Opinion Stringer theory. NO ESSENDON SUPPORTERS.

Is the Stringer situation beyond repair? Now in its correct thread, even if nobody asked for it.

• The club clearly want him out the door.

Votes: 102 34.7%
  • This was just a shot across Jakes bow as a means of motivating him. He's going nowhere.

Votes: 49 16.7%
  • The club is clearly a rabble. Sack Macca!

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • This is just the first play in massive trade that we are not yet privy to.

Votes: 19 6.5%
  • This is a game of blink and Jake and Conners just blinked.

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Its time to move on a negotiate the best deal we can.

Votes: 36 12.2%
  • I felt sad for Jake on that stage with Conners pulling his strings.

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • To lose 1 CEO may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose 4 looks like carelessness.

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • The Jack 'Armageddon Option' Watts Option.

Votes: 12 4.1%
  • We've warned you about creating polls Norm! Yet for shame you persist.

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • You really don't create enough polls Norm.

Votes: 32 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Stringer nominates a club and isn't open to any others and to many bridges have been burnt between him and the Bulldogs for him to stay and play, then what?
Its never too late, he wont sit out the year and we wont accept steak knives.
Whats the worse thing that could happen for us he plays most of the year at Footscray and we get the same steak knives next year or alternatively he mends his ways and earns back Bevos respect?

If Stringer nominates a club and isn't open to any others and to many bridges have been burnt between him and the Bulldogs for him to stay and play, then what?
A. If they make an acceptable offer the trade is done.
B. If they don't make an acceptable offer Stringer will need to re-visit his preferences. It didn't seem like a big obstacle to him the other day.
C. If neither A nor B work then Stringer and/or the club will need to learn how to swim.

If Stringer nominates a club and isn't open to any others and to many bridges have been burnt between the Bulldogs and Stringer for him to stay and play, then what?
Stringer is a contracted player. If we can't be satisfied in a trade, then Stringer either pulls his finger out and plays well for us (he is playing for his career,) or he spits the dummy and plays Nintendo all day (and in the process does further damage to his career prospects.)

If Stringer plays the 2018 season for us and then wants out he is still faced with the problem of needing a trade involving the Bulldogs accepting the trade terms, or he chances his arm via the Draft or Pre-season draft. It's a lottery then and he could literally end up anywhere - Brisbane, Fremantle, Gold Coast.... who knows?

I don't think Stringer has the luxury of just picking a club and sitting back expecting us to take whatever we can get from that club, especially if he has now decided that he can't return to the Bulldogs. The more Stringer wants out, the more accommodating to the Bulldogs trade requirements he must be. Hopefully we are not at that point though.

Last edited:

Stringer is a contracted player. If we can't be satisfied in a trade, then Stringer either pulls his finger out and plays well for us (he is playing for his career,) or he spits the dummy and plays Nintendo all day (and in the process does further damage to his career prospects.)

If Stringer plays the 2018 season for us and then wants out he is still faced with the problem of needing a trade involving the Bulldogs accepting the trade terms, or he chances his arm via the Draft or Pre-season draft. It's a lottery then and he could literally end up anywhere - Brisbane, Fremantle, Gold Coast.... who knows?

I don't think Stringer has the luxury of just picking a club and sitting back expecting us to take whatever we can get from that club, especially if he has now decided that he can't return to the Bulldogs. The more Stringer wants out, the more accommodating to the Bulldogs trade requirements he must be. Hopefully we are not at that point though.
So when he's out of contract at the end of 2018 he can't just take the best offer?

So when he's out of contract at the end of 2018 he can't just take the best offer?
No, in the past trading was almost entirely the domain of contracted players.
If he walks he either nominates for the national draft with a price on his head (a la Luke Ball) or heads to the PSD where he's no guarantee of staying in Melbourne.

sizedimage
Is that a laugh or a yawn?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I don't think there's any AFL-adjudicated compensation available to us. I thought if an OOC player didn't get traded they could just go to the draft.

Hmmmm. In a strong draft year (allegedly) that would be an interesting measure of Jake's worth.

Pretty sure he'd be gone by pick 5.

But we'd get nothing.
That's true but if a club wanted him and say they were not at the bottom then they will still need to trade, and given his situation with his kids he wouldn't want to risk going interstate in the draft.

Mofra has nailed it - players are on contract until the end of October in their final contract year, so they are still on contract during the trade period. If before the end of October they don't sign a new contract with either their old club, or a new club that they were traded to, that's when the player is free to walk from the old club and their old contract is fulfilled and ends. However, the player can't then just sign with whichever club they like, they have to enter the National Draft and/or the Pre-Season Draft.

I would just add to what Mofra said by pointing out that the National Draft is held before the Pre-Season Draft. Stringer can nominate the contract price and duration of contract he requires if he nominates for the National Draft, but once that is done he loses complete control over which team selects him. He could be drafted by Fremantle, Brisbane, Gold Coast or the Western Bulldogs even.

