Opinion Stringer theory. NO ESSENDON SUPPORTERS.

Is the Stringer situation beyond repair? Now in its correct thread, even if nobody asked for it.

• The club clearly want him out the door.

Votes: 102 34.7%
  • This was just a shot across Jakes bow as a means of motivating him. He's going nowhere.

Votes: 49 16.7%
  • The club is clearly a rabble. Sack Macca!

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • This is just the first play in massive trade that we are not yet privy to.

Votes: 19 6.5%
  • This is a game of blink and Jake and Conners just blinked.

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Its time to move on a negotiate the best deal we can.

Votes: 36 12.2%
  • I felt sad for Jake on that stage with Conners pulling his strings.

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • To lose 1 CEO may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose 4 looks like carelessness.

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • The Jack 'Armageddon Option' Watts Option.

Votes: 12 4.1%
  • We've warned you about creating polls Norm! Yet for shame you persist.

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • You really don't create enough polls Norm.

Votes: 32 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gutter Trash Jounalism .
Fortunately it was released GF eve where most people are thinking about the main event. She talks about stuff for nearly 2 years ago . When they first separated the club would of placed supports around Jake . It's what jake did this year that has him/club in this situation . He is not being retrospectively sacked from events two years ago . Who knows what the final trigger was for Bev . Perhaps it was just more of the same this year after extensive interventions . So do we trade away for what most people think we now be a second rounder? Or do we keep jake and hope that this experience will at the very least help him mature as a person and learn important lessons from his errors .

Maybe I 'm out of touch.

People have relationship break-downs. This sometimes happens when one party is pregnant. It's not great, but it happens.

People also have gambling addictions. With help, they can get past them.

There is nothing in this article that would put me off if I was Essendon or Geelong.

The reason he's being shipped out must be something else, otherwise it feels we're about to make a colossal mistake.

I had no interest in him until I read the article!

Pick 11 is yours for this bloody larrikin

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is it not obvious the coaching staff have made a call, cleared through HQ, that he is expendable?
We have a good enough list and talent coming on, a swathe of talented players coming into their prime, finals hardy and have already proven that we can win - but we cant wait for jake to stop chasing lolitas and the trifectar at Randwick, because we cant play with 17 on the park against the better teams and win. We want success, the bont needs more bling!

It won't drive down his price. Other clubs are surely aware of this stuff. People talk, and footy players are friends. A lot of this has already been on bigfooty if you sniff around the edges of the 'scandals and rumours' forum.

As a former pokies addict I hope Jake admits he has a problem & actively seeks change, or he'll be a very sorry man by the end of his career. Imagine earning millions of $$$ and having none left at the end. A common story in pro soccer - http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/41239996

As a father of three kids, one from a previous marriage and unpleasant divorce, I hope these two can sort out their differences, let go of the past and stop badmouthing the other parent, especially in the press.

This is all a bit sad and I can't wait until trade week is over.

I heard that Liam Picken was not talking to Stringer so for team unity it's best he goes.

How do all these women that have supposedly slept with Jake have his missus phone number to be able to send her texts to taunt her ? Is her mobile phone number publicly listed . Think the article has being written by an Essendon nuffie adding a bit of mayonnaise on top.

The most odd thing in the article to me ...... WTF JJ was in the birthing suite with her WTF ???? Just odd in too many ways

"She went to a boxing lesson and was hanging on the couch with Stringer’s teammate Jason “JJ” Johannisen, who was so close to the couple that he was in the birthing suite when Abby was in labour. "

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just because he was in the birthing suite doesn't mean he was there for the birth. He may have left beforehand. Labour can go for many hours and sometimes people have extra support people to help out
I do think it's kind of a weird choice of support person, but lets not jump the shark

For those who blame the club, what did you expect the club to do?

There is a welfare manager available to speak to who could link Jake into counselling for gambling or relationship counselling. The fact that Abby was managing the finances tells me that some sort of intervention has taken place, undermined by the manager who still gave him money.

If Abby and JJ didn't know he was screwing around, can you reasonably expect the club to know? Abby states everyone knew but her, more a statement than truth. Abby is understandably angry, she has lost her partner, she money, self esteem and feels betrayed. She has lashed out but she could have done this 12 months ago, maybe she does genuinely believe it will help him now, as misguided as I think it was.

If your relationship breaks down, do you expect your employer to allow you to slack off with your work for two years?

The reality is that help is available for Jake, but he has to want it. His 'shock and I am upset' routine on the media, implies he doesn't get that he has created this mess.
No one has the full facts but Abbey herself is very critical of the club in the updated story online saying they didn’t do enough for jakes issues.

I’m not saying they did or didn’t but if Abbey has said it, it’s hardly surprising that others here would come to the same conclusion

Projected envy? Dude, your worse than I thought.
Pethaps you have trouble understanding stuff you haven't been through.
Sadly, this is not isolated behaviour. Having been close to one situation has meant becoming aware of other similar things happening at that club. Of course, that club doesn't exist in a vacuum...
As you said, you'd advise your daughter to choose carefully. Why? Because you'd be "morally outraged" if the same thing happened to her.
Dude, just because you're not affected personally doesn't mean it's no big deal.

