Supporters - Request an External Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I want to hear every single player's story. And I hope we can handle whatever does turn up.

There will be some warts, guys. I think we are league role models in that area now, but there will be some skeletons, without a doubt.
It's not even about knowing every single 'player's story' - and I'm sure you meant that more broadly anyway. It's about the filling in the gaps that a lack of care may have left to one or more players. ie, If player A and his family deserved a better level of care, hearing what that looked and felt like from their frame of reference. Learning from that and making some sort of meaningful reparation, as and where required. Essentially being positively reactive so the Club can be better at being proactive.
It's going to happen anyway, so why not get on the front foot - if we are not already doing it.

Last edited:
Yeah we didn't buy Troy Taylor a house.
We don't even know the context of that - could be 50 different sorts of things. The point is to know what that looks and feels like from their frame of reference. Twice as much listening as talking. Hear the players, first and foremost. Sometimes it is surprising how reasonable it is to have done what was needing to be done and learning from that.

We didn’t even pickup on the fact JON couldn’t read. I’m sure there are things there but we’ve made changes on and off field, a review of our culture 10-15 years ago is almost counter productive at this point.

Dan connors, Rhys Mackenzie, McDonough, all left in fairly acrimonious delistings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you believe whats allegedly happened at Hawthorn and the basis of what Eddie Betts has said is the need for an external review of our club?Who's going to pay for the review for starters and why have one on the back of an outsider with absolutley no evidence to support such a review.This all came about after the kennett/Cyril episode which rightly led to the review.
Now unless Eddie or anyone else has evidence that the RFC has acted in such a disgraceful manner then a review is a waste of money.
Hence the Dan Connors example.Thats about as close it gets to anything of the Hawthorn saga.

The club can pay for it. We have 100,000 members, we can afford it.

Eddie Betts doesn't need to prove evidence of shit. He is a leader because he acts like one and he can speak as one.

Richmond can now either be leaders in this field, or hide behind the bushes with the rest of the followers.

The cost of the review we can absorb without question. I would much rather they spend money on that than a majority of things the money gets spent on

I for one am not afraid of the truth

We didn’t even pickup on the fact JON couldn’t read. I’m sure there are things there but we’ve made changes on and off field, a review of our culture 10-15 years ago is almost counter productive at this point.

Dan connors, Rhys Mackenzie, McDonough, all left in fairly acrimonious delistings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you have so many 18-22 yo's coming trough your system, you are going to have problems for sure. You are never going to be perfect.

But, if kids are coming out of our system more damaged than they entered, then that's a problem. Irrelevant of race. That should never happen & if it is, the club should be supporting them until they are good to go.

If it's systematic and competition wide like Eddie Betts is alluding to, then the AFL should commission an independent review of all clubs. Gil and his cronies get paid the big bucks but run for cover when anything like this occurs.

I am ok with the club paying for it themselves. Its our club and its our responsibility to ensure its a safe place for all

I am ok with the club paying for it themselves. Its our club and its our responsibility to ensure its a safe place for all
Exactly. And quite frankly, I would hope we go beyond what the AFL will expect Clubs will do as a minimum as a result of any review, especially as we have the KGI.

Do all the people wanting a review realise the person who conducted the Hawks review is none other than ex Richmond player Phil Egan who currently is an employee of the club at the KGI? I'm starting to come around to the idea so long as it doesn't cost any $$$$'s. Below is a complete list of known Indigenous Richmond players from the club's historians. There might be more as Shane Edwards didn't acknowledge it for his first few years at the club and I don't recall it ever being mentioned about Stevan Jackson. Players listed in Green are current players so Phil should already know if they have any issues with the club. Phil played with Lovett and Mitchell so surely knows their thoughts?

Players in Red all have been convicted of serious crimes, several repeatedly for serious violence and drug related charges. Some like Yarran, McGrath, Taylor and especially Murphy are truly horrific. Shockingly Martin McGrath was just convicted again 3 days ago. I smashed this research out in under an hour so surely Phil could call the remaining players listed in no time at all and the report could be done as part of his normal role at KGI so the club doesn't have to spend any of the soft cap on it. On a lighter note I saw several comments online saying Relton Roberts went to a Mad Monday dressed as the HAMBURGLAR, but the facebook pages wouldn't load. If anyone can locate that pic I'm sure majority on here would love to see it.

