Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Will both O'Meara and Mitchell be in the team round 1? Could this be where Sam makes his statement of where the list is going? Ward, Worpel, Newcombe could be where he heads if they keep impressing in preseason and then maybe one of JOM and Tom
Jom lead our clearances, zero chance he doesn't play! It is a problem with both together, That's why the side looked so much better with Nash & Newcombe in it the balance was right.

Sounds like Duke is ahead of Nash at this stage with Finn behind both. Worpel & Ward will play.
The big call will be on the next 3 Morrison,Phillips,Shiels try finding all 3 a spot, I have Bramble a lock for the wing.

Jom lead our clearances, zero chance he doesn't play! It is a problem with both together, That's why the side looked so much better with Nash & Newcombe in it the balance was right.

Sounds like Duke is ahead of Nash at this stage with Finn behind both. Worpel & Ward will play.
The big call will be on the next 3 Morrison,Phillips,Shiels try finding all 3 a spot, I have Bramble a lock for the wing.
Finn behind both? Nash has done sweet F all this pre season, well behind. Finn was good barring his kicking. Like everything else was good.

Worpel/Ward will play, Duke likely does and Titch/O'Meara will.

3 centre square, 2 wings, 2 bench mids.

Ward can play on a wing aswell so that's versatility, O'Meara seems he'll play a more balanced role.

Bramble aswell.

Could see it being
Ward, O'Meara, Bramble
Lynch/Reeves, Mitchell, Worpel

Duke and one of Finn/MacDonald and so on.

Finn behind both? Nash has done sweet F all this pre season, well behind. Finn was good barring his kicking. Like everything else was good.

Worpel/Ward will play, Duke likely does and Titch/O'Meara will.

3 centre square, 2 wings, 2 bench mids.

Ward can play on a wing aswell so that's versatility, O'Meara seems he'll play a more balanced role.

Bramble aswell.

Could see it being
Ward, O'Meara, Bramble
Lynch/Reeves, Mitchell, Worpel

Duke and one of Finn/MacDonald and so on.

Don’t you live in another state?

I can also read...

So can most of us here - but we don’t speak so authoritatively as though we have been track watching on a daily basis. Maybe save the lecturing other posters on preseason form to those actually watching?

Was he in the backline SYL?
Has trained with the backs all summer. Seems destined to be one of the 45 half back flankers that we are trying to squeeze into 2 spots

Well it was a nice dose of Winter out at Waverley this morning. Cloudy, cold, windy and the rain started just as I was leaving.

It was an outstanding session to witness as it was very much all match sim type drills followed by actual match sim in the format of 3 x 15min qtrs, or technically, thirds.

Overall, standout players for me today were Worpel, Macdonald & Newcombe.

SYL has provided some tasty morsels from todays session but here are my observations:

Gold:
McEvoy
Breust
Worpel
Newcombe
Ward
Lynch
Denver
Lewis
Brockman
Jeka
Shiels

Brown:
Reeves
O'Meara
T Mitchell
MacDonald
Magginess
Callow
Kosi
Moore
Philips
Howe
Gunners
Morris
Seamus Mitchell
Morrison
Unreal efforts here, Axe! This level of detail in reporting is more than any actual journo's put in to their assessments and comments and I'm a big fan of yours :)

It seems like there is a real changing of the guard through the midfield- correct me if I'm wrong but it's sounding more and more as if JOM/Titch are being forced to find roles in other parts of the ground to accommodate the new blood coming in?

I'm quite curious with regards to players in that space and the perceived hierarchy of them- Titch, JOM and Shiels have been consistently in the side for as long as they've been able/healthy, but is there much of a risk of them being pushed out? I feel that Shiels is most at risk of the three.

Given where we're at our inside mids appear to be: Titch/JOM, Worpel, Finn, Duke, Long, Macdonald, Shiels
whilst our outside mids appear to be: Morrison, Ward, Howe, Philips, Day (?), Downie (?), Cj (??), Bramble (?)
Do you see there being much cross-over between/any players able to fill both the inside and outside role effectively? I'd love for JOM to be used more as an outside/linking player but I'm not sure our list has really allowed for that to eventuate until recently.

Synthesising my own post and providing a question tldr:
Are JOM/Titch being forced into new roles to accommodate the new players?
Does our list contain more inside/outside hybrid mids than it has recently?

So can most of us here - but we don’t speak so authoritatively as though we have been track watching on a daily basis. Maybe save the lecturing other posters on preseason form to those actually watching?
Just correcting. If someone thinks that Nash who really hasn't trained and bit behind atm (doesn't mean a whole lot) is better or ahead of someone who is doing good at training, thought i mise well.

Just correcting. If someone thinks that Nash who really hasn't trained and bit behind atm (doesn't mean a whole lot) is better or ahead of someone who is doing good at training, thought i mise well.

