Supporters - Request an External Review

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn't need to be that complex as an External Review. I'm sure the list of player (ex or current) to contact is not particularly large and as it would or should be largely anonymous or discrete, the review would then synthesis and recommend an action or actions that would better the organisation as whole, and if something required some sort of reparation, better it is identified ASAP as the longer the lag, the harder the reparation. #KiwiTiger would be well placed to comment on this perhaps.
I don't see the need for something that isn't there.

I do not see the grievances as race specific, If you have a review it should be for all drafted players.
Agree, it should be a broad spectrum analysis of the treatment of players. I genuinely get the feeling everyone gets treated the same at our club whether they're Italian, Sudanese, Croatian, Indigenous and that's how it should be. Not isolating one specific group for review while ignoring other possible issues.

The work our club has done with First Nations people (and other groups) to make sure they are included and cared for is the thing that I am proudest of about our club.

That said it hasn't always been like this and there will no doubt be people that have been mistreated or feel aggrieved about how they were treated - no organisation that has been around for 100+ years is going to have a perfect record.

I would be in favour of a review (if we have not already done one - I wouldn't be surprised if there already has been something done with KGI).

I'd endorse a report into our culture, in recent history as far back as the 80's ex-players Phil Egan & Michael Mitchell, Andrew Krakouer who played in the early 00's, have tons of respect for RFC, the Rioli family trusting the club to recruit Danial & Maurice Jr says so much, Shane Edwards whose been at Punt rd since 07 and the current group of indigenous boys love the club, Matt Parker who just left us, his opinion of our culture couldn't be higher. These are ex & current aboriginal men we can proudly name, not under any alias, who've publicly talked about their experience at Richmond in recent years.

Last edited:
Reading the Hawthorn story, i am deeply disturbed. That these horrendous stories seem to be coming out of multiple clubs is incredibly alarming.

Just listening to Eddie Betts speak on 360 & his clearly shattered presence was something that really impacted me. This s**t just needs to stop. Betts suggested that EVERY CLUB should stand up & commit to an external review & to be honest i think he is right. These stories just never seem to cease & its gone on way too long. We no longer can just wait for the smoke before we start looking for the fire. I want to stress, i have as much faith in our club than ANY CLUB to NOT have been involved in this sort of horrendous behaviour, however, the time has come for all clubs to pick the scab of their past and expose the truth so supporters can judge them on their own merits.

If our club stood up and was the first to commit to an external review of the same nature & then be proven to be e club we all expect it to be, i would honestly be prouder of that then i am about the 3 flags.

As i said, i am NOT calling for this as i believe our club would be guilty of anything - but i do agree with Eddie Betts that all clubs should do this & i would be proud of our club to be leaders in doing that
Cut and paste this and email it to the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither did Hawthorn, until they found out differently.
That was started by the Kennent/Cyril saga.
If i'm not mistaken no rumblings of sorts out of Tigerland.
Jumping at shadows.

I'd endorse a report into our culture, in recent history as far back as the 80's ex-players Phil Egan & Michael Mitchell, Andrew Krakouer who played in the early 00's, have tons of respect for RFC, the Rioli family trusting the club to recruit Danial & Maurice Jr says so much, Shane Edwards whose been at Punt rd since 07 and the current group of indigenous boys love the club, Matt Parker who just left us, his opinion of our culture couldn't be higher. These are ex & current aboriginal men we can proudly name, not under any alias, who've publicly talked about their experience at Richmond in recent years.
Hence it'll be a waste of time and expense.Not one player has come out and said anything remotely close to whats happening at Hawthorn.NOT ONE.
And what some people are missing here is our involvement the the KGI institute.You think we'd mistreat our indigenous players while next door kids from remote areas are getting a chance to better themselves.

Firstly, I don’t understand the sentiment that we‘d be leaders in conducting a report - both Pies and Hawks have already done this so we would only be following their lead.

Secondly, what are we looking to achieve by conducting a report?
Certainly the hawks report is damning and makes for uncomfortable reading. Not for a second am I suggesting what has allegedly occurred is justified and I’d be embarrassed of our club if it found we had a similar story, but I am a believer in you need to learn from the past but can’t change it.

So if we are now leaders in both indigenous affairs as well as general player welfare (given some hawks allegations can apply equally to all draftees of underprivileged background- not just indigenous boys & girls), what is to be achieved by conducting a report into the past? And how far back do we go? I’m sure what occurred 50 years ago was worse than what occurred 20 years ago, so as a community we are all better now than we were in the past and what was accepted in the past is no longer acceptable.

So whilst I’m not against a report, I just think things need to be done for a reason and not because other people are doing them. And if that reason is to implement learnings from past errors but we have already undertaken those learning, does this become a report for the sake of doing a report and making us feel good about ourselves?

I think I’d rather continue to engage with all sectors of the community including indigenous and underprivileged and implement programs that are tailored to their background and culture moving forward.

Firstly, I don’t understand the sentiment that we‘d be leaders in conducting a report - both Pies and Hawks have already done this so we would only be following their lead.

Secondly, what are we looking to achieve by conducting a report?
Certainly the hawks report is damning and makes for uncomfortable reading. Not for a second am I suggesting what has allegedly occurred is justified and I’d be embarrassed of our club if it found we had a similar story, but I am a believer in you need to learn from the past but can’t change it.

So if we are now leaders in both indigenous affairs as well as general player welfare (given some hawks allegations can apply equally to all draftees of underprivileged background- not just indigenous boys & girls), what is to be achieved by conducting a report into the past? And how far back do we go? I’m sure what occurred 50 years ago was worse than what occurred 20 years ago, so as a community we are all better now than we were in the past and what was accepted in the past is no longer acceptable.

So whilst I’m not against a report, I just think things need to be done for a reason and not because other people are doing them. And if that reason is to implement learnings from past errors but we have already undertaken those learning, does this become a report for the sake of doing a report and making us feel good about ourselves?

I think I’d rather continue to engage with all sectors of the community including indigenous and underprivileged and implement programs that are tailored to their background and culture moving forward.
Well said.

I want to hear every single player's story. And I hope we can handle whatever does turn up.

There will be some warts, guys. I think we are league role models in that area now, but there will be some skeletons, without a doubt.
Relton Roberts, JON, Richie Tambling Justin Murphy?

I want to hear every single player's story. And I hope we can handle whatever does turn up.

There will be some warts, guys. I think we are league role models in that area now, but there will be some skeletons, without a doubt.
Every club has skeletons.
We have one that involves a non indigenous player who left on bad terms.

Every club has skeletons.
We have one that involves a non indigenous player who left on bad terms.
Chris Yarran?
Might not of left on bad terms but we as a club could of done better to ensure he left a better person in a better position than what he did

Even if no one is angry it doesn’t mean we couldn’t of done better

Relton Roberts, JON, Richie Tambling Justin Murphy?

Derek Peardon, Wally Lovett, Ashley Blurton, Martin McGrath, Lionel Proctor,

Plenty of guys who only spent a short time at the club in eras where we probably weren't doing any better than the rest of the country.

Supporters - Request an External Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back