Swans - back to back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 16, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Swannies
Everyone seems to have forgotten how even the competition was for much of this season. Again, the Saints and Eagles seem to believe the PR that they just have to show up to be in the Grand Final in 2006. The Swans have proven how hard they are to beat and they look set to lose just one premiership player (Jason Ball) and they have Doyle to back up Jolly in the ruck if Spida doesn't move to Sydney.

Sydney also has a good draw. It seems to be a team that needs self belief to play well and after winning the premiership that should be sky high. Players who were fringe performers for the first half of the season have really stepped up (LRT, Buchanan - even Davis) so you'd have to say Sydney has a fair chance of winning back to back premierships.

Possible, but I doubt it.

1. Most importantly, as the poster above has mentioned - injuries. Swans had a dream run while St Kilda had a shocker. Be surprised if it happened again.

2. Sydney are not that good. Very few teams win back to back and I don't believe Sydney are in the Brisbane/Adelaide/Hawthorn class. Any of 4 teams could have won the flag this year and Adelaide and Sydney are in same boat. Maybe if St Kilda or Eagles had won they be a reasonable chance for back to back.

3. Sydney don't have that much improvement. Roos got the best out of them. St Kilda and West Coast have some improvement.

I think they'll be right up there again, but everything has to go right again, plus a few things go wrong for St Kilda and West Coast.

It will all come down to injuries and an ouce of luck. Any side in the top 4 can win. Given Sydney's good draw next season 12 home games. One trip to Adelaide and Perth, no reason why a top 4 spot is out of the question. Once there it is the luck if the irish!!!

bunsen burner said:

1. Most importantly, as the poster above has mentioned - injuries. Swans had a dream run while St Kilda had a shocker. Be surprised if it happened again.

2. Sydney are not that good. Very few teams win back to back and I don't believe Sydney are in the Brisbane/Adelaide/Hawthorn class. Any of 4 teams could have won the flag this year and Adelaide and Sydney are in same boat. Maybe if St Kilda or Eagles had won they be a reasonable chance for back to back.

3. Sydney don't have that much improvement. Roos got the best out of them. St Kilda and West Coast have some improvement.

I think they'll be right up there again, but everything has to go right again, plus a few things go wrong for St Kilda and West Coast.

I think we're as good as Adelaide of 97/98. Definitely not as good as the Brisbane and Hawthorn sides though.

We have improvement. Players such as Roberts-Thompson, Buchanan, Schneider, Kennelly, Ablett, O'Keefe and Fosdike are continually improving. Yes they could all go backwards, but that is highly unlikely.

What is this rubbish about 'everything going right'? Yes we had a good run with injuries. But our finals campaign was very tough. We had to go to Perth first up. Got beaten by a kick in a gruelling game of footy. Then had to come up against Geelong who were excellent and had just trounced the dees. We then played St.Kilda (at the 'G) who everyone wanted to be on. 'Swans have got no hope' was the common opinion. Yes they had some injuries but we beat them by 6 goals. We then beat the Eagles in a game that could have gone either way.

We were tough and hard the whole way through the finals. We had a bit of luck, but you need a bit of luck to win a flag.

There are a lot of chances next year and we have to be one of them.

...Gee Wizz..You Swans supporters are soo bloody cocky now! Back to back..Three in a row...i have to listen to it each night as i am married to one of you lot. I wouldn't be counting the chickens just yet...You won the GF albeit unconvincingly....Wait until round 1...we will tan your red and white ass! ;)

We got lucky this year. We avoided the Crows in the finals, we played West Coast away from Perth when it mattered and we met the Saints when they were injury-depleted. Not to mention playing in three finals that were decided in the last seconds of the game and making no forced changes to the side since round 16.

However, it's important to remember that the Swans had injuries too, but were good at managing them. Schneider and Barry played with broken cheekbones, Jolly had a broken finger, Kirk got 14 stitches in his head during the preliminary final, Williams had a corked thigh, Jude Bolton had a shoulder injury, Mathews had a pinched nerve in his foot, Crouch had shoulder problems. To an extent, the Swans made their luck through careful management of injuries and training programs customised for every player.

So to an extent, the Swans made some of their luck.

It's also not true that there's no room for improvement in the Swans side next year. Many of the Swans' premiership side are not yet at the peak of their careers. Players like LRT and Bevan are still inexperienced.

On the whole the Swans will probably not go back to back next year because there are 15 other sides in the competition and next year good fortune would likely favour some other side. West Coast, St Kilda and Adelaide will be up there next year. Geelong, Fremantle, Port Adelaide and Melbourne will have a big say in the makeup of the final eight. Essendon could jump up the ladder next year. Even the bottom sides could surprise by winning unexpected games. The competition is very even and under such circumstances it is difficult to go back to back.

That won't stop me buying a Swans membership next year.