PlayerYearsGamesGoalsPremierships
Ashley Blurton1998-9914gms7gls
Shai Bolton2017 -2019, 2020
Nathan Drummond2015-165gms2gls
Shane Edwards2007 -.2017, 2019, 2020
Phil Egan1982-90125gms117gls
Derek Eggmolesse-Smith2019 -
Stevan Jackson1992-9321gms30gls
Andrew Krakouer2001-07102gms102gls
Wally Lovett1983-8413gms6 gls
Rhyan Mansell2021 -
Martin McGrath20034gms6 gls
Michael Mitchell1987-199181gms103gls
Justin Murphy1994-9512gms9gls
Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls2006-0913gms1 gl
Matthew Parker2021 -
Derek Peardon1968-7120gms1 gl
Marlion Pickett2019 -2019, 2020
Lionel Proctor1998-200120gms4 gls
Daniel Rioli2016 -2017, 2019, 2020
Maurice Rioli1982-87118gms80gls
Maurice Rioli Jnr2021 -
Relton Roberts20102gms0 gls
Sydney Stack2019-
Tyson Stengle20172gms2gls
Richard Tambling2005-2010108gms61gls
Troy Taylor20104gms3gls
Chris Yarran2016

Martin Leslie McGrath: Ex-Richmond footballer pleads guilty to GBH after leaving teenager in coma​

Headshot of [PLAYERCARD]Tim Clarke[/PLAYERCARD]
Tim ClarkeThe West Australian
Mon, 19 September 2022 2:10PM

I couldn't access the above article as i'm not a subscriber but McGrath was getting into strife even before he debuted and I remember Spud refusing to take him to England for a display match for behavioural issues and club was worried he'd get into mischief. 5 goals on debut, what a bloody wasted talent.

Last edited:
Chris Yarran?
Might not of left on bad terms but we as a club could of done better to ensure he left a better person in a better position than what he did

Even if no one is angry it doesn’t mean we couldn’t of done better
Yeah nah.Carlton more so than us.

There is an increasing acceptance that cultural sensitivity can override current operational norms. A predictable outcome of these 'reviews' may see drafted indigenous players having the right to remain in their home State. A right not available to other draftees or their families.

The club can pay for it. We have 100,000 members, we can afford it.

Eddie Betts doesn't need to prove evidence of s**t. He is a leader because he acts like one and he can speak as one.

Richmond can now either be leaders in this field, or hide behind the bushes with the rest of the followers.

The cost of the review we can absorb without question. I would much rather they spend money on that than a majority of things the money gets spent on

I for one am not afraid of the truth
Eddie the leader who said nothing of the crows camp for 2yrs.
Whats there to hide?
Show me proof of any wrong doing at the RFC?

Yeah nah.Carlton more so than us.
He was on our list for two years, while hiding a meth addiction and well documented mental health issues

You seriously think we couldn’t of done better? Or at the very least have some external perspective on the matter to look at things the club might of missed at the time?

Your response is a cop out and just passes the buck

But I guess ignorance is bliss

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do all the people wanting a review realise the person who conducted the Hawks review is none other than ex Richmond player Phil Egan who currently is an employee of the club at the KGI? I'm starting to come around to the idea so long as it doesn't cost any $$$$'s. Below is a complete list of known Indigenous Richmond players from the club's historians. There might be more as Shane Edwards didn't acknowledge it for his first few years at the club and I don't recall it ever being mentioned about Stevan Jackson. Players listed in Green are current players so Phil should already know if they have any issues with the club. Phil played with Lovett and Mitchell so surely knows their thoughts?

