Swans - back to back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney had most things go right for them in the last four weeks of the season, a settled lineup not being the least. Unless you are unique a la Brisbane version 2001 - 2003, there is a lot of luck involved in winning a premiership. Sydney just happened to be the fittest, least injury affected team left standing on GF day.

I didn't predict it, but there are plenty who did. They may not be so lucky next year.

saintsrule said:
Sydney had most things go right for them in the last four weeks of the season, a settled lineup not being the least. Unless you are unique a la Brisbane version 2001 - 2003, there is a lot of luck involved in winning a premiership. Sydney just happened to be the fittest, least injury affected team left standing on GF day.

I didn't predict it, but there are plenty who did. They may not be so lucky next year.

Yep. We didn't face home town umpiring. We didn't have to play an away preliminary final after playing the week before.

Everything went our way. That's why we weren't screwed in the first week, and why we played our prelim at home.

its impossible to predict what the future holds anyway all anyone can do is take a stab.......

i am impressed by your humility something rare these days.

I don't think they can win back to back, surely coaches will find a way to stop their negative tactics? Still, Adelaide were lucky to win in '97 and it was unbelievable how they did it again in '98, so you never know.

CharlieG said:
Yep. We didn't face home town umpiring. We didn't have to play an away preliminary final after playing the week before.

Everything went our way. That's why we weren't screwed in the first week, and why we played our prelim at home.

Why don't you address the issues I raised? Was not about the umpiring. When it comes down to 4 points anything can happen. So you think the saints should have played you in an away prelim after winning their qualifying? Be reasonable man. One thing didn't fall your way. A lucky kick the following week fixed that.

Sydney had what no other top 4 team had by GF day - 22 players that were a damned lot fitter than any other team's top 22.

bunsen burner said:
3. Sydney don't have that much improvement. Roos got the best out of them. St Kilda and West Coast have some improvement.

Where is West Coast's 'improvement' going to come from? Aren't you going to have the same list with the same forwards? Are they just going to turn into a good structure?

I think you peaked about round 15. The Saints on the other hand had huge injuries. Your injuries were pretty soft. Gardiner is no good injured or not.

saintsrule said:
Why don't you address the issues I raised? Was not about the umpiring. When it comes down to 4 points anything can happen. So you think the saints should have played you in an away prelim after winning their qualifying? Be reasonable man. One thing didn't fall your way. A lucky kick the following week fixed that.

Sydney had what no other top 4 team had by GF day - 22 players that were a damned lot fitter than any other team's top 22.

From the Telegraph:

LEO Barry was one knock to the face away from emergency surgery. Barry entered Saturday's decider with a triple fracture to his cheekbone, a painful injury that would keep an average person off work for three weeks. Barry played with acute pain through the finals, after he was injured in the qualifying final against West Coast, risking permanent facial damage that would have required correctional surgery.

Barry Hall was unable to raise his left arm last Monday because of an injured AC joint and played the Grand Final courtesy of a painkilling injection at the start of the game and at halftime.

Other secret injuries include Ben Mathews who, with a pinched nerve in his foot, has played on painkilling injections for the past 16 weeks.

Craig Bolton has a chronic knee injury and has had painkilling injections for the past 10 weeks. And Adam Schneider also has a cheekbone broken in three places.

"And it was also not disclosed but Jude Bolton, in the Essendon game (Round 19) dislocated his AC joint, totally popped it out of his socket in his shoulder," Gibbs said. "He had painkillers in that Essendon game to keep playing and had painkillers before and at halftime for every game since.

"Some players with that same injury have missed games. Jude said that is not on and he has not missed a beat. It is a credit to him as an individual but it typifies the standard that has been set by the players.

The "Bloods" culture within the Swans playing group encourages acts of courage to win the respect of each other. Among their other wounded was ruckman Darren Jolly, who had a broken hand and played on painkillers for four weeks before the finals.

Jared Crouch was unable to walk yesterday from an ankle injury sustained at the start of last quarter on Saturday."Crouchy is on one leg at the moment," Gibbs said. "He showed amazing resilience and courage to get back on the field. Not just to go back, but to go back as if nothing was wrong."

And Michael O'Loughlin was concussed in the first quarter.

saintsrule said:

Excuses, excuses. It's ok, mate. I can :) . We have a premiership cup that says that nobody else's excuses mean a thing.

I don't care how we won it. We won it. It's ours and noone is taking it off us. They (you) can bitch and moan about injuries or lack thereof for the rest of your lives. The record books say "2005 Premiers: Sydney".

They also record that we ran all over the top of you in an away preliminary final, having had a week's less break. You guys weren't fit? Blame your conditioning staff. Oh, wait... you are.

Helix said:
Where is West Coast's 'improvement' going to come from? Aren't you going to have the same list with the same forwards? Are they just going to turn into a good structure?

I think you peaked about round 15. The Saints on the other hand had huge injuries. Your injuries were pretty soft. Gardiner is no good injured or not.

Only twice in AFL/VFL history has a team lost a grand final by two goals or less and improved enough to win the flag the following year.

