Supporters - Request an External Review

Remove this Banner Ad

RJK Tiger

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Reading the Hawthorn story, i am deeply disturbed. That these horrendous stories seem to be coming out of multiple clubs is incredibly alarming.

Just listening to Eddie Betts speak on 360 & his clearly shattered presence was something that really impacted me. This shit just needs to stop. Betts suggested that EVERY CLUB should stand up & commit to an external review & to be honest i think he is right. These stories just never seem to cease & its gone on way too long. We no longer can just wait for the smoke before we start looking for the fire. I want to stress, i have as much faith in our club than ANY CLUB to NOT have been involved in this sort of horrendous behaviour, however, the time has come for all clubs to pick the scab of their past and expose the truth so supporters can judge them on their own merits.

If our club stood up and was the first to commit to an external review of the same nature & then be proven to be e club we all expect it to be, i would honestly be prouder of that then i am about the 3 flags.

As i said, i am NOT calling for this as i believe our club would be guilty of anything - but i do agree with Eddie Betts that all clubs should do this & i would be proud of our club to be leaders in doing that

bring it on. we have done more for the indiginous community than most.
100% agree.

And if we have dropped the ball somewhere, lets just deal with it now and no live in the dark about it.

I am sick of the stink around our great game. It's everywhere & enough is enough. This is what happens when you let a scumbad like Gil run your league for a decade.

Considering we have the greatest number of indigenous players and hundreds of kids at the club with the institute I don't really think it's necessary. We have the Maurice Rioli room, the club shouted a few NGA kids to boarding school at a cost of about $50k each P/a. To me it would just look like grandstanding. If the review also covers how we only got 5 measly games out of Eggie and nobody else from the NGA id be in favour.

Considering we have the greatest number of indigenous players and hundreds of kids at the club with the institute I don't really think it's necessary. We have the Maurice Rioli room, the club shouted a few NGA kids to boarding school at a cost of about $50k each P/a. To me it would just look like grandstanding. If the review also covers how we only got 5 measly games out of Eggie and nobody else from the NGA id be in favour.

I would think considering we have the largest number of aboriginal players that would probably be the best reason for us to do one & lead the way in doing so.

I think its sad you see it as grandstanding. It's not at all. Its called being a industry leader & i believe our club is that.

You are welcome to your opinion of course mate, just dont agree with it. I think we both agree though in that we have a lot of faith in our indigenous system

Reading the Hawthorn story, i am deeply disturbed. That these horrendous stories seem to be coming out of multiple clubs is incredibly alarming.

Just listening to Eddie Betts speak on 360 & his clearly shattered presence was something that really impacted me. This s**t just needs to stop. Betts suggested that EVERY CLUB should stand up & commit to an external review & to be honest i think he is right. These stories just never seem to cease & its gone on way too long. We no longer can just wait for the smoke before we start looking for the fire. I want to stress, i have as much faith in our club than ANY CLUB to NOT have been involved in this sort of horrendous behaviour, however, the time has come for all clubs to pick the scab of their past and expose the truth so supporters can judge them on their own merits.

If our club stood up and was the first to commit to an external review of the same nature & then be proven to be e club we all expect it to be, i would honestly be prouder of that then i am about the 3 flags.

As i said, i am NOT calling for this as i believe our club would be guilty of anything - but i do agree with Eddie Betts that all clubs should do this & i would be proud of our club to be leaders in doing that

I think Richmond was the first ( and only ??) club to commit and actually implement a Reconciliation Action Plan .

that in itself is a massive piece of work .
But yeah , I’d support going even further , and for all cultures .

I still think of those poor kids . Horrifying.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I would think considering we have the largest number of aboriginal players that would probably be the best reason for us to do one & lead the way in doing so.

I think its sad you see it as grandstanding. It's not at all. Its called being a industry leader & i believe our club is that.

You are welcome to your opinion of course mate, just dont agree with it. I think we both agree though in that we have a lot of faith in our indigenous system
Agree, and just because we are doing fantastic now (by all accounts) it might not of always been the case but getting an independent review enables us to stand behind what we now practice, if we have skeletons in the closet now is the time to come come clean and have those difficult conversations, and justice if deemed appropriate to both the perpetrators and the victims.

Not just for those affected at the time but also our current and future indigenous players

I think it's kinda sad that you liked karp3_dm's post directly above mine. Read his post again. To me that's the definition of grandstanding which was exactly my point. Pamela Anderson walking into an overeaters anonymous support group ripping off her top saying come on girls let's see who's got the best rack would be the equivalent.

