Opinion Stringer theory. NO ESSENDON SUPPORTERS.

Is the Stringer situation beyond repair? Now in its correct thread, even if nobody asked for it.

• The club clearly want him out the door.

Votes: 102 34.7%
  • This was just a shot across Jakes bow as a means of motivating him. He's going nowhere.

Votes: 49 16.7%
  • The club is clearly a rabble. Sack Macca!

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • This is just the first play in massive trade that we are not yet privy to.

Votes: 19 6.5%
  • This is a game of blink and Jake and Conners just blinked.

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Its time to move on a negotiate the best deal we can.

Votes: 36 12.2%
  • I felt sad for Jake on that stage with Conners pulling his strings.

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • To lose 1 CEO may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose 4 looks like carelessness.

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • The Jack 'Armageddon Option' Watts Option.

Votes: 12 4.1%
  • We've warned you about creating polls Norm! Yet for shame you persist.

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • You really don't create enough polls Norm.

Votes: 32 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

there was a segment on the local radio station up here just now. Barrett, Liam Pickering and Doctor Turf discussing the Stringer situation. All agreed the club had handled the situation badly, had successfully talked down his value and the Jake would not be at the dogs next year. (I am not agreeing with this just relaying what was said). They all felt it was the worst handling of a similar situation they had seen. Barrett was adamant the club could not get a pick better than 20. The others agreed saying no club would give high picks after the Dogs had detailed all his faults. Barrett said there was some lying (not the word he used) about the situation by both sides when asked how Jake could not have seen it coming based on the talk in his end of season interview. Pickering disputed this. He was basing this on what Bulldog player clients of his had told him Jake had said to them following the exit interview and that he walked out believing all was good.
The reason Barrett and co are spouting the line that the club has handled it badly is because they can't find out anything concrete and they're hoping to goad the club into making a statement by making up outrageous claims. Naturally the club is not falling for that.

The reason Barrett and co are spouting the line that the club has handled it badly is because they can't find out anything concrete and they're hoping to goad the club into making a statement by making up outrageous claims. Naturally the club is not falling for that.
No body knows what our bottom line is going to be and it's driving the media crazy.

Just talked to an ex-player of ours who I won't name but his initials are EJ. Reckons Stringer will be at the Dogs next year.

Scrag I have told you before , try Bex !
You won't have those weird halucegenic side effects !

Prefer to hold, but assuming there's a strong desire to leave these are some potential trades I could live with if we have to:

- Essendon for 12 and their next years second
- Geelong for 20 and their next years first
- Catlton - Stringer, Gibbs, Lever three-way (maybe more to crows...).

The last one first the first one second and the second one last

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Guys.
Regaurding this whole Jake Stringer situation. It came as a complete shock to me and tbh at first I was devastated and didnt want jake out no way. However going by what the media is saying and what Stringer has said I feel as if he is on the way out or Beveridge is planning and plotting something. I am at the point in life regaurding my beloved team I genuinely dont care what reporters and people say. I totally have full faith in Beveridge and what he is planning and plotting. If Getting rid of Stringer is the best move for the club going forward and Beveridge says it is he has my full backing even though it will tear my heart open to see Stringer in another team.

# StandByBeveridge

I still believe he is a good chance to stay with us next year and beyond that.. The whole situation might just be the shake up he needs to pull his finger out and dedicate himself 100%.

I havent seen a quote from any one close to the story saying he definitely wont be at the Bulldogs next year. Until then, we are in the box seat to keep him and hopefully getting him back to his best or if a trade does go through, it must be purely on our terms and a win for us.

Looking at this objectively, we have a player that is 5 years in and still not developed the tank to go into the middle more than is being asked by the coach. Yes, he's a natural goal kicker, can't take anything away from that, but that's not how Bevo wants us to play. Carrying stay at home forwards isn't what won us a premiereship.

My take is he's been asking for more from Jake for years. We all saw that game against North in 2015 where he came off the backline twice and burst through to create and kick a goal. Why haven't we seen more of it?

I'm absolutely certain he's been challenged many times, to do more, be more. He's even been dropped to the VFL but I dont think it changed much. In 2015 he had a stellar goal kicking year. 2016 was more of the same goal kicking wise though he was dropped. We all know why. And we know his shortcomings. Because those shortcomings have been the same his entire career. Workrate.

Understand that maybe, in another team, things would be different. But our team isnt built that way. Everyone must run, cover ground, chase and tackle and above all contest. And that's just what we see on the outside. There have been questions over his training, over his discipline to rehab.

Which are magnified given the amount of injuries he's copped this year. Did the lackadaisical approach to his rehab lead to an injury in a crucial game which decided our finals chances against Port Adelaide? We'll never know the answer, but if you step out there not having done everything you could to be fit, what does it say?

Obviously I have no idea how the exit interview went. From what I can read from Jake, he may have taken the criticism in a blaise manner. Or he simply did not read the magnitude of the situation that had been building.

I also think he was genuinely shocked to be put on the trade table. Because even with all the signs pointing to a trade scenario, he was simply oblivious to it possibly happening.

A day after the news broke of Jake being on the trade table the messaging from the club was that he would only be traded for fair compensation that we sort or he would remain a Western Bulldogs player. That's your cue right there to put your head down, put the training and programming in place to be the best player you can be and possibly find some sort of resolution with the club where you've demonstrated a want to improve.

But instead he's gone onto radio with his manager, expressed "shock" as if to imply he's done nothing wrong and then demanded a trade to a club of his choosing.

Sorry, but Bevo has a demonstrated ability to empathise and connect with the players. He's also very direct. I wonder if Stringer accepts responsibility for this situation?

