Post. But in future just put a space between those paragraphs so it isn't a big box of text, i had a little trouble following the lines lol

If we dont have a selection of sports psychologists available to players already I'd be stunned....
If we could afford a sports psychologist back in 1996 (features in the year of the dogs doco) when the offfield dept was probably made up of part-timers, we would hopefully have a few decent ones on the payroll now.

If we could afford a sports psychologist back in 1996 (features in the year of the dogs doco) when the offfield dept was probably made up of part-timers, we would hopefully have a few decent ones on the payroll now.
I assumed we must at least have someone, but it's surely an area which could use review and possible strengthening

My apologies. I had better yet only marginally more constructive things to do this afternoon. Ive now edited the title to a truer reflection of their recent behaviour on this board.
I see what you did there Norm. :thumbsu:

Leaves more to the imagination but it works for me. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why so touchy mate, it is a football forum, relax.
It is a football forum thread clearly labelled "hey Essendon peanuts! Stay the **** out of this discussion". Whether we're being touchy or not, that means you're not welcome here.

If you wish to discuss the stringer trade, I'd suggest the main board or the Essendon board.

Judging by the deal we got for Smith I think Dodoro sees enough left in our hand to get the deal done. Dogs baulked at what was a fairly reasonable offer. Now we see who blinks first.
What don't you understand about keep off our thread? See thread title.

Why so touchy mate, it is a football forum, relax.
Your one of a 100 or more Essendon buffoons who come to grace us with your best impersonation of The Dodo negotiating style.

You can imagine after a couple weeks of this - we are all doddod out.

Don't get me wrong the odd dodo performer is still mildly entertaining but to be frank most of them sound more like a bitter Cooney on crack.

To be fair your effort was better than most - the whole "who will blink first" had me reliving some forgotten mafia movie.

Give it another go and i will see if i can classify it a bit better.

I wouldn't take two second round picks this year personally for Stringer given we may only use two picks in this draft. But if we kept pick 26, we could easily still win the trade and package up a deal to move into the first round, with a team with multiple picks or a team seeking more who are looking at drafting a few kids yet. May not be the end of the world yet

But it is now more than likely than not we will walk away with no high pick or Stringer staying

For a long time we have been an easy touch at the trade table.

Regardless of the internal assessment of Jake Stringer, we should keep him. We have stated our position regarding his trade value. If no one is prepared to pay that price then we must not do the deal.

It could be argued that the reason that clubs are offering so little is that we have a history of caving in and accepting bad trades in the past. They expect us to keep making the same mistake, which we almost invariably do.

It is hard to put a price on the increase in credibility that we will gain from keeping Jake, but it would be significant and could pay off over multiple future trades.

How significant? Well consider that Jake is a proven match winner, and other clubs should be really be falling over each other to offer us their first picks plus extras to get such a rare commodity, but they are now offering us second rounders and many still believe/fear that we will accept.

That is the cost of a bad reputation.

Don’t get the angst towards opposition supporters - particularly where it’s just reverting to swearing and insults.

It’s a football forum. People make comments and you can comment on comments.

Just because they’re wildly different to your view on a topic doesn’t mean they wrong or insulting or being deliberately antagonistic it just means you disagree. So explain why or just ignore it.

Have fun everyone.

I realise how I can move up from this 'debutant' tag...Post frequent crap like the Essendon posters who keep coming on here...

Don’t get the angst towards opposition supporters - particularly where it’s just reverting to swearing and insults.

It’s a football forum. People make comments and you can comment on comments.

Just because they’re wildly different to your view on a topic doesn’t mean they wrong or insulting or being deliberately antagonistic it just means you disagree. So explain why or just ignore it.

Have fun everyone.
Main board is for that.. been their lately? It's a winner. lol

I had the page up here all day while working and seeing the trolling, or posting of a picture 50 times in a row, or main board trolling memes and so on, Igloo and Mofra and even Doss the Bombers own mod come here and cleaned one particular idiot up.

Norm didn't change the thread name on a whim.

I think if Jake’s traded it’s either for Ess first next year or not to Ess. He has a week to find another team.

Carlton (if they trade Gibbs), Saints & Roos would be my guesses as likely suitors.

Main board is for that.. been their lately? It's a winner. lol

I had the page up here all day while working and seeing the trolling, or posting of a picture 50 times in a row, or main board trolling memes and so on, Igloo and Mofra and even Doss the Bombers own mod come here and cleaned one particular idiot up.

Norm didn't change the thread name on a whim.

I agree with all that. There is a reason why the trolls were so active lately. If some clubs see the Dogs as a easy kill at the trade table some of their BF posters see us as a sure thing in the "I'll bite" department. Why some people respond to idiotic or obviously antagonistic posts submitted only to get a response amazes me. If you don't feed them they will die and go away. People encourage them so they keep coming back, sorry but it behoves me to point this out. (I use the traditional spelling not the Americanised "behooves". Personal preference.)

In all seriousness though, didn't the AFL website season review video of the Bulldogs recommend putting Stringer up for trade before we even came out publicly ourselves? If it wasn't for all his baggage, putting Stringer up for trade for the right price perhaps would have been considered a smart move...Any criticism of the Club publicly mentioning Stringer's baggage and damaging his trade value is unwarranted because clearly it was well known within Club AFL circles...Heck, people on here seem to know even more than what they're willing to post!

Similarly, any criticism of the Dog's asking price for Stringer because of his output over the last two years is also unwarranted. It's his potential that's driving his asking price. And if potential isn't worth trading for, then why the hell do we care about which picks we carry into the draft?

In summary, any player (except the Bont) is tradeable at the right price. If the right price doesn't come along, we retain the player. Baggage or not, we don't trade out potential for peanuts. If the potential is realised, we will come out on the right side of history. If the potential is unrealised, not to worry. Stringer was our least effective player in the Grand Final, and we still won. And what's to say that the pick that we get for Stringer (if the deal happens, which I don't think will) will end up being successful players and not a Jarrad Grant?

^^^^Bomber lurkers, take note.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back