Draftee
Aug 30, 2004
Other Teams
St kilda
Adam Iacobucci- Calder, Chris Stewart- Northen, Chris Graham- Sandy
Todd Burley- Eastern, Kym Jones- Dandenong, Patrick Hassett- Oakleigh
Dean Polo- Gippsland, Troy Coates- Bendigo, Sam Dwyer- Geelong,
Nigel Robinson- Murray, David Stretton- Western, Bill Driscoll- Nth Ballarat

These above names are very good chances to be suprise names in this years draft. Not many, if any will be attending the national draft camp but many or all of them will attend the state screening. Ive heard info from clubs that many of these players had either 3 or 4 afl clubs interested but not the required "5+" to make the national draft camp. Anyones views on these players?

I think you are right that most of those names, if called on draft day, would be a bit of a surprise.

Dean Polo was All Australian this year.
Polo, Iacobucci, and Dwyer are the main chances in my mind.

But if you get asked to a state screening you have got the interest of at least a couple of recruiters - a good showing there and in the finals for those competing and who know?!

Think Hasset would be a chance. Is he bottom age?

GOALden Hawk - What's the go with bottom age kids that nominate for the draft. Can they be rookie listed? The reason I ask, is that I think they would be best served doing another year at TAC level.

footyfan77 said:
Ad
Todd Burley- Eastern

Footyfan,

You seem to be in the know down at Eastern. I've got some contacts and I've heard one of the clubs have asked a tall kid called Armstrong to attend the screening? Couldn't believe it as I've seen him and told them that he can't get a game plus they have 8 other blokes that are in that side that I would take before him. What's your thoughts.

Players born between 1 January and 30 April 1987 can be drafted but not rookie listed.

Ocasionally you see a few of these bottom-age players get picked up with a final round pick because a club might think they will have to use a much higher pick to get them the following season.

However, the new CBA means all draftees have to get a 2-year deal, so that might put a stop to that (and if last year is any indication, it will put a stop to players getting drafted altogether).

Thanks for that - Although the kids would disagree - Some of those potential kids may be best served playing another year to allow them to develop.

Footymad said:
Footyfan,

You seem to be in the know down at Eastern. I've got some contacts and I've heard one of the clubs have asked a tall kid called Armstrong to attend the screening? Couldn't believe it as I've seen him and told them that he can't get a game plus they have 8 other blokes that are in that side that I would take before him. What's your thoughts.

I think Armstrong had a superb start to the season! Featured in the best for the first 6 or 7 weeks. Then i think he was injured and never really got back into it. Maybe the clubs saw him earlier on and thought theyd give him a shot?

footyfan77 said:
I think Armstrong had a superb start to the season! Featured in the best for the first 6 or 7 weeks. Then i think he was injured and never really got back into it. Maybe the clubs saw him earlier on and thought theyd give him a shot?

footyfan,

He was in the best only in rounds 8 and 9. I'm sure he is a nice kid and can play a bit, although the games I've seen he struggled. I just think Eastern have five other talls worth looking at before him (Deluca and Cloke not counted). Do you know if he's actually been asked or is the info I have incorrect?

Yes, Armstrong is one of 7 who have been invited to the state screenings from Eastern. The others are Knights, Johnson, Falovic, Holmes, Burley and Dalton. Only one going to draft camp and thats Deluca. Big surprise there is Hill missing out after a great year at CHF.

Bomberfan00 said:
Yes, Armstrong is one of 7 who have been invited to the state screenings from Eastern. The others are Knights, Johnson, Falovic, Holmes, Burley and Dalton. Only one going to draft camp and thats Deluca. Big surprise there is Hill missing out after a great year at CHF.

Hill deserves at least a state screening camp. Very stiff. He would have to be up there with the TAC CHF of the year. Im surprised to hear that.

Footymad: Think Hasset would be a chance. Is he bottom age?

Thats a pretty interesting statement considering he is Oakleighs captain. Easy to mistake he is pretty unassuming

(Log in to remove this ad.)

james barton from the chargers ---------very unassuming as well, but picks up 25-35 possies most weeks, and seems to be in their best pretty much every week.

I reckon he could be a bit of a smoky

hawkapatto said:
Hill deserves at least a state screening camp. Very stiff. He would have to be up there with the TAC CHF of the year. Im surprised to hear that.

Can't believe Hill hasn't been invited. Armstrong I thought a definate surprise but Favolic I’m choking on my weet-bix. Another 200cm bloke who can’t mark can’t punch and just stands in the hole. Similar to Lynch we might as well get Lauren Jackson to nominate for the draft.

Glad to see Burley and Dalton got a run.

wipeoff5 said:
Footymad: Think Hasset would be a chance. Is he bottom age?

Thats a pretty interesting statement considering he is Oakleighs captain. Easy to mistake he is pretty unassuming

wipeoff5

I think he is a real chance to be picked up– not sure what you mean by interesting statement? It’s hard to be assuming when you’ve got Bain, Murphy and Sharp running around in that same midfield.

What i meant is that you asked if he was bottom age, thats why it was interesting that hes their captain. I also reckon he goes alright too

wipeoff5 said:
What i meant is that you asked if he was bottom age, thats why it was interesting that hes their captain. I also reckon he goes alright too

Sorry I'm a bit slow. Thanks for clarifying

Can someone tell me of Sam Dywers chances either in the draft or as a rookie. I wouldnt expect him to grow in height much more but would expect him to fill out quite well. I would be interested in any feedback of how he performs on Sunday if any are going. Personnel interest only because I doubt CFC would pick him anyway and I think he goes for the Tigers anyway. I always like the notion of kids having a chance to play for whom they follow.

Thanks

What is interesting is that Hill missed out on SS but Dalton gets a go. He is lucky to average 5 possessions a game at either FF or FB.

Amazing really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Suprise chance from each TAC Cup club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back