Sub-Continent sooks reckon that Gilly cheated

Remove this Banner Ad

I got a response.....

----------------------------------------------------
Thank you. Those are the views of the writer.

For your information this paper has lasted for 89 years and it will last forever Aussie or otherwise

Thank you

Editor
----------------------------------------------------

Hotmail identified it as spam. Pretty smart....

Reads like something bushranger would write. ;)

Thats exactly right and thats what you're dealing with. Does anyone remember the Australian tour of Sri Lanka where match referee Chris Broad sounded out Murali's action and then the following day the Sri Lankan media came out with stories of how he was having drinking sessions with the Australians? I mean thats the nutshell of it for mine. And all the more reason to pay no attention and have a laugh. They're comical.

hahahaha.... that article about the sri lanka doctor is the funniest thing I've read in awhile.

alluding to the fact that the tournament was so long and tiresome? that performance enhancing drugs are the only reason the aussies could bear through the boredom? increased energy? lmao!!!

maybe we should force hoggy to take a drug test too?

he always has that slightly disturbing smirk/grin on his face when he is playing cricket....

nothing to do with the fact that he is doing something he loves....

he is a freaking pothead!!!!

cheats!!!!

definitely hope that newspaper/portal isn't a reputable media source.

Well may we laugh about this, but the Sri Lankan Cricket Authority is apparently seriously considering lodging an official complaint. There is even word they want Gilchrist and Ponting suspended. They are accusing the Australians of being "unethical".

I don't know about others, but I've had just about enough of Sri Lanka. From that fat idiot Arjuna I-need-a-runner-tunga to the blatant cheating with Murali's chucking. They think they have the right to label the Australians as unethical????

If I were on the Board of Cricket Australia, I'd warn the Sri Lankans that if they go ahead with this ludicrous claim, they will not be welcome in Australia next summer. I certainly will not watch any of their matches next season, I've had a gutful.

The very last people to label others as unethical should be the chucking cheating Sri Lankans. I can just see the ICC (Gavaskar, etc) seriously considering this, and if they do, Australia should withdraw from the ICC and invite teams to tour Australia. Stuff the ICC, and stuff the Sri Lankans.

I was listening to some idiot named George on SEN claiming if Sri Lanka knew Gilchrist had a squash ball in his glove they would have changed tactics and bowled full tosses. Bob Meuleman came on and said the one full toss they bowled to Gilchrist ended up 28 rows back in the stands.

No more Sri Lanka for me, I'm ignoring them completely from now on.

Well may we laugh about this, but the Sri Lankan Cricket Authority is apparently seriously considering lodging an official complaint. There is even word they want Gilchrist and Ponting suspended. They are accusing the Australians of being "unethical".

I don't know about others, but I've had just about enough of Sri Lanka. From that fat idiot Arjuna I-need-a-runner-tunga to the blatant cheating with Murali's chucking. They think they have the right to label the Australians as unethical????

If I were on the Board of Cricket Australia, I'd warn the Sri Lankans that if they go ahead with this ludicrous claim, they will not be welcome in Australia next summer. I certainly will not watch any of their matches next season, I've had a gutful.

The very last people to label others as unethical should be the chucking cheating Sri Lankans. I can just see the ICC (Gavaskar, etc) seriously considering this, and if they do, Australia should withdraw from the ICC and invite teams to tour Australia. Stuff the ICC, and stuff the Sri Lankans.

I was listening to some idiot named George on SEN claiming if Sri Lanka knew Gilchrist had a squash ball in his glove they would have changed tactics and bowled full tosses. Bob Meuleman came on and said the one full toss they bowled to Gilchrist ended up 28 rows back in the stands.

Yeah I heard that on SEN too. Pretty funny. George was going on about how the energy of the squash ball was the reason why he was able to hit the ball so far. He didn't even know that it was a broken squash ball that really just acts as a spacer. What a dill.

Clicky

The revelation caused uproar here, with Sri Lanka Cricket secretary Kangadaran Mathivanan saying the matter could be taken up during next month's International Cricket Council (ICC) annual general meeting.

You could pretty much guarantee they'll take it up.

Why can't sub-continent teams admit they were not good enough? Sri Lanka garnered a lot of sympathy prior to the cup final with most neutrals seemingly rooting for them. This however strongly smacks of sour grapes.

