Sure signs someone doesn't know anything about footy

Remove this Banner Ad

If the umpires payed HTB according to 1995 rules, the game would become a congested stoppagefest because players would hold onto the ball a lot more tightly before being tackled and then make no attempt to knock it out unless a teammate was right there, so the ball would just be balled up about triple the amount of times it is today.

I can't even imagine what your reasoning is for saying the game would be more free flowing. There would be probably double the number of free kicks and at least double the number of stoppages. With the fitness levels of modern AFL players, the ability to swarm a pack and lock the ball in is much, much greater than it was in 2004 (when it was a problem), let alone than it was in the 70s or 80s.

My reasoning is that coaches would instruct their players to adapt and play to the rules of the game. Because the rules of the sport are not upheld anymore coaches have instructed their players to do what they like knowing that they will not be penalised.
Initially there would be a lot more stoppages and free kicks, but as the weeks went on the coaches would get annoyed that their players are infringing the rules and this would stop.
At the moment 30 blokes are around the footy, one picks it up and is tackled and he throws the ball and is not penalised. Ball stays in same area as do the 30 players.
Pay the free kick for incorrect disposal or holding the ball, or head high tackle etc and immediately that ball is moved to another part of the ground and those 30 players need to get on their bike to get there. Players no matter how fit they are simply won't be able to maintain that much movement around the ground in those sorts of numbers.
I think the vast majority want the umpire to run in and ball it up after 2-3 seconds of the ball not coming out. By them not balling it up it creates these mauls which is not part of our sport.
I have no idea where in the rule book it says the game must be free flowing? I could not care less whether it is bogged down or free flowing as long as my side wins.
That is the way it always has been and should always be.
I went to plenty of games years ago where my side was 1-2 points up with not long to go and they created stoppage after stoppage to eat up time, I never once heard any supporter leaving those games thinking we need to change the rules so that can't occur.
Yes the game has changed and we have to accept that. But why anyone would care how many free kicks there are, how many stoppages there are is simply something i don't understand. Cause I could not care less.

How someone will look at footy will be different to someone else

Some here have strong opinions who will do anything to be right

One of the best things I have learned in life it's ok to agree to disagree

Play on

The AFL fixtures are fair and equitable and never favour the Collingwood Football Club in any way, shape or form.
The ignorant clowns who always whinge about a perceived bias towards the Pies. Whereas in reality they generally get the rough end of the pineapple in fixturing and umpiring decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They think Corey Enright is "underrated". I've heard 5000 people say he's underrated. Sounds like he's pretty high;y rated. Maybe it's just the people you talk to who don't rate him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure signs someone doesn't know anything about footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back