Fitzroy was one in 1904. Collingwood defeated them by 2 points in 1903 and they accounted for Collingwood by four goals the following year.

The other was Collingwood in 1919 against Richmond after losing to South Melbourne by five points in 1918. On those occasions there was only eight teams competing.

Improvement is difficult for sides who just lose a grand final. Those who get soundly beaten are more prone to improving the follwoing year. 22 times the loser has improved and won the grand final the following year but not once after gripping losses in the modern era.

The West Coast mind set come next years final will be interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Helix said:
Well apparently they have Brad Smith and Bo Watters or whatever which is supposed to save them. Dont worry tho it wont, they suck!

Helix said:
Where is West Coast's 'improvement' going to come from?
The Eagles are a young team that haven't hit their peak. Same goes for St Kilda.

It doesn't necessarily mean they will improve, but all we're doing at the moment is making judgements on what we know.

Aren't you going to have the same list with the same forwards?
Although it's definitely a worry, there's a few things that might change:

1. Hansen should get better. Or more to the point, be able to run out the season.

2. Smith may or may not do something.

3. McDougall may or may not do something.

There's still potential improvement.

Are they just going to turn into a good structure?
Structure comes about with a strong forward (or two) who can take a grab, lead down the corridor, bust some packs, crack some heads, and kick some goals.

We just need one guy to stand up and kick 50. Easier said than done, but not impossible.

I think you peaked about round 15.
Not quite true. We peaked up until round 15 (with a few inconsequential lapses in between). After round 15 we ran out of legs and couldn't cover our injuries.

This is somewhere where the Eagles can expect improvement.

The Saints on the other hand had huge injuries.
Never said anything different. Have made this acknowledgement 1000 times over last 6 months.

Your injuries were pretty soft.
Our injuries were the median. Saints were bad, and yours were good.

Our inability for some of our players to run the season out made it hard to cope with our late season injuries.

Gardiner is no good injured or not.
Jury's still out. Was almost a game winner in the Wizza Cup. Just didn't get up and running all year. I'd like one more year to pass judgement.

Helix said:
Where is West Coast's 'improvement' going to come from?

If the guy who replaces Drew Banfield can kick a little bit straighter when on the run from 35 metres out ... well that'll be a 5 point improvement ... and that'll be enough.

Swans supporters who think that just because they won two finals by a total of six points that they are unstoppable are highly deluded.

However I must say that the Swans are without a doubt the hardest team in the comp .. there is not a single softcck amongst them ... but it wasn't flair or skill that won them the Premiership, it was plain old hard work and if that work rate drops just as bit they are gonna cop a few hidings next year.

If theres ever a team primed for a premiership hangover then the Swans are it.

Minkus_Swan said:
Bunsen - It must feel ******** being reminded of the grand final result almost every day considering you live here! ;)
Not really no.

1. I went to the game. Surprisingly not as upset as I thought I would be. Was gutted in 91. This wasn't as bad. Sort of like when Rafter lost Wimbledon to Ivanesevic.

2. Have always wanted Sydney to win a flag for the cause. Is good for footy and I'm happy for all the Swans supporters in my city and particularly the bandwagoners. Dumb people bag bandwagoners but if they had a brain they'd realise that people often bandwagon before being converted. Bring on the bandwagoners. More bandwagoners equals more NSW AFL supporters.

3. Have been critical of the Swans negative style of play - and still am. But it won't last forever. I'm tipping a St Kilda or West Coast will rise to new levels over the next few years and win flags with good footy.

bunsen burner said:
Not really no.

1. I went to the game. Surprisingly not as upset as I thought I would be. Was gutted in 91. This wasn't as bad. Sort of like when Rafter lost Wimbledon to Ivanesevic.

2. Have always wanted Sydney to win a flag for the cause. Is good for footy and I'm happy for all the Swans supporters in my city and particularly the bandwagoners. Dumb people bag bandwagoners but if they had a brain they'd realise that people often bandwagon before being converted. Bring on the bandwagoners. More bandwagoners equals more NSW AFL supporters.

3. Have been critical of the Swans negative style of play - and still am. But it won't last forever. I'm tipping a St Kilda or West Coast will rise to new levels over the next few years and win flags with good footy.
More power to you.

I disagree that our injuries were "good", finishing the season without Lappin, Akermanis, Brown, Leppitsch, and Keating isn't "good".

Daisy..1 said:
...Gee Wizz..You Swans supporters are soo bloody cocky now! Back to back..Three in a row...i have to listen to it each night as i am married to one of you lot. I wouldn't be counting the chickens just yet...You won the GF albeit unconvincingly....Wait until round 1...we will tan your red and white ass! ;)
lol, you have the AFL to blame for this.

Helix said:
More power to you.

I disagree that our injuries were "good", finishing the season without Lappin, Akermanis, Brown, Leppitsch, and Keating isn't "good".
Was referring to the Swans injuries. Only just realised you were a Lions supporter.

no reason we cant go back to back. It will be bloody tough though, the only other teams capable of winning are west coast, geelong, adelaide and possibly brisbane and port cant write them off. Saints and Dockers if everything went ok, thats about it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans - back to back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back