Players in Red all have been convicted of serious crimes, several repeatedly for serious violence and drug related charges. Some like Yarran, McGrath, Taylor and especially Murphy are truly horrific. Shockingly Martin McGrath was just convicted again 3 days ago. Maybe the club needs to see what financial assistance or support they can offer these past players????? I smashed this research out in under an hour so surely Phil could call the remaining players listed in no time at all and the report could be done as part of his normal role at KGI so the club doesn't have to spend any of the soft cap on it. On a lighter note I saw several comments online saying Relton Roberts went to a Mad Monday dressed as the HAMBURGLAR, but the facebook pages wouldn't load. If anyone can locate that pic I'm sure majority on here would love to see it.

PlayerYearsGamesGoalsPremierships
Ashley Blurton1998-9914gms7gls
Shai Bolton2017 -2019, 2020
Nathan Drummond2015-165gms2gls
Shane Edwards2007 -.2017, 2019, 2020
Phil Egan1982-90125gms117gls
Derek Eggmolesse-Smith2019 -
Stevan Jackson1992-9321gms30gls
Andrew Krakouer2001-07102gms102gls
Wally Lovett1983-8413gms6 gls
Rhyan Mansell2021 -
Martin McGrath20034gms6 gls
Michael Mitchell1987-199181gms103gls
Justin Murphy1994-9512gms9gls
Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls2006-0913gms1 gl
Matthew Parker2021 -
Derek Peardon1968-7120gms1 gl
Marlion Pickett2019 -2019, 2020
Lionel Proctor1998-200120gms4 gls
Daniel Rioli2016 -2017, 2019, 2020
Maurice Rioli1982-87118gms80gls
Maurice Rioli Jnr2021 -
Relton Roberts20102gms0 gls
Sydney Stack2019-
Tyson Stengle20172gms2gls
Richard Tambling2005-2010108gms61gls
Troy Taylor20104gms3gls
Chris Yarran2016

Martin Leslie McGrath: Ex-Richmond footballer pleads guilty to GBH after leaving teenager in coma​

Headshot of Tim Clarke
Tim ClarkeThe West Australian
Mon, 19 September 2022 2:10PM

I couldn't access the above article as i'm not a subscriber but McGrath was getting into strife even before he debuted and I remember Spud refusing to take him to England for a display match for behavioural issues and club was worried he'd get into mischief. 5 goals on debut, what a bloody wasted talent.
Good research but I'm sorry, why would the club offer financial support to any ex player who has been committed of a serious offence. Call me old school but I just don't get it. If you're an adult and you can't tell the difference between right and wrong then I'm sorry, you get what you deserve.

There is an increasing acceptance that cultural sensitivity can override current operational norms. A predictable outcome of these 'reviews' may see drafted indigenous players having the right to remain in their home State. A right not available to other draftees or their families.
Like Bailey Smith?

He was on our list for two years, while hiding a meth addiction and well documented mental health issues

You seriously think we couldn’t of done better? Or at the very least have some external perspective on the matter to look at things the club might of missed at the time?

Your response is a cop out and just passes the buck

But I guess ignorance is bliss
Was only with us for one year.(if you call it that).
If anyone passed the buck it was carlton.
Facts not ignorance

Was only with us for one year.(if you call it that).
If anyone passed the buck it was carlton.
Facts not ignorance
Both clubs failed him

You can’t blame Carlton for the fact the issues still remained while he was listed with us to the point that it ended his career

Both clubs failed him

You can’t blame Carlton for the fact the issues still remained while he was listed with us to the point that it ended his career
He came to us with issues(Something Carlton neglected to inform for obvious reasons)Didn't play a game due to said "mental health issues" and then in the pre-season of 17 retired due to "mental health issues".
Tell me what should've we had done?
We kept him on our list for 12mnths and even extended that too 2017.All this on the back of his days at Carlton.
Sorry but what do you think we did in those 12mnths?Just sat on our hands?
Remember Carlton were the ones who knew of his condition.