Last edited:
We seriously overrate Stringer on what he could be on glimpses he has shown not what he has actually done.

Even in his AA year 2015 most of his good games were against the ordinary teams. His performamce in big games to this stage has been ok to average to poor with small cameos at best

It is these cameos that has us value him so highly as we are afraid they will become consistent.

As we showed last year and the Tiges this it is not the xfactor that wins the big games it is the relentless pressure and then taking your opportunities

Jake has this capability but up till now has not shown the fierce determination required to deliver this consistently on the big stage

He was not the key to our premiership forward line, Cordy provided more, just as Reiwolt is not the key to Richmonds.

The sky will not fall on our heads if Jake goes and unless his attitude to football significantly changes nor will he come back to bite us.

I hope he stays and commits to himself to push to be the complete footballer he could be with the work ethic and commitment to match.

If not move on as we are not losing a player such as Danger or Buddy and boy didn't those clubs struggle after they left!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ironically, Wayne Carey penned this article before the crucial Port Adelaide game where Jake got injured in the first 10 minutes..

Wayne Carey has urged faltering Western Bulldogs star Jake Stringer to change the way he plays, with the Bulldogs' premiership defence hanging in the balance.

Carey, one of the game's greatest forwards, with 727 career goals, believes Stringer needs to stop being a player who only flies for the spectacular marks and start working harder for his midfielders.

Stringer, who kicked 56 goals in his 2015 All-Australian season, has managed just 24 from his 15 games this year, including 10 games with one goal or less.

"Now that [Jack] Redpath's out, [Tom] Boyd's not playing … sometimes I think he has to be stronger in his conviction," Carey said.

"He needs to make sure that when they need an outlet, he has to work hard to be that outlet … not allow someone else to be that player.

"Sometimes you need to be that guy."

"Clearly he's an extremely talented footballer and it was only a few years ago that he was All-Australian and what I noticed about him in that year, he's such an explosive athlete and can kick the ball a country mile," Carey said.

"He's got all of these marvellous attributes and it all came together for him. But since then he's changed elements of how he plays.

"He doesn't to me look like he wants to come to the ball carrier. He doesn't want to be the guy sitting under the footy, he wants to be the guy leaping over the back."

In 2015, the Bulldogs' talisman had a lot more support in the forward line. He was aided by Stewart Crameri and Tory Dickson, who combined for 82 goals.

With Crameri sidelined, Carey admits Stringer hasn't had the same support this season, but he wants Stringer to return to being a dynamic beast.

"Players now just sit behind and say 'We're not going to allow you to go back towards goal' and now he's easier to defend.

"When I'm watching him some times I'm saying to myself: 'You've got to come up and make it easier for the ball carrier, not harder for them'.

"Contest to contest to contest to contest, that's how he has to be thinking, not just marking contests."

Just to float a different idea, Geelong may be able to get a deal done if they re-sign a few players (say motlop, Menzel and cockatoo) to long term deals and then trade them to us and offer to pay their salaries. Allowing us extra cap space could be something that gets the deal over the line, given that those three players would otherwise cost us over 1 million per year collectively.
sorry but I would not touch any of those three players. they are spent. too slow and in big games they go missing. no way.

Scrag I have told you before , try Bex !
You won't have those weird halucegenic side effects !
well if you remember one of my posts about the three angels who blew the ball kicked by tom Boyd in the GF and scored the crucial goal. well I saw the three angels again and they were singing a song accompanied by a harp tune. it kind of said stringer stays and becomes a super star. the lyrics were written in the clouds.

well if you remember one of my posts about the three angels who blew the ball kicked by tom Boyd in the GF and scored the crucial goal. well I saw the three angels again and they were singing a song accompanied by a harp tune. it kind of said stringer stays and becomes a super star. the lyrics were written in the clouds.

We would all like to order what your on loco ;)
Put me down for a couple of Kgs !

We seriously overrate Stringer on what he could be on glimpses he has shown not what he has actually done.

Even in his AA year 2015 most of his good games were against the ordinary teams. His performamce in big games to this stage has been ok to average to poor with small cameos at best

It is these cameos that has us value him so highly as we are afraid they will become consistent.

As we showed last year and the Tiges this it is not the xfactor that wins the big games it is the relentless pressure and then taking your opportunities

Jake has this capability but up till now has not shown the fierce determination required to deliver this consistently on the big stage

He was not the key to our premiership forward line, Cordy provided more, just as Reiwolt is not the key to Richmonds.

The sky will not fall on our heads if Jake goes and unless his attitude to football significantly changes nor will he come back to bite us.

I hope he stays and commits to himself to push to be the complete footballer he could be with the work ethic and commitment to match.

If not move on as we are not losing a player such as Danger or Buddy and boy didn't those clubs struggle after they left!!!
How dare you give a balanced opinion.
Potential is a word too often used

But instead he's gone onto radio with his manager, expressed "shock" as if to imply he's done nothing wrong and then demanded a trade to a club of his choosing.

Sorry, but Bevo has a demonstrated ability to empathise and connect with the players. He's also very direct. I wonder if Stringer accepts responsibility for this situation?

He said in the interview he knew he had done the wrong thing.......

He said in the interview he knew he had done the wrong thing.......
How are we all supposed to choose one person to blame everything on if people like you keep correcting us?

For the record, I blame Tristan Tweedie for not mediating the bevo-stringer stoush effectively, and it's clear the club feel the same because they delisted him.

And Barrett is trying to get some revenge for the fact that he spent two years carrying on about the Toyd deal and was made to look completely stupid about this time last year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back