Swans mids

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought that AFL was having a hard time getting any traction in western Sydney and that the blinding success of the new soccer team had derailed any perceived progress.

I also understood that GWS was creeping its operations eastward much to the Swans disgust. Most of their Academy players seem to be from the Riverina, a traditional AFL stronghold in NSW.

Does anyone have any REAL data on AFL participation rates amongst the highly ethnic western Sydney population?

For me I like the idea that the four northern clubs are going to be drafting more talent from their own states, makes sense to lessen the go home factor given that 90% of their list is a go home risk as opposed to the 20% go home risk most southern clubs face. The pillaging of Brisbanes young talent by southern clubs for peanuts in return was a disgrace.

As for you Essendon, I object to you having so much money that you can build a replica MCG oval and a replica Etihad oval at your training base. Get real about who has what advantages, those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!
af9efefc7d.jpg
as you can see, GWS got a fair chunk of NSW, including the Riverina.

Just to make it clear, I'm not singling out the swans here, I think the scrapping of the nsw scholarship program was a mistake as a whole, it should have been expanded

There were tons of problems with the Scholarship program, unfortunately. Nice idea, but imperfect.

The Academy system is the best compromise, utilising high quality local infrastructure and coaching, with a small but useful benefit for the clubs that have invested (keep in mind players are subject to the bidding system, it's not like we get free access), and an overall benefit to the competition. In an ideal world, the Academies wouldn't be needed, but this is reality. Having first pick of these players is compensation for the time and money spent on developing these players for the AFL.

IS there any success of the NSW scholarship program succeeding?

(edit: I think Taylor Walker was a NSW scholarship player)

Craig Bird is another NSW Scholarship player, as was Nathan Gordon (who was delisted but recently re-drafted by Richmond). LLoyd Perris is the last NSW Scholarship player, I think. He's yet to debut but he's looking good.

IS there any success of the NSW scholarship program succeeding?

(edit: I think Taylor Walker was a NSW scholarship player)

Craig Bird and Taylor Walker were the first two players taken under the scheme. I would argue neither was really a product of the scheme though. They were snapped up in the U18 year by Sydney and Adelaide respectively. Walker would have been drafted regardless, and Bird almost certainly would have (notwithstanding the fact that he was eligible to be drafted as a 17yo even before he was signed as scholarship player) but was passed over. That was back in the years when players could be drafted even though they hadn't turned 18 by the end of the calendar year but couldn't be put on the rookie list.

Since then, I reckon maybe 10-20 players have made it onto club rookie lists but most have passed through without ever playing senior footy. There was a lad who played a handful of games for West Coast quite early on (Ben Davis??) Collingwood took a handful, including Witts and Tom Young (now at the Bulldogs). Aiden Riley played some games for the Crows and has now moved to another club (Melbourne?) Langford at Hawthorn is another - and I have a feeling they might have another current player who came via the scheme. Hawks fans will know. Brisbane had Richard Newell - lots of talk about him but not sure if he ever played a senior game, or if he's still on their list. Freo have a young ruckman still on their list, a contemporary of Witts. A handful moved through the Swans' rookie list over the duration, with Barney Bent already having mentioned Nathan Gordon, now at Richmond, and the very last of the crop, Perris. There are probably a handful I've missed, but I don't think I've forgotten any who are yet regular, established AFL players.

So the scheme was hardly a rip roaring success in terms of improving the numbers and quality of draftees available to the AFL as a whole, given it must have been running for 5-6 years.

Craig Bird is another NSW Scholarship player, as was Nathan Gordon (who was delisted but recently re-drafted by Richmond). LLoyd Perris is the last NSW Scholarship player, I think. He's yet to debut but he's looking good.

We have Craig Moeller. Developing slowly, but as a skinny ruckman that is to be expected.

There were tons of problems with the Scholarship program, unfortunately. Nice idea, but imperfect.

The Academy system is the best compromise, utilising high quality local infrastructure and coaching, with a small but useful benefit for the clubs that have invested (keep in mind players are subject to the bidding system, it's not like we get free access), and an overall benefit to the competition. In an ideal world, the Academies wouldn't be needed, but this is reality. Having first pick of these players is compensation for the time and money spent on developing these players for the AFL.

Agreed, especially with the sections in bold.

I understand that each academy has about 500 young players (between 11 and 19 years of age) undertaking dedicated training programs, especially skill development. While Sydney, GWS, Gold Coast and Brisbane are investing their own time and money in the hope of developing and drafting elite talent, I think each club would consider themselves very lucky if they are able to draft 1 player each year.

I think the academies should be judged as a success if at under 16 and 18 levels the standards of the NSW & QLD rep teams improves. I also hope that a substantial section go on and play in lower level leagues in NSW and Queensland, sharing their knowledge and lifting the standards of those competitions.

Can only be 'good for footy' as a whole, if some of the potential 'un-tapped' markets in NSW and QLD (especially Western Sydney and South East Queensland) are actually accessed and grown.

Cheers
Justice

What would Harry Marsh cost? Surely a cheaper option for WCE who need a big bodied mid.

Probably not much. Not only are there no obvious spots likely to open up in Sydney's midfield anytime soon, he's got a few ahead of him in the queue and a few others jostling for position. At the moment I'd say the jury is out as to whether he has what it takes to graduate to senior football but he's probably not going to get the chance if he stays at Sydney.

Any swans supporters want to list ALL their midfielders?

Mids
Hanners
JK3
K.Jack
C.Bird
J.Lloyd (Dont know where to put him yet. played d for the 2's, a great forward 50 entry kick and plays a bit of wing)

Back/Midfield
McVeigh

Forwards/Midfield
B.Mcglynn
L.Parker
Cunningham

Playing Reserves
T.Mitchell
ROK
Z.Jones
G.Hewett
L.Perris
S.Biggs

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would Harry Marsh cost? Surely a cheaper option for WCE who need a big bodied mid.

Probably the highest pick you're not likely to use... swap of picks in the 3rd round? I'm not really sure his true value but as good as he might become there just isn't a place for him at Swans - too much competition

Mids
Hanners
JK3
K.Jack
C.Bird
J.Lloyd (Dont know where to put him yet. played d for the 2's, a great forward 50 entry kick and plays a bit of wing)

Back/Midfield
McVeigh

Forwards/Midfield
B.Mcglynn
L.Parker
Cunningham

Playing Reserves
T.Mitchell
ROK
Z.Jones
G.Hewett
L.Perris
S.Biggs

Also
Robinson
Marsh
Towers
possibly Rohan but more utility

Surely we can make some value out of that... amazing to think how many of them started as late picks or even rookies. We've done a great job on the development front.

I would love Richmond to throw money at Mitchell and flick the swans say pick 5 in exchange.

Rumours that the Doggies might pitch a first rounder our way for Sam Reid too.... we might make out like bandits this draft!

As much as we might not want to trade Mitchell or Reid, anything in the top 5 or 6 picks in this draft will be extremely hard for us to turn down as the financials (COLA threats) dictate we need to reduce wages and currently our depth in some positions remains a little inbalanced.

Surely we can make some value out of that... amazing to think how many of them started as late picks or even rookies. We've done a great job on the development front.
Also
Robinson
Marsh
Towers

possibly Rohan but more utility

I wouldnt classify rohan, marsh or towers as an AFL mid. but ig guess subjective on peoples perceptions.

Rumours that the Doggies might pitch a first rounder our way for Sam Reid too.... we might make out like bandits this draft!

As much as we might not want to trade Mitchell or Reid, anything in the top 5 or 6 picks in this draft will be extremely hard for us to turn down as the financials (COLA threats) dictate we need to reduce wages and currently our depth in some positions remains a little inbalanced.

Reid trade will not be looked at, his to valuable to our structures. He is still young he will grow into his frame.

Mitchell it will be hard to let him go due to him being a F/S, probably a top 5 draft pick in his own right.

Lions board some fans say they would give pick 1 for him.

I can't imagine Longmire trading Reid out, even for a top 10 draft pick, unless Reid himself is desperate to relocate. He was signed on a long term deal a couple of years ago so remains on contract for a while yet. Longmire loves his mobility and versatility. He may not be getting much attention at the moment, given how many other players are grabbing attention, but he's playing a vital role as almost a midfield / tall wingman.

I don't really see that the financial situation is going to create anything like the issues other clubs would like to think it is. The Swans would have worked through all the COLA scenarios before committing to the Buddy deal.

Agree I think if Sydney got a good offer for Mitchell it would be hard to say no. A pick 5 or 6 is pretty much bang on his worth and will certainly make the difference for COLA purposes. It seems some swans fans want to keep Reid/Mitchell/Parker ect but someone will have to be squeezed out so if you get a even deal for it then it's an extra win for the swans.

Is Mitchell contracted?

I see him demanding a round one selection, but considering former proven top 10 selections have gone for less (#1T.Johnson -14, #5McLean-11, #9M.Clark-12, #7Caddy - G.Ablett first round compo etc), a pick in the top 5-6 seems a little steep.

Is Mitchell contracted?

I see him demanding a round one selection, but considering former proven top 10 selections have gone for less (#1T.Johnson -14, #5McLean-11, #9M.Clark-12, #7Caddy - G.Ablett first round compo etc), a pick in the top 5-6 seems a little steep.
I don't think so this year. Mitchell is better than Isaac Heeney, so he's arguably better than any of the midfielders in this year's draft. If a team is looking for a midfielder they also can't access Heeney or Waterman, and Brayshaw might go by pick 5.

Last edited:
Is Mitchell contracted?

The only comparable player in that list is Caddy in terms of age and expected future output (quantity). Johnston and McLean were most of the way through their careers when they were traded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans mids

Remove this Banner Ad

Back