I think it's kinda sad that you liked karp3_dm's post directly above mine. Read his post again. To me that's the definition of grandstanding which was exactly my point. Pamela Anderson walking into an overeaters anonymous support group ripping off her top saying come on girls let's see who's got the best rack would be the equivalent.

It’s called due diligence.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get your point, but i just think that is the glory that comes along with being a leader in a particular field. We should be proud of what we have built if it can stand up against the microscope. We have been shat on from the hills and back regarding our direction in other area's (ie covid, concussion protocols etc ). If we have been the industry standard in this area then we should totally be proud of that allow ourselves to enjoy that

I remember Dusty was "warned" to stay away from Dan Connors.
Your right lets have an external review.

I don't really get the tone of your answer.

Dan Connors was an Ex-Player the club had pretty good insight into who he was. Don't think them passing such judgement on peoples wives, girlfriends & families is the same thing.

I don't really get the tone of your answer.

Dan Connors was an Ex-Player the club had pretty good insight into who he was. Don't think them passing such judgement on peoples wives, girlfriends & families is the same thing.
So you believe whats allegedly happened at Hawthorn and the basis of what Eddie Betts has said is the need for an external review of our club?Who's going to pay for the review for starters and why have one on the back of an outsider with absolutley no evidence to support such a review.This all came about after the kennett/Cyril episode which rightly led to the review.
Now unless Eddie or anyone else has evidence that the RFC has acted in such a disgraceful manner then a review is a waste of money.
Hence the Dan Connors example.Thats about as close it gets to anything of the Hawthorn saga.

100% agree.

And if we have dropped the ball somewhere, lets just deal with it now and no live in the dark about it.

I am sick of the stink around our great game. It's everywhere & enough is enough. This is what happens when you let a scumbad like Gil run your league for a decade.

To be fair he’s better than the preceding guys. Vlad in particular should be in jail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, and just because we are doing fantastic now (by all accounts) it might not of always been the case but getting an independent review enables us to stand behind what we now practice, if we have skeletons in the closet now is the time to come come clean and have those difficult conversations, and justice if deemed appropriate to both the perpetrators and the victims.

Not just for those affected at the time but also our current and future indigenous players

Yep, and it's even more than that - it's finding if we have people we need to help if we, The Club, have somehow caused harm through any outdated modes or models of seeking the ultimate success. It is fair to say success has many faces. Peggy would be all over this, either as guiding counsel to the new President, or having undertaken something similar already.

Last edited:
To be fair he’s better than the preceding guys. Vlad in particular should be in jail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
they are the human centipede of leadership

kyle broflovski cheers GIF by South Park

I have to be honest, i am really impressed at the response from this. When i posted it i wasn't sure how some would react, but its clear as day that despite many of us disagreeing on a lot of things, this is a topic we all stand together on.

So you believe whats allegedly happened at Hawthorn and the basis of what Eddie Betts has said is the need for an external review of our club?Who's going to pay for the review for starters and why have one on the back of an outsider with absolutley no evidence to support such a review.This all came about after the kennett/Cyril episode which rightly led to the review.
Now unless Eddie or anyone else has evidence that the RFC has acted in such a disgraceful manner then a review is a waste of money.
Hence the Dan Connors example.Thats about as close it gets to anything of the Hawthorn saga.

It doesn't need to be that complex as an External Review. I'm sure the list of player (ex or current) to contact is not particularly large and as it would or should be largely anonymous or discrete, the review would then synthesis and recommend an action or actions that would better the organisation as whole, and if something required some sort of reparation, better it is identified ASAP as the longer the lag, the harder the reparation. #KiwiTiger would be well placed to comment on this perhaps.

I have to be honest, i am really impressed at the response from this. When i posted it i wasn't sure how some would react, but its clear as day that despite many of us disagreeing on a lot of things, this is a topic we all stand together on.
At the end of the day life would be pretty boring if we agreed on everything and having debate (somtimes rigorous) about what our club is or should be doing on and off field is fantastic especially if people have different ideas and challenge our own

But overall I think it’s universal that we want our club to be doing absolutely everything it can to ensure the welfare of our players and staff and whatever success we get shouldn’t be on the back of un ethical practices that could have detrimental affects on the lives of those involved

Supporters - Request an External Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back