Neither of the draft options would guarantee that Stringer stays in Melbourne, so going down that route is a big risk and is rarely done by players for whom there will be a reasonable demand. In virtually all cases good players are traded before their contract expires so that the player and the intended destination club both have certainty that they get what they want and the old club also gets some compensation via the trade agreement.

I want Jake to be up every morning at an abattoir.

I want him tenderizing butchered beef carcasses with his fists - yelling " I'm going to kick 140 goals next season from the half back line"

I want him chasing a Chicken every morning, catching it and eating it whilst it's still alive.

I want him wrestling wild boars just for fun.

I want him to perfect marking a Sherrin with one hand and only two fingers

And Perfect kicking a goal from 65 meters from the boundary - blind folded - with a live rat trapped in his shorts.

By the time the 2018 season arrives - Jake need only look at the ball - and the ball will obey.

Mofra has nailed it - players are on contract until the end of October in their final contract year, so they are still on contract during the trade period. If before the end of October they don't sign a new contract with either their old club, or a new club that they were traded to, that's when the player is free to walk from the old club and their old contract is fulfilled and ends. However, the player can't then just sign with whichever club they like, they have to enter the National Draft and/or the Pre-Season Draft.

I would just add to what Mofra said by pointing out that the National Draft is held before the Pre-Season Draft. Stringer can nominate the contract price and duration of contract he requires if he nominates for the National Draft, but once that is done he loses complete control over which team selects him. He could be drafted by Fremantle, Brisbane, Gold Coast or the Western Bulldogs even.

Neither of the draft options would guarantee that Stringer stays in Melbourne, so going down that route is a big risk and is rarely done by players for whom there will be a reasonable demand. In virtually all cases good players are traded before their contract expires so that the player and the intended destination club both have certainty that they get what they want and the old club also gets some compensation via the trade agreement.
Just to add to this, if a player is not offered a contract by his club, (unlikely in Jakes case) he becomes a delisted free agent and can be picked up by anyone who wishes to sign him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want Jake to be up every morning at an abattoir.

I want him tenderizing butchered beef carcasses with his fists - yelling " I'm going to kick 140 goals next season from the half back line"

I want him chasing a Chicken every morning, catching it and eating it whilst it's still alive.

I want him wrestling wild boars just for fun.

I want him to perfect marking a Sherrin with one hand and only two fingers

And Perfect kicking a goal from 65 meters from the boundary - blind folded - with a live rat trapped in his shorts.

By the time the 2018 season arrives - Jake need only look at the ball - and the ball will obey.
Brilliant concept, but why the constant focus on chicken evisceration? Isn't goat blood more occult?

Damn straight! What sort of soft **** overcomes a horrific broken leg to get drafted top-5 en route to eventual All-Australian selection?

I've heard he sleeps with the lights on too.

Sad!
Hadn't heard that though it could conceivably result in him being too tired to rehabilitate effectively when injured or listen attentively.

Brilliant concept, but why the constant focus on chicken evisceration? Isn't goat blood more occult?

Even Minson could catch a goat
Chickens are elusive.

At night, once his girls are asleep -
I want him chasing ferral cats jumping neighbors fences.

We don't want people thinking he might be mad - we want them thinking he is totally ****en insane.

His got to have the biggest season in the history of AFL or any sport. Then when it comes to contract time he can stick it right up them.

From The Herald Sun

MORRIS: STRINGER ALWAYS WELCOME AT THE DOGS

IF not with the coach, Jake Stringer remains popular with the Western Bulldogs playing group.

After being told he was no longer wanted after a disappointing 2017 campaign, Stringer is looking for a new home.

However, if a deal can't be worked out with a rival club, Bulldogs veteran Dale Morris says the premiership forward will be welcomed back at Whitten Oval.

"It’s something that you’d have to ask Jake with how he’s feeling with the whole situation ... but if a deal wasn’t done and he was at the club next year, we would embrace him as the playing group and hold him in tight, because at the moment he’s still one of us," Morris told Fox Footy.

“He’s still contracted, he’s still a Bulldog. So we don’t see him on the outer, we don’t see him as a rival or anything like that — he’s a teammate.

“So we look after our teammates and at the moment he is still a teammate — that’s the way we look at him.”

Morris admitted that even he had been "intimidated" by his exit meeting with Beveridge and hinted that Stringer needed to do more to meet club standards.

“I think that goes for any player. Every player needs to live the standards and the expectations that we have at the football club and with the exit meetings, you leave exit meetings knowing where you stand and the things you did well, the things you need to improve on and what to look forward to next year,” he said.

‘So I left my exit meeting with ‘Bevo’ quite clear with what I needed to do and that’s what they’re designed for — so everyone’s exit meetings are different but they can be pretty intimidating.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back