Stuart Fox leaves and the search for a replacement CEO

Remove this Banner Ad

I think most are overstating the importance of a CEO.

He needs a modicum of business sense, the ability to read accounting reports and to be able to get the best out of the people working for him.
And to be able to make a reasonable speech.

That is all.
I think what you've described there is the bare minimum requirements. We need someone who exceeds that. Particularly during such a big turning point for the club both on and off field (Dingley).

wow

You realise they are often a prime driver of increasing revenue?

and that we need to pay for dingleyland, FIFTY MILLION DOLLARS?

this is incredibly important

I deal with a number of CEO's on a regular basis.

It's not like coaching a footy team; CEO's set the agenda and guide the company, it's more like running a steady ship and not making mistakes. They don't have to be Einsteins to do their job well.

And a good team under them is as important.

Nettlefold, de Jong in two-horse race for Hawks CEO job

The Australian
9:19AM April 21, 2017

The vacant chief executive job at Hawthorn has narrowed to two candidates — former Australian Olympic Committee CEO Fiona de Jong and former St Kilda CEO Michael Nettlefold.

The Australian understands the successful applicant for the role with Australia’s biggest sporting club, first advertised on February 11 after previous chief executive Stuart Fox left for the plum position as CEO of the Melbourne Cricket Club, is expected to be announced within days.

No woman has ever run an AFL club as their general manager, but Peggy O’Neal has been president of Richmond, the competition’s first female club chair, since October, 2013.

A lawyer, de Jong was the country’s highest-ranked female sports executive before stepping down late last year from her executive position at the AOC, where she held senior roles for 12 years.

Nettlefold, a former St Kilda and Fitzroy player, was CEO of the Saints between April, 2009 and late 2013. He oversaw the club’s relocation to Seaford from Moorabbin.

That experience appealed to the Hawks, as one of their priorities over the next decade is their $60 million relocation to a 28ha headquarters at Dingley. The new training and administration base could be completed by 2022, but probably a few years later, with plans to include a museum, and MCG and Etihad Stadium-sized playing fields.

The environment at Hawthorn changed dramatically after The Australian exclusively reported in January that the AFL’s second-in-charge Mark Evans was almost certain to replace Fox at Hawthorn.

Gold Coast chairman Tony Cochrane, previously unaware of Evans’ desire to become a club CEO, moved “heaven and earth” to steal the league’s general manager of football operations away from the grasp of the Hawks to take up a similar role with the Suns.

“I read the story in The Australian and started making a few phone calls to high places and to Mark, and persisted until we got our man,” Cochrane said last month. Evans, who was appointed Gold Coast CEO on February 28, moved to the AFL from Waverley Park in 2013 after nine years heading the Hawks’ football department.

The Hawks officially became the biggest sporting club in Australian last year when they overtook Collingwood’s powerful rank-and-file support by attracting a club-record membership tally of 75,351.

Following huge profits in recent years, the 2013-14-15 premiers, who are winless after the first four rounds this year, recorded a net operating profit last year of $2.6 million. During Hawthorn’s three-peat of premierships under Fox, their combined profit was a massive $10.45 million.

Hawthorn’s major sponsorship deal with the Tasmanian Government is guaranteed until the end of 2021. The contract to play four premiership games in Launceston each season for five years is worth almost $20 million to the Hawks, who engaged Pacific Search Partners to assist them in the recruitment of their new chief executive.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...b/news-story/2b1b0d07383555cdd60eaf8c0de5fad8

Hasn't the move to Seaford been a bit of a mess for the Saints? Not sure that's a feather in Nettleton's cap.

Read this about de Jong - sounds like she has skills for getting dickhead athletes out of trouble. Could be a handy skill at a foot club!

"A lawyer, De Jong faced what was arguably her greatest test at the AOC when she was called on to extricate the nine Australian athletes arrested by Brazilian police and charged with falsifying documents after they altered their accreditations to gain entry to a basketball game in the last days of the Rio Games.

De Jong extracted an agreement which meant the athletes were fined (the AOC paid the fines) but were allowed to leave the country on the Australian team’s charter flight the day after the closing ceremony."

De Jong extracted an agreement which meant the athletes were fined (the AOC paid the fines) but were allowed to leave the country on the Australian team’s charter flight the day after the closing ceremony."
lol "...successfully bribed Brazilian officials..."

Nettlefold, de Jong in two-horse race for Hawks CEO job

The Australian
9:19AM April 21, 2017

The vacant chief executive job at Hawthorn has narrowed to two candidates — former Australian Olympic Committee CEO Fiona de Jong and former St Kilda CEO Michael Nettlefold.