Daisy..1 said:
...Gee Wizz..You Swans supporters are soo bloody cocky now! Back to back..Three in a row...i have to listen to it each night as i am married to one of you lot. I wouldn't be counting the chickens just yet...You won the GF albeit unconvincingly....Wait until round 1...we will tan your red and white ass! ;)

We're cocky? We're just suggesting that it's a bit early to write us off just yet - when others in the 2005 top 4 are regarded as likely to do well. Meanwhile, over at Eaglesflyinghigh they are trying to organise a WA long weekend for the Eagles Grand Final weekend in 2006.

Bloods said:
I think we're as good as Adelaide of 97/98. Definitely not as good as the Brisbane and Hawthorn sides though.
As good as the 97 team. Problem is that the 97 Adelaide were an anomally. One of the few teams that went back to back that weren't all dominating and all fearing.

Even top teams like Carlton of 95 and Essendon of 200 couldn't do it. Given both St Kilda and West Coast have plenty of improving to do, it will be hard.

What is this rubbish about 'everything going right'?
Because it did go right. You were deserving winners but you must admit you had a very good run with injuries. A good injury run goes a very long way. Not convinced the Swans or Crows would have finished as high had they had a normal injury run like the Eagles and had either team had a run like St Kilda's I think they would have struggled to make the 8.

Make sure you understand the Swans deserved to win the flag, but also make sure you understand how big a part injuries play. Swans had an ounce of luck and took advantage of it as most flag teams do. Like all flag teams they deserved it, but understand the context of the whole thing.

The Swans are 3rd flag favourites for next year for good reason.

There are a lot of chances next year and we have to be one of them.
Sure you are. You're 3rd line betting and at this stage that's very realistic.

lazy said:
No - we are crap - have no chance - nothing to see here.

Please move along and discuss how saints and Weagles will win it again next year.

Thank you.
Stop being a sooky la la.

Very few teams can go back to back. I'm not sure why you're so upset because people don't think you can? The Swans were the best this year but they were hardly a standout like many of the teams that go back to back.

bunsen burner said:
Stop being a sooky la la.

Very few teams can go back to back. I'm not sure why you're so upset because people don't think you can? The Swans were the best this year but they were hardly a standout like many of the teams that go back to back.

WTF? Please read my post again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thunderbird said:
We got lucky this year. We avoided the Crows in the finals, we played West Coast away from Perth when it mattered and we met the Saints when they were injury-depleted. Not to mention playing in three finals that were decided in the last seconds of the game and making no forced changes to the side since round 16.

However, it's important to remember that the Swans had injuries too, but were good at managing them. Schneider and Barry played with broken cheekbones, Jolly had a broken finger, Kirk got 14 stitches in his head during the preliminary final, Williams had a corked thigh, Jude Bolton had a shoulder injury, Mathews had a pinched nerve in his foot, Crouch had shoulder problems. To an extent, the Swans made their luck through careful management of injuries and training programs customised for every player.

So to an extent, the Swans made some of their luck.

It's also not true that there's no room for improvement in the Swans side next year. Many of the Swans' premiership side are not yet at the peak of their careers. Players like LRT and Bevan are still inexperienced.

On the whole the Swans will probably not go back to back next year because there are 15 other sides in the competition and next year good fortune would likely favour some other side. West Coast, St Kilda and Adelaide will be up there next year. Geelong, Fremantle, Port Adelaide and Melbourne will have a big say in the makeup of the final eight. Essendon could jump up the ladder next year. Even the bottom sides could surprise by winning unexpected games. The competition is very even and under such circumstances it is difficult to go back to back.

That won't stop me buying a Swans membership next year.
This is an excellent post.

As much as I like the Swans and how I wanted them to win the premiership it just didn't seem to be a great premiership side. I mean the Grand Final was really low scoring, scrappy and really the worst game of AFL skills wise for the whole season in which Sydney came out on top and recored a few moments of brilliance (Leaping Leo, Buchannan's goal).

I really don't expect Sydney to go back to back. They'll make the Top 4 IMO but just won't quite get there. But hey, prove me wrong Swans.

bunsen burner said:
Just read it again. My post still stands. If you think I interpreted it wrong then maybe you should explain what you meant because it reads one way only to me.

Bunsen - What I am saying is that I dont want people to rate us so we can get under the radar.

Jeez what a change of tune. only a month ago you were posting any pesimistic thread you could get your hands on relating to the swans , now your going for another flag.

Well for one thing, no team could have more luck on and off the field than the swans had last year so don;t expcet the AFL to provide the swinies with luck this year aswell.

Also I don;t think paul williams can make it through the whole year, he looks about ready to break-down.

bunsen burner said:

I believe Sydney have one of the worst lists in the AFL. That highlights the coaching ability of Paul Roos. The fans and board must stick by him if the going gets tough because I can’t see them being flag contenders for many years to come. I believe they have to hit rock bottom again before they truly rise again.

- Bunsen Burner, 14th June, 2003

;)

Whilst concurring with the need things to go right line of reckoning, one thing that Sydney has going for it next year is premiership pride. Questions about an eight goal premier not being a real premier are going to sit inside the club. A we'll show them mentality can onlt result.

No big shock if they pull it off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans - back to back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back