As much as we dislike the South Africans, especially for their pre-match rubbish, they usually become laudatory towards us after a loss. Ditto the poms. You never hear them crying foul.

And look at Pakistan, not only is Asif back in the squad but he's named as vice-captain. If Australia had included 'drug cheats' like the Pakistanis sent to SA, imagine the whingeing emanating from that part of the world!

There are definitely double standards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A team with the countries leading ball chucker can hardly have a sook.

Sour grapes for bad losers.

:thumbsdown:

The sub continent always find excuses to whinge when Australia wins cricket tournaments. I offer them this solution - with your populations being bigger than ours (sri lanka's is actually round about the same as ours) why dont they find 12 cricketers to represent their countries and play AS A TEAM and not as individuals which they seem to do ad nauseum. I cant wait until crybaby Sunny Gavaskar comes out and tries to get the result overturned because gilly used a squash ball while he was batting. I dont think they will get anywhere if Sri Lanka decide to issue a formal complaint. Most of the Sri Lankans I know love gilly and dont see anything wrong with him using the ball.

I was going to get out and see at least one game when they come out but now on principal, I refuse. I'll make the money up to CA in sheild matches, womens games etc.
No wonder everywhere SL go they get bagged. They always find something to complain about and make excuses for their loss.
They even complained about Murali's 'run out' by McCallum being 'unsportsman like' lol The ball was still in play! Murali's fault for being a f***** idiot. Sore loosers.
Do they seriously think that aus wouldn't of won had Gilly not got his ton (which he would of gotten, ball or no ball). As always, one of the other batsmen would of stepped up. SL said themselves that on the day, our bowlers performed much better than theirs.

Stuff SL. They are the unsportman like one's. I refuse to go to any games they are a part of.

so whats the actual problem?

if Sangakarra caught Gilly early on their would not be a problem, havnt people seen Gilchrist bat before? if it was McGrath that did it then came out and made 149 it might be a valid point.

major sour grapes

On any standard or form of judicual interpretation - which would eventually have to be applied to invoke the relevant rules - Gilly has not broken any laws of cricket, and it clearly isn't an ethical breach as insinuated by the sore losers. It's the same as them complaining because he wore two pairs of inners, or had an extra strap on his pads - it will never hold water under even the closest of scrutiny, and anyone who makes a challenge such as this runs the risk of being an object of ridicule.

And coming from the team with the blatant frontline chucker of all nations.... And reaffirming what someone said earlier about that fat cheat Ranatunga - that was one unethical bastard.....

I've just scoured through the rules at the ICC website and can find nothing that deems it 'unethical' let alone illegal as the team known for cheats and chuckers are trying to imply.

I hope SL realise that they're going to have to prove to the ICC that having a small, soft ball in the glove 'improves a batmans scoring ability without doubt'. Not just for Gilly but any batsmen. If they can't prove that, and of course they can't, then they don't have a leg to stand on.
They have to be able to prove that Gilly would not of batted well if he hadn't had the ball in his glove. We all know when Gilly fires, he fires. It's just ridiculous really.
:thumbsdown:

to accuse the aussies of cheating when there cricket teams, especially Pakistan, are a bunch of drug-cheating, match-fixing, people-beating, sexist, homophobic players who are never going to be as awesome as the Aussies!

Go Gilly Go!

Sorry but are you saying that about SL or pakistan?

What I find amusing is all of the ignorant tossers who are saying that he had a full squash ball in there, which some how stored and them released kinetic energy to increase his hitting power.

The dumb dickfaces don't seem to understand that it was basically just a spacer to maintain his grip.

If I was Gilly, I'd say I had it sewn into the lining of my glove; that makes it part of the glove, and as far as I can tell, that's legal.

Well well well.
Another Aussie cheating scandal hey?

If they're not using illegal bats, or taking drugs and blaming their mum, they're finding new ways.

Congratulations to Sri Lanka. World Cup Champions.

'Gilchrist ploy a storm in a glove'
May 08 2007 at 01:34PM [SIZE=+1][/SIZE]Sydney - Australian cricket officials Tuesday dismissed Sri Lankan claims that Adam Gilchrist's use of a squash ball as a batting aid in last month's World Cup final was unfair.

Team vice captain Gilchrist, whose record-breaking 149 led Australia to their fourth title in the Caribbean, said he used the squash ball in one of his gloves to give him a better grip.

