Support staff appointments

Remove this Banner Ad

After helping Melbourne Storm to victory last weekend, Ballarat’s Simon Kearney is now taking up a role with St Kilda Football Club.

Kearney, head of sports science at Melbourne Storm, was instrumental to the team’s grand final victory.

“My role was prescribing workloads for players through the season – knowing when to push them harder and knowing when to hold them back,” Kearney said. “I’ve just finished my second year with the club, and have just signed a three-year contract with St Kilda.”

Kearney will start at St Kilda on Monday.

READ MORE : http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/...resident-instrumental-in-storm-victory/?cs=63

Don't like him. Can't put my finger on why.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-his-stripes-with-tigers-20120929-26s5f.html

The son-in-law of Mick Malthouse has emerged as the secret weapon in Melbourne's charge to the grand final. When asked about the biggest difference he has found in his second stint at the club, Ryan Hoffman pointed to the influence of Simon Kearney, the head of their sports-science unit.

Don't like him. Can't put my finger on why.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-his-stripes-with-tigers-20120929-26s5f.html

The son-in-law of Mick Malthouse has emerged as the secret weapon in Melbourne's charge to the grand final. When asked about the biggest difference he has found in his second stint at the club, Ryan Hoffman pointed to the influence of Simon Kearney, the head of their sports-science unit.

Squiz you cant condemn him because of dubious family members. Remember President Jimmy Carters brother Billy? The redneck brother, even had a beer named after him, "Billy Beer." Should Alec Baldwin be condemned as each subsequent family member (Daniel, Stephen & William) seems to be drawing from a diluted genetic pool?

Important to note that Kearney's relationship is not genetic, but rather through marriage. So outbursts, arrogance and a need to have the world revolve around him, won't necessarily be present.

Squiz you cant condemn him because of dubious family members. Remember President Jimmy Carters brother Billy? The redneck brother, even had a beer named after him, "Billy Beer." Should Alec Baldwin be condemned as each subsequent family member (Daniel, Stephen & William) seems to be drawing from a diluted genetic pool?

Important to note that Kearney's relationship is not genetic, but rather through marriage. So outbursts, arrogance and a need to have the world revolve around him, won't necessarily be present.

Another good example for your point would be the Costello brothers, Tim and Peter

Yeah, I guess he hasn't been caught smelling his own farts (yet).

images

Another good example for your point would be the Costello brothers, Tim and Peter

Or the forgotten Costello brother, Lou Costello. And not to mention Tony Abbott's brother that he doesn't speak of, William "Bud" Abbott.

I think if Dani is half as pretty, intelligent, footy-smart and generally talented as her sister Christi, we can forgive the bloke, surely. :)

Hang on , Jimmy was as much a simple redneck as Billy, he just kept it hidden.

The Melbourne Storm are a class act when it comes to professionlism and creating a good team culture. They really do develop people really well, even ordinary people you would never expect to succeed. The only exception was cheating Waldron, but this doesn't take away the fact they are a very professionally run club.

A very good addition for St.Kilda.

The thing that's got me concerned is the huge mid-season slump by Melbourne. They won the first nine matches to be top of the table and extreme favourites to win the flag.
The next ten matches resulted in only three wins - they dropped from outright favouritism and slipped down the ladder.
Then they won the next eight matches including three finals and the premiership.

Part of the reason for this was personnel, but there was something rotten at the club during its slump.

The other thing that has me a little concerned is the difference in demands that AFL has on bodies than NRL. NRL is a burst sport where some stamina is required for the constant backwards and forwards motion after each tackle, but the focus is on powerful bursts of speed and strength in tackling. AFL has those facets but the main focus is stamina. Players are generally taller, lighter and more agile.

I'm sure sports scientists know all this. I am just saying that the sports science doesn't translate automatically from one code to the other and there may be difficulties encountered in adapting to the new code.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got a strange feeling the club is going to surprise everyone with it's performances over the next few years. A few nongs over on the footy board are already tipping us bottom four, which is preposterous, but we are being completely written off in general.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but he's just come from a title winning club in a hard physical sport. In what universe does that not count for, well, a god damned lot?

I've got a strange feeling the club is going to surprise everyone with it's performances over the next few years. A few nongs over on the footy board are already tipping us bottom four, which is preposterous, but we are being completely written off in general.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but he's just come from a title winning club in a hard physical sport. In what universe does that not count for, well, a god damned lot?

Apart from 2009 and 2010, bottom four is where these nongs have us each year :cool:

The thing that's got me concerned is the huge mid-season slump by Melbourne. They won the first nine matches to be top of the table and extreme favourites to win the flag.
The next ten matches resulted in only three wins - they dropped from outright favouritism and slipped down the ladder.
Then they won the next eight matches including three finals and the premiership.

Part of the reason for this was personnel, but there was something rotten at the club during its slump.

The other thing that has me a little concerned is the difference in demands that AFL has on bodies than NRL. NRL is a burst sport where some stamina is required for the constant backwards and forwards motion after each tackle, but the focus is on powerful bursts of speed and strength in tackling. AFL has those facets but the main focus is stamina. Players are generally taller, lighter and more agile.

I'm sure sports scientists know all this. I am just saying that the sports science doesn't translate automatically from one code to the other and there may be difficulties encountered in adapting to the new code.

Wasn't he at Collingwood before the Storm? Probably where he met Malthouses daughter.

What do they think we're going to tank!

I'll eat my shoes/hat if Bill Pullman isn't secretly a Baldwin spawn.

You know, in the same manner Emilio Estevez is a Sheen.

That's a brilliant article itemizing the Saints program and staff changes putting us at the forefront of sports science.
Also check out the image of a ripped Dempster in an action shot.

As part of a considered and deliberate restructure, the Club is now applying greater focus on High Altitude Training as well as other new initiatives such as blood analysis and sleep programs.

What the hell are those??

I've met plenty of people (some fit, many not) that have problems with sleeping properly. They study (film) you for a night to see what the problem might be. Could be awkward for Rooey. :oops:

I'm surprised they don't do blood analysis now. Instead of relying on players telling you how they feel, you can verify it independently.

edit:
This might interest you:
http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2012/03/14/afl-knows-nothing-slams-malthouse/

Malthouse was close with Collingwood sports science guru David Buttifant.

“The club doctor - he will say about a player who is injured, ‘yes he is out, no you can pick him, or whatever you want to do'.

“The club scientist - he will examine the player’s blood and strength.

"The doctors don’t want to be mucked around with trying to find out whether the player’s quad muscle is equal to his left leg, or his right leg, or what it was six months ago.

“That’s up to the scientist. They do all the testing.

"The scientist will go back to the doctor and say, ‘ok, clinically he’s right, but I’m telling you the strength of his right quad is 15 per cent lower than it was six months ago’.

“Now, the doctor won’t have that information. So technically what’s happening is, the science is actually ruling him out - even though the doctor will have the last say.

“But he will take that information in.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Support staff appointments

Remove this Banner Ad

Back