The Australian understands the successful applicant for the role with Australia’s biggest sporting club, first advertised on February 11 after previous chief executive Stuart Fox left for the plum position as CEO of the Melbourne Cricket Club, is expected to be announced within days.

No woman has ever run an AFL club as their general manager, but Peggy O’Neal has been president of Richmond, the competition’s first female club chair, since October, 2013.

A lawyer, de Jong was the country’s highest-ranked female sports executive before stepping down late last year from her executive position at the AOC, where she held senior roles for 12 years.

Nettlefold, a former St Kilda and Fitzroy player, was CEO of the Saints between April, 2009 and late 2013. He oversaw the club’s relocation to Seaford from Moorabbin.

That experience appealed to the Hawks, as one of their priorities over the next decade is their $60 million relocation to a 28ha headquarters at Dingley. The new training and administration base could be completed by 2022, but probably a few years later, with plans to include a museum, and MCG and Etihad Stadium-sized playing fields.

The environment at Hawthorn changed dramatically after The Australian exclusively reported in January that the AFL’s second-in-charge Mark Evans was almost certain to replace Fox at Hawthorn.

Gold Coast chairman Tony Cochrane, previously unaware of Evans’ desire to become a club CEO, moved “heaven and earth” to steal the league’s general manager of football operations away from the grasp of the Hawks to take up a similar role with the Suns.

“I read the story in The Australian and started making a few phone calls to high places and to Mark, and persisted until we got our man,” Cochrane said last month. Evans, who was appointed Gold Coast CEO on February 28, moved to the AFL from Waverley Park in 2013 after nine years heading the Hawks’ football department.

The Hawks officially became the biggest sporting club in Australian last year when they overtook Collingwood’s powerful rank-and-file support by attracting a club-record membership tally of 75,351.

Following huge profits in recent years, the 2013-14-15 premiers, who are winless after the first four rounds this year, recorded a net operating profit last year of $2.6 million. During Hawthorn’s three-peat of premierships under Fox, their combined profit was a massive $10.45 million.

Hawthorn’s major sponsorship deal with the Tasmanian Government is guaranteed until the end of 2021. The contract to play four premiership games in Launceston each season for five years is worth almost $20 million to the Hawks, who engaged Pacific Search Partners to assist them in the recruitment of their new chief executive.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...b/news-story/2b1b0d07383555cdd60eaf8c0de5fad8
Did I read this right? Tony Cochrane only made the move to make Mark Evans their CEO when he read in a paper that it was rumoured we were going to make him ours? If so that is hilarious. One for the head-****ed thread!

I hope we go with de Jong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fiona de Jong sounds like a terrific candidate. I'd love her to be the first ever female CEO of an AFL club, especially at ours too.

According to reports, Clarko is totally out of control.

Can she, or anyone, smack him around some?

Where are these reports from
I will state again
Clarko himself at the huddle meeting said he has mellowed

What you have infers workplace bullying and no place in an elite performance environment

You missed the sarcasm font, I believe.

“I read the story in The Australian and started making a few phone calls to high places and to Mark, and persisted until we got our man,” Cochrane said last month.

I stuck that into Google Translation and did an AFL-speak to English conversion:

McLachlan: Mike told me to say we're taking over the Suns. He wants our man in place before he steps down.

Cockroach: No f***k'n way. Whoever your man is, the answer's NO.

McLachlan: Look, we pay all of your bills, and we supply all of your privileges. We might withhold some of that -

Cockroach (interupting him): Haha, you've gotta be joking.

You're not about take any of that stuff away, no matter what we do. You threatened GWS with that line after the whitfield thing blew up; when you couldn't sweep it under the carpet any longer - and when push came to shove, you caved and let them go unpunished for orchestrating that cheating scheme.

So, my final answer is this:
Go and take a flying leap, you little rodent.

McLachlan: OK, you're right. Mike said that even you might be clever enough to see through that threat.

Here's the deal. You take Mark Evans and do whatever he says. In exchange, we won't leak any of those dirty little Suns secrets we've been sweeping under the carpet - and there's lots. And we'll let you keep your role, and everyone will pretend you're in charge.

Oh, and we'll pay whatever it takes to induce Mark to work with you - and we both know that'll be heaps.

Mike says that's final.

Cockroach: Ah, so our new CEO... it's Mark who?

Remove this Banner Ad

Stuart Fox leaves and the search for a replacement CEO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back