From my own experience of mixing on the fringe of AFL circles as a younger man, I can - unfortunately - support the crux of your observations. Some of the behaviour towards women was, at best, misogynistic. At worst...well, there would have been legal ramifications. It was a world that was difficult - actually impossible - to understand, let alone condone, as an outsider. I found it reprehensible, and ended friendships because of it. I'd imagine that this is one of the significant, relatively unpublicised demands upon most football clubs in terms of man management. And I also imagine that Abby came to the conclusion - rightly or wrongly - that it should be a little less unpublicised.

No one has the full facts but Abbey herself is very critical of the club in the updated story online saying they didn’t do enough for jakes issues.

I’m not saying they did or didn’t but if Abbey has said it, it’s hardly surprising that others here would come to the same conclusion

No she did not. She said the club did not support her the players did

For those who blame the club, what did you expect the club to do?

There is a welfare manager available to speak to who could link Jake into counselling for gambling or relationship counselling. The fact that Abby was managing the finances tells me that some sort of intervention has taken place, undermined by the manager who still gave him money.

If Abby and JJ didn't know he was screwing around, can you reasonably expect the club to know? Abby states everyone knew but her, more a statement than truth. Abby is understandably angry, she has lost her partner, she money, self esteem and feels betrayed. She has lashed out but she could have done this 12 months ago, maybe she does genuinely believe it will help him now, as misguided as I think it was.

If your relationship breaks down, do you expect your employer to allow you to slack off with your work for two years?

The reality is that help is available for Jake, but he has to want it. His 'shock and I am upset' routine on the media, implies he doesn't get that he has created this mess.

The lack of understanding of some posters here is beyond beleif.

Football clubs may not be perfect but the amount of support and guidance Jake could and DID receive was many times more the average man on the street would in most cases.

HE has not as yet accepted fully he has an issue and nothing WILL change till he does.

There is more than just in the article and right now I more hope he has and is accepting support from those who look after his welfare. He is not the devil incarnate, just a young lad who is living his late teens after missing out on them through his decisions.

Once he is on the journey to sorting out his personal issues he can then focus on his footy if that is what he loves. At that point he could become the player all hope he could.

If he doesn't he unlikely will so trading him or him staying becomes a mute point

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are young men with high testosterone, too much money, time and women chasing them - what do you expect? Of course its not isolated its entirely ****en normal!
You seem incapable of acknowledging

Why persist with this facade of empathy. Abby has the excuse of knowing Stringer since he was 13 and entered into a relationship with him when she had no idea what it would be like as a partner of an AFL player. You don't

Get back to me when you're sober...dude.

In some ways I fail to see the nexus between Abby's claims and why we want him out. So there must be more that we don't know on how those things mentioned in the article impacted on the group.

If there were players that didn't approve his actions well not sure if that's enough to want him out. If his actions were effecting his commitment then that's an issue but that can be addressed if Jake wants to.

You can take a camel to water but you can't make it drink. So Jake needs to want it but he may think I don't have a problem as all these things are not affecting my commitment to the club in terms of football. We all can't be the perfect citizens.

Jon Ralph article today in HS has Essendon bragging how good and feared they will be with Jake and indicates Jake has declared he will not return to the Dogs. Not sure where he has made this declaration Jon can you point it out.

Things will get interesting from here as we seem desperate to get him out of the club BUT we cannot under no circumstances be take advantage of. We need a good deal because he is a talent with years left in his career and is contracted which may mean nothing given we want him out.

I feel the door has been shut to him staying and how you get a deal you deserve from here is difficult.

Unless something changes now and I mean next couple of days now that Jakes actions have been put in public domain and he may try to reach out to club,mates etc we will find it hard to get the deal we deserve.

Today will be difficult with all the revelations and been GF you cannot think about 2016 on this day.

The club has not commented since Bev comments, so one cannot be sure what dialogue if any they have had with Jake.

Last edited:
Will have exactly zero effect on his trade value. Seriously. Every club knows about his infidelity and his gambling and more.

If every AFL footballer that gambled and cheated on his misses was a no-go zone for teams, we wouldn't have a competition. Seriously. What a beat up.

This.

He's a philandering gambler. That's a widespread problem in the AFL. It differentiates him from how many people (both players and coaches) exactly? How would it be if clubs didn't give him a chance because of this. That makes the issue several times worse. You don't develop a supportive culture by shafting people.

It also puts Barrett's intimation that he was an ice addict to bed.

And also, I don't mean to be pedantic (and it's still horribly shitful behaviour that shouldn't be accepted under any circumstances) but the girl wasn't underage as a few of you were claiming. Look at the law in Victoria. Should it be underage? Probably.

In some ways I fail to see the nexus between Abby's claims and why we want him out. So there must be more that we don't know on how those things mentioned in the article impacted on the group.

If there were players that didn't approve his actions well not sure if that's enough to want him out. If his actions were effecting his commitment then that's an issue but that can be addressed.

You can take a camel to water but you can't make it drink. So Jake needs to want it but he may think I don't have a problem as all these things are not affecting my commitment to the club in terms of football. We all can't be the perfect citizens.