Nash performed really well in match sim last week according to reports while Finn’s excellent form in drills hasn’t translated as well into the match sim is my understanding from reading the reports. Also Nash has performed in games at senior level while Finn hasn’t. That’s is why some of us at this point in time believe Nash is ahead of Finn.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nash performed really well in match sim last week according to reports while Finn’s excellent form in drills hasn’t translated as well into the match sim is my understanding from reading the reports. Also Nash has performed in games at senior level while Finn hasn’t. That’s is why some of us at this point in time believe Nash is ahead of Finn.

The last note on here with the one today was that Finn was good outside of kicking. Nash rehab (also not sure what for).

Important to recognise that all the training watchers are writing subjective takes on the situation- when you write with such confidence/as if stating a fact the inference there is that you have been at trainings/have some factual understanding of how we are looking to structure up come round one (which by the sounds of it, literally no one knows).

""Finn behind both? from what I've gathered, Nash has done sweet F all this pre season, and is behind the pack. It sounds like Finn was good barring his kicking. Like everything else was good. ""

Using slightly more subjective language can change the whole tone of a post and I think the above reads far less dismissive than your OP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also Finn really hasn't had a good run at it in games (also has had a huge pre season, super strong, pace wise and his very notable endurance.)

Finn had a full game last year against St Kilda, tagged Steele.

Important to recognise that all the training watchers are writing subjective takes on the situation- when you write with such confidence/as if stating a fact the inference there is that you have been at trainings/have some factual understanding of how we are looking to structure up come round one (which by the sounds of it, literally no one knows).

""Finn behind both? from what I've gathered, Nash has done sweet F all this pre season, and is behind the pack. It sounds like Finn was good barring his kicking. Like everything else was good. ""

Using slightly more subjective language can change the whole tone of a post and I think the above reads far less dismissive than your OP.
Fair point.

I read all of them aswell as the ones elsewhere and so on which is good, most of them have said Finn has been one of the better players this pre season and one of the main knocks was kicking, haven't seen many other knocks if any.

This. Nash was playing seniors in the midfield at the end of last season due to Sam’s influence - it’s not exactly egregious of someone to suggest he’ll be playing there at season’s start over Finn who has unfortunately been starved of development via VFL level games his first two seasons on the list.

Also Finn really hasn't had a good run at it in games (also has had a huge pre season, super strong, pace wise and his very notable endurance.)

Finn had a full game last year against St Kilda, tagged Steele.

The point is it’s subjective and everyone has an opinion. You continually feel the need to correct everyone based on nothing. I simply explained to you why SOME people rate Nash ahead of Finn. It’s ok if you don’t agree you don’t have to correct everyone all the time. It’s getting boring mate, you are way too over opinionated for someone who doesn’t even attend training! You know nothing more than the rest of us on here.

The point is it’s subjective and everyone has an opinion. You continually feel the need to correct everyone based on nothing. I simply explained to you why SOME people rate Nash ahead of Finn. It’s ok if you don’t agree you don’t have to correct everyone all the time. It’s getting boring mate, you are way too over opinionated for someone who doesn’t even attend training! You know nothing more than the rest of us on here.

It's fine if you rate him as a player ahead, but in terms of how they've trained this pre season that's where i disagree. Even tho i rate Finn highly.

Duke Newcombe is a genuine gift from god. Fell into box hills lap just by luck and this monster of a kid is going to become an absolute bulldozer over night.

Once he starts his winning his own ball which it sounds like he is, his defence becomes more impressive.

Where would he have gone in the draft if the season got to play out?

Track watchers, where has Newcombe finished in the time trials? Curious to see how much his fitness levels have improved during the pre-season. I remember Worpel struggled in his first year to run out games, then went onto win the best & fairest in his second season.

Duke Newcombe is a genuine gift from god. Fell into box hills lap just by luck and this monster of a kid is going to become an absolute bulldozer over night.

Once he starts his winning his own ball which it sounds like he is, his defence becomes more impressive.

Where would he have gone in the draft if the season got to play out?

I vaguely recall someone suggesting that he’d potentially have gone top 20 in the draft if 2020 wasn’t a disaster for all junior footy.

It's fine if you rate him as a player ahead, but in terms of how they've trained this pre season that's where i disagree. Even tho i rate Finn highly.

This is another thing you do repeatedly. People call you out on something and you move the goal posts!.....when I said that I meant this......
I haven’t heard anyone say they rate Nash ahead because of his pre season form this year, most people rate players over longer term performance. The truth is with Finn, his development has been stifled due to covid and he has zero runs on the board. Not his fault at all of course. That doesn’t mean he won’t make it either but he is yet to prove himself. Nash at least has some runs on the board. Of course these things can change quickly

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back