He came to us with issues(Something Carlton neglected to inform for obvious reasons)Didn't play a game due to said "mental health issues" and then in the pre-season of 17 retired due to "mental health issues".
Tell me what should've we had done?
We kept him on our list for 12mnths and even extended that too 2017.All this on the back of his days at Carlton.
Sorry but what do you think we did in those 12mnths?Just sat on our hands?
Remember Carlton were the ones who knew of his condition.
If you think Richmond didn’t know about his mental health issues before drafting him and Carlton kept them a secret you are seriously living in a warped reality

Clubs don’t employ Cold War era tactics to hide player issues from each other, at the very least the narrative you propose shows that Richmond didn’t do due diligence in its own medical testing or interviewing of the player prior to taking him on

That by itself would be a failure wouldn't it?

The idea of this type of report isn’t a witch hunt to point the finger and throw blame

If an independent report finds nothing that is fantastic, but we as a club can’t preach that we are leaders in this social aspect without putting ourselves under the same microscope that the clubs that have had found to have issues are being put under now

It’s to improve the standards overall of not just Richmond but the entire afl industry, to help insure mistakes don’t happen the future

Up until mid last year the very same defensive stance that because we don’t have any players that left on bad terms means we have had no issues you are using for Richmond could of been applied to Hawthorn

Next minute Cyril talks publicly about his experience at the tail end of his career that led to his retirement and up until this week that was only an isolated incident with only one disgruntled player and it wasn’t an issue across the actual football department, that was just Jeff Kennett being an old fossil and saying stupid comments to a family member of a player

Now we have multiple serious allegations that implement high profile peoples including two of the most highly respected senior coaches in the league who’s record on such matters were completely clean and these issues are only being talked about because of this external report and a media leak

Last edited:
Eddie the leader who said nothing of the crows camp for 2yrs.
Whats there to hide?
Show me proof of any wrong doing at the RFC?

No one has said there is wrong going on ya goober. Go read shit properly before walking around huffin' & puffin'

Not even going to bother trying to argue the validity of someone like Eddie Betts either, its obvious

If you think Richmond didn’t know about his mental health issues before drafting him and Carlton kept them a secret you are seriously living in a warped reality

Clubs don’t employ Cold War era tactics to hide player issues from each other, at the very least the narrative you propose shows that Richmond didn’t do due diligence in its own medical testing or interviewing of the player prior to taking him on

That by itself would be a failure wouldn't it?

The idea of this type of report isn’t a witch hunt to point the finger and throw blame

If an independent report finds nothing that is fantastic, but we as a club can’t preach that we are leaders in this social aspect without putting ourselves under the same microscope that the clubs that have had found to have issues are being put under now

It’s to improve the standards overall of not just Richmond but the entire afl industry, to help insure mistakes don’t happen the future

Up until mid last year the very same defensive stance that because we don’t have any players that left on bad terms means we have had no issues you are using for Richmond could of been applied to Hawthorn

Next minute Cyril talks publicly about his experience at the tail end of his career that led to his retirement and up until this week that was only an isolated incident with only one disgruntled player and it wasn’t an issue across the actual football department, that was just Jeff Kennett being an old fossil and saying stupid comments to a family member of a player

Now we have multiple serious allegations that implement high profile peoples including two of the most highly respected senior coaches in the league who’s record on such matters were completely clean and these issues are only being talked about because of this external report and a media leak

Exactly, very well said.

Basically if Clarko & Fagan are capable of this stuff, then you got to wonder who isn't. I would not have guessed this stuff happening with them 2 in a million years.

LoL.Yeah we know about Chris's problems.Here SoS we'll give you our 1st pick.

No one has said there is wrong going on ya goober. Go read s**t properly before walking around huffin' & puffin'

Not even going to bother trying to argue the validity of someone like Eddie Betts either, its obvious.
So tell me once again.Where is the smoke at PRO ala Cyril & Kennett?

Calling for RFC to take a leading role and pay for an investigation is bullshite. If we want to take a lead we should be calling for the AFL to do this competition wide and wear the cost. What’s the use if not all clubs participate. No club should be exempt from investigation.

How do you know our club didn’t treat Maurice snr or Michael Mitchell with the same disrespect Or similar?
not one club in this comp is squeaky clean here.

Supporters - Request an External Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back