Jon Ralph article today in HS has Essendon bragging how good and feared they will be with Jake and indicates Jake has declared he will not return to the Dogs. Not sure where he has made this declaration Jon can you point it out.

Things will get interesting from here as we seem desperate to get him out of the club BUT we cannot under no circumstances be take advantage of. We need a good deal because he is a talent with years left in his career and is contracted which may mean nothing given we want him out.

I feel the door has been shut to him staying and how you get a deal you deserve from here is difficult.

Unless something changes now and I mean next couple of days now that Jakes actions have been put in public domain and he may try to reach out to club,mates etc we will find it hard to get the deal we deserve.
There is nothing wrong with what you are saying in regards to the article.

The issue is his behaviors plural ARE affecting his ability to play football and his attitude to the want of support of teammates HAS created a rift with the playing group.

This is a fact. However, this does not mean he should be traded for unders. Trading for unders imapcts on us and says to him he is a lost cause.

His football value is a mid first round being AA 3 seasons ago with 2 ordinary seasons since

Given the details of this controversy, I think you're unfairly apportioning blame on a lot of people.

An employer and fellow employees can only go so far in interfering in an employee's personal life. If you don't know how those people responded, which we really don't, I don't see how you can apportion blame on them?

The point of difference between this situation and similar others in the AFL is that Jake's ex partner was willing to publicly air all of the dirty laundry contemporaneously. There will be many WAGS with stories like hers, unfortunately, but we will never hear about them.

The cynic in me says doing this benefits her desire to build a profile for herself and become a celebrity in her own right. But, if she's been treated poorly by Jake, then she's entitled to use whatever platform she has to discuss whatever aspects of that she chooses, if she thinks that is the right thing to do, regardless of who it may adversely impact.

This is the flip side of being a footballer - great opportunity comes with great risk.

There are no winners here.

Spot on. It defies belief that people are still willing to shift blame to Bev and the club.

Some demanded answers as to why Jake was being traded - we very professionally kept personal issues quiet. These issues become public and instead of backing Bev and the club and think, hmmm maybe they do have the best interests of the players at heart, people want to continue to blame without knowing the facts. I honestly can't work it out.

When you sift through the morally outraged, the aggressive posts accusing others of questioning morals, the disrespectful nature of some posts, the wild accusations without facts and the blaming of the club, there's actually some fairly measured and considered posts. I feel like a Chinese immigrant at the gold fields trying to find them though.

This.

He's a philandering gambler. That's a widespread problem in the AFL. It differentiates him from how many people (both players and coaches) exactly? How would it be if clubs didn't give him a chance because of this. That makes the issue several times worse. You don't develop a supportive culture by shafting people.

It also puts Barrett's intimation that he was an ice addict to bed.

And also, I don't mean to be pedantic (and it's still horribly shitful behaviour that shouldn't be accepted under any circumstances) but the girl wasn't underage as a few of you were claiming. Look at the law in Victoria. Should it be underage? Probably.
How does this put what Barrett says to bed. It merely confirms some of the issues.

Btw I am not saying Barrett is correct but nothing has come out that puts it to bed

You missed one other angle. Punting. I hope to God it wasn't on footy games.
I was at the Caufield races a month ago with a bloke who told me Jake was/is a very regular attendee at his local TAB. More often than not at opening time and dressed down to avoid being easily recognised (understandable for anyone in the public eye I guess). He also said that he was often accompanied by or met up regularly there with 3 other dogs players. Hopefully he's not the only one in our midst with a serious gambling problem. It seemed from his observations that the nags were Jakes go, maybe dogs too, who knows. If there's any evidence of AFL punting I'm guessing the matter will be taken out of the hands of both the club and Jake.

How does this put what Barrett says to bed. It merely confirms some of the issues.

Btw I am not saying Barrett is correct but nothing has come out that puts it to bed

This shows what created the rift with players and other issues in the club. Not "putting it to bed" but I'd say it's implausible and more so as a result of this article now.

Last edited:
Reread it.

They have uploaded a updated article saying the club didn’t give the Jake the support needed, or that whatever they gave him wasn’t enough
Apologies yes it does state this. But it is scemantics as to this being critical of the club moreso blaming more people for Jakes action and acknowledging that the club was engaging Jake which they definitely did

There is nothing wrong with what you are saying in regards to the article.

The issue is his behaviors plural ARE affecting his ability to play football and his attitude to the want of support of teammates HAS created a rift with the playing group.

This is a fact. However, this does not mean he should be traded for unders. Trading for unders imapcts on us and says to him he is a lost cause.

His football value is a mid first round being AA 3 seasons ago with 2 ordinary seasons since

Thanks that puts the nexus in some form of context for me.

Do you think the door is permanently closed on him remaining? Is it a real option that he could remain from both club and Jake? Yes there is the proviso Jake needs to want but do you think he is now at the point of no return?

This shows what created the rift with players and other issues in the club. Not "putting it to bed" but I'd say it's implausible and less so as a result now.
There are other ramifications which come with a losing gambling addiction which are not addressed.

There are different issues causing different issues within the playing group not just one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back