"It's a storm in a teacup, or a batting glove," Cricket Australia spokesperson Peter Young said on Tuesday.

"To the best of our knowledge it's no different to, say, putting two or three grips on the bat handle, or batting with two pairs of gloves or having inserts sewn into the palm of gloves. "All these are things which now happen. This is in the same category."

The revelation caused uproar in Sri Lanka, with Sri Lanka Cricket secretary Kangadaran Mathivanan saying the matter could be taken up during next month's International Cricket Council (ICC) annual general meeting.

"We are of the opinion that it was unethical for Gilchrist to use a squash ball to give unfair advantage," Mathivanan told AFP on Monday.

He said Sri Lanka could call on the ICC's cricket committee for stringent application of "Law 42" on fair and unfair play to ensure only the approved protection equipment was used.

Mathivanan said Sri Lanka Cricket would discuss the issue before deciding whether to raise it in London.

Young said there was no question of Gilchrist seeking to take an unfair advantage.

"He is a highly principled person. You're going to have to go a long way before you find a cricketer who has higher moral standards than Adam Gilchrist," he said.

Batting coach Bob Meuleman, who introduced Gilchrist to the technique many years ago, said he laughed when he heard the Sri Lankans had raised objections.

"Actually, it's just a little bid sad that some people think there's something sinister in it," he said. "There's not."

Gilchrist's former West Australian team coach Wayne Clark said it was rubbish to think it gave Gilchrist an unfair advantage.

"They're grasping at straws," he said.

Senior Australian umpire Bob Parry, who stood in a domestic one-day match in Perth last season in which Gilchrist had a squash ball in his glove while scoring a century against Queensland, said he had no problem with it.

"I don't see it being outside the spirit of the game. It's the same as wearing an extra inner inside a batting glove," he said.

The MCC have issued a statement saying they have no problems with Gilly.

MCC: Gilchrist did not contravene the Law or Spirit of Cricket

Date released: 8 May 2007

MCC, the Guardians of the Laws of Cricket, has today issued a response to the claims that Adam Gilchrist acted against the Laws and Spirit of Cricket when he used a squash ball inside his batting gloves during the ICC Cricket World Cup Final.

Gilchrist’s use of a squash ball was designed to alter his grip on the bat whilst at the crease, something which he was perfectly entitled to do under Law 3.6(c), which specifies only what external protective equipment is permitted for certain players.

MCC’s Laws Sub-Committee has issued a statement in which it concludes that “the incident could not be classed either as contravening the Law or as breaching the Spirit of the Game.”

MCC’s Laws Sub-Committee statement in full:

Additional material inside batting gloves

"The Law specifies only what external protective equipment is permitted for particular players. The only item for which any specification is given is wicket-keeper’s gloves. Helmets, external leg guards (batting pads), batting gloves and forearm guards (if visible) are all listed as permitted for batsmen. None has any definition or prescription. Since there is no restriction in Law even on the external form of batting gloves, let alone the interior thereof, no Law has been breached.

The umpires are responsible under Law 3.6(c) for seeing that no player uses equipment other than that permitted. Currently permitted equipment is limited to external items. Consequently there is no failure by either the umpires or others in charge of the players if they do not extend their observation to non-external items.

Most players, including batsmen, wear other items for protection, but they are not visible and so not classed as external. Wicket-keepers traditionally wear ‘inners’ inside their gloves. No objection is raised to their doing so. It is not considered unfair that, for instance, players wear chest protectors. Indeed, the authorities could be held responsible if serious injury occurred because such items had been banned.

In this case (Adam Gilchrist in the ICC Cricket World Cup Final), apparently the addendum to the inside of the batting gloves was not for protection from injury, but to improve the way the batsman gripped the bat handle. This should not be considered unfair. Similarly, it has never been considered unfair for batsmen to use two grips on the bat handle. The glove manufacturers might, for added protection against jarring, have put an extra pad of some cushioning material as an integral part of the inside of the palm. This would be entirely legal, but have the same effect on his grip for a batsman who wore such gloves.

In conclusion, the incident could not be classed either as contravening the Law or as breaching the Spirit of the Game."

MCC’s Laws Sub-Committee is chaired by Head of Cricket, John Stephenson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sub-Continent sooks reckon that Gilly cheated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back