Suns in the Media - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy Franklin
64ea9d5f2b08fc07f4346a01bcb333cd.jpg
Kind of a strange move.

We already have footy icon Mac Andrew at the club.

Buddy Franklin
64ea9d5f2b08fc07f4346a01bcb333cd.jpg
Presumably he'll be heavily involved in our Indigenous programs in both North Qld and Darwin, but I'd also like to see him get involved in mentoring some of the young players like Jed Walter in the way that we've seen Alex Rance do this year.

Presumably he'll be heavily involved in our Indigenous programs in both North Qld and Darwin, but I'd also like to see him get involved in mentoring some of the young players like Jed Walter in the way that we've seen Alex Rance do this year.
What has Alex Rance actually done? Apart from promote that Loop company?

Collo is just doing Collo things, a more cohesive backline has helped him be more aggressive. From everything I've heard Rance is barely at the club.
Seems to be at the main training each week. Collins has been a lot better this year, his positioning better doesn't get lost looking at the player as much, also doesn't blame his team mates as much when his player takes a mark. Will be right up there with Rowell Anderson and Flanders for the bnf

Collo is just doing Collo things, a more cohesive backline has helped him be more aggressive. From everything I've heard Rance is barely at the club.
He was at a function I went to a couple months back having lunch n a beer with members lol

Where buddy announcement
Apparently, buddies big announcement was to do with an Auskick ambassadorship, whoopty do

Bud was at Helensvale State School today for the announcement. This program is actually the missing piece in terms of retaining youth in our game. They all get a chance to play AusKick in early primary school, then there's gap around 8-12 years of age when they are picking a sport they want to play, then at 12 years of age our academy program kicks in. It'd be better if we just kept them going the whole way with Auskick to Superkick to Academy.

I'd guess Buddy is going to do most of his work within Queensland and I'm sure he'll do the rounds of primary schools around the GC. There's definitely some kind of tie in with our club because you can see Ben Ainsworth was present in the video below:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who knows the truth but apparently Luko is massive news down there, Nicks probably needs him to keep his job beyond 2025
Agree about who knows the truth. But if Nicks flew to the GC to talk with a multi year contracted player about to come into his prime then he needs to pay a fair price. Just like we have to with Rioli.

Agree about who knows the truth. But if Nicks flew to the GC to talk with a multi year contracted player about to come into his prime then he needs to pay a fair price. Just like we have to with Rioli.
Interestingly, Twomey, who usually has good intel stayed away from Nicks met Luko. Who knows. I guess it's encouraging Twomey saying it would not be cheap trade and someone would have to pay 1M.

To me it seems Luko does not fit Dimma's plan. Is it on Dimma or Luko or both? I thought Luko played well last year in 2nd half.

Drafting Read, Walter, Andrew probably sealed Luko's fate with us.

Just like drafting King and Luko sealed the fate of Wright?

We seem to be caught in a cycle of a player doing well for a year or two, re-signing, then having a down year, then being replaced by a younger player on the up.

But who’s to say Mac’s form continues up forward, or if Jed and Read even make it to a 40 goal season like Luko (and how long do we wait for that to happen?).

Obviously we can’t play (or pay) them all, especially if they are underperforming. Just something to think about.

Just like drafting King and Luko sealed the fate of Wright?

We seem to be caught in a cycle of a player doing well for a year or two, re-signing, then having a down year, then being replaced by a younger player on the up.

But who’s to say Mac’s form continues up forward, or if Jed and Read even make it to a 40 goal season like Luko (and how long do we wait for that to happen?).

Obviously we can’t play (or pay) them all, especially if they are underperforming. Just something to think about.
Wright was definitely cap issue (Dew mentioned it). And he's not that good either.

I would keep Luko for at least one more year. Surely Read, Walter, Andrew still have a lot of growth ahead of them.
I liked how he played last year. Surely, Dimma could use him the same way. A lot of times teammates just ignore him.

But down the track it's probably a cap factor. Mac will be asking for 1M soon, Rowell too, then Walter, ...

Interestingly, Twomey, who usually has good intel stayed away from Nicks met Luko. Who knows. I guess it's encouraging Twomey saying it would not be cheap trade and someone would have to pay 1M.

To me it seems Luko does not fit Dimma's plan. Is it on Dimma or Luko or both? I thought Luko played well last year in 2nd half.

Dimma said in the press conference after the game that it's partially on both.

Luko needs to figure some stuff out and Dimma needs to learn how to best use him.

Luko is your 3rd tall, just a matter of working out how to best use him that's all.
The beauty of Mac is he can be the ultimate swingman. Looked good forward, but looks a natural intercepting defender, which allows a bit of flexibility.
Most teams play 3 tall forwards, one of which rucks a bit. None of Walter, King or Luko can do that effectively. Mac can, but that's probably too many talls up forward. Luko needs a different role imo.

Most teams play 3 tall forwards, one of which rucks a bit. None of Walter, King or Luko can do that effectively. Mac can, but that's probably too many talls up forward. Luko needs a different role imo.

Ethan Read can as he was drafted as the best Ruck man for his draft year in 2023 probably just needs more game time and experience

Wright was definitely cap issue (Dew mentioned it). And he's not that good either.

I would keep Luko for at least one more year. Surely Read, Walter, Andrew still have a lot of growth ahead of them.
I liked how he played last year. Surely, Dimma could use him the same way. A lot of times teammates just ignore him.

But down the track it's probably a cap factor. Mac will be asking for 1M soon, Rowell too, then Walter, ...
Agreed that Wright isn’t that good. He’s fine. A perfectly average forward/ruck—sometimes he wins a games, sometimes he does nothing but frustrate supporters. Rory Lobb has made a whole career at being that very player.

My point was more about our mentality to trade out players in the mid 20s age bracket for essentially 18 year olds who might be better.

But if we want to trade Luko, we have to do it now. His trade value won’t get any higher unless he recaptures his form, in which point we won’t want to trade him anymore anyway…
Ethan Read can as he was drafted as the best Ruck man for his draft year in 2023 probably just needs more game time and experience
I feel Read won’t be ready to ruck for some time. 3rd tall defender at best next year, following in the footsteps of Mac. But having Mac and Read in the same team will be exciting in a few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